Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my first rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my first rattle...

VIN #22xxx. I get a rattle from the driver's side front speaker (tweeter?). The rattle is very intermittent. It sounds like small ball bearing rattling around in a small glass or plastic cup. There seems to be no correlation as to when it occurs - sometimes it's there going over rough pavement, sometimes it's not. It's driving me crazy.

I had the dealer look at it, but of course, the rattle never occured for them. They said next time it occurs bring it back so they can hear it. I'm looking to see if there is an easy fix because I know as soon as I bring it back, the rattle will be gone for them. I can drive for 2 days straight and get no rattle, and all of a sudden it's back. Really annoying.

But I think I isolated it. It goes away when I push down on the speaker grill, so I'm wondering if there is a loose mount or something. Is there an easy way to get to the mount for this speaker? Or does the whole dash have to come apart. I can pull out the vent assembly easy enough, but the speaker mount is blocked by one of the ducts.

Anybody else out there get this?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: got my first rattle...

Originally posted by guitarob
VIN #22xxx. I get a rattle from the driver's side front speaker (tweeter?). The rattle is very intermittent. It sounds like small ball bearing rattling around in a small glass or plastic cup. There seems to be no correlation as to when it occurs - sometimes it's there going over rough pavement, sometimes it's not. It's driving me crazy.

I had the dealer look at it, but of course, the rattle never occured for them. They said next time it occurs bring it back so they can hear it. I'm looking to see if there is an easy fix because I know as soon as I bring it back, the rattle will be gone for them. I can drive for 2 days straight and get no rattle, and all of a sudden it's back. Really annoying.

But I think I isolated it. It goes away when I push down on the speaker grill, so I'm wondering if there is a loose mount or something. Is there an easy way to get to the mount for this speaker? Or does the whole dash have to come apart. I can pull out the vent assembly easy enough, but the speaker mount is blocked by one of the ducts.

Anybody else out there get this?
I think there are several forum posters here who have intermittent rattles coming from one place or another in their TL. I have one on the passenger side coming from God only knows where. The problem with trying to have the dealer fix these problems is that 9 times out of 10 they won't be able to duplicate the problem and can't fix it and you're still inconvenienced by dropping off and picking up your car.

Some here have just taken matters into their own hands and bought felt trip and started fixing the rattles on their own when they come up...that is if they can find the source.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A rattle taht is recurrent is the passanger seatbelt. If not left hanging just right it will rattle against the plillar I thought it was the headliner but not it was the dumb belt. Since the car is so quiet any little thing sounds like a racket!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:18 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by vtechbrain
A rattle taht is recurrent is the passanger seatbelt. If not left hanging just right it will rattle against the plillar I thought it was the headliner but not it was the dumb belt. Since the car is so quiet any little thing sounds like a racket!
I agree...if the car was a bit louder, it would drown out the rattles, but then we would complain that the car is not quiet enough inside. I have a couple of pretty good rattles myself. I am planning on doing some extensive searching this weekend to determine some of the causes. I will advise if I figure anything new out.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Thanks Vtechbrain for the tip! I fixed the passenger seatbelt this past weekend but it took me awhile to figure where it was coming from. This thing sounds like a dam* helicopter and is coming from somewhere over by my dash/glove box/passenger door. It starts and then stops and starts and then stops. Oh well, I'm bound and determined to figure it out!!

Thanks for the info, though!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:36 AM
8th Gear

Well, I've isolated the rattle. I can even get it to stop by pressing down on the speaker, but I need to know if the speaker mount is easily accessible without having to rip the whole dash apart.

So, any advice?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:32 PM
9th Gear

B Pillar Seat Belt Slider

I have a rattle in my driver side B pillar Seat Belt Slider. If I slide it to the bottom the rattle disappears. If I leave it in the middle, the rattle comes back.

I intend to have the dealer fix it when I bring it in to get my replacement tires from Acura (F.Y.I. They are not in yet but I have been assured by the dealer I'm 'on the list' to get them.)
Old 03-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro

Originally posted by tripp11
Thanks Vtechbrain for the tip! I fixed the passenger seatbelt this past weekend but it took me awhile to figure where it was coming from. This thing sounds like a dam* helicopter and is coming from somewhere over by my dash/glove box/passenger door. It starts and then stops and starts and then stops. Oh well, I'm bound and determined to figure it out!!
I have this elusive rattle as well! I figured out how to stop it temporarily: open and close the passenger door. But then couple days latter it's back!
Old 03-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally posted by dulnev
I have this elusive rattle as well! I figured out how to stop it temporarily: open and close the passenger door. But then couple days latter it's back!
Well, I've been stumped the last few times I've tried to isolate where it's coming from...I even had a friend ride over there and try to determine. It sounds just like helicopter blades though: vwoop vwoop vwoop vwoop vwoop....it's crazy!!!

Let me know if you find a permanent solution and I'll do the same!
Old 03-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro

Originally posted by tripp11
Well, I've been stumped the last few times I've tried to isolate where it's coming from...I even had a friend ride over there and try to determine. It sounds just like helicopter blades though: vwoop vwoop vwoop vwoop vwoop....it's crazy!!!

Let me know if you find a permanent solution and I'll do the same!
Will do. I also asked a friend to help, but it was the funniest thing ever!

I drove the car to a restaurant with my friend in the passenger seat. The rattle was louder than ever and he thought it was coming from the area of the passenger door handle.

On the way from the restaurant we switched seats and I prepared to isolate the location of the rattle and start pushing on various parts to try to silence it. But to my utter bewilderment the rattle was gone completelly! We drove around for 10 minutes on various rough surfaces and the damn thing didn't raise its ugly head.

That was last week and the rattle only came back today. I opened and slammed the passenger door and I think it was gone again. I'll see on my drive home today...

LOL!