Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting towed question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting towed question

I almost got towed the other day. Luckily I got there in time before the tow truck left with my car. However, when I got there the car was already in the "up"position behind the tow truck. I have three questions:

1) Is there any possible damage that could occur from towing? What do I need to look for?

2) The car alarm was going off, doors locked but the shifter (AT) was in neutral. How did the towing guy do that?

3) What if anything is the towing company responsible for (concerning damages,etc)

Thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 PM
givin the business

1) depends...if he used a wheel lift then look for scratches on the front facia, if not, there probibly won't be any. modern towing is pretty gentle

2) if he's a tow truck driver he probibly knows how to unlock a few doors without having to break out a window. you have a shift override on the console...all he needs is a key, pretty much any key to bypass it

3) none...if you were illegally parked (or whatever your case may be) you were in the wrong. every tow truck driver i've ever talked to told me the same thing. if they have to come and get your car...you're SOL

You got lucky he put the car down...usually (at least everywhere i've lived) if they hook up to your car, you have to pay them the hookup fee right then and there for them to put it back down.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

You're not SOL if you can prove they damaged the car.

There are statutes governing bailor/bailee relationships and this is a situation that applies.

The issue is that you have to prove that they did the damage. Often times it's not worth the cost to achieve that result.

In the end, MOST Tow Truck Drivers I know are relatively reasonable with how they treat your car.

FYI, dont ever take a business worker's opinion on legality as the answer.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:54 PM
givin the business

Originally Posted by TCMS
You're not SOL if you can prove they damaged the car.

There are statutes governing bailor/bailee relationships and this is a situation that applies.

The issue is that you have to prove that they did the damage. Often times it's not worth the cost to achieve that result.

In the end, MOST Tow Truck Drivers I know are relatively reasonable with how they treat your car.

FYI, dont ever take a business worker's opinion on legality as the answer.
that i do know...i'm just telling from my experience (i guess i deal with gentle drivers) they don't go out of their way to mess up a car...just for that reason. they are responsible for your car...that's why they're insured.