Sponsored by:

Front License Plate (in window)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Ricer Killer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front License Plate (in window)

Hello fellow 3G peeps.

Just wondering if anyone in CA (preferably L.A.) has gotten a front license plate ticket when they had it on their dashboard?

I've gotten 3 fix it tickets (so i just threw it on the bumper), and only when I've been parked. I've actually never been pulled over for it.

Like I know this is an old issue, and I remember asking about front license plates back in 2007/2008 when my car was new, but I kind of miss the clean look of the front. I even have CF inserts for the ACURA.

from the DMV:
"5201. ...The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground,..." but it doesnt say it has to be mounted on the front bumper. and I am certain my windshield isnt 5 ft above the ground lol.

Anyways, thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
"License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground."

Mounting your license in the front windshield does not comply as the letters are not clearly visible (when mounting on the windshield, you must be look down at the car from above for it to be clearly visible) and the plate is not standing upright (since it is at a steep angle). You can argue with the cop whether it is "clearly visible" all day long, but I can guarantee you'll lose.

I had my Texas plates on my windshield (bottom corner on passenger side), got crap for it from the cops. Then I did the same thing in California (with my Texas plates) and got crap from the cops.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Ricer Killer

Originally Posted by turbo_oxide
"License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground."

Mounting your license in the front windshield does not comply as the letters are not clearly visible (when mounting on the windshield, you must be look down at the car from above for it to be clearly visible) and the plate is not standing upright (since it is at a steep angle). You can argue with the cop whether it is "clearly visible" all day long, but I can guarantee you'll lose.

I had my Texas plates on my windshield (bottom corner on passenger side), got crap for it from the cops. Then I did the same thing in California (with my Texas plates) and got crap from the cops.
nooooooooooo. i hate the 2 plate rule. i always see so many cars with the front license plate in the windshield. (my roommates brand new m3, evo parked a few feet away, etc etc). maybe ill go with the rho-plate.

but just curious still...has anyone gotten a ticket with it on the dash?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
isn't that what turbooxide just explained?

you could always run it on your dash and see what happens...the po-po's won't like it too much.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Ricer Killer

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
isn't that what turbooxide just explained?

you could always run it on your dash and see what happens...the po-po's won't like it too much.
yea, i just re-read my response and it wasnt that clear.

i meant: has anyone gotten a ticket when their car was parked . I am not really afraid of getting pulled over (my friend always shows the mount and have it missing a screw or one side damaged). all 3 of my fix it tickets for the front plate have been when I wasnt there. it would be when i park roadside etc.

i'm not trying to be annoying with the details and all. i guess i am just really curious. in the end, its just a fix it ticket.......
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Do a search and make a front plate mount like I did.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
If you have it in your front window in CA, it's technically "Illegal"

and they will probably stop it for you esp if you have more then 1 Violation.

IE:

Front Window Tint
To low
Etc etc..
Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
Get the RHO Plate and call it a day. I love mine
Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
This: http://www.gigharborautoworks.com/Si...se_plate!.html
Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
either follow the rule and put it on correctly

or just don't put it on at all..

simple as that

/thread
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
run a plate or run zero plate

I know people and personally got popped for it, stupid idea anyways.

not to mention during an accident would probably be a shitty idea.

i've heard of tickets given while car is parked with no one around, not just regular parking tickets either not sure of how these work
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
LA driver here. I don't have a front plate on my car and so far, I haven't been hassled by the cops about it. I think for the most part, if your car doesn't look "illegal", the police won't bother you. I would say that placing your front plate on your dashboard could possibly bring more attention from the cops.

Quick question, where in LA do you park your car usually? It might also depend with the area, I guess.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
That would drive me nuts to have a license plate on my dash board. I would much rather put one where its supposed to go on the front bumper than have it on my dash.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
License plate in the window will also equal, scratches on your window as well.

Hide away plate.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Carpe Ominous

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I just put my front plate back on cause I don't need to give the cops a reason to pull me over.
I didn't run a front plate when I had my Civic Si and got harrassed about it twice.
I got a ticket for front tint and when I went to go get the ticket signed off the officer noticed I didn't have a front plate. He told me he could write off my tint but then have to issue me a ticket for no front plate, or go home put the plate on and come back.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Ricer Killer

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
LA driver here. I don't have a front plate on my car and so far, I haven't been hassled by the cops about it. I think for the most part, if your car doesn't look "illegal", the police won't bother you. I would say that placing your front plate on your dashboard could possibly bring more attention from the cops.

Quick question, where in LA do you park your car usually? It might also depend with the area, I guess.
My car is BONE STOCK. No performance mods, no nothing. I dont have time or energy at this point. Well, I got 2 of the tickets in Westwood. Another was in downtown LA. i dont have tints, its not lowered.

like i understand my friend gets pulled over all the time in his stage 3 evo, cuz of the noise, tints, height, etc...but mine doesnt even draw attention. and at least for him, he gets the tickets from a cop directly, instead of a little ****** piece of paper on my window. Eh ill prob just suck it up and take it to the police station after a few more citations. i hate having a front plate.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
you could always move to a state without front tags...

go bruins!!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Carpe Ominous

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Clean>Rice
My car is BONE STOCK. No performance mods, no nothing. I dont have time or energy at this point. Well, I got 2 of the tickets in Westwood. Another was in downtown LA. i dont have tints, its not lowered.

like i understand my friend gets pulled over all the time in his stage 3 evo, cuz of the noise, tints, height, etc...but mine doesnt even draw attention. and at least for him, he gets the tickets from a cop directly, instead of a little ****** piece of paper on my window. Eh ill prob just suck it up and take it to the police station after a few more citations. i hate having a front plate.
Westwood it horrible about not having a front plate. My exgf would get 2 tickets in 1 day for not having a front plate, left on her car. of course some of those tickets were 'I never got a ticket'.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Man, I am SO glad Kansas has one plate....
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I never cared for any cops that pulled me over for the plates. I just asked them officer, did I speed? Do I have any suspicious items in my car? Is my License/Insurance valid? Is my Registration OK? They say no, and I say than why the hell did you pull me over? Uhm, you didn't have your front plates, but don't worry Imma give you a warning. Done and done!

Worked 4 times.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:01 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
when i had my 93 integra at UCI/Newport Beach, I never had any problems with it on my dash. We've had plenty of newport parking enforcement over by my townhouse too, since we squeezed 6-7 cars into what is supposed to be a 4 car port. (never got tickets, but our old lady neighbor was an ass and would always make complaints).

at one point i even flagged down a cop that was driving by and asked if the way we parked was illegal--nope, as long as you were within the yellow lines.

zot zot zot.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-31-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ughhh was behind a cop car the other day and he pulled out into an inside lane and back around me and pulled me over just because i dont have front plates..bs!!! ><
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Ricer Killer

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
I never cared for any cops that pulled me over for the plates. I just asked them officer, did I speed? Do I have any suspicious items in my car? Is my License/Insurance valid? Is my Registration OK? They say no, and I say than why the hell did you pull me over? Uhm, you didn't have your front plates, but don't worry Imma give you a warning. Done and done!

Worked 4 times.
yea that works for me and my friend in orange county, but LA popo are just bloodthirsty. my friend gets pulled over for everything. he was going 4 over in a 45mph zone...

funny anecdote. my friend got a red light camera ticket when he did a "california roll" and right when the camera went off, he flipped it off. picture came in the mail a week later. i got scared about him getting a huge fine. but then he told me (before LA newspapers released the statement) that his lawyer told him that they cant enforce red light camera citations LOL
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey DaeHanMeenGuk where are you located?

I live in the heart of the downtown Los Angeles area (go Trojans! WHO SAID GO BRUINS?! ) and I got pulled over for not having a front license plate. It has since been fixed.

How I got the ticket was pretty retarded though... I was going to get some food at around 2 in the morning, made a LEGAL U-turn right in front of cops and next thing I know I was getting pulled over. LAPD is so annoying sometimes, they pull you over for the sake of pulling you over, and they will find something you charge you with AFTER pulling you over. Sometimes I just think those fatties just want to take a walk after sitting on their asses for hours on end. Whatever floats their boat I guess .
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy270211
Hey DaeHanMeenGuk where are you located?

I live in the heart of the downtown Los Angeles area (go Trojans! WHO SAID GO BRUINS?! ) and I got pulled over for not having a front license plate. It has since been fixed.

How I got the ticket was pretty retarded though... I was going to get some food at around 2 in the morning, made a LEGAL U-turn right in front of cops and next thing I know I was getting pulled over. LAPD is so annoying sometimes, they pull you over for the sake of pulling you over, and they will find something you charge you with AFTER pulling you over. Sometimes I just think those fatties just want to take a walk after sitting on their asses for hours on end. Whatever floats their boat I guess .
Hi Andy! I'm actually located in Koreatown at the moment. I had my car for a little over a month now and so far, no issues with the police. I actually pass by some police cars that are patrolling but they don't seem to really care about me not having a front plate. Then again, perhaps each officer acts differently towards front plate policy.

If you're curious about my driving hours, I tend to drive down to OC between 3-6 pm (I deal with a lot of LA traffic ) and I doubt that the police would try to pull a car over when the streets are jam packed with other drivers who are itching to go home. And I come back to K-town between 1-4 am and I rarely encounter cops during those times.

And maybe the police pulled you over that night because they thought that you were avoiding them with that U-turn? In their books, it could be considered "suspicious activity."

You know, kinda like how people try to avoid DUI checkpoints and eventually get pulled over for trying to dodge it.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
^ Haha yeah it seemed like a random DUI check at first, until he walked to the front of the car to document my license number only to find nothing there . Man, my 2AM chill cruise to blow off some steam from schoolwork in my precious car ended on a low note lol... But that was half a year go.

I've only been pulled over once after that (AGAIN it was during one of my late night chill cruises ) but that cop probably just wanted someone to talk to since he was pretty chill after realizing I had done nothing wrong. So yeah, LAPD does have a wide range of popos...
Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldnt put it on the dash. My cusin is a shariff in CA somwhere. He has told me stories of arriveing to a car accident sceens and seeing people decapitated from their plates. So if its worth the risk and image go for it. But as for me the plate sits on my front bumper.

Sorry didnt mean lecture. You just never know.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
If you put it on your windshield you will get a ticket for obstruction of view and no front plates.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
i know someone that put it on their dashboard windshield and got into an accident, that license plate ended up slicing part of his left cheek open..

personally, its a accident waiting to happen, i wouldn't do it. no one should do it. either you run with or without it, putting it on dashboard does not help your case when getting a ticket for it.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Got The Midas Touch

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep been popped for it twice in California (Central Coast). License plate has to be on the front bumper, I had it once in the windshield and honestly that was the worst place ever it rattled and moved everywhere, then I moved it up to the passenger visor so I could flip it down when I saw a police, they didn't like that either. Currently I have it mounted with zip ties on the passenger side lower grill doesn't look too bad but I wish I could run without any plate. Before it wasn't any hassle but now they are out to ticket everyone and their moms in California it seems, I had gotten ticketed for my tint after 2 years of running it and then after I retinted I was ticketed the same day the tint went on. Now I have to go to lengths to make sure my car is legal to the T which sucks but just in case I get ticketed for anything I know I can fight it.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I leave mine in the trunk and if I get pulled over, I tell them my mounting bracket broke off and that I need to go home to get some hardware. I dont dare put it on my dashboard cause it just draws attention to the cop that the license plate is next to my face and not on my bumper. Especially since I have NBP, the white sticks out too much
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
i know someone that put it on their dashboard windshield and got into an accident, that license plate ended up slicing part of his left cheek open..

personally, its a accident waiting to happen, i wouldn't do it. no one should do it. either you run with or without it, putting it on dashboard does not help your case when getting a ticket for it.
Who cares about the fine... this is what I would fear. Get into a large accident going fast and that plate is probably sharp enough to cut your neck pretty good.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
+1 I've got more fix it tickets for having my front license plate on my dash than not having one displayed at all. I have the ACURA insert too, and i think cops think that's the way it's suppose to be. But i know if they ever get bored I'll be another statistic.If you're gonna get busted might as well not have it on at all.

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk

The following users liked this post:
Clean>Rice (02-01-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You will get more tickets for it. I got one with my stock, gold 99 CL parked in front of my house. My dog actually tore it off one day haha.