Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Paint Peeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Bumper Paint Peeling

Well, 33k miles later my front bumper paint is starting to peel. I recall seeing other threads regarding this for '04's. What kind of actions/responses did you guys get from dealerships. I need to go and talk to them sometime this week.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Advanced

They repainted mine. Peeling again however.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my experience, Factory Acura paint almost never peels. Is it original paint? If so, I'd get your local dealer to look at it.

Got pics?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Team SSM

Well, I'm on bumper number 3.

Acura is aware of the problem
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing that makes the TL a greal deal is that the painting process is not what it is on other cars. I recall this back in the 2G days where there was a lengthy discussion and description about money saved in the painting process (fewer coats I believe). But, peeling paint was a by product of their process. I had painted the front bumper 3 times in 80,000 miles.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Team SSM

Is it peeling where the fender meets the bumper??? Mine did it on both sides on the first bumper and only on the pass. side on bumper #2. When #2 was installed, the dealer said they used a spacer so the two would not touch. A lot of good that did. Cool thing is, I get a new ClearBra everytime!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Dealer waivering on re-paint

Well, I spoke to the Sr. Service manager and she was not real receptive to repainting. She acknowledged that they have had issues but they have been where the front fascia meets the headlights and where it meets the fender. I showed her that it was peeling down to the plastic so it wasn't from rock chips. She did se some bubbling which indicates bad prep but she could not repaint it if it wasn't peeling in the areas indicated. So while she was looking at the rear bumper (she said that it happens there to), i looked closer. I noticed that at the seam where the passenger headlight meets the bumper was peeling. As soon as she saw that she said they would re-paint it. She does want the Acura America Reginal Manager to take a look at it next week while he is in town for the other peeling. I need to learn how to post pics sometime this week.
She also mentioned that they will replace my scratched tint once free of charge and then if it scratches it is up to me. I am going to talk to the regional guy next week and bring up the seat isssue and warped rotors and see what happens.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car where the bumper rubbed... PICS as earlier requested.

Still need to take back to dealer... Car is dirty as it was right after I got the car and it had been raining. Wanted to take a picture ASAP of the paint peeling. I fully expect they will paint the bumper or replace it completely.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by NYFENIXTL
Well, I spoke to the Sr. Service manager and she was not real receptive to repainting. She acknowledged that they have had issues but they have been where the front fascia meets the headlights and where it meets the fender. I showed her that it was peeling down to the plastic so it wasn't from rock chips. She did se some bubbling which indicates bad prep but she could not repaint it if it wasn't peeling in the areas indicated. So while she was looking at the rear bumper (she said that it happens there to), i looked closer. I noticed that at the seam where the passenger headlight meets the bumper was peeling. As soon as she saw that she said they would re-paint it. She does want the Acura America Reginal Manager to take a look at it next week while he is in town for the other peeling. I need to learn how to post pics sometime this week.
She also mentioned that they will replace my scratched tint once free of charge and then if it scratches it is up to me. I am going to talk to the regional guy next week and bring up the seat isssue and warped rotors and see what happens.
Is this on an 05 !!!! holy crap!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Front Bumper replacement

Yesterday I visited a local Acura dealer to meet with the area rep concerning paint peeling on my front bumper. The peeling was located on the lower side of the front bumper in two places. There was some bubbling, too. The service manager intimated that there had been some repainting and he said he saw some brush and scratch marks and was hesitant to assist me. I am the original owner and have never so much as touched this car with anything but total care. He did say that the area rep would have to see it and make the call. As it turned out, the area rep looked at it and his exact words were "get him a new bumper". The local guy was still trying and said the peeling area could have been pushed in and when returned to original shape cracked the paint. But it was a done deal. They will order a new bumper (unpainted) have it painted off the car and put on by their dealership. I wasn't particularly thrilled by their attitude. I purchased two cars from this dealer location, although they now are under different ownership. I think I will be hesitant when it comes time to buy another Acura from this new group. I do appreciate the area rep's decision and Acura's decision to make this right despite the comments from the local guy.