Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>>Front License plates<<

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Front License plates<<

Does anyone not have their plates in the front. I've had my plates for about 3 months now but dont want to put them on.
In CA it is law to have your front plates on at all times or you get a ticket unless it is a new vehicle purchase. How is a cop gonna know if the car is 5 months old or 5 days old. Just my childish way of thinking I guess. Does any one else do this? The car looks so sweet without the front plates on.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Lastdra900n

i really really want to. but it be great to see how it looks (ur pic doesnt work). im going to the dealership this friday for the memory seat fix and im also going to ask for the cover up holes for the front bumper
Old 03-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Racer

i really haven't mastered the posting of pics yet. Can't wait for the gallery to be back on line.
The dealer should just give you a set.
I will try one more time
Old 03-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Racer

Old 03-17-2004, 12:46 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
i dont have it and live in ca... shit i dont even have the rear one yet, plates are sitting in my room... i'm waiting for my personlized one.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Calif do vehicle inspections? If so, what will you do then - assuming a missing front plate will fail the inspection?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Instructor

No inspections in California. I've never had a front plate on my cars. My wife got pulled over once in Costa Mesa for not having the Plate in a '98 Passat. If you get pulled over it's a fix it ticket; zip tie the plate, go have them check it and then snip the zip ties.
This car looks ugly with a front plate. Ruins the entire front look.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

it doesn't look that bad, i mean it would look better without but its against the law in some states. my opinion is save yourself the trouble and leave it on if you need to have it in your state. you'll get fined for it eventually get fined for it. i don't know about you but time to me is money and i don't want to waste time and go to the dmv even for a fix it ticket.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

in DC its a law to have the front plates on. Now I am pretty sure that a cop wouldn't pull you over for not having one on, but if they see you parked or if they are in the process of citing you for a different moving violation then i'm sure they'll tack that on as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Racer

Here in CA they are really cracking down. If you have no front plates they can't send you a ticket for running a red light. Their losing money. I know a number of people who have gotten pulled over for just not having front plates.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

In Kentucky, front plates are not required. Haven't been for like 20 years. Plus we get the best weed
Old 03-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Lurker

SoCal cops are all d!cks, so I'm leaving mine on. It looks stupid, but like tinted windows, HBPD cops have nothing better to do than write fix it tickets and look at hot chicks.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro

i dont have my plates on either...well i havn't gotten them from the DMV yet....
Old 03-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

My girlfriend's '01 Miata has been w/o front plates since she got the car. We both drive it a lot (less now since I just got my TL) and have never gotten a ticket. I've been pulled over at least 3-4 times for speeding (always let go) and the topic was never brought up.

My friend drives a '01 or '02 RSX and never got a ticket until he parked in the long term lot at SFO and came back to find a nice surprise under the wiper. What a crock!

When I picked my car up, I asked the dealer to make sure that the plugs were there (thanks, Forum!) and he said that he asked the detailer and there were no such plugs, that they just screw the front plate bracket into the bumper. THEY BETTER NOT HAVE! I have yet to take it off and look....
Old 03-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

When I got a parking ticket in LA, I got a 'no front plate' ticket to compliment it... so there ya go
Old 03-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Racer

That's sucks
Old 03-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Instructor

I think:
leaving the little white temporary registration on the front windshield might throw off an oncoming patrol vehicle.

You can also lean it up against the front windshield (I have not done).

But, a person could leave the plate and mounting bracket/hardware in the trunk, and if you get pulled over: you were on the way back from a photo-shoot... right???

NS
Old 03-17-2004, 01:19 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by NathanSilver

You can also lean it up against the front windshield (I have not done).

NS
FYI...Leaning on the front windshield still equals a ticket. It is not "properly displayed" that way.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Me no likey front plate....

In California it's only a $10 fix-it-ticket, no biggie and I've "never" put front plates on my cars, not even the wife's minivan .

I'm in the same position as someone earlier. I have the new plates but waiting for personalized plates to arrive.

My neighbor kept his paper plates on for two years!, it drove me nuts!, so last week I told him if it dosn't put on his regular plates, I'd give a ticket. Needless to say, he put on his plates the next day. Opps! did I give something away

Mike Smeezy,
Old 03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Drifting

I haven't had a front plate for 6-7 years and I'm in Texas where the cops have nothing better to do but harass you for no reason. I was pulled over December 5th on the way to turn in my final paper for my literary analysis class and the cop just told me I need a front plate, I said ok thanks. It's been 3 months and haven't been pulled over since. I'm not going to worry about it. they can go f' themselves.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Racer

Isn't that hard to enforce with all you windows tinted?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:39 PM
6th Gear

Get this, I had parked my '98 Accord at LAX and I didn't have a front plate on. Damn airport cops wrote me up for a $75 ticket! Yep, times are tough in LA...
Old 03-17-2004, 03:34 PM
What's a TL?

Re: Me no likey front plate....

Originally posted by Vffr1
In California it's only a $10 fix-it-ticket, no biggie and I've "never" put front plates on my cars, not even the wife's minivan .

I'm in the same position as someone earlier. I have the new plates but waiting for personalized plates to arrive.

My neighbor kept his paper plates on for two years!, it drove me nuts!, so last week I told him if it dosn't put on his regular plates, I'd give a ticket. Needless to say, he put on his plates the next day. Opps! did I give something away

Mike Smeezy,
CA used to be only a $10 ticket....there are now fines being levied begining on the first offense. Friedn of mine paid over $100 first time (not sure if it was LAPD or CHP ticket)
Old 03-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

My front plate goes bye bye tomorrow, I ordered the bumper plugs from Acura and they come in tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:20 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Re: Me no likey front plate....

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
CA used to be only a $10 ticket....there are now fines being levied begining on the first offense. Friedn of mine paid over $100 first time (not sure if it was LAPD or CHP ticket)
Yeah, in a different post of mine I said that a friend had to pay a $150 ticket in San Francisco for not having a plate for his Prelude.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

The reason it's a law in CA is because of the camera's that take you picture if you run a red light. Without the front plate, they can't get your identity.

sw
Old 03-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Lastdra900n
i really really want to. but it be great to see how it looks (ur pic doesnt work). im going to the dealership this friday for the memory seat fix and im also going to ask for the cover up holes for the front bumper
they should be in your glove..thats where i ACCIDENTALY found mine....i was driving my car with the holes for a few days until i found the plugs...it looks cleaner w/ the plugs
Old 03-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Lastdra900n

i heard from a lot of my friends that its perfectly legal to put the plate at the frontwindshield area and they all do it, and never been pulled over. so that is illegal then?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Lastdra900n
i heard from a lot of my friends that its perfectly legal to put the plate at the frontwindshield area and they all do it, and never been pulled over. so that is illegal then?
Nope, that wont' fly!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My understanding is that putting the plate in the dashboard by the front windshield is only acceptable if your car for some reason (say due to damage or a previous accident) does not have a way to mount the plate.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Racer

We also don't mount the front plates, although it is required. It is so feaking UGLY taked onto the front bumper like some afterthought.

I don't understand why the car makers don't make a place for it in the design, then it wouldn't be so bad. Cars UED TO have a place for the plates in the bumper - why not now?

In general, cops won't stop you just for the plate, unless you are doing something else suspicious. However, I have heard of this happening in some of the cities like Santa Monica that use the Red-Light cameras.

HOWEVER - if you get a parking ticket, they will surely write you up for the plate at the same time. this is how my wife got a ticket for this. Be sure to keep the meter fed, and watch the signs!

The ticket is about $20 the first time, and I understand that it goes up if you get repeat tickets for it.

I drive sanely, and haven't been stopped for years and years. I have also left the white temp reg in the window - maybe that will work too? If I get to the $100 fine point, I may make a bracket that holds the plate UNDER the bumper, where it is not so obnoxious.

Good Luck Guys!
Old 03-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Racer

o
Old 03-20-2004, 10:10 PM
10th Gear

No plate on either of my Acuras

I have a new TL and an NSX. I don't have the fromt plates on either car. I have heard of people who get stopped and then they cops just let them go.

I keep the front plates in the cars on their mount in case I get stopped, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe up here in Santa Barbara, the police are a little more laid back than in the 'hood.

- Russ
Old 03-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Wow, this makes me feel good about living in PA. no need for the front plate. All it would do is block cinders on the Turnpike!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had mine off for 5 or 6 months w/ my TL-S ..

it's just a matter of luck, pretty much. If you get busted, you'll wish you never took it off.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Team SSM

Re: Re: Me no likey front plate....

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness

Well guys, it all depends on which box gets checked; correctable on not.. In Alameda County it's a $10 charge for the correctable and $76 for non-correctable...

Here's the info::
40610. (a) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), if, after an arrest, accident investigation, or other law enforcement action, it appears that a violation has occurred involving a registration, license, or mechanical requirement of this code, and none of the disqualifying conditions set forth in subdivision (b) exist and the investigating officer decides to take enforcement action, the officer shall prepare, in triplicate, and the violator shall sign, a written notice containing the violator's promise to correct the alleged violation and to deliver proof of correction of the violation to the issuing agency.

(2) If any person is arrested for a violation of Section 4454, and none of the disqualifying conditions set forth in subdivision (b) exist, the arresting officer shall prepare, in triplicate, and the violator shall sign, a written notice containing the violator's promise to correct the alleged violation and to deliver proof of correction of the violation to the issuing agency. In lieu of issuing a notice to correct violation pursuant to this section, the officer may issue a notice to appear, as specified in Section 40522.

(b) Pursuant to subdivision (a), a notice to correct violation shall be issued as provided in this section or a notice to appear shall be issued as provided in Section 40522, unless the officer finds any of the following:

(1) Evidence of fraud or persistent neglect.

(2) The violation presents an immediate safety hazard.

(3) The violator does not agree to, or cannot, promptly correct the violation.

(c) If any of the conditions set forth in subdivision (b) exist, the procedures specified in this section or Section 40522 are inapplicable, and the officer may take other appropriate enforcement action.

(d) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (a), the notice to correct violation shall be on a form approved by the Judicial Council and, in addition to the owner's or operator's address and identifying information, shall contain an estimate of the reasonable time required for correction and proof of correction of the particular defect, not to exceed 30 days.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:48 PM
4th Gear

Had my front plate on for about a week and then removed it. Had to order two "plugs" from Acura to cover the holes.

Drove a Audi TT in the Bay Area for over a year with no front plate so I'll see how long I can go without one on the TL
Old 04-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Pro

I was recently stopped in Virginia for not having a state inspection sticker on my windshield. The cop told me that he noticed that I didn't have a front plate, but said that he never wrote anyone a ticket for that. Seems to confirm my experience so far. I've been driving without a front plate for 3 years in VA now! The key, in my opinion is to not have a front plate bracket.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Banned

keep it clean
Old 04-05-2004, 04:12 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My roommate just got a ticket in SF for not having a front plate. $100 "fix-it" ticket.