Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First car ever; used with some issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First car ever; used with some issues

Hey, new user and face to AZ. Recently purchased a 2006 NBP TL w/ Nav with 75k miles for 12.400. I was a happy camper! Only had it for less than a week but I had already posted one thread in the problems and fixes; turns out it was a dead battery. Batteries are not covered under the used car warranties in New York but they were willing to give me a discount on a new Deka battery for $55.

So far I've drove it for maybe about 50 miles. I love it, the 3rd generation TL was always my favorite to stare at and now I am a proud owner of one.

But today... I felt the woes and gamble you take when buying a used car. I took my car to Paragon Acura in Queens New York to get it checked out. This is my first car and I didn't want anything to happen to it so I wanted a professional mechanic to take a look at it. I know with the year and mileage it was out of Acura's standard warranties so I would have to bite it for the diagnostic.

After an hour plus wait, I get the bad news... power steering pump and right side engine mount needs to be replaced. I knew for a fact there was something wrong with the pump after my purchase. The steering wheel would sometimes give a lot of resistance at low speeds; parking for example. I was ok to have them fix that for me. I read of this TL generation with a lot of power steering issues. The recall on the hose was done but the pump itself does not work correctly. I saw a thread in the "garage" about the pump overhaul but being that this is my first car ever, I have no expertise and wouldn't want to try the DIY but would love to learn eventually.

What surprised me was the broken right engine mount. The mount was missing one screw and the other screw was broken, half embedded in the mount. The mechanic showed me the broken mount and explained the reasons why it should be replaced. I was worried that with a broken mount, my engine would collapse lol.

So pretty much I drove my TL in only to have it stay over to get fixed. I was concerned about my "new" car and they quoted me $903 for everything; after some negotiations. At first I didn't really know what to think... I was baffled at the findings and how much the repairs would be but I went ahead with it. I know buying used is great for saving money upfront but in the long run, you'll have to cough up some to rescue it. I just so happen to rescue it ASAP.

Loaned me a 2010 TSX for the week, won't be able to pick it up till Wednesday because of my personal time.

Every TL has its stories... this just happens to be my beginning. Anyways just wanted to share. I'll definitely be looking into these forums for more insight and advice.

I'll probably be going certified pre-own or new next time... >_<
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Worth my weight in SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats on new ownership!
Question... Did you get the car looked at before you purchased it? And if you knew the powersteering was on the frits why didnt you bring that to the dealers attention as soon as you noticed it?
I understand that these are used cars but you just dropped $11.5k only to have to fix things in the first few weeks of ownership. THAT BLOWS
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 PM
My First Acura

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Motor mounts failing are quite common in this car. However I don't recall seeing any threads where the engine collapsed through the car lol... It just causes cabin vibrations
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Dont ever go to paragon acura... read about it online..
Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Sounds like there trying to rip you off just because it is Paragon Acura
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
lol how the fuck did half a screw get embedded in the middle of a motor mount... cannibalized?

yelp is your best friend if you do not know of good reliable and reasonably priced shops.

go for 5 star only and chances are you won't have as much headaches as some or most people.

bought my car end of august 2011

Upon buying my car apparently i had a knock sensor CEL that kept coming and going for the first few months of driving. finally got that dealt with few months ago. From that point no problems aside from my suspension install which i could have fucked. i'll need to take pics and post them. doesn't look normal...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by advance pass go
Congrats on new ownership!
Question... Did you get the car looked at before you purchased it? And if you knew the powersteering was on the frits why didnt you bring that to the dealers attention as soon as you noticed it?
I understand that these are used cars but you just dropped $11.5k only to have to fix things in the first few weeks of ownership. THAT BLOWS
I got a friend of mine who repairs trucks for a living to take a look at it. Air filter, headlights, tires were changed. Put in a spare tire and the test drive was smooth. I guess the right side mount was overlooked. Sigh

and lol on the Paragon Acura reviews... now I know better? You know what's funny, I was actually trying to go to this site on one of their computers in the waiting room and access was denied. Hahah.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Too bad they screwed you over. At least now you shouldn't have any pump/mount issues (Disclaimer: you probably will). :x Sorry
Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
OP, snatch a set of tools and DIY.

Only using the dealer for electrical related diagnostics really helps the wallet.

Personally I'll break any bolt loose but when it comes to electrical gremlins....yeah. lol
Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
right mount is super easy to DIY. If you want OEM, buy it from a dealer willing to price match acuraoemparts.com or something similar.

all of the bolts are accessible like right there in front of you. I wouldnt consider myself an experienced DIY guy and I did it with no problems.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I was under the impression that batteries are warrantied for the life of the car, if its the OEM battery.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Funny they offered you a Deka battery, that's who I work for!

I'm surprised as well it wasn't covered.. my car is an 08 and the battery failed for inspection earlier this month, they replaced it for free!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A 2006 TL with your miles and NAVI, is valued at almost $17,000 on KBB.. You got it for $12,000. Do the math, it's 5 grand less,There u go! If the deal is Too good to be true, it usually is!

Should have gotten it checked out by your mechanic a.) before you bought it, or b.) within the first couple days of having it!

IN Pennsylvania there is a "lemon law," where u have like 3 or 4 days no questions asked to return it. It's in those days ur supposed to have it looked at. Live and learn brosky
Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Guiltyox
I was under the impression that batteries are warrantied for the life of the car, if its the OEM battery.
unfortunately it's not.

OP- stay away from Paragon from here on out IMHO based on horror stories here on AZ.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:59 AM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
Wow 900 bucks? I think that's a little ridiculous since both those parts are directly in front of you when you pop the hood. Easily accessible jobs that they should be able to do blindfolded by now.

That's wack.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
congrat and sorry to hear that. you already got a deal on the car, spend some money to make it right so u can sleep tight at night
Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 601 Likes on 418 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Get the repairs done and then move on. You will not be disappointed.