Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Car 3rd Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Car 3rd Gen TL

Hello I知 new to the forum, as well as driving like the title states.. this may be a long post so tldr below..

I always liked how the 3rd gen tl models looked like and am looking to buy a used one in the near future. I had some questions tho regarding its needs and reliability.

First off I知 looking to spend a maximum of about12k for the vehicle.. I致e been looking around online and around my area, it seems like I can get one with anywhere between 80-120k mileage on it. Aside from the timing belt being changed at roughly 100k miles and regular maintenance/oil changes, is there any other service history I should be looking for that needed to be done?

Most importantly, if I maintain and take care of this baby the right way.. approximately how much mileage can I get on it? I知 hoping an upward of 200k.

And finally, how does this fair with a honda accord? I know this is a forum for acura but I知 sure some of you have droven the accord as well. Would a newer model of an accord and probably less mileage be a better alternative for a first timer?

Any feedback would be much appreciated for this newb.

TLDR: first timer looking to see if a 3rd gen TL is worth it with a 12k price range as opposed to a newer honda accord
Old 11-27-2017, 04:04 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,413 Posts
A few comments/questions:
  • Are you looking for a car with a manual transmission or an automatic?
  • If automatic, the 2004-2006 model years have a fairly tender transmission which need a LOT of TLC, and even then it is a matter of when, not if, before a failure occurs.
  • You do realize, the TL is just an upgraded Accord and underneath the extra goodies they are basically the same car built on the same assembly line, correct?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I'm impressed with your knowledge! for a first time driver!!!

one thing to note; cars dont automatically die at a certain mileage.
cars are mechanical. cars are machines. machines have moving mechanical parts. moving mechanical parts fail. at what mileage? one couldn't say.... my point is; you will never escape maintenance. if a part fails, it's your responsibility to repair it or replace it. and if you do this; the car will LIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that's why you can see older pristine cars on the road, because the owners take great care to replace broken parts)

Horseshoez has a great point tho...the automatic tranny found in the 3rd gen TL is weak and can fail at ANY POINT.

Last edited by justnspace; 11-27-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
  • If automatic, the 2004-2006 model years have a fairly tender transmission which need a LOT of TLC, and even then it is a matter of when, not if, before a failure occurs.
  • You do realize, the TL is just an upgraded Accord and underneath the extra goodies they are basically the same car built on the same assembly line, correct?
That can be said of many vehicles, but it's the amenities that count.
Just to name a few:
Corvette/XLR
Impala/LaCrosse
Avenger/Sebring
Camry/ES350
Edge/MKX
Tucson/Sportage
Compass/Patriot
Liberty/Nitro
Armada/QX56
Land Cruiser/LX570
Four Runner/GX470
Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you for the reply. I知 looking for an automatic and I thought the transmission issue was only till 2nd gen TL痴? Regardless, I was going to aim for getting a 07-08 make.. do those still have transmission issues? I understand the accord and tl are similar but the 3rd gen TL痴 look so slick.. accord is the 2nd and only option after the TL for me
Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
I'm impressed with your knowledge! for a first time driver!!!

one thing to note; cars dont automatically die at a certain mileage.
cars are mechanical. cars are machines. machines have moving mechanical parts. moving mechanical parts fail. at what mileage? one couldn't say.... my point is; you will never escape maintenance. if a part fails, it's your responsibility to repair it or replace it. and if you do this; the car will LIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that's why you can see older pristine cars on the road, because the owners take great care to replace broken parts)

Horseshoez has a great point tho...the automatic tranny found in the 3rd gen TL is weak and can fail at ANY POINT.
Understood. Whether I get the TL or accord, I値l do my best to keep up with its maintenance
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM

the 07-08's have an updated tranny.
but it's still in the same family, sure they beefed up some parts... but its still a honda glass tranny.
maintenance is key with this tranny.

if I had an automatic, i'd change the fluid every 30k miles and do the pressure switches often
Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Cruisin'

the 07-08's have an updated tranny.
but it's still in the same family, sure they beefed up some parts... but its still a honda glass tranny.
maintenance is key with this tranny.

if I had an automatic, i'd change the fluid every 30k miles and do the pressure switches often
So as long as I do my research and do regular maintenance, I should be alright? Even as a first timer? But if I said I want to save money instead and not do as much maintenance, the accord would be the better option I知 assuming?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,413 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwanee
So as long as I do my research and do regular maintenance, I should be alright? Even as a first timer? But if I said I want to save money instead and not do as much maintenance, the accord would be the better option I知 assuming?
If you want to save money and not do as much maintenance, then you're looking at the wrong car to buy; instead, why don't you look for a Civic 5-Speed, a Corolla 5-Speed, or some other low end car with a manual transmission; these cars you can skimp on much of the maintenance and then throw them away when they fail.

Regarding maintenance on Accords and TLs, I have both a TL and an Accord and ain't neither one of them what I would call "cheap" when it comes to maintenance. Fact of life, these are very complex machines and as they age, things fail and require replacement. Case in point, in 2012 I bought a very well maintained 2001 Accord EX V6 in extremely good condition for about $6,000, at the time the car had 114,000 miles on the clock. The Accord now has 195,000 miles on it and over the last five years and 80,000+ miles, it has cost me an additional $6,000 in maintenance (both scheduled and unscheduled) to keep it in proper operation.
teh CL (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

If you want to save money and not do as much maintenance, then you're looking at the wrong car to buy; instead, why don't you look for a Civic 5-Speed, a Corolla 5-Speed, or some other low end car with a manual transmission; these cars you can skimp on much of the maintenance and then throw them away when they fail.

Regarding maintenance on Accords and TLs, I have both a TL and an Accord and ain't neither one of them what I would call "cheap" when it comes to maintenance. Fact of life, these are very complex machines and as they age, things fail and require replacement. Case in point, in 2012 I bought a very well maintained 2001 Accord EX V6 in extremely good condition for about $6,000, at the time the car had 114,000 miles on the clock. The Accord now has 195,000 miles on it and over the last five years and 80,000+ miles, it has cost me an additional $6,000 in maintenance (both scheduled and unscheduled) to keep it in proper operation.
I see.. The maintenance cost for a span of 5 years for 80+k isn稚 as much as I initially thought.

Two questions tho.. maintenance and replacing parts would be a tad bit more expensive for newer models correct? And 2.. why manual?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM

manual because it's more fun and cheaper to replace the clutch on an economy car than to replace transmission.

corolla clutch - few hundred dollars.
corolla auto transmission - few THOUSANDS of dollars

this happened to me.
I had bought my first car, a 1989 Mazda mx-6 with an auto tranny for $1500...
not even six months later, auto tranny started to slip.
a new transmission/rebuilt transmission would cost $2000-3000.
I let the car go and bought manual transmissions EVER since.

Last edited by justnspace; 11-27-2017 at 10:12 AM.
horseshoez (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

manual because it's more fun and cheaper to replace the clutch on an economy car than to replace transmission.

corolla clutch - few hundred dollars.
corolla auto transmission - few THOUSANDS of dollars

this happened to me.
I had bought my first car, a 1989 Mazda mx-6 with an auto tranny for $1500...
not even six months later, auto tranny started to slip.
a new transmission/rebuilt transmission would cost $2000-3000.
I let the car go and bought manual transmissions EVER since.
Damn lol I値l consider manuals, thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
you can learn how to drive Manuel in one day.
Don't be afraid...and if you're a car enthusiast I would suggest that route.

If you just need day to day transportation that won't give you shit...I'd go buy a 2 year old elantra and call it a day.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
My 07 has 254,300 miles and has been very reliable. I do the transmission fluid 1 x 3 every couple of oil changes. I have not had to do any of the pressure switches. I do most of my own repairs which saves a significant amount of money vs the dealer cost. In the past year or two I have only had to replace the radiator (about $200) and other routine stuff like pads/rotors.
This site is awesome for doing basic work on your car....there is a thread with pictures and step by step, or maybe even a video somewhere about how to do most any routine work.
Best car that I have ever owned.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwanee
Hello I知 new to the forum, as well as driving like the title states.. this may be a long post so tldr below..

I always liked how the 3rd gen tl models looked like and am looking to buy a used one in the near future. I had some questions tho regarding its needs and reliability.

First off I知 looking to spend a maximum of about12k for the vehicle.. I致e been looking around online and around my area, it seems like I can get one with anywhere between 80-120k mileage on it. Aside from the timing belt being changed at roughly 100k miles and regular maintenance/oil changes, is there any other service history I should be looking for that needed to be done?

Most importantly, if I maintain and take care of this baby the right way.. approximately how much mileage can I get on it? I知 hoping an upward of 200k.

And finally, how does this fair with a honda accord? I know this is a forum for acura but I知 sure some of you have droven the accord as well. Would a newer model of an accord and probably less mileage be a better alternative for a first timer?

Any feedback would be much appreciated for this newb.

TLDR: first timer looking to see if a 3rd gen TL is worth it with a 12k price range as opposed to a newer honda accord
With proper maintenance you should see 200k no problem. Plenty of TLs on this site with that kind of mileage. If you're looking to spend upwards of 12k and are looking for longevity and low maintenance, I would suggest a newer, lower mileage, 4cyl Accord. The TL is nice, but the newest of the 3rd gens are approaching 10years of age and with that will come additional costs as things wear out. Just plan for it.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Welcome to the site!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
I've had my TL almost 2.5 years and 25,000 miles and I have encountered very few problems. I would say it has been maybe 20-25% more to maintain than my 2000 accord was. A few problems that would cost a lot to fix but I am not going to, because they are costmetic/luxury related and I choose to enjoy the remainder of the car at such a reasonable price. This is sort of my daily beater car though, as I spend all my money on my other cars.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by b15
With proper maintenance you should see 200k no problem. Plenty of TLs on this site with that kind of mileage. If you're looking to spend upwards of 12k and are looking for longevity and low maintenance, I would suggest a newer, lower mileage, 4cyl Accord. The TL is nice, but the newest of the 3rd gens are approaching 10years of age and with that will come additional costs as things wear out. Just plan for it.
Yeah that痴 why I知 hesitant with getting the TL and put out accord as an option since that would be my 2nd choice.. guess I値l just have to make a decision haha
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by quantum7
My 07 has 254,300 miles and has been very reliable. I do the transmission fluid 1 x 3 every couple of oil changes. I have not had to do any of the pressure switches. I do most of my own repairs which saves a significant amount of money vs the dealer cost. In the past year or two I have only had to replace the radiator (about $200) and other routine stuff like pads/rotors.
This site is awesome for doing basic work on your car....there is a thread with pictures and step by step, or maybe even a video somewhere about how to do most any routine work.
Best car that I have ever owned.
Thank you for your input on the 07 model! Regardless of which car I get I値l definitely do more research on how to repair and whatnot on here
Old 11-28-2017, 12:03 PM

p.s. Love your attitude!
you're going far places, Kwanee!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

p.s. Love your attitude!
you're going far places, Kwanee!
Haha thanks!! To you guys
Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
OP.. 3rd gen TL is a good car. Some common issues. I wouldn't say the transmission is poor / glass.
It's not as robust as other platforms, but if it's been serviced and treated properly, it should survive the life of the car.
I would go with a 3G TL over a new platform just for the fact that it doesn't have VCM.
I wouldn't pay 12k for a 3G TL though. I paid 12k for my 3G TL back in 08.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Majofo paid $12K for a TL in 2007 that didn't come out until 2008.
True story.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Majofo
OP.. 3rd gen TL is a good car. Some common issues. I wouldn't say the transmission is poor / glass.
It's not as robust as other platforms, but if it's been serviced and treated properly, it should survive the life of the car.
I would go with a 3G TL over a new platform just for the fact that it doesn't have VCM.
I wouldn't pay 12k for a 3G TL though. I paid 12k for my 3G TL back in 08.
Wth... how? Llol I mean I was just stating the price right now but I知 sure I can lower it by a decent amount especially if I tell em I知 buying upfront