Sponsored by:

Gauge cluster fog/grime

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
New TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gauge cluster fog/grime

Hey guys,

Picked up a used 05 TL today. AT/Navi/38k miles.

That said, I'm extremely happy so far - but I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Two recalls need to be taken care of, but otherwise - no complaints yet.

Except for . . .

My gauge cluster. Two of the three windows have an insane amount of something inside of them. I imagine if it was moisture, it would eventually evaporate over a period of time - especially if the lights were warm enough to evaporate it. So, I'm essentially left at thinking it's some sort of cleaner or some other fluid that has made it into the backside of the paneling.

Now, I've ran my finger across the windows with my nails and managed to make a few spots look better - which then makes me think it's perhaps on the outside.

Anyway - what do you guys think? Anyone else encounter this type of deal, any solutions?

If I don't figure it out before I take it to the dealership to have the recalls addressed, I'll have them take a look at it.

On that note, what's an OEM gauge cluster set up run for?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Id use a little bit of the spray detailer and a microfiber towel. It cleans those clusters for me quite well.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
New TL owner

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
Id use a little bit of the spray detailer and a microfiber towel. It cleans those clusters for me quite well.
Any specific spray? I'll stop by a shop tomorrow and see what works.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal1221
Any specific spray? I'll stop by a shop tomorrow and see what works.
meguires. dont soak it. just a very light mist on the microfiber towel (not the gauge cluster) then wipe it against the cluster.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
New TL owner

Thanks, check PM if you have a moment.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost looks like someone sprayed it with Armor All or some such thing. If that's the case, sixsixfour's advice should do the trick.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Racer

Mine looked exactly the same except it was only the right side. I took it apart and tried to clean it but had no luck. It's like the plastic had been eaten away by some cleaning product the previous owner used. I ended up just ordering a new plastic piece which ran me about $79, if I remember correctly.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 AM
New TL owner

Well, at least I now know I'm not alone.

You remember where you purchased the pieces from? How much of a pain was it to get the pieces out and back in?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
If this mess is on the inside, try using a hair dryer on a low heat setting to dry it out.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I have seen a few of these and if it was sprayed with a dressing it can permiate the plastic and your scooped.

Too many people spray the dressing on the dash not the cloth .. and its everywhere.

If all else fails try rubbing alcohol/water mix. Go-Gone will attack some plastics.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 AM
New TL owner

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
If this mess is on the inside, try using a hair dryer on a low heat setting to dry it out.
I'll give that a shot as well, but since it's not necessarily a moisture I'm not too sure it'd work.

Well guys, i'll head out here in a little while and try to get it taken care of. If none of these solutions work, where could I pick up two of these parts?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
The lense is part of the cluster if memory serves me correctly. Try using some water-woolite solution (5 parts water, 1 part woolite) and try cleaning.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 PM
New TL owner

Well I'm afraid it is definitely on the backside. So, no matter what amount or type of application I use on the front side, it'll remain.

Seems I'll be replacing them *joy*, but it needs to be done. Now, just to find the parts.

Anyone know of any DIY cluster write-ups? I'll also go and pick up a Haynes manual later this afternoon.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
New TL owner

Well, replacing is the wrong word. If I can get the plastic out of the gauge cluster, I'll obviously try to clean the backside and just put them back in. . . but if not, then. . .well. . .replace it is.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i had the same issue, ask the dealer that since u just bought the car if he would be willing to replace the whole cluster for u ... i got my cluster replaced under warranty, and everything is good as new ... good luck
Old 05-10-2009, 02:06 PM
New TL owner

^^ Tried it, except the car isn't under warranty anymore. Sucks. . .

Warranty expired March 31st of this year. (05 TL with 38k on it)

I may be purchasing an after market warranty service through my credit union - might see if I could claim it under that once it becomes active.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Mine did the same thing after a few months. Mine was a brand new '05. That stuff is on the inside and all you need is the plastic part. The dealer was warning me about rattles if they had to pull everything apart to replace the gauge cluster. When they replaced it, found it was just the plastic part that needed to be replaced and it was fairly easy. Don't sweat it...
By the way, that plastic piece is very easy to scratch if you don't use something soft...
Old 05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
New TL owner

What sucks is I'm out of warranty, but that's what I get for purchasing a used car.

Glad to hear it's only the plastic part. I imagine that I will have to remove the whole instrumentation panel to get to it. Ah hell, I should stop speculating and just head out to the shop and pick up the manual.

I do have to take the car into the dealership to have two recalls addressed, wondering if I should just wait and see if they can quote me a price to clean the inside those plastic pieces - but I'm fairly sure I'll get raped for something this small.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

What sucks is I'm out of warranty, but that's what I get for purchasing a used car.

Glad to hear it's only the plastic part. I imagine that I will have to remove the whole instrumentation panel to get to it. Ah hell, I should stop speculating and just head out to the shop and pick up the manual.

I do have to take the car into the dealership to have two recalls addressed, wondering if I should just wait and see if they can quote me a price to clean the inside those plastic pieces - but I'm fairly sure I'll get raped for something this small.
here's the link to the pricing, its 60 dollars for the plastic portion:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

to remove the panel isn't that hard, all you need to do is grip the two colums in the middle and pull (between RPM and speed and between MID and speed) then unclip the two harnesses, lower left and right, and then unclip the plastic.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Pro

Did you notice it when you were at the dealership?? They don't offer like a 3 month 3000mile or anything??
Old 05-10-2009, 05:02 PM
New TL owner

Originally Posted by Fireguy0826
Did you notice it when you were at the dealership?? They don't offer like a 3 month 3000mile or anything??
Sure did, nope, nothing. Even tried to get them to give me a free full tank of gas, most they did was 1/2 a tank.

A mechanic took a look at the cluster and told me that is most likely on the inside and that they won't replace it unless I paid for it. So, fine. I'll deal with it myself.

Originally Posted by csmeance
here's the link to the pricing, its 60 dollars for the plastic portion:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

to remove the panel isn't that hard, all you need to do is grip the two colums in the middle and pull (between RPM and speed and between MID and speed) then unclip the two harnesses, lower left and right, and then unclip the plastic.
Thanks for the link, and the information to pull the panel off. Every autoparts store around here doesn't have any Haynes manuals.

I'll try it out this evening. Since I'm a novice TL owner, is this a risky maneuver? What are the odds I screw up the harnesses to the point that I can't reconnect the plastic molding that goes over the cluster?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Sure did, nope, nothing. Even tried to get them to give me a free full tank of gas, most they did was 1/2 a tank.

A mechanic took a look at the cluster and told me that is most likely on the inside and that they won't replace it unless I paid for it. So, fine. I'll deal with it myself.

Thanks for the link, and the information to pull the panel off. Every autoparts store around here doesn't have any Haynes manuals.

I'll try it out this evening. Since I'm a novice TL owner, is this a risky maneuver? What are the odds I screw up the harnesses to the point that I can't reconnect the plastic molding that goes over the cluster?
The harnesses are little clip ones, even a 4 year old won't be able to break them... What is better than the hayes manual is the helms one, its the one the factory writes for dealership tech's to use, we have a few scans of it in the 3G garage...
Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

here are a few pics from a V1 install:
Originally Posted by rets
Thanks so much for all the helps from vikrampatel

Well, the remote display circuit board was modified for this install. After that, the leds were moved into the bezel around the guages. The sticker that was over the remote display (to show what lights are being lit up) was then placed onto the guages.

The signal strength and radar band display are rather hard to see when driving because of the angle. I will work on finding another place in the bezel to locate them.

For the install - you do the following:
  1. Lower steering wheel as low as possible

2. pull the bezel out from the bottom first.

3. There are (I THINK) four clips, two on the bottom right and left, and two on the top part. It will take quite a bit of force to pull it out.

4. When you get it loose, there is a green wire harness on BOTH sides of the bezel, connected to the buttons - to control the brightness of the guages - and then the buttons to control the MID

5. For the wire connected to control the brightness of the guages the "button" to disconnect the wire is on the RIGHT hand side of the button.

6. For the wire connected to the MID controls the button to disconnect the wire is on the LEFT hand side.

7. Pull those out of course, then you can pull the entire bezel out of the dash.

8. (for my install I had purchased another bezel) so you simply flip the bezel over, and there are four total screws holding in BOTH sets of the buttons, unscrew them and move the buttons over to the new bezel.

9. I put the circuit board for the V1 remote display on the very left side, there is a VERY Small amount of room to do this in.

10. I ran the phone cord from the remote display circ. board behind the dash, where the wires for the brightness control go through. (When you pull it apart you can see what I am talking about)

11. When the phone cord is through that hole, you go under the drivers feet and pull off the plastic piece above the drivers feet and you will have to find the phone cord (wont be very hard) and pull it down and plug it into the direct wire adapter for the V1

12. Push the bezel back in place - make sure all the clips get pushed in and are tightly secured again.

13. Done!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

here are the service manual scans:

Old 05-10-2009, 08:21 PM
New TL owner

Appreciate it. Just finished trying to clean it up.

You were right, easy snap off. Then just a few clips for the plastic cluster.

Sad thing is, it's not coming off. So, with that said, I've decided I'll just not put it back into the car while I wait for the replacement to come in. The third circle (RPM) was on it's way to looking like the other two.

I can't think of any risks to operating the car with the plastic cover not over the actual gauges, so long as I don't go flicking the needles while driving.

Anyone have a newsletter discount code for AcuraOEMparts.com?