Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Lightbulb First Car!

As much as I would like to consider myself the only teenager that surfs these forums regularly, I know I'm not alone...

Anyways, I'm turning 16 in three months and I am lucky enough to take one of my parent's current cars. (Whichever one I choose, my parents will treat themselves to a new car) My options are honestly really awesome: A 2004 Lexus RX330 (AWD, 77k) and a 2006 Acura TL (Auto, 55k). Don't pull the 'spoiled' card because I am no where near that. I'm a great student, respectful, and more than anything, responsible. I live in a very ritzy part of Florida, where kids my age drive M3s, Benzes, and other crazy expensive cars. I understand this is an Acura forum, and it would be no different if I posted on the ClubLexus forum, but I was wondering if I could get any unbiased recommendations.

The RX330 is in superb condition and is loaded with basically every option available, including the AWD package and technology package (I live in Florida, where the rain is more of an issue than snow). Granted it is a bit older than the TL, but I feel it will hold it's value much better when I am ready to buy a car on my own.

The TL is in good condition, my mom got rear-ended a few years ago and the passenger-side rear bumper is a little uneven due to a crappy fix from Acura (this is my OCD talking, haha) and there are a few scratches around the car (It's Abyss Blue Pearl and dark colors show everything!) Nevertheless, this TL is loaded with everything inside as well.

The tech in the TL is better, as is it's sportiness, but my dad is straining that his RX as a safer bet for a first car, and I agree. Please, any suggestions would be totally cool!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Spoiled.

Just kidding. Welcome!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I went MG Convertible when I was 16.
Your are only 16 once and it was good for girls ... then.
I did not worry about value then.
If I could go back ... would have bought a '69 Hemicuda convertible.
A guy was asking $4 K then in 2002 a similar sold for $2.5 M.
Whatever you buy ... drive safe and elcome aboard.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by brandongoldman

I was wondering if I could get any unbiased recommendations.

No.

Get the TL.

Oh, and learn to do your own maint and mods. It's an easy car to do basic work on. It's not just a good "skill", but the experience you'll gain to keep shops from jacking you everytime you show up is invaluable. It'll pay off for a long, long time.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Honestly you can't go wrong either way. Its a win win situation for your parents and you. I might be a bit biased but I would go with the TL.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Welcome. The tl is a better looking car but the rx for all intensive purposes is more practical for a teen. And it has the lexus badge which unfortunately is associated with higher luxury than acura. Plus you wont have to deal with auto trans issues
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
I'd definitely go with the TL. I don't know what the drivers are like in your area, but here in LA/Orange County, most people who drive a Lexus RX are Asian moms and they're awful drivers. So naturally, I'd pick the TL over the RX. But hey, this is just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
TheBandito (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I just did a Google search of RX330 and they aren't perfect either ... seems like there was electronic & tranny issues too..

AWD is a negative given where you live and the added weight and reduced gas milage.

Now the other thought .. you have prolly noticed there is girls out there ... seems they would be attracted more to a sporty sedan than an SUV.

You mentioned a few flaws in the TL.. are the scratches deep or superficial? You can get a lot of self pride learning how to detail your car and removing, minimizing a lot of these issues. Not only that you could keep up the rest of the family fleet to show your appreciation.

The TL would be a lot easier to modify than the RX330 to personalize it. Gives you incentive to get a part time job and save a little money for mods and the likes.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
-Brandon

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I just did a Google search of RX330 and they aren't perfect either ... seems like there was electronic & tranny issues too..

AWD is a negative given where you live and the added weight and reduced gas milage.

Now the other thought .. you have prolly noticed there is girls out there ... seems they would be attracted more to a sporty sedan than an SUV.

You mentioned a few flaws in the TL.. are the scratches deep or superficial? You can get a lot of self pride learning how to detail your car and removing, minimizing a lot of these issues. Not only that you could keep up the rest of the family fleet to show your appreciation.

The TL would be a lot easier to modify than the RX330 to personalize it. Gives you incentive to get a part time job and save a little money for mods and the likes.
Never thought of it that way. The scratches are just hairline-type scratches. I know they could be buffed out, and maybe learning to do it myself wouldn't be such a bad idea (as long as I don't make it worse ) I've read a lot about tranny issues on the RX, as I have for the TL. No car is perfect! Even though the keys would be mine, the car is not under my name completely so trying to personalize it would not be an easy task I always thought the Abyss Blue color was kind of girly, but I guess it really isn't much better than driving in a soccer mom-Lexus. Luckily I have three months to worry about it, but thanks for all the opinions!

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
I'd definitely go with the TL. I don't know what the drivers are like in your area, but here in LA/Orange County, most people who drive a Lexus RX are Asian moms and they're awful drivers. So naturally, I'd pick the TL over the RX. But hey, this is just my opinion.
I think it's more of a soccer-mom type car. I just like the safety of the RX, and the extra cargo room would be great in college. Decisions, decisions

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-29-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Between those 2 I would go with the TL. Keep being a good, respectful kid and we won't have to e-slap the crap out of you.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TL is more of a chick magnet
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
-Brandon

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Between those 2 I would go with the TL. Keep being a good, respectful kid and we won't have to e-slap the crap out of you.
Thanks! I spend to much time studying and staying busy to have time to goof off with other 16 year old goons

Originally Posted by TLperfection
TL is more of a chick magnet
In your honest opinion, would you consider the Abyss Blue a girly color? I think I'm just to attached to the silver and grey TL

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-29-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
In your honest opinion, would you consider the Abyss Blue a girly color? I think I'm just to attached to the silver and grey TL
Not at all.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
I think it's more of a soccer-mom type car. I just like the safety of the RX, and the extra cargo room would be great in college. Decisions, decisions
I bet that your college friends in the future will try to ask you to help them move a lot with that kind of cargo room. I would know, I drove a Honda Pilot back in my college days...

But I'll admit that having an SUV comes in handy during snowboard trips here in SoCal
Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
...spoiled
Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure wish I was giving a car at 16! I was only told to get the hell out! haha :p
Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM
-Brandon

Originally Posted by Fabo_07Type-S
I sure wish I was giving a car at 16! I was only told to get the hell out! haha :p
Well I'll be paying for the gas, a large portion of the insurance, and much of the maintenance. I have my own job, which is pretty good thing so I don't have to baby off of my parents.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
OP, a word of advice from somebody that was in your shoes three years ago... DO NOT PUT ANYTHING AHEAD OF SCHOOL!! Especially modding your TL (that is if you pick to keep it). Cars, friends, and girlfriends come and go. How you perform in school now will ultimately determine the rest of your life.

I know most people are jealous of you because your getting such a nice car at only fifteen years of age, but they should be more jealous of how mature you are at that age. I know I am at least.

As far as which car to choose, take the TL hands down. I mean do you really wanna own a RX330 when you could have owned a TL instead?

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 01-29-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM
-Brandon

Originally Posted by akplaya92
OP, a word of advice from somebody that was in your shoes three years ago... DO NOT PUT ANYTHING AHEAD OF SCHOOL!! Especially modding your TL (that is if you pick to keep it). Cars, friends, and girlfriends come and go. How you perform in school now will ultimately determine the rest of your life.

I know most people are jealous of you because your getting such a nice car at only fifteen years of age, but they should be more jealous of how mature you are at that age. I know I am at least.

As far as which car to choose, take the TL hands down. I mean do you really wanna own a RX330 when you could have owned a TL instead?
Thanks so much for the kind words. I consider myself very mature, especially next to many of my friends. I work my tail bone off at school to maintain good grades (Knocking on wood, but I have a 4.0 straight A average at the moment) and I have no mindset on car modding besides some small things. Anyways, thanks for the help!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by akplaya92

Well said.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I'd go with the TL. Not to stereotype, but I see the RX as more of a mom/female's car.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
My first car...Olds 442, blew the motor, second car, Opel GT, missed a shift, blew the motor...third car, 240Z, great car, never blew the motor, it just turned into a rust bucket. Owned a Z car for the rest of my life up until 3 weeks ago when I bought a 2008 TL, best car I have ever owned...highly recommend it.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Your a teenager and you wanna drive a soccer mom SUV ?

take the TL.....ohh yeah welcome
Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM
-Brandon

Originally Posted by swoosh
Your a teenager and you wanna drive a soccer mom SUV ?

take the TL.....ohh yeah welcome
Haha, I've got time to think, but after having a permit for 9 months, driving the TL is so fun! Even though it's an auto, you feel like you are actually driving if that makes any sense. The RX feels like driving on a cloud, but that is what some people like. Plus I love the automated manual overdrive
Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
I think for someone to truly value and appreciate a car is when they can find and buy their first car. But in your circumstance, being a good student and person your being gifted a car. Which by all means is nothing bad if you did everything to deserve it. ABP is not a bad color, look at the team colors, everyone enjoys their respected colors.TEAM Abyss I think almost everyone would say to pick the TL, look through the photography section and you will be blown away by the work that people put in. Besides the lexus is nice but your not buying your own groceries yet lol.

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 01-29-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
do the seats in the RX fold down? if so thats your answer!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:54 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^

it is true....but TL front seat offers a lot as well
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
I always thought the Abyss Blue color was kind of girly, but I guess it really isn't much better than driving in a soccer mom-Lexus. Luckily I have three months to worry about it, but thanks for all the opinions!
abyss blue is not girly. i.e. see pics in the ABP group (< linky)

ABP is a beautiful color in the sun and when it's clean, gotten many compliments on it.

That said, i didnt do research on the RX, but if it has trans problems too I guess you cant go wrong with the TL then. It's probably a little smaller and easier to manage than the RX. One thing to look out for though is the turning radius. I dont know if it's worse or better than the RX. I would not be surprised if they were close or if the TL was actually worse.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Take the auto, then sell it and get a 6MT.

I'm 17, and the TL is my first car. My mom has an RX330. I prefer the TL in every way.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
I got my TL right before I turned 18. Great car. Of course everyone around here is going to say that!

Now that I am in college, I still have no complaints. I can get 30 mpg traveling back home on the highway and still have plenty of room for all my stuff. I moved just about everything into my dorm using my TL. Minus a couch, and that's where my dads Tundra came in.

Oh and i have never driven the RX, but I have driven a GX470 many times before and the TL is much much more stable at 80 mph than the Lexus. Of course you aren't really comparing apples to apples, but depending on where you go to school and if you commute or not, you'll be much happier with the TL as a highway cruiser than just about any SUV.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
University of Tennessee

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
To me, that particular model Lexus has always seemed to me to be more of a female car...just my opinion. But as a teenager, it shouldn't matter much as it will be a hand me down. As far as safety, both cars will be safe. So it's down to your preference. You want to be a more sporty, go with the TL. You want to be a little more snooty, go with the Lexus...lol. I would personally go with the TL.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Welcome! I got it wrong.. I would have guessed that your mom drove the RX and your dad drove the TL. Who wears the pants in the family? j/k

As a first car, you're lucky to have such choices. But it comes down to your needs.

Lexus: AWD is probably not too useful down there in FL. Being in a bigger vehicle is both a plus and a minus. The plus is you're less likely to be injured in an accident. The minus is that you're a bigger hazzard on the road (sorry, you are 16 years old, after all). Depending on your cargo needs, the RX may be more flexible.

TL: Better looking IMO. Sportier and better tech for the same year. Easier to learn to drive in since it is smaller.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo_oxide
Lexus: AWD is probably not too useful down there in FL. Being in a bigger vehicle is both a plus and a minus. The plus is you're less likely to be injured in an accident. .
^^^ Yes and no. Of course bigger is always said to be safer, but in highschool my brother was the passenger of a rollover accident (he is fine thankfully, just some broken fingers). It was a 4WD F150, not lifted. And I also know of one other person from my old highschool who rolled over a CR-V. She is also fine, but suffered some sever stiffness for quite some time!

Point being, SUV's have a higher, no, MUCH higher center of gravity than the TL. So they are much easier to flip. I know it has probably happened, but I have seen many members post pictures of accidents on here and i havent seen a rollover yet. (knock on wood)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
TL broski.

No question.

Also, stay awesome.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM
-Brandon

Originally Posted by jonboy10
I got my TL right before I turned 18. Great car. Of course everyone around here is going to say that!

Now that I am in college, I still have no complaints. I can get 30 mpg traveling back home on the highway and still have plenty of room for all my stuff. I moved just about everything into my dorm using my TL. Minus a couch, and that's where my dads Tundra came in.

Oh and i have never driven the RX, but I have driven a GX470 many times before and the TL is much much more stable at 80 mph than the Lexus. Of course you aren't really comparing apples to apples, but depending on where you go to school and if you commute or not, you'll be much happier with the TL as a highway cruiser than just about any SUV.
Since I got my permit, I have done about 80% of the driving in the RX since it's a bit easier for me to see out the rear when I was first starting out. I now prefer driving the TL when we run errands, but I have yet to drive the TL on the highway. I'm hoping to get around to that soon. The RX seems like a sloth accelerating onto the highway from my past few experiences, but like I said before, it's like driving on a cloud once you get their. I guess I'll have another opinion once I take out the TL.

Originally Posted by mynameisraj
Take the auto, then sell it and get a 6MT.

I'm 17, and the TL is my first car. My mom has an RX330. I prefer the TL in every way.

Originally Posted by jonboy10
Wow! Awesome to know of other teens on the site! Glad to see I'm not alone.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-29-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
Im 18 and I just purchased my ABP tl this past October, I absolutely love it, I highly recommend it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM
-Brandon

Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6
Im 18 and I just purchased my ABP tl this past October, I absolutely love it, I highly recommend it.
Awesome! I noticed you have the lifted wing on your TL. How do you like it? I always thought it looked nicer than the lip on our ABP.
The following users liked this post:
mY sLOW UA6 (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get the Tl. the 2004 Lexus RX330 is more for a young girl. women like a lot this type of cars. Get the tl and treat it good.
Good luck and dont speed and do proper mantainance to it and youll have a car for many years.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
Awesome! I noticed you have the lifted wing on your TL. How do you like it? I always thought it looked nicer than the lip on our ABP.
To be honest I'm just the opposite, I actually like the lip better. But I ust got a roof spoiler so hopefully after I install that I will like the look better.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
Fact - TL will get you laid. Girls will comment on how comfy the back seats are. And that was in my 2nd gen. I imagine the 3rd gen will increase your chances even more.

Quick Reply: First Car!