Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my first Aucra.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my first Aucra.

I've always wanted to get a luxury sedan but I could not afford over 30K on a car.
But last week, I finally throw away my old Camry got my TL. The price was so good to refuse. Paid less than 30K on a new 2008 TL with 0.9% APR from Honda.
I think this could be the last chance I can see in my whole life to own a luxury performance sedan under 30K.
I had some rattling from steering wheel but looks like the dealer took care it. So far everything is good.

I have few questions to ask to you who own TL longer than me. (Apparently everyone of you)

1. I own a 2006 Honda Accord LX V6 (my wife drives it) and I think my Accord has much stiffer ride. I am wondering why, because TL is a performance sedan so isn't it supposed to have a stiffer ride than Accord? My accord has a 18 inch wheels and low profile tires while my TL has 17inch wheels. Is this what makes this difference? Or is it suspension? And Accord has definitely more responsive brake. Again, why not TL has more responsive brake?

2. Side moldings. Does it worth it? I hate to see any dings or chips on my new TL. (Who wouldn't?) Is it difficult to install? I saw a TL with side molding installed on the road the other day. It does not really look good. I would like to avoid having side moldings on my TL if possible. So it all comes down to how effective this thing is against dings. Will side moldings keep my blood pressure low significantly?

3. I have a very bad stain on my carpet. I got rubber mat yesterday but it was too late. I suspect my wife as the one who made that stain. The stain is not on the mat but on the carpet under the floor mat. What is the best way to remove this stain? Should I just take my car to a car wash and ask them to remove it? If I do it myself, how should I do it?

4. I read some article about 5w20 engine oil on this forum. I don't really care about that small MPG gain. I would rather use oil which better protect my engine. Can I use 5W30 mobile 1? What kind of engine oil do you guys recommend? I am in Southern California.

5. I currently have about 250 miles on my new TL. I just checked the onborad trip computer. It says my MPG is 8!!!
8 miles per gallon? Is this normal for a new car? I've been driving very gently half on freeway and the other half on local road. I did not do any racing, sudden take off or stop. I've been driving real careful because I am breaking in my engine. But 8 miles/gallon seems to be very bad MPG for this car? Is this normal?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1- its the suspension. you can get an RSB, coilovers, ASPEC suspension, etc... as for the brakes, i dont know how they are on a base TL, but you can swap them out for Brembos. lmao

2- most of the TL owners do not use BSM. if their car came with it, they remove it. so its up to you.

3- dont know.

4- i think thats what most members on here use, not sure though.

5- if your still on your first tank of gas and have driven 250 miles, then that would mean you get around 21MPG. thats what the TL gets.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by paliknight
5- if your still on your first tank of gas and have driven 250 miles, then that would mean you get around 21MPG. thats what the TL gets.
No, I am already on second tank of gas but only used 1/3 of it used. I think you are right. 250 miles with less than 2 full tanks of gas is a lot better mileage than 8 miles/gallon. Then why my trip computer says 8???!!! Is something wrong with this computer?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
i would say yes sounds like something is wrong with your computer, i would call dealer. sucks you've had 2 issues already. i have an 08 type S and still havent had anything weird happen, knock on wood. the type S brakes pretty awesomely. and i guess the suspension is stiffer too. so maybe you should talk to dealer about getting a type S? say you arent happy having 2 problems already etc etc? or not. whatev. congrats on purchase. you will love it.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
son of a...i hit a button and it erased all my typing. so i begin again...

the 08 base model has the softest suspension of all 3G models/years. they did that to create a larger difference between the base and the type-s. i have a spec suspension in my 06 and it feels much stiffer than the base 08 loaners i have driven. and i will agree with you on the brakes, it felt like it took forever to stop. i recently upgraded to RacingBrake rotors and pads, but before that i had base rotors and aspec pads and they were MUCH better than stock. good luck!!

oh, and welcome!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thelinux
4. I read some article about 5w20 engine oil on this forum. I don't really care about that small MPG gain. I would rather use oil which better protect my engine. Can I use 5W30 mobile 1? What kind of engine oil do you guys recommend? I am in Southern California.

5. I currently have about 250 miles on my new TL. I just checked the onborad trip computer. It says my MPG is 8!!!
8 miles per gallon? Is this normal for a new car? I've been driving very gently half on freeway and the other half on local road. I did not do any racing, sudden take off or stop. I've been driving real careful because I am breaking in my engine. But 8 miles/gallon seems to be very bad MPG for this car? Is this normal?
Congrats on the pick-up. I wouldn't worry just yet about the on-board computer if I were you. Give it a few more tanks and reset it once or twice before making an appointment to the dealer about that.

On the oil issue - you can use 5W30 if you want but 5W20 is fine for the car. I won't say much more than that because the type of oil to use is a religious discussion on these forums and can turn nasty very quickly. My advice: do a search, read some info and make your own decision.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
welcome.

and btw its "Acura, not Aucra" lol.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
First of all welcome to AZ

3. Try Blue Majic carpet cleaner. You can get it at Walmart. Works great on carpet and any fabric.

5. Give your ECU time to adjust to your driving habits. Run a few tanks through. Mileage is usually crappy during the break-in period. Should improve as it goes. Make sure your using Premium. Vary your speed during break it, don't be too smooth.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Thank you guys for all the good advice.
I have another question. Obviously, my TL has been sitting in the lot for over an year and the strong california sun light de-colored black plastic part located between front hood and front windshield. This plastic cover or whatever white (or gray) stain. Is there any way I can make this shiny pure black look? My car looks new and is new but only this parts makes it look used.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
^^ I agree, use the blue majic for the interior, works AWESOME! I use spot shot too though, that works almost as good and I usually have it around the house.
BTW, WELCOME!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM
usc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Armor all.

As for the suspension... it felt soft at first. I came from a '93 accord w/ 2.5 in drop and koni shocks so the change was dramatic. (Our '07 RDX has really stiff suspension as well.) I say I was bothered by the suspension feel for about a week but I enjoy it now. I must be getting old, but I don't miss the stiff suspension feel. It's the reason I paid $30-some-odd-thousand for a car. I enjoy cruising in it, I shouldn't have to fight with it.

One thing a few people fail to realize. The stiffer the suspension, more stress it puts on the rest of the car parts and you'll start finding/hearing rattles and noise from the car.

Now if it "floats" like an old Cadillac, then I'd have some serious issues with it.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by thelinux
Thank you guys for all the good advice.
I have another question. Obviously, my TL has been sitting in the lot for over an year and the strong california sun light de-colored black plastic part located between front hood and front windshield. This plastic cover or whatever white (or gray) stain. Is there any way I can make this shiny pure black look? My car looks new and is new but only this parts makes it look used.
I found this thread in the Wash and Wax section:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=restore+black

They talk about everything do with the taking care of and protecting your TL. Some great reads in there.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 PM
These colors don't run

I live in California myself and I've been looking to get a TL myself. Where did you find yours at and how much/
Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FreedomEagle50
I live in California myself and I've been looking to get a TL myself. Where did you find yours at and how much/
Weir Canyon Acura. $29500 OTD (base with no BAV.)
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Snax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your new car. You will love it!

The original oil that came with your car is designed for the break-in of your engine. Keep it in until the computer tells you to change it.

Keep the peace with your wife; a stain will come out of your carpets, but if you make a bid deal about it, you will be sleeping on the carpet.

I would use 303 protectant to bring back the natural look of the plastic or better yet, ask the dealer to replace or restore it.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Not so sure 303 will do the trick. It's a great protectant but not really a restorer. I'd get some 303 anyway for the dash and interior. Best protectant in my book and try it. Who knows, it may work on your trim.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Thank you guys.
I bought a bottle of blue magick and it worked great!!!
No worry, I don't fight over this with my wife. I don't really care what she do to my car. She and my son are more precious than anything else to me.
Got my all weather mat yesterday. It's black and my car interior is taupe. I think black is too bold with this interior color. Maybe I should have gotten beige color. What do you guys think? Will beige look better in my car?

BTW, do dealers really replace a part just because the color has been faded out? Do you guys usually do this when you bought a new car?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome linux to Azine! ^ I think the black all weather mat that you have is a good contrast with the taupe color. Plus, less dirt to be seen, just have to constantly vacuum and clean it...(with warm water & cloth at times). I have em and they're definitely worth it!

I'm guessing that if you bought it off the lot like that, and it's faded due to the sun...you can definitely go to the dealer for it and mention it...they sold you a luxury sedan - they should deliver it without looking half a%$ new. Good luck and let the modding begin!