Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G35 Coupe auto VS 07 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe auto VS 07 TL-S

I just raced g35 coupe auto on freeway. He was the one who got me into it(tailgaiting me and flashing light...the usual thing)......so what the heck fuck it.......let's do it. We're going 65mph and both gunned after 3 honks. I downshifted to 3rd and g35 coupe couldn't catch up to me. I was like.....common....you can do better than that? First I thought the g35 was manual shift, 'cause there are not many 5AT racers. But I figured if it was 6mt he would have killed me already. Anyway, I gave him a second chance. 3 honks, we gunned again. I easily passed 2 car lengths, and when speedometer reached 120, I stopped. If we both raced from the dead stop, probably the result might have come out the same. Oh well......bye bye g35
Old 08-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I pulled 2 cars on my friends 05 G35 more than 3 times and i have a 5AT 07 TL-S. These races were done at freeway speeds once from 50mph and 2 from 70 mph. I pulled a lil more from 50 mph.
I think you should have done better, unless the G35c was a 6MT.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Nice .
Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM
9th Gear

SWEET!
Originally Posted by Pizza4Everyone
I just raced g35 coupe auto on freeway. He was the one who got me into it(tailgaiting me and flashing light...the usual thing)......so what the heck fuck it.......let's do it. We're going 65mph and both gunned after 3 honks. I downshifted to 3rd and g35 coupe couldn't catch up to me. I was like.....common....you can do better than that? First I thought the g35 was manual shift, 'cause there are not many 5AT racers. But I figured if it was 6mt he would have killed me already. Anyway, I gave him a second chance. 3 honks, we gunned again. I easily passed 2 car lengths, and when speedometer reached 120, I stopped. If we both raced from the dead stop, probably the result might have come out the same. Oh well......bye bye g35
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i can keep up with my friends 03 g35 6mt coupe in my 02 tl-s... he doesnt really pull at all on me
Old 08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah they aren't that fast considering they have a higher HP rating than our cars, oh well. All I know is that I passed a '03 M/T 350z at the top of third gear with my '06 A/T TL, I'm not that impressed with those cars, somehow their numbers don't add up.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
They are much much faster from a dead stop then they are from a roll.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brownie
I have pulled half a Car up to the End of my 3rd Gear on a A/T G35 Coupe with my 03TLS. From a Dead Stop. As soon as i finished my 3rd Gear 110MPH, I Shut the race. So you cant say they are that quick.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Advance

Ugh weird, I raced a G35 6MT, not sure what year and he pulled on me about a length up until 90 or so... I didn't do any fancy shifting but I heard him bark the fuck out of 2nd gear lol so I guess he knew how to drive. Btw I had 1 passenger and he might of had 2, definitely 1 in the passenger seat but MAYBE 1 in the rear... doubt it though. I drive a 01 CL-S stock.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 AM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lostkhan
I have pulled half a Car up to the End of my 3rd Gear on a A/T G35 Coupe with my 03TLS. From a Dead Stop. As soon as i finished my 3rd Gear 110MPH, I Shut the race. So you cant say they are that quick.
Well speaking from personal experience, I was beat pretty bad by a 05 MT 350z from a light. I have an 05 TL AT, so *I* really can say they are fast from a light.

Then again I have pulled on AT Zs from rolls
Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza4Everyone
I find the story believeable since you're going from a 60mph+ roll-on race which is never a strong point for an auto, though I think the outcome would be quite a bit different from a stop because auto G/Zs are very easy to launch and pull 2.0-2.1 60 foots which is a rarity for any street tire TL. Going from a roll at 65mph makes me think the G owner probably had his car in D and on the last honk he went WOT which then he had to wait for the 5 to 3 downshift. If he was a smart G racer, he would have been in manual mode 3rd gear. Even then, there will be a slight delay from the time he hits the gas and the car actually accelerates because the torque converter will slip a bit as first. It's just a downside to racing with an auto.

Another thing to consider is reaction time. If the other racer has just a .5 second slower reaction time, it makes a huge difference in the outcome of a race with similiarly powered cars. I've rocked the living crap out of low 13-second LS1 F-Bodies and other much quicker cars at the strip only because I either got off the line with a much better 60 foot and/or out reacted them. They still often post better ET/MPH, but I'm the one to the finish first. In a street race, it would have appeared that I had the quicker car which I don't, by a long shot.

Truth of the matter is the strip is the ONLY way to know if your car is truely quicker than the other car your racing. At the strip, you'll which car is faster and which driver is better.

STREET RACING PROVES NOTHING .....other than you're a risk taker and don't care much about the general publics safety.

It seems like most everyone's experience on this site with G/Z's is that they're not as quick as the mags say nor the legit 1/4 mile times posted on my350z.com and g35driver.com. That's fine, but I can tell you I wouldn't sweat a race with model year or tranny type TL/TLS. I've seen the times posted on this site and in the mags. I'm not worried.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by brownie
That's right the Infiniti 3.5 has more torque than the Acura 3.5. Taking an Infiniti or Nissan current gen six is a whole lot harder out of the hole than from a roll.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
Nah, both street racing and racing at a drag strip proves nothing, still to many factors to consider..some cars might not lose as much power due to altitude changes, some drivers are simply not as good, every car has different mileage, some cars will get faster as they are getting older, while most do the opposite. I mean a Nismo 350z can do 14.1s in the 1.4mile, it's driven by professional race car driver, it's recorded, it's in good weather condition, it has nice tires for easy launching, it's on a drag track, but so what, we all know it can do better than that. I mean as long as the poster beat the other car and he feels happy about it, and is willing to share it, that's the whole point, IMHO.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
9th Gear

ya i race a 350z at and a 6mt g 35 the g35 killed me from a stop and the z got a car on me and then we had cars coming up when i stared to pull him in

i was stock at the time

nice kill i really dont like those cars at all
Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B

Truth of the matter is the strip is the ONLY way to know if your car is truely quicker than the other car your racing. At the strip, you'll which car is faster and which driver is better.

It seems like most everyone's experience on this site with G/Z's is that they're not as quick as the mags say nor the legit 1/4 mile times posted on my350z.com and g35driver.com. That's fine, but I can tell you I wouldn't sweat a race with model year or tranny type TL/TLS. I've seen the times posted on this site and in the mags. I'm not worried.
Werd, and the results of my TLS at the track verses G35C with Supercharger was . . . TLS, and no one ever saw it coming. So it really doesn't matter what the trade rags say, or what someone claims their times are when you line up at the track, street light or otherwise.

Too bad he couldn't figure out how a .75 sec slower TLS kicked his butt at the track, so I don't sweat too about any car with claimed or real times within a full second of mine. I just get pumped.

Ruf
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iforyou
Nah, both street racing and racing at a drag strip proves nothing, still to many factors to consider..some cars might not lose as much power due to altitude changes, some drivers are simply not as good, every car has different mileage, some cars will get faster as they are getting older, while most do the opposite. I mean a Nismo 350z can do 14.1s in the 1.4mile, it's driven by professional race car driver, it's recorded, it's in good weather condition, it has nice tires for easy launching, it's on a drag track, but so what, we all know it can do better than that. I mean as long as the poster beat the other car and he feels happy about it, and is willing to share it, that's the whole point, IMHO.
On the same day and the same track, it's about as equal as you can get it. Naturally aspirated cars will behave similiar when it comes to density altitude conditions assuming the motors are similiar in nature (primarily compression).

If you've been to the track, you'd know that driver makes all the difference in the world, but there is one thing that will show if you've really got the faster car and that's trap speed. Trap speed is an indicator of available power and it's REALLY hard to F-up trap speed assuming you're shifting at the right rpm. You might run a 14.1 with a 2.0 60 foot or a 14.7 with 2.5 60 foot, but the trap speed will be within 1mph or less assuming the same shift points.

A car that posts a better trap speed is naturally going to be the quicker car from any sort of roll on race and this is why I'm perplexed by all the TL kill stories against cars that consistently show 3mph to 7mph faster traps in the 1/4 mile. A stock auto 4th gen TL will see typically see 93-94mph in the 1/4 mile and the 6MT will see 97-98mph. The TLS seems to be 98-99mph according to the mags and runs posted on this site. So how is it that a 94mph TL is out running a 97mph G35 auto or 100+mph 350Z auto/6MT? I don't doubt the kills, but it sounds to me like driver and reaction time to me.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RUF87
Werd, and the results of my TLS at the track verses G35C with Supercharger was . . . TLS, and no one ever saw it coming. So it really doesn't matter what the trade rags say, or what someone claims their times are when you line up at the track, street light or otherwise.

Too bad he couldn't figure out how a .75 sec slower TLS kicked his butt at the track, so I don't sweat too about any car with claimed or real times within a full second of mine. I just get pumped.

Ruf
Right on. You've got nothing to loose because you're a guy at the track in his sedan therefore no one really expects it to beat anything. I've had much quicker sport coupes in the past, but I find racing sedans at the track to be far more enjoyable because no one really expects them to be quick. It's great to outrun a Stang, F-Body, WRX, whatever at the track when people thought you'd automatically loose, but you turned a low 14 near 100mph all the while with 4 doors, a V6, and baby seat in the back.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Talking

On the same day and the same track, it's about as equal as you can get it. Naturally aspirated cars will behave similiar when it comes to density altitude conditions assuming the motors are similiar in nature (primarily compression).

If you've been to the track, you'd know that driver makes all the difference in the world, but there is one thing that will show if you've really got the faster car and that's trap speed. Trap speed is an indicator of available power and it's REALLY hard to F-up trap speed assuming you're shifting at the right rpm. You might run a 14.1 with a 2.0 60 foot or a 14.7 with 2.5 60 foot, but the trap speed will be within 1mph or less assuming the same shift points.

A car that posts a better trap speed is naturally going to be the quicker car from any sort of roll on race and this is why I'm perplexed by all the TL kill stories against cars that consistently show 3mph to 7mph faster traps in the 1/4 mile. A stock auto 4th gen TL will see typically see 93-94mph in the 1/4 mile and the 6MT will see 97-98mph. The TLS seems to be 98-99mph according to the mags and runs posted on this site. So how is it that a 94mph TL is out running a 97mph G35 auto or 100+mph 350Z auto/6MT? I don't doubt the kills, but it sounds to me like driver and reaction time to me.
when did the 4th gen TL come out??? lol

also 99.9% of teh TL kill stories on here are modded TL/TLSs that trap consistent 98mph+
Old 08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L's TL
when did the 4th gen TL come out??? lol

also 99.9% of teh TL kill stories on here are modded TL/TLSs that trap consistent 98mph+
Not the auto TLs and I have yet to see an NA TL break 100mph except for one. Decently modded Gs and Zs (auto or 6MT) are seeing 102-104mph. Also, I don't know where your finding your 1/4 mile times either because it appears only 4 to 5 guys on this site run their TLs Is there some TL 1/4 mile database I can't find?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude im telling you i raced my friends g35 couple 3 times with similar results. Its not like I floored it before him everytime we raced. You are basically saying that if we both floor it at the same time theres no way a TL can beat a g35 at any speed...
I dunno man, you always seem to have something to say when there is a thread about a TL beating a G35 or a 350Z. We are not making up stories, just sharing our experiences against those VQ engines.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Not the auto TLs and I have yet to see an NA TL break 100mph except for one. Decently modded Gs and Zs (auto or 6MT) are seeing 102-104mph. Also, I don't know where your finding your 1/4 mile times either because it appears only 4 to 5 guys on this site run their TLs Is there some TL 1/4 mile database I can't find?
As you said, more often than not, it's the driver. However, there are other variables such a break-in and maintenance over time. If someone breaks in a car like a little old lady or conservatively, then those engines will not run with someone who's broke it in a little bit harder, or much harder in my case. I've built my own engines and the one thing I learned from the pros is you break it in like you plan to drive it. So a conservatively broken in one will be a tighter engine than one done agressively. That results in an engine that will wrap/rev quicker than the tight one. Just look at my times, I',m trapping a slower 1/4 than slower Type S', but with an ET 2-3 10ths faster.

So what's interesting about that is even tho I have a lower trap speed, I'm still pulling those with higher trap speeds. I wish I could find my run slips verses a SC430, everyone thought he would beat me (before some of my mods), but not the case, I beat him by 3 tenths. However, he was trapping 3 MPH more than me, and when on the highway, from a 50 punch, I pulled him all the way past 110. So you really need to understand more than just ET and trap speed to say who will be, or should be quick or faster.

What was unique about my case? Will I was running lighter weight wheels and tires. That let me get off the line quicker (0-60'), but helped my momentum throught the run, which resulted in a lower trap speed. Basically I was getting from Point A to Point B more quickly, which didn't allow me to produce at higher trap speed.

As I've suggested before, watch NHRA drag racing and see how much the results vary from race to race.

And All IMO - - breaking an engine harder will result in more wear, but it can be minimized with proper maintenance, especially by using premium oils. Note I run NEO and some other additive.

Ruf
Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
A couple of NA TL's breaking 100mph in the 1/4mile:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-8619.html (with nice tires, but also running against strong wind + power robbing 19" wheels) - 14s@100.7mph

http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-10607.html - 13.7s@103mph

To me, to know which car is faster, yes, go to a track, and get professionals to drive them. Each car must be driven differently in order to extract the best out of it. For instance, like you've said, the G35 auto is easy to launch, while for a TL, it's harder. In terms of trap sped, you also have to consider the shift point, if I remember correctly, the TL has to shifts into 4th just right before it passes the 1/4mile line, that's gonna show a bit of a difference in terms of mph.

Besides, on a drag track, same as street racing, people can be using different addictives, different types of fuel (higher octane vs lower octane), weight reduction (less floor mats, spare tire, empty vs full trunk), amount of fuel in the tank, break-in or not, mileage, engine wear, maintanence, all of these add up quickly. Even more interesting, each car, even the same model, can have slightly different hp (within a few % I believe) as it's impossible to reproduce an engine that outputs the EXACT same power every time. Excuses? I think not, these are just facts or factors that we can't ignore.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

i have an auto 03 TLS and i trap consistent 99mph's all day...i dont even get out of 3rd when i do the 1/4 mile, which means im reving 6500+rpms when crossin the line...since the powerband on our cars are diff we have high trap speeds, the slips u may have seen were probably from ppl who dont know their shift points and are hitting the rev limiter...hell even when i hit the rev limter i still trap 98.9 or 99+...and im finding my 1/4 mile times at the track on the big board when me and all the other TLs/CLs go to the track and bust ass...we got an 03 CLS trapping 105mph with no traction on a 100 degree day, of course hes supercharged but thats still one hell of a trap speed when its 100+ plus outside...all of us trapped 99 on that day as well...and i didnt even run my car hard cuz it was too hot...once i throw in my neo im guaranteed high 13s and 100+trap speed...i dont need a datbase to see my own or my colleagues times
Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

there is no doubt in my mind that any Z and/or G(coupe) would bust my ass in the 1/4 mile but when traction isnt a factor at 40-60 mph rolls i will fry...my car is sick up top and i have yet to meet a Z or G that could rumble wit me on top end
Old 08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L's TL
i have an auto 03 TLS and i trap consistent 99mph's all day...i dont even get out of 3rd when i do the 1/4 mile, which means im reving 6500+rpms when crossin the line...since the powerband on our cars are diff we have high trap speeds, the slips u may have seen were probably from ppl who dont know their shift points and are hitting the rev limiter...hell even when i hit the rev limter i still trap 98.9 or 99+...and im finding my 1/4 mile times at the track on the big board when me and all the other TLs/CLs go to the track and bust ass...we got an 03 CLS trapping 105mph with no traction on a 100 degree day, of course hes supercharged but thats still one hell of a trap speed when its 100+ plus outside...all of us trapped 99 on that day as well...and i didnt even run my car hard cuz it was too hot...once i throw in my neo im guaranteed high 13s and 100+trap speed...i dont need a datbase to see my own or my colleagues times
Were your runs at Capitol?

What are your mods?

I agree, some people might not know their shift points or how to race their auto. With a G35, manually shifting the 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shifts are mandatory. If I let the tranny do it's own thing, it will shift into 3rd at 6100rpms and 4th at 6000rpms. If I hold 2nd and 3rd right till redline (6600rpms), it's the difference between running a 14.3@99mph vs running a 14.7@96mph. I hold 3rd through the run and tap the limiter just after the finish (~101mph).
Old 08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Yea we run at Capitol in Crofton...if we're lucky we run MIR...they have good air out at MIR in LaPlata...im modded up..i have I/H/E/S/P and unichip interfaced with the apexi Neo..i bought the Unichip tuned for intake headers exhaust but it needs to b retuned, and the neo isnt tuned yet either..once i get those two tuned i should b good to go..im about to get a new car so i can just work on the engine for this one tho