Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front nose mask

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Front nose mask

Winter is here soon and I do some highway driving which means, rock chips. I wanna get a full nose mask from hondaacuraworld.com and I was wondering what your opinion is on this? Is it easy to take off, can I wash the car with it on or do I have to take it off. I know there will be some dust and maybe rocks underneath but I was thinking about removing it every time before washing and drying it all off before putting it back on. Any input please? My 99tl last winter got destroyed by rocks so I dont want this to happen to my new baby.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
04 "NBP TL" 6mt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a full nose mask and it is what it is. Protects your front end, hood, side fenders. Very simple and straightforward install. I just left it on when I washed it. Afterwards, I would wipe the bra down w/ a leather condition/cleaner just to give it some added protection.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Get the "Clear Bra". You won't be sorry.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I wanted to get the leather bra as well, but i've been told 2 major problems occur with the leather bra...

1. it tends to shift and move and can end up scratching the paint on the covered areas.

2. because the areas protected are completely covered, overtime you will end up with paint color mis-match with the areas that were covered and the areas that aren't.

you are better off going with the clear-bra. avoids all those issues while being completely invisible to the eye. it costs alot more, but as they say, you get what you pay for....
Old 10-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ +1
Old 10-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I was thinking about a clear bra but I think change the color of the car. I can clearly see the lines and the color differences. Does anyone have a pic of SSM with a clear bra? On some other cars I can see it and it looks so ugly with a line going across the hood and fenders.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 PM
usc
Racer

I was told by the installer that Silver is the best color for clear bra. And white/WDP as the worst.

So my car's bra-less!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
im with everyone else ... get a clear bra, a leather bra is too much of hassle
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

don't be stupid: get a clearbra. 3M.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You can avoid the edges of the clear bra running across your hood and body panels by spending a bit more and getting the full bra. The full treatment covers the whole hood and fender panels as well as the bumper. My installer tucked the edges of the material under the body panel and you just can't tell where the edge of the clear bra is. I got the 3M material and on my CBP you can't tell any color difference. I have polarized sunglasses and you can see some effects under certain lighting conditions and on some of the curved areas but without the polarizer you just can't tell a thing.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

I would definitely get the clearbra. I had it put on my tsx and now again on my 08 TL-S. = peace of mind.....
Old 10-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
I wanted to get the leather bra as well, but i've been told 2 major problems occur with the leather bra...

1. it tends to shift and move and can end up scratching the paint on the covered areas.

2. because the areas protected are completely covered, overtime you will end up with paint color mis-match with the areas that were covered and the areas that aren't.

you are better off going with the clear-bra. avoids all those issues while being completely invisible to the eye. it costs alot more, but as they say, you get what you pay for....

1 & 2 are both wives tails

1) The acura bra for the G3 TL is very good and doesn't shift around.
2) This "can" result if the bra is left on for months at a time and mostly in hot sunny weather not winter.

Here is some reading ... and I speak from experience not hearsay.

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/winter-tips-snow-country-690446/
Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Just my , but for the investment, I HIGHLY recommend that you install the 3M Clearbra product. There is NO comparison in performance of the two systems. Have this installed on both our TSX and TL-S Type, and the wife's Honda Odyssey. You treat it just like your paint system in terms of cleaning and protective care. Agree with the gumilla, the peace of mind this system provides is second to none. Questioned the company that installed this on cars from Ferraris to Lamborghininis, and no issues with color fade etc. We love the product, highly endorse it.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
aTL

if you have any type of lip or kit the pleather bra doesn't fit properly... and I too speak from experience....
depending on color clear bra maybe an option, but make sure you get a warranty from a GOOD shop, they can yellow or peel if done improperly.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RBeachTL
You can avoid the edges of the clear bra running across your hood and body panels by spending a bit more and getting the full bra. The full treatment covers the whole hood and fender panels as well as the bumper. My installer tucked the edges of the material under the body panel and you just can't tell where the edge of the clear bra is. I got the 3M material and on my CBP you can't tell any color difference. I have polarized sunglasses and you can see some effects under certain lighting conditions and on some of the curved areas but without the polarizer you just can't tell a thing.
why not just cover the whole car in plastic....
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
My Other Ride is a Huey

+1 on the clear bra. It was the first thing I got on my new TL-S.

You can barely tell it is there with proper waxing and IMO not an eye sore like the leather bra.

The only problem I ran into was during waxing. I didnt listen to the instructions and cover the edge of the clear bra with painters tape before waxing. So now i have a small wax buildup on the edge in certain spots.

Bottom line: clear bra in my opinion but take the proper steps when waxing to preserve the best look!

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Well clear bra is expensive but I am willing to pay for it if it will protect the front and wont be noticeable. But there are already some paint chips and I dont know if it is a good idea to cover those up. And to respray the front to fix the chips is just too much money and cant be done at the moment. I am getting some quotes today from some shops who specialize in this so we'll see what the game plan is after. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
I had a tC prior to my TL and started with a leather bra and moved to a clear bra. I never had issues with scratching or rubbing with the leather bra. However I made a point to pull the bra off every time I washed the car. Those of you that have ever dealt with Toyota paint knows how delicate their paint is. Just looking at that car would scratch it. I had the leather bra on for almost a year and the only noticeable issue was that after winter you could see some odd streaking up the fender where all of the dirty water rested. A good wash and wax always cleared that up.

Now I did finally get a chance to put a 3M clear bra on the car and it was so much nicer. No longer had to worry about pulling the bra off at the car wash and then waiting for it to dry. Just wash, dry, wax, and be done. Like others have said the only part of the clear bra you could see was where I let wax buildup collect on the edge of the bra. I q-tip run down the edge usually cleared that right up.

As for your existing paint chips...well they will show through for sure. However it won't look any worse than they do now. A chip is a chip and it will always be there unless you get it repainted. I was lucky enough to have a pristine bumper and hood before getting my clear bra installed.

If you have the money, then I say get the clear bra. This time around with my TL I will not be going for a clear bra. I bought an 05 and it has plenty of chips already so no point in paying the money to protect what is already beat up.