Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freakin Lip Spoiler!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freakin Lip Spoiler!!

I have to bring my 1 month old car back today because my lip spoiler is coming off!!
I believe someone else was discussing this too, but I'm pissed. My dealer is 40 minutes away and I have to take the afternoon off from work so that THEY can fix a little piece of plastic nothing that I paid $458 FOR!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
ouch that sucks, well they will fix it at no charge, at least they better...
Old 10-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sure is not Honda's best design. I had the same problem after installing mine with it not fitting flush against the bumper in one particular area. I just decided to make it less noticable by picking up some black caulk, to fill in the gap, and since I have a NBP it looks fine now.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

coming off ?? how?

it's suppose to be bolted on...

mine was f'd up the day i picked it up. they had put it on crooked. when they removed it i think they used plastic putty knife to slide across under back side of spoiler, i now have fine scratches all the way down the trunk lid, very fine, but i can see them. my dealer has a terrible service dept.

btw, be really pissed off and have them give you some free stuff.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

2 problems with the lip spoiler:
1. It's fastened to the trunk lid with 2-sided adhesive tape only (no bolts).
2. It's $458 for a piece of plastic that either comes loose or can be pried off by a thief.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Then u got screwed - cuz it is supposed to be bolted on (2)......

....time for a new service dept.

Originally Posted by Anthracite_Man
2 problems with the lip spoiler:
1. It's fastened to the trunk lid with 2-sided adhesive tape only (no bolts).
2. It's $458 for a piece of plastic that either comes loose or can be pried off by a thief.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
Then u got screwed - cuz it is supposed to be bolted on (2)......

....time for a new service dept.
Sure did, sure is, sure is.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html
Old 10-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EMF213
I have to bring my 1 month old car back today because my lip spoiler is coming off!!
I believe someone else was discussing this too, but I'm pissed. My dealer is 40 minutes away and I have to take the afternoon off from work so that THEY can fix a little piece of plastic nothing that I paid $458 FOR!!!!!!!
More than likely, the tech didn't completely clean off the rear trunk with rubbing alcohol per install instructions. There was probably residue left on the car after they washed it and it prevented the double sided tape from sticking properly. They will have to remove it with a heat gun, clean the area throughly, and install a new spoiler for you unless they have some 3M tape handy.

dsc888
Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cvajs
coming off ?? how?

it's suppose to be bolted on...

mine was f'd up the day i picked it up. they had put it on crooked. when they removed it i think they used plastic putty knife to slide across under back side of spoiler, i now have fine scratches all the way down the trunk lid, very fine, but i can see them. my dealer has a terrible service dept.

btw, be really pissed off and have them give you some free stuff.

It's lifting up on the passenger side...there's no bolt there. I can lift it off the trunk lid!!!

Yeah...gona try for the free stuff. I already bitched to the service guy on the phone.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dsc888
More than likely, the tech didn't completely clean off the rear trunk with rubbing alcohol per install instructions. There was probably residue left on the car after they washed it and it prevented the double sided tape from sticking properly. They will have to remove it with a heat gun, clean the area throughly, and install a new spoiler for you unless they have some 3M tape handy.

dsc888
Thanks. I'll tell them that when I get there. Is there a service manual procedure for this installation? I want to let them know it's there if they didn't reference it...
Old 10-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Thanks. I'll tell them that when I get there. Is there a service manual procedure for this installation? I want to let them know it's there if they didn't reference it...
I didn't see anything in the service manual, probably because it is an accesssory. You can print out the installation instructions I referenced above and take them with you.

The studs are probably still on the spoiler but the nuts have come loose, or were never installed. I don't remember if there was something in the installation instructions about checking the nuts for tightness periodically, but you can check that out.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Instructor

$458 bucks? I got quoted for $400 installed =X
Old 10-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by whiteTL
$458 bucks? I got quoted for $400 installed =X
Yeah...They wouldn't budge. I even said "forget it" and they said "ok!" I then decided to go ahead with it since I got a good price on the car. Total rip off though!
Old 10-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Racer

Ok, so it's supposedly fixed. I just got home from the dealer. They didn't remove the spoiler, just reapplied some adhesive and told me not to touch it for a while to let it cure...I hope it holds this time.

Oh, and not even an apology from the dealer...
Old 10-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Ok, so it's supposedly fixed. I just got home from the dealer. They didn't remove the spoiler, just reapplied some adhesive and told me not to touch it for a while to let it cure...I hope it holds this time.

Not a word about them tightening the nuts holding the spoiler down?

Did they do it. If not, prepare for a return visit.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Racer

what dealer did you take it to?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Anyone know how the '05 spoiler's attached. I might have second thoughts about this if it's just "glued" on. I'm buying ours out of state so if it has problems later then it will be a pain to go get it fixed.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I never even thought about how they would be attached. I don't like the idea of someone drilling holes in my trunk lid. I would prefer the 2 sided tape or adhesive myself.

Originally Posted by hondafans
It sure is not Honda's best design. I had the same problem after installing mine with it not fitting flush against the bumper in one particular area
I don't think you really mean bumper do you?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
Not a word about them tightening the nuts holding the spoiler down?

Did they do it. If not, prepare for a return visit.
Nope! I'm already expecting to go back...I pushed down on the spoiler to make sure it was flush and heard a cracking noise when I released pressure...Don't think the adhesive formed a solid bond....

What a nightmare!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nick04tl
what dealer did you take it to?
Acura of Turnersville. Called Sussman because they're closer, but they told me to bring it back to where I bought it...
Old 10-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Nope! I'm already expecting to go back...I pushed down on the spoiler to make sure it was flush and heard a cracking noise when I released pressure...Don't think the adhesive formed a solid bond....

What a nightmare!
I have gone thru something similar to what you are fighting with.
I had a body shop stall some rear spats(body kit) on my NSX with 3M 2 sided tape. I then decided to change rear valance so I removed bumper and spats to accomodate the new part. I didn't like the look of it so I then went back to the original setup. I tried some store bought tape, glue, adhesives and just about everything else I could find with no luck of keeping the two parts bonded.
I went back to that body shop and asked for some of the tape with hopes of resolving the issue. I was told that they only use professional grade tape and once I attached the two parts, kinda like super glue, I would have no problem with the sticking.
Got home that night and tried again only to come out the next morning and notice that they had come off again.
called the body shop and told them of my delima. They said that 95% chance of it not working is the two areas to be bonded MUST be totally free of any residue, dirt, grime or anything. Sure enough, mine wasn't. I will be letting them reinstall them so I can be sure it is done properly.
I said all that to say this. Make sure that they thoroughly clean the deck lid and spoiler before attaching. If they have to remove the tape and clean the underside of the spoiler again then so be it. Otherwise you will continue having same problem.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Racer

Well, It's official...I have to take the car BACK to the dealer because they did a half-@ssed repair job on my spoiler yesterday. It's still raised off the deck of the trunk. I push it down and it pops back up...Freakin b@stards!! I took time off of work yesterday to bring the car to them and they didn't enev fix it right!! WTF????
Old 10-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tsunamiginger
Anyone know how the '05 spoiler's attached. I might have second thoughts about this if it's just "glued" on. I'm buying ours out of state so if it has problems later then it will be a pain to go get it fixed.
Since they didn't change the deck lid or the paint colors for the 05, it is my educated opinion that the spoiler will be the same also.

You can read the installation instructions in my posting above.

For everyone's benefit, the last sentence in the instructions, under USE AND CARE: is

CHECK THE SPOILER MOUNTING NUTS PERIODICALLY, AND RETIGHTEN THEM IF NECESSARY
Old 10-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Racer

I just printed out the instructions and will bring them with to the dealer. Apparently, they either never looked at them or don't know how to read.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Racer

I've never seen a decklid spoiler installed. I presume you can see these nuts inside the trunk? I'm having an A-spec put on and want to make sure they do it right.

Also, how can you tell if they've installed the springs (I know its lowered by 0.5") - do they otherwise look differently behind the wheel in the wheel wells?

How is the body kit attached. I hope its not just double sided tape!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

You have to drop the liner on the trunklid to see the nuts. I installed my own and used a little loctite on the nuts. he spoiler is solid as a rock. They could have removed the studs and taped it on but that would be almost as much trouble as just doing it right.

Hope you get it fixed correctly.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frenchcu
You have to drop the liner on the trunklid to see the nuts. I installed my own and used a little loctite on the nuts. he spoiler is solid as a rock. They could have removed the studs and taped it on but that would be almost as much trouble as just doing it right.

Hope you get it fixed correctly.
Did you do the whole kit or just the spoiler?
I too am curious about the body kit attaching hardware.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MyJohnson
I've never seen a decklid spoiler installed. I presume you can see these nuts inside the trunk? I'm having an A-spec put on and want to make sure they do it right.

Also, how can you tell if they've installed the springs (I know its lowered by 0.5") - do they otherwise look differently behind the wheel in the wheel wells?

How is the body kit attached. I hope its not just double sided tape!
my johnson,
Just a little f.y.i. for you just in case the dealer try's to pull a fast one on you. When you purchase the aspec kit. You are entitled to everything that came on your car stock. That means they have to give you the tires and wheels, springs, steering whell ect. Dont let they try to pull a fast one on you. It happens all the time.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Acura of Turnersville. Called Sussman because they're closer, but they told me to bring it back to where I bought it...
Yeah they are a bunch of snobs and idiot's at Turnersville complex. Complex is the key word. Too big for individual customer attention. I orginally went there and ended up buying my TL at Castle Acura In New Castle Del. And I live 5 mins from Turnersville Complex! Would not negotiate on the price. I ended up saving 2,000 at Castle. I went on vacation in July to Fla and my car sat for about 2 Wks. When I got back my battery was completely dead. After I got the car started I discovered all my codes had to be reset for the navi and the audio. I got the code set for the navi just fine, but had a problem with the audio code. After six tries you are locked out and the dealer has to reset it. Well I panicked and took my car to Turnersville The idiot in service was taking my battery cable off and on saying this resets the audio. Needless to say after about 4 tries this did not work because I later found out this was the procedure for the 03 and earlier Tls I ended up resetting it myself after reading the manual and finding out all I had to do is run the car for 1 hour with radio on and then it would let me enter the codes again This time I made sure I got the code right on the first try! So my theory here is the bigger dealer is not always the better dealer
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Cruisin'

OOPs I forgot!
04 TL
WDP
Parchment Int.
Navi
Old 10-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by IKURAS
Yeah they are a bunch of snobs and idiot's at Turnersville complex. Complex is the key word. Too big for individual customer attention. I orginally went there and ended up buying my TL at Castle Acura In New Castle Del. And I live 5 mins from Turnersville Complex! Would not negotiate on the price. I ended up saving 2,000 at Castle. I went on vacation in July to Fla and my car sat for about 2 Wks. When I got back my battery was completely dead. After I got the car started I discovered all my codes had to be reset for the navi and the audio. I got the code set for the navi just fine, but had a problem with the audio code. After six tries you are locked out and the dealer has to reset it. Well I panicked and took my car to Turnersville The idiot in service was taking my battery cable off and on saying this resets the audio. Needless to say after about 4 tries this did not work because I later found out this was the procedure for the 03 and earlier Tls I ended up resetting it myself after reading the manual and finding out all I had to do is run the car for 1 hour with radio on and then it would let me enter the codes again This time I made sure I got the code right on the first try! So my theory here is the bigger dealer is not always the better dealer
I've bought three cars from Turnersville. My 2000 Maxima, My wife's 04 Pathfinder and my TL. After about two hours of haggling, they were the best deal on my TL. That's the reason I went with them. Sussman couldn't come close to the price/trade deal I got. I'll most likely get my car serviced at Sussman though. It's closer and I have a feeling they pay more attention to detail.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Racer

UPDATE:

After speaking to the Service Manager, I brought the car back yesterday and they put a brand new lip spoiler on. I watched them do it and they cleaned the area with alchohol first. The new spoiler looks good. Got some free touch-up paint (gee, thanks), but I also got the Service Mgr to agree to a nicely reduced price on an ASpec install that I will most likely do soon...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

was it bolted on or fastened with 2 sided tape.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthracite_Man
was it bolted on or fastened with 2 sided tape.
Both.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

I have the wing spoiler and I know that's taped and bolted on too. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that someone had their lip spoiler pried off and that the owner couldn't believe that the lip spoiler was only attached with 2-sided tape. I guess his dealership pulled a fast one on him.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Racer

Oh...No mie was drilled. Saw the holes myself.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

To answer the question someone asked I only installed the spoiler.
I would assume like most body kits the a-spec kit goes on with a mix of tape and screws but I have not actually worked with one.