Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting dealership to honor Brembo TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting dealership to honor Brembo TSB

Hey guys, I've heard excessive squealing from my brakes for quite a while but every time I brought it up at the dealership they told me it was just dust. They did actually document this once in March 2006. So now the front brakes on my 6MT TL are finally at a point where they need replacement.

When I was searching for potential replacement pads I saw the threads about the Brembo TSB. I brought this up with the dealership and they told me they'd replace the breaks (since there was documentation) if I could reproduce the problem now.

Here's my dilemma: I don't hear the squealing now. I did for the longest time but I don't now. I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the fact that the brakes are basically gone (5%) and maybe the contact isn't the same with the rotors. The service guy at the dealership didn't buy that saying that if material is defective it'd still do it.

Do you have any ideas/suggestions on why it would stop now and how to get them to honor the warranty? I'm not just trying to get a free set of brakes but I did have the problem that they didn't address in a timely manner and just want to get them to take responsibilty for it.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Why bother with the dealer? Just buy the set of pads you want and do the install the correct way, and you'll be good to go.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:02 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
because the man wants free.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Why bother with the dealer? Just buy the set of pads you want and do the install the correct way, and you'll be good to go.
the dealer said they'll honor the TSB + he wants them to take responsibility for it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:12 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
The ONLY reason I've had my brakes done at the dealer is because they have the gizmo that resurfaces the rotors ON THE CAR. That way, the new surface is perfectly perpendicular to the wheel hub and spindle yielding me the fewest problems. My brakes have never squealed and the only issue I have with these Bremobs is the amount of dust they generate.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Pro

The TSB should be a no questions asked type of thing. I cannot believe that they still want you to reproduce the squealing even after it was a noted issue about a year and a half ago. I would say something like if I knew about this back then I would have had you fix it because the squealing was a persistent problem. AND you should have been aware of this issue and corrected it at that time. They should fix it. Period. I too called several months prior to finding this TSB to complain of squealing and I think that they took note of my call too. Then months later I found the TSB, reminded them that I called to report the issue, and told them I had the TSB and that they needed to fix it. They did it with no questions asked. Go in there with the TSB in hand and tell them to just fix it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DMZ
The ONLY reason I've had my brakes done at the dealer is because they have the gizmo that resurfaces the rotors ON THE CAR. That way, the new surface is perfectly perpendicular to the wheel hub and spindle yielding me the fewest problems. My brakes have never squealed and the only issue I have with these Bremobs is the amount of dust they generate.
It is a TSB because it is not a problem that occurs with all TLs, just some. Lucky you.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by fish008
It is a TSB because it is not a problem that occurs with all TLs, just some. Lucky you.
Lucky me? Where did I say my breakes squeal?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DMZ
Lucky me? Where did I say my breakes squeal?
I was saying that you're lucky because you don't have that problem.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Advanced

I just called my dealer and asked

I told him I had intermittent squeaking since the car was new and asked them if they would perform the TSB. My pads were probably 2/3 gone at the time and had not been squeaking much recently, but I wanted the new pads and thought I could get them. They did the work and gave me a loaner car for the day. You are entitled to this. Maybe you should try another dealer. I can't see any possible reason for them to resist you on this point: Acura's money is as green as yours and they have a chance to make you happy -- any dealer should want to step up to that!

Good luck and don't give up. I'd take it to the Zone if I didn't get satisfaction. They have no reason to deny it.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Enjoying my TL-S

The TSB should be a no questions asked type of thing. I cannot believe that they still want you to reproduce the squealing even after it was a noted issue about a year and a half ago. I would say something like if I knew about this back then I would have had you fix it because the squealing was a persistent problem. AND you should have been aware of this issue and corrected it at that time. They should fix it. Period. I too called several months prior to finding this TSB to complain of squealing and I think that they took note of my call too. Then months later I found the TSB, reminded them that I called to report the issue, and told them I had the TSB and that they needed to fix it. They did it with no questions asked. Go in there with the TSB in hand and tell them to just fix it.
No, it shouldn't be a "no questions asked thing". Only if the part displays the problem are they supposed to replace it. You may be thinking of a "recall", which is for safety equipment (squealing brakes are NOT a safety issue.).

OP, do you brake hard sometimes? If so, that will "clean" the rotors of pad deposit, thus stopping the squealing temporarily. Try being easy on the brakes for a few days, let the pads put some deposit on the rotors. They'll probably start squealing again.

But, FYI, Brembos are notorious for squealing; my STi did it, my buddies Evo does it. I've heard it from G35 and 350Z w/track package with squealy brakes.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Well, when you have 5% left on the pads either you brake hard or end up wedged in the back seat of the car in front of you

I do notice a difference in the contact of pads with the rotors when braking. Before it was smooth but now it feels "rough" for a lack of a better word. I'm sure it has to do with the pads being worn down.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

I was saying that you're lucky because you don't have that problem.
Shorry. I mishundastood.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Enjoying my TL-S

Originally Posted by redterminator
Well, when you have 5% left on the pads either you brake hard or end up wedged in the back seat of the car in front of you

I do notice a difference in the contact of pads with the rotors when braking. Before it was smooth but now it feels "rough" for a lack of a better word. I'm sure it has to do with the pads being worn down.

Just in general, do you brake hard, or gradually slow the car? Gradually slowing the car instead of using Brembos how their meant to be used (HARD), will cause squealing.

P.S.- Three day weekend for me so I've already kicked a few back and puffed some herb. So if I'm not making much sense, I'll re-explain later.

Happy Friday

<---:throws one back:
Old 08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Enjoying my TL-S

vBulletin Message:

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 5 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.
I can haz ghey?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Originally Posted by awilson529
Just in general, do you brake hard, or gradually slow the car? Gradually slowing the car instead of using Brembos how their meant to be used (HARD), will cause squealing.

P.S.- Three day weekend for me so I've already kicked a few back and puffed some herb. So if I'm not making much sense, I'll re-explain later.

Happy Friday

<---:throws one back:
I brake as hard as I need to. I don't like to slam on my brakes. I don't see why breaking "softly" should cause squealing though. I mean if you're going 20 miles an hour (in parking lots let's say) and you're braking, you're not gonna slam on them or you'll give yourself whiplash.

Man, where do you live that you get a three day weekend? The rest of us are still working hard.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
my brembos squeel
Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Pro

The squealing the TSB talks about is from light braking. Before they replaced them they would squeal when I would slowly brake from about 40-20mph. At 20ish it would stop because the pedal pressure was increasing.

They have a new pads...07s mostlikely didnt come with the new pad type. They have changed the pad types that they are using in the brembos 2 or 3 times now...they kept getting the same results. SQUEEKKKKKKKK. I waited an extra week for them to fix my brakes with the TSB because I wanted the new pad type...it seems to have worked.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Enjoying my TL-S

Originally Posted by redterminator
I brake as hard as I need to. I don't like to slam on my brakes. I don't see why breaking "softly" should cause squealing though. I mean if you're going 20 miles an hour (in parking lots let's say) and you're braking, you're not gonna slam on them or you'll give yourself whiplash.

Man, where do you live that you get a three day weekend? The rest of us are still working hard.
I'm not saying slam on your brakes every time. What I am saying is that every once in a while, in my STi, the brakes would squeal. Squealing is caused by pad deposit from brake dust (Brembos are a soft compound, which in turn dusts more).

If your brakes are squeeling do this:

Late at night go to an empty lot get up to about 40 and threshold break- feathering the brake pedal just to the point that ABS doesn't kick on. Do this a few times. If you still hear squealing take the caliper off and hose everything down with brake cleaner.

But at ~5% pad life I would be ordering new pads soon anyways.

But remember. Brembo brakes just squeal. That's all there is to it. So do Baer brakes and SSBrakes.

Oh, and I get a three day weekend because I'm self-employed and felt like taking a day off. I flamework (blow glass with an oxy/propane torch) in my garage studio. It's hot during the summer in the shop, up to about 135*f and I got heatstroke a few months ago and still have a tough time with the heat.