Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy 2005 tl asking advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to buy 2005 tl asking advice

Have my eye on a 2005 TL no Navigation @ 80788 miles or 130 000 km for $15 900 CND + tax.
Got history of car no accidents looks mint condition. Have no records of maintainance. Have no idea if timing belt was done. 105k miles is the recommended interval for belt so i guess i got time at least two years to do it.

Any surprises to look forward to when i purchase the car?

For example looked at another TL battery was dead dealer can't open the trunk because of switch couldn't power the trunk release to open is this true?
This would be a problem if i had jumper cables in the trunk if ever my battery died.

Read here on the forum about rear mirror had problems.
How's the AC on these 3G TL reliable stronger then the Honda Accords?

Looked at another TL which i won't be purchasing had side mirrors smoked or had a rusted stain on them. Dealer told me thats normal for heated mirrors i said i have two other cars CL and VW Passat and never saw that happen..

The TL looks to me as too much car was leaning for a TSX but at the price TL V6 power to me is to my liking.
Cargo trunk space is 2 cubic feet smaller then 92 vw Passat and the rear seats don't fold back unlike the TSX. Torn between buying a TSX or TL especially not doing any long highway trips only short city trips.

Smooth quite V6 power is tempting versus rattle of vtec 4 cylinder especially when you get to a high mileage engine.

Shorter turning radius matters a bit helps with parking the car easier. Length of entire car 190 inch versus older car 180 inch helps in garage storage not overly concerned but helpfull.

Anyone with insight would be helpfull need to take a ride in the TL to make a better decision, but can estimate how older 90 accord drove to my mint 98 3.0L CL drives to the 92 passat drives esspecially the suspension figures to be much like the TSX.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i got a 05 tl and had no problems with it. ac is good and cant really tell the difference when i drive my sisters 04 accord. i actually bought my ride about 2 months ago w/ 30k miles for 15.5k, but w/o navi. w/ 80k miles on it you should be able to get the ride a lot cheaper.
the non folding rear seats do annoy me a bit but i have another suv that i just use when i need to grab some bigger stuff.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This explains the mirror bleeding problem:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/replacing-glass-bleeding-sideview-mirrors-728192/
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by r3n3gad3II
i got a 05 tl and had no problems with it. ac is good and cant really tell the difference when i drive my sisters 04 accord. i actually bought my ride about 2 months ago w/ 30k miles for 15.5k, but w/o navi. w/ 80k miles on it you should be able to get the ride a lot cheaper.
the non folding rear seats do annoy me a bit but i have another suv that i just use when i need to grab some bigger stuff.
Thanks but on the autotrader most dealers acura ones have your car 2005 with 48000 km in good shape priced at $22000 to $24000 CND that's before tax and admintration fees. At $15,500 US that's $17050 CND not in my dreams can i find one like that. At a dealership had one sold already with Navigation 2005 auto, 80,000 km or 49,709 miles for "$20 000 " CND don't know if it was tax included.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
I'd actually be tempted to get a 6M 2005 TSX (not the 5A, which is much less fun to drive and also a good bit slower) if the driving is mostly short city trips: better gas mileage, easier to park/smaller turning radius, the TSX 6M feels lighter and more responsive than the 5AT TL (I got the TL b/c my wife wanted an auto trans). The TL's interior may be slightly little nicer, though, and I do prefer the exterior looks of the 2005 TL to the TSX.

The mirror problems are fairly uncommon despite the several threads we have on AZ-- clouding or staining of the outside mirrors is NOT normal; it may happen when the driver keeps the mirror heating switch on constantly.
A/C issues on the TL are even more rare here on AZ; I think they are non-existent on Consumer Reports and other long-term reliability surveys like Truedelta.com.

At 80K miles, I'd expect to need a transmission fluid change (if 5AT), flush of the brake fluid and change of the air filters-- cabin and engine-- if there are no records indicating those services were already performed.

Whichever Acura you choose, try to get the Navi-- it and the accompanying voice controls are worth the slight additional money.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Instructor

You are correct about the jumper cable problem. I keep mine under the front passenger seat. They're not much use if you need a can opener to get to them. On the other hand, I've never had to use them except when I ran the battery down myself.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey 49er, where are you from?

prices in canada differ depending on the market. cars in calgary/edmonton will be higher than if they were in toronto because of supply.

i recently just bought an 05 tl non-navi in anthracite with 105k at $17100 but they guy was asking 17900. the other 05 TLs i saw were black and were in really bad shape and they were asking for $16900. 1 car even had dog hair all over the inside and the trunk of the car. guy wouldn't even budge on the price.

all the dealerships in toronto wont budge on their prices.. regardless of what tactics you did. it was aggrevating. the anthracite 05 was actually the first one i saw... thought the price was high and walked off looking at the other ones. the other TLs in toronto were 04s and beaten to hell and really messed up interiors asking for 15900 with 130k. f-that.

i'm pretty happy with my purchase. watch out for the side mirrors and make sure they replace them. it'll be 60 bucks a mirror. make sure there's no hair and that the car is throughly cleaned. asked for service records and car report (carfax doesn't work in canada). my car had all the service records and a clean car report. check the wheels because canadians apparently cannot park and often curb the wheels. make sure all the buttons work and windows. make sure the tires are the right size for the wheels 235/40/17.

04 tsx has a notorious AC issue. my sister's 04 TSX AC went kaput recently.. people suspect it's going to be 1k+ to fix. 05 tsx seem to have used the TL AC so it shoudl be fine

Last edited by CdTriX; 06-04-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CdTriX
hey 49er, where are you from?

prices in canada differ depending on the market. cars in calgary/edmonton will be higher than if they were in toronto because of supply.

i recently just bought an 05 tl non-navi in anthracite with 105k at $17100 but they guy was asking 17900. the other 05 TLs i saw were black and were in really bad shape and they were asking for $16900. 1 car even had dog hair all over the inside and the trunk of the car. guy wouldn't even budge on the price.

all the dealerships in toronto wont budge on their prices.. regardless of what tactics you did. it was aggrevating. the anthracite 05 was actually the first one i saw... thought the price was high and walked off looking at the other ones. the other TLs in toronto were 04s and beaten to hell and really messed up interiors asking for 15900 with 130k. f-that.

i'm pretty happy with my purchase. watch out for the side mirrors and make sure they replace them. it'll be 60 bucks a mirror. make sure there's no hair and that the car is throughly cleaned. asked for service records and car report (carfax doesn't work in canada). my car had all the service records and a clean car report. check the wheels because canadians apparently cannot park and often curb the wheels. make sure all the buttons work and windows. make sure the tires are the right size for the wheels 235/40/17.

04 tsx has a notorious AC issue. my sister's 04 TSX AC went kaput recently.. people suspect it's going to be 1k+ to fix. 05 tsx seem to have used the TL AC so it shoudl be fine
Thanks for the info. From Tor, looked at tl royal blue 130k for $15900 no records of cars maintenance history seen the car there since December sales guy said he just got in April, forget that, color is not to my liking. Plus even i got it i need to do the timing belt & water pump, 3X transmission oil, cabin air filter, brake line flush, maybe a valve adjustment, radiator flush..

More and more it looks as if i'm getting a TSX 2005 but difficult to get a decent price. Looking at acura dealers is impossible to even get them to talk to you, let alone to cut down the price.
2005 TSX maybe i'll find one during the summer at 160k $13000 might be my best bet at a cheap car.
Ideally would like 05 TSX it to be 80-90K for $15000 impossible? Probably..
Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Instructor

not really,

my sister's 04, we bought a few months ago had 98k for 13k. it's milano red but the paint was a little faded and there were a few stone chips but the car was mechanically sound other than for the AC we didn't know about till it got warmer.

TSX you can find for $14k around 120k kms. the tsx is a drivers car. very light agile and responsive.. ride is a little harsh but that comes with the territory. there's a whole lot of aftermarket stuff you can get with the TSX because it's the JDM accord.

the 3g TL does not have a japanese counter part and does not have the aftermarket availablility nor the jdm factory parts we can mod with.

the TL is an american designed 7th gen accord. honda wants to bring it to japan calling it the Honda Saber.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Instructor

thats a lot of mileage for an 05, you might regret it when its time to resale it (unless you do low km's to balance it out).
damn tl's are so overpriced here in canada, its unbelievable.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by skads_187
thats a lot of mileage for an 05, you might regret it when its time to resale it (unless you do low km's to balance it out).
damn tl's are so overpriced here in canada, its unbelievable.
it's not that bad in toronto, but it's the standard of living. people in vancouver have the highest standard of living in canada. calgary is next then toronto.

toronto has the best used car market in canada due to the huge supply of used car and population. vancouver and calgary don't have the population numbers we have in toronto and the supply is very low.

montreal should have a nice used car market since all the cars come with an extra set of winter tires