Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a new TL 07 Manual Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a new TL 07 Manual Type-S

Hi, guys! So excited to say my parents are finally getting me a TL-S! We went to the local dealer last night for a test drive of the automatic TL-S @ Ryan's Open Road Acura on Route 18, New Jersey.

After the test drive, the dealer kept asking us to make a deposit of $500 to reserve the only TL-S (black) MANUAL coming in next week. He gave us a $36k deal ( deducted $2k from the $38k ), but we refused to make the deposit because we wanted to take a look at other cars within the price range. He got a little frustrated and asked if we wanted a catalogue of the TL instead. Long story short, we walked out holding the catalogue...

Questions:

How's the 36k deal on a TL-S manual? He told us the TL coming in next week is the only one available within the state and showed me a list of the inventory...

We had a hard time communicating with the dealer because his english was very poor. Throughout the test drive, he picked up his calls using the bluetooth tech in the car and started talking something unrelated to his job. Although some might think he was just trying to demonstrate some of the features in the car, I thought it was rather rude. He ought to be talking about the car and not on the phone; he wasn't very knowledgeable....

There's another dealer about 45 minutes away from me, i'm thinking of getting the TL there. But is it worth the 45 minutes drive for a minor service in the future?

Sorry for the rant and thank you in adv for any suggestions made below !
Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM
'07 TL-S 6MT Moroccan Red

The $36K is similar to the deal I'm working on. I told the salesman over the phone that I would give him $35.7K (invoice) for the '07 Silver Type S and he called me back in 5 minutes and said he agreed to the $35.7K deal. But I also found out the car has been at a weekend auto show and I go to these myself and I know how many people are pulling and tugging at all the knobs and buttons. Even though it's the car I wanted, I'll wait until the next manual tranny Type-S comes along.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 PM
01 CL_S SMR

I think you should go to the other dealer and get the car, don't let that guy make a big sale and a big comission if you didn't think he gave you good service! Go to the other one, call them now and tell them that the other dealership offered 35.8k and see how that flies.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
are there any service "perks" purchasing from Open Road?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 PM
TL SL ML :)

jianster...I sent you a PM last night...I think if you're not happy with the service and its something that's important to you...then you should consider the guy I recommended @ Precision (if thats the "other dealer" you were referring to
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Opium den in

Nice, I have two TL's, one from there and one from a different dealer. There are a bunch of us AcuraZiners in the area and I go to Rutgers so you should feel right at home haha. Good luck on the purchase.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jianster
Hi, guys! So excited to say my parents are finally getting me a TL-S! We went to the local dealer last night for a test drive of the automatic TL-S @ Ryan's Open Road Acura on Route 18, New Jersey.

After the test drive, the dealer kept asking us to make a deposit of $500 to reserve the only TL-S (black) MANUAL coming in next week. He gave us a $36k deal ( deducted $2k from the $38k ), but we refused to make the deposit because we wanted to take a look at other cars within the price range. He got a little frustrated and asked if we wanted a catalogue of the TL instead. Long story short, we walked out holding the catalogue...

Questions:

How's the 36k deal on a TL-S manual? He told us the TL coming in next week is the only one available within the state and showed me a list of the inventory...

We had a hard time communicating with the dealer because his english was very poor. Throughout the test drive, he picked up his calls using the bluetooth tech in the car and started talking something unrelated to his job. Although some might think he was just trying to demonstrate some of the features in the car, I thought it was rather rude. He ought to be talking about the car and not on the phone; he wasn't very knowledgeable....

There's another dealer about 45 minutes away from me, i'm thinking of getting the TL there. But is it worth the 45 minutes drive for a minor service in the future?

Sorry for the rant and thank you in adv for any suggestions made below !
You can have warranty or service done at any Acura dealer. It doesn't matter where you bought it
Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 AM

Only thing you wouldn't get would be a loaner car for services less then 4 hours or w/e the dealership's rule for cars bought elsewhere is
Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
black on black? if so he ain't lying. jump on it if you want it. i originally wanted black and while test driving someone bought only the one on the showroom floor cash. i waited 2-3 weeks and nada. the only other black/black one was in another state and they wanted an extra $2000 added to my $35,900 purchase price.i ended up with a wdp tl-s.(very happy with it, everything happens for a reason)good luck.......
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

My opinion is that if the sales staff is that rude what's the service dept. going to be like? Unless he's giving it to you for $1000 UNDER their invoice I'd go elsewhere. I drove 50 miles to get mine to avoid the closer dealer (which is 25 miles away).

Enjoy the catalog and take a drive to the other dealer.

Rick
Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Got mine from Open Road, and so have a few of my co-workers.

Got my wife's MDX from Davis Acura in PA.

I will definitely go back to Davis for all service work, and future purchases. I wasn't happy with the operations at Open Road AT ALL.

BUT - Open Road is a high volume dealer, and if they had the EXACT car I wanted, I'd deal with the BS to get the perfect car.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Open Road = Sh*t service
Davis (from speaking/emailing them and from what I hear) = Very good service
Precision Acura = Good Service
Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Intermediate

What do you guys mean by invoice(or 1k below invoice)? Can someone give me a crash course on how to buy a car.... ? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:21 AM

here's the thing...Acura gives the dealer $1000 for every TL they sell. So even if they sell the car at invoice, they're still making $1000...which means they technically could sell the car for $1000 under invoice.

BUT...only place in the country that you can get the car under invoice is in SoCal...so for around us (NJ) the best price you'll get is invoice, $35638 (assuming you get the all season not the summer tires)
Old 04-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Others (but not everyone) have had trouble with the clutches failing early in the 6mt cars. Given that you are 20, it's doubtful that you'll be able to get it fixed under warranty if you ever have a clutch problem. I just went through this, but I'm 42 and I had to really work to get it warranted. If you are stuck on the 6mt, make sure the clutch starts to grab at about 1/2 pedal travel, instead of close to the floor, BEFORE you buy it.
See this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/anyone-familiar-civics-no-not-about-algayzas-window-washer-leds-157557/
btw, I like the 6mt much more that the 5at loaners.