Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G35 Coupe or Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe or Acura TL

Im looking for a new car. Lets say that price doesnt matter in this decision because I will be buying the car crashed possibly salvaged title. I know this guy who bids on the crashed cars and sells them for a living, so getting them registered and inspected will be taken care of.

The two cars that I am looking into would be a 04+ G35 Coupe or a 05+ Acura TL.

The TL is nice inside and out. It has alot of features that the G35 doesn't. I think the G35 looks more sportier on the exterior but the TL looks more luxurous.

Im not too much in-it for speed, but it has to be able to keep up with competition. I don't have crazy money to mod the car so it must be able to look good with a nice drop. Most likely I will have no warranty on the car, so I would have to be able to fix it.

Let me know you input on the decision of the 2 cars, share any experiences, tell me about stories you heard, things you witnessed, your opinions & thoughts.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by t3am 83rd
Im looking for a new car. Lets say that price doesnt matter in this decision because I will be buying the car crashed possibly salvaged title. I know this guy who bids on the crashed cars and sells them for a living, so getting them registered and inspected will be taken care of.

The TL is nice inside and out. It has alot of features that the G35 doesn't. I think the G35 looks more sportier on the exterior but the TL looks more luxurous.

Im not too much in-it for speed, but it has to be able to keep up with competition. I don't have crazy money to mod the car so it must be able to look good with a nice drop. Most likely I will have no warranty on the car, so I would have to be able to fix it.

Let me know you input on the decision of the 2 cars, share any experiences, tell me about stories you heard, things you witnessed, your opinions & thoughts.
I think a lot of us on here had a similar decision to make when originally purchasing our TLs because they are in a similar price range to that of the G35. I'd say at this point, especially since you're not into it for any reason other than how it looks and a little bit with how it performs, you have to just weigh which things you like more about each car and make your decision that way.

Agreed, the TL looks more luxurious and the G35 coupe looks sportier. For all intents and purposes they're not really all that comparable because you're talking about a 2-door sports car vs. a 4-door sedan. I mean, they're just too different. If you're looking for a 2-door sports car that's got some decent interior features for a sports car, get the G35; if you want an entry-level luxury sedan that's got some good power, get the TL.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
G35 drives better than the TL
The TL is more luxurious.

Sounds like you want what the TL has more though.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Also the G35 is rear wheel drive and the TL is front wheel. TL should do much better in snow in NY.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
B A N N E D

i wouldnt buy a crashed car point blank.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
if you care for more for quality and luxury, go with the TL. The TL has a very nice interior that is stlyed nicely compared to prior 07 G35's. As you said, the TL looks much more luxurious compared to the G35 and I think that is what you want, something all around. The TL does very good for being a luxury car in the performance section. My advice for you is to test drive a used 05 TL and a used 05-06 G35 and see what you like better.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Advanced

I'd choose the TL since I'm bias towards Honda cars due to the fact that they are very reliable with my experience with them for the past 20 years.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Slammed_JDM
if the car is totaled, you would be spending alot of money to fix it and hope to get it to factory conditon. Then you would be constantly worring about repairs. I would suggest looking for some used ones near you so your mind can stay at ease.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:05 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Slammed_JDM
Old 03-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G will be more fun to drive but the TL is more practical due to the winter. If youre not gonna go mod crazy then just get the TL , if you were gonna go mod crazy get the G.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds like you want a blend of lux and performance. Get the TL. As sexy as the G35 coups look, they are starting to look dated. The3rd gen has a classic design.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Racer

I would get the TL

1) New G37 coupe coming (your G will look dated)
2) Similar looking Altima coupe coming (even worse, someone will ask if that's the new Altima coupe )
3) RWD sucks in snow (unless you have a 2nd FWD ride)
4) Interior on the G not as good as the TL
Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
get the TL. it's a better product.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Pro

Ahh I had the same dilemma a while back, but seriously how can you even stand the interior of the G35 after sitting inside a TL . That being said I love the exhaust on the G35, that thing sounds amazing
Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22Ac...te=all&geo=all

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/strippers-rants-133115/
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
Sounds like you want a blend of lux and performance. Get the TL. As sexy as the G35 coups look, they are starting to look dated. The3rd gen has a classic design.
Started? Nah, they have been looking like that IMO - dated. I agree, the design of the TL will be longer lasting. Look at those earlier Gs.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Both are nice cars. I owned a G35 sedan 6MT for a year. Just switched over to the TL auto five months ago. Love this TL, more so every day.

The G is a great car, but don't get the 6MT. Extremely hard to shift smoothly. This was the main reason why I got rid of the G. And I'm a pretty good stick driver, learned to drive on a stick as a teen. The TL auto is extremely smooth, no regrets at all.

In terms of RWD vs. FWD, there were little difference after getting used to each one. When you floor them at the stop lights, the G spins the back while the TL spins the front. They both take off real fast.

If you put bigger rear sway bars in the TL, handling is about the same as the G35. I like the TL 17 inch better than the G 18 inch. Steering in the G is tighter, the TL seems to trasmit more road vibrations to the steering wheel. The TL was a little smoother and has less cabin noise.

The TL has much better stereo. The Infiniti Bose is a POS, the regular stereo actually sounds better. I thought the TL looks sportier too. Interior wise the TL wins hands down. The G is full of cheap plastic and looks very dated. The TL has a much better interior. TL has more comfort features. I love the projector xenon and the rear LED on the TL better than the G.

I had no problem with the '05 G after a year and 18k miles. Likewise with the '06 TL after 5 months. I wish I can say the same when I owned the '01 BMW 330Ci. Steptronic transmission blew at 64k miles. Oy!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

The G35's aftermarket is a hundred times bigger than the TLs. Maybe a thousand times bigger! Seriously, there are soooooo many options due the platform sharing with the 350z. You can make the G35 handle waaay better due to the numerous aftermarket and the FI choices are incredible.

There are many many 350z/G35's pushing 350-400hp reliably with a good tune (FI of course). Just something to consider.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Man this is a comparison between 2 very very different cars. I guess I would base this decision on my marital status if anything. G35 coupe if you're single and everything else would lean towards the TL. To me the TL wins in all categories except aftermarket and performance. The intangibles such as looks is too subjective to evaluate for you.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Instructor

These threads are pretty pointless seeing how your the one that's going to be driving it, not any of these people who posted their comments. You really need to just figure out what you want out of a car and see which one fits.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
TL has more tech features and in my opion looks better than the 02 g35 coupe with 20" rims that we had. It's more luxurious as well.

The G35 has RAW power though. The feeling of driving the TL doesnt even compare to that of the G35. The G35 also has a nice exhaust... The power is enough on the TL, but if you want the car with the best performance I say the G35. I still love my TL though!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Let me get in here before one of the other mods decides to close it.

It seems like every few months we get a G35 vs TL thread. Here is one with 200 posts for you to read: 07 G35 vs 07 TL

Much more with a keyword search using G35*.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura TL........-S haha
Old 03-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by limited
These threads are pretty pointless seeing how your the one that's going to be driving it, not any of these people who posted their comments. You really need to just figure out what you want out of a car and see which one fits.
It's not pointless, I know that I will ultimately be the one who purchases and drives the vehicle. This thread is to see other peoples perspective on the decision. This is doing research to make an educated decision. The best review of a car is from people who actually owns them, not a magazine who test drives it.
I want to find out the best / worst things about each car, I want to know if people are happy about their choice in purchasing the TL.

I started this same thread on a g35 forum as well.
I will be making a decision soon, maybe within the next week.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ADabsolutNDN
Ahh I had the same dilemma a while back, but seriously how can you even stand the interior of the G35 after sitting inside a TL . That being said I love the exhaust on the G35, that thing sounds amazing

its amazing how nice it sounds.......just starting the car sounds amazing
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dampfnudel
1) New G37 coupe coming (your G will look dated)
2) Similar looking Altima coupe coming (even worse, someone will ask if that's the new Altima coupe )
3) RWD sucks in snow (unless you have a 2nd FWD ride)
1.) New Coupe coming in 08', ok... But with a new TL coming in 09', one could argue the TL will look "dated" too.

2.) Altima doesn't really look like the G Coupe at all. People said the same thing with the Scion tC and Pontiac G6 Coupe. These cars are actually quite different looking.

3.) Our TL actually sucks in the snow worse than our G35 does. (See other thread). But that's because the stock tires on the TL are garbage.

4.) Ultimately, it comes down to whether you want a sedan or a coupe. Everything else is just gravy.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Im not too much in-it for speed, but it has to be able to keep up with competition. I don't have crazy money to mod the car so it must be able to look goohttps://acurazine.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1683545#
Yesd with a nice drop. Most likely I will have no warranty on the car, so I would have to be able to fix it.

you do know this is an acura forum correct? well if you do then you should know we werent the gotti lookin fags who got our hair done and then bought g35's
we got acura tl's and some tl type s like me
Old 03-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Advanced

It's not pointless, I know that I will ultimately be the one who purchases and drives the vehicle. This thread is to see other peoples perspective on the decision. This is doing research to make an educated decision. The best review of a car is from people who actually owns them, not a magazine who test drives it.
I want to find out the best / worst things about each car, I want to know if people are happy about their choice in purchasing the TL.

I started this same thread on a g35 forum as well.
I will be making a decision soon, maybe within the next week.
also to help you, the major car mags also have long-term tests and reviews of vehicles. they have detailed notes of pros and cons of the vehicle which may help in your search.

*Am I the only one on this forum that isn't crazy about the Nissan VQ engine's exhaust? I had a 350Z and I pretty much hated the exhaust because the sound was by design. It sounds alright cruising at low rpms but at WOT it doesn't sound that much different to me. These cars with aftermarket exhaust really sound great. To me at WOT the exhaust note should replicate the engine's desire to breathe out the fumes. Just my opinion though.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
We're not doing this anymore.

Please feel free to continue this discussion in Car Talk