Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front license plate

when i bought my TL it came with the front license plate holder already installed, i asked the sales person if they had the little fill in peices for the front bumper if say i took the plate holder off so i can fill in the drill holes with. does anyone know where i can buy this part ( if anyone knows what im talking about) ?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny04TL
when i bought my TL it came with the front license plate holder already installed, i asked the sales person if they had the little fill in peices for the front bumper if say i took the plate holder off so i can fill in the drill holes with. does anyone know where i can buy this part ( if anyone knows what im talking about) ?
This has been asked and answered many times, but I think handaparts.com has them. Search on "license plate plugs" and you will surely find them - this is probably covered in one of the stickies, above. Generally here, if you think the question has been asked before, it has. Good luck with your car - mine has been great, with hardly any of the "big problems" (dinky ones I would say) that seem to get ranted here a lot.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86239
Old 10-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny04TL
I told my salesman that I didn't want the bracket installed at all on my car before delivery. Of course, word didn't get down to the PDI dude so it was installed. I then immediately took it off and used the plugs to fill in holes.
I say that to say this, they come with the car. They were in the new car package that you got when you picked it up. In a little ziploc baggie.
If you didn't get, I would go to dealer and tell them to pull some from another car.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Racer

yea, i called the dealer and asked for parts deparment and they said it cost 15 bucks each painted for the plugs, so 30 bucks for both hold. i think 30 bucks is bs for 2 little plugs..
Old 10-02-2004, 04:20 PM
USMC Butterbars

I paid $1 for plugs that fit my car. I bought these plugs from lowes that were made for some other use. I just merely painted them with touchup paint and stuck them into the hole. I will have pictures of them up shortly.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
You got a crooked no good rotten dealer, and it makes my blood boil to read stuff like this.

First of all, look in the glove box, they are usually there, or maybe somewhere in the trunk. If not, go back to the PDI guy and ask him for them, because if they don't put them back in the car like they are supposed to, they throw them in a drawer somewhere.

That's not the part that makes me so mad. Here it is. Go to this link and go to #11, which is the plug you need. They come already painted to match, and-get this-they list for $1.95. You can get them for $1.66 but then you would have to pay shipping, so it would be easier to get them from your dealer. But he should provide them, since they came with the car and what comes with the car is rightfully yours.
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no
Old 10-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron A
You got a crooked no good rotten dealer, and it makes my blood boil to read stuff like this.

First of all, look in the glove box, they are usually there, or maybe somewhere in the trunk. If not, go back to the PDI guy and ask him for them, because if they don't put them back in the car like they are supposed to, they throw them in a drawer somewhere.

That's not the part that makes me so mad. Here it is. Go to this link and go to #11, which is the plug you need. They come already painted to match, and-get this-they list for $1.95. You can get them for $1.66 but then you would have to pay shipping, so it would be easier to get them from your dealer. But he should provide them, since they came with the car and what comes with the car is rightfully yours.
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no
EXACTLY my point !!!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:30 PM
clintrob

or - if you live in Texas, you must have a front plate... got my new TX plates today, rekon I'm a Texan now
Old 10-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Racer

Danny04TL,

Same thing happened to me when I bought from Keyes. I didn't bother with the salesman or parts dept, I called Customer Service who provided me with them. They originally came with your car so you should get them for free. Whose your dealer?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by clintrob
or - if you live in Texas, you must have a front plate... got my new TX plates today, rekon I'm a Texan now
CA is the same way
Old 10-02-2004, 06:07 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mine were in my glove box. i had no clue what the heck they were... i found them the same night i got my car and i couldnt figure it out. then i started takin the front license plate holder off, cause, well, it just looks ridiculous and then i was pleasently surprised.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My dealership ordered the Acura plugs (factory painted to your car's color) for my front license holes... they were three dollars each.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
My dealership ordered the Acura plugs (factory painted to your car's color) for my front license holes... they were three dollars each.
That's getting better. They only charged you $1.05 over list price.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

for something that should be free because it comes with the car
Old 10-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 92NSX
for something that should be free because it comes with the car
We make a good team. Let's keep up the good work.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Team Nighthawk President

My dealer mailed them to me from NJ when I decided to take the plate off. No charge of course...I agree with the others, they are part of the car and should be given to you off a new vehicle.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

We make a good team. Let's keep up the good work.
I'm with ya !!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Racer

RonA and others...Thanks for the great info, I printed out the Sunnyside parts list and will take it to my dealer to get the new plugs...for $1.66!! I bought mine used so I really can not complain about not having them when I bought it. Looks a LOT better without the plate but the holes are annoying.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
I bought mine used so I really can not complain about not having them when I bought it.
Great attitude to have about it.

Originally Posted by thegarbrielles
Looks a LOT better without the plate but the holes are annoying.
You are so right. Gotta let the 'Acura' name show.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

my plugs were in a little baggie along with the wheel locks. the baggie was stored in the trunk in the spare tire compartment.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ozone
my plugs were in a little baggie along with the wheel locks. the baggie was stored in the trunk in the spare tire compartment.
That is one thing I've never looked for is the wheel locks. I thought those were just an option.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:27 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is one thing I've never looked for is the wheel locks. I thought those were just an option.
they are an option
Old 10-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
they are an option
Thanks, I thought they were.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Thanks, I thought they were.

Yes they are an option, but my dealer includes them in all vehicles for free.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Racer

I just got back from the dealership, the TL is in for a driveline Vibration. I went to the parts counter and the guy checked it out and yeah no problem we can get you those for $15.00 each. I tend to not be so subtle sometimes so you cana figure my response. He goes to the back and comes back with a printout that says the dealership (Acura Carland in Atlanta Ga) pays over $7.00 each for them and there is no way he or anyone else can sell them for under $2.00. Unfortunately I forgot the printout. I will take it with me when I pick up the car and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Racer

id say.. the hell with you.. im suppose to get them with the car for FREE!!! dont pay for them...
Old 10-14-2004, 06:14 AM
Team Nighthawk President

I just got back from the dealership, the TL is in for a driveline Vibration. I went to the parts counter and the guy checked it out and yeah no problem we can get you those for $15.00 each. I tend to not be so subtle sometimes so you cana figure my response. He goes to the back and comes back with a printout that says the dealership (Acura Carland in Atlanta Ga) pays over $7.00 each for them and there is no way he or anyone else can sell them for under $2.00. Unfortunately I forgot the printout. I will take it with me when I pick up the car and see what happens.

That is a flat out lie. When the vehicle is delivered to the dealership, those caps are on the vehicle. Most dealerships remove them to install the front plate if it is required by state law. Some dealers save them and put them in the glove compartment, while others throw them away. The bottom line is here, they do come with the vehicle and certainly they could take them off another vehichle that they are prepping for delivery and give them to you. I mean really...to nickel and dime someone who just spent over $30k on a vehicle?!?!?! I would mention to them that I am going to let Acura know in your customer service survey. Also, I would have asked service/pdi not parts. They are the ones that sees them when they detail the new vehicles. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Racer

Well, I actually bought mine used so they did not come with mine when I bought it. But I also agree there should be no big deal getting a couple of cheap plugs for my 30k car I bought from them. When I go to get the car back from the service dept I will ask again. I did ask the service writer when I dropped it off and he said he could not provide them for me, but maybe if I go back to my salesman.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:33 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Well, I actually bought mine used so they did not come with mine when I bought it. But I also agree there should be no big deal getting a couple of cheap plugs for my 30k car I bought from them. When I go to get the car back from the service dept I will ask again. I did ask the service writer when I dropped it off and he said he could not provide them for me, but maybe if I go back to my salesman.

I see your point that you brought it used but at some point they came from the factory on the vehicle and so they belong to you regardless (IMO). I cannot believe that they would be willing to risk you as a future customer over some $.02 caps. I guess it comes across that I feel strongly about this?!?!?!
Old 10-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Racer

I was fortunate when I went to pick the car up my service writer was out to lunch because the guy that helped me had a drawer full of them. He only had one set of Redondo Red, but he gave them to me. Its amazing how much cleaner the car looks with them on!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Team Nighthawk President

I was fortunate when I went to pick the car up my service writer was out to lunch because the guy that helped me had a drawer full of them. He only had one set of Redondo Red, but he gave them to me. Its amazing how much cleaner the car looks with them on!!!

Excellent outcome!!! They do make the front look sooooo much better!
Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 PM
100k miles club

My plate bracket was installed plus they drilled an extra screw on the middle. I took it off and found that hole. The dealer eventually fixed the hole.

Danny04TL: did you get your TL from Thomas Acura? That's where I got mine but their service dept. sucks so much A$$. I now go to Downey near my work for future service needs.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Racer

w1n78.... i originally was gonna get my TL from thomas but the sales manager was being an A$$ to us after the fact we made a deal with the sales man so we decided not to get the car there.. i ended up getting the car at sierra acrua in alhambra.. service there and everything so far so good.. i took my car in today because i had a start up problem.. i think other TL's are having the same problem.. but anyways it was just a bad battery which the replced free no problem...
Old 10-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I am happy that the wheel locks are an option, and that my dealer does not provide them "free" (nothing at a car shop is free). *

I think they are ugly, and any serious thief can easily bypass them, and a hacker kid is likely to do more collateral damage if frustrated. Looking through the manual and the press pictures, I see none of the cars is shown with the locks on - guess Acura figured out they are ugly as well. The side moldings still beat them on the TUMS (Tl ugly measurement system). It goes BEEP in my mind when I see goofy gizmos on a nice design. (Like moon roof windscreens, door edge moldings, parking springs, mud guards on fenders entirely enclosed by the sheet metal, etc.).

* On previous cars, the dealers refused to remove them, and I ended up having to shell out $10-20 to get 4 standard lug nuts.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Team Anthracite member

got mine from Thomas Acura too....didn't have much problems...but their sales people were getting a lil ridiculous when we talked about pricing. The final price I gave them was $37,200 out the door. They came back at me with $37,225. Then I got up to leave and their sales grabbed my arm and said OK OK we'll do your price.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Team Anthracite member

sorry to get off the subject...i also wanted to know if it was possible to not use the front license plate in CA. is it just a fix it ticket? i think the car would look alot better without front plates.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:39 AM
Racer

yea the car looks soo much better without the front licese plate... but you gotta put the plugs in.. cant leave the whole left open... but anyways.. it is manditory to have the front plates.. what i dont get is why the "high end" cars i see never have the front plates and the cops never pull them over.. so yea.. its just a fix it ticket...
Old 10-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Advanced

In Hawaii it is against the law to run your car without a front license plate, BUT the TL looks sooo much better without the plate on the front! It's only wrong if you get caught! KNOCK ON WOOD!
Old 10-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by HAWAIIS FINEST
In Hawaii it is against the law to run your car without a front license plate, BUT the TL looks sooo much better without the plate on the front! It's only wrong if you get caught! KNOCK ON WOOD!
True dat! No plates here.
I also believe that the TL is considered to be a high-end automobile that law enforcement would leave alone for not having a measly front plate. I've been harassed before in other cars, but never in my TL.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:57 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

I didnt bother to read all the existing replies in this thread, so I apologize if its redundant, but if you want a set of bumper plugs for your TL and especially if your dealer installs the front plate on every car off the lot...

JUST ASK YOUR DEALER

If s/he gives a crap about you as a customer or about any future business you may be sending their way, they will find you a set of bumper plugs for FREEEEE. All I had to do is ask my Dealer once and within a few weeks he got a set. All he did was tell the guys who prep the arriving cars for customers what he wanted and as soon as one of them had the right color, he dropped a set on his desk.

So anyway, just ask nice. Make your dealer earn that comission.