Sponsored by:

FINALLY!! the fake lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FINALLY!! the fake lip spoiler

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50452

ive been waiting for this fake one ever since i got my car, (6 months) and its finally here... i personally just couldnt spend $300 on a small piece of plastic, but now that the fake ones are out, i think i might buy it.

its made out of so called reinforced fiberglass, which i dont think its the same as the real one(correct me if im wrong)and it doesnt include the springs and all that i assume. you dont have to drill it, i guess you just have to use really good tape.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
so.... you'll spend $35,000 on a car, and go as cheap as you can on a spoiler which will probably fall off after 6 months?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Team NightHawk VP

i spent 35000 on a car but it was worth it, the spoiler was probably like a dollar a piece in china(not bashing on china because im chinese too). so i dont think its worth 300 dollars, just my opinion, i have no idea why they would price the spoiler the same price as front and rear lips...makes no sense?? maybe im missing something here but i just dont get it.

and someone bid on it on this forum(i think), so i know for sure that im not the only one that thinks the lip spoiler isnt worth 300 dollars.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
i guess NBP owners are cheap

Old 09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Safety Car

hey if get whatever floats your boat. i have never had good experiences with aftermarket products like the spoiler on ebay. they almost always have fittment issues and are made of some pretty poor quality material. since this one does not need to be drilled i would imagine it flying off after some weather.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559

thats cause we spend all the money on car care products to make it shine better than the SSMs lol
Old 09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by caball88
hey if get whatever floats your boat. i have never had good experiences with aftermarket products like the spoiler on ebay. they almost always have fittment issues and are made of some pretty poor quality material. since this one does not need to be drilled i would imagine it flying off after some weather.

there was a guy on this forum that bought the wing spoiler off ebay he said it fit great...ill see if i can find that thread...

found it.. http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...150#post855150
Old 09-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Acura Sales Manager

hey y'all, I'll let you know about fitment/quality etc. as soon as I receive it. I've had good luck with aftermarket spoilers on my other cars, guess I'm one of those cheap guys! I figured the OEM spoiler is attached with doublesided tape as well as two screws, It's so light who needs the heavy duty trunk springs.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cliff
there was a guy on this forum that bought the wing spoiler off ebay he said it fit great...ill see if i can find that thread...

found it.. http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...150#post855150
hey i'm not bashing the spoiler just generalizing my experiences with aftermarket spoilers. i hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Miss my 89 Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the saying goes you get what you pay for.. I wouldn't buy it.. it will probably pell off in a year and ruin the paint... too bad
Old 09-20-2004, 09:09 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sellnAcura, keep us posted. All the best.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Racer

[url] i personally just couldnt spend $300 on a small piece of plastic

$300 for the Lip Spoiler???? That's an OUTRAGE!!!!

Mine cost me $458 intstalled...lol
Old 09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Good luck with it. Sounds like it better painted than the car! Do they do bumbers! Fact is a lot of non-oem stuff is better and less expensive than oem. No absurd mark up!

Didn't car & driver do a test to show the more you pay for the lip spoiler the quicker the car and the better gas mileage you get.

Wait- I can here it now, well Cliff we can't cover your tranmission failure because you have a non-oem trunk lip spoiler which unduly loaded the tail end of the car.. You see the factory spoiler is loaded only with 15% glass fill and our analysis shows this one has 17% so it was not able to deflect sufficiently to unload the tail end of the car at 65MPH.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:35 PM
2005 WDP TL

You get what you pay for......
Old 09-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559

Nope, not all of us! OEM lip spoiler for me!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
Sorry, but I have to dissagree with you naysayers. There is no reason that piece should be junk just because it's $169. There really isn't much to that piece to screw up. The adhesives today are exceptionally good (body side molding of most cars from the factories have been held on that way for years). Not much to shooting them with paint, either.

I suspect the quality will be fine, and I think it looks nice. BTW, I don't see why it should be called "fake". It's not like the factory one is going to perform any better than this one.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Team NightHawk VP

jj, your right, i agree with you, and the spoiler is so light at i doubt it will fall off with some good doublde sided tape.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Acura Sales Manager

The Body side moldings for the TL and MDX are held in place with 3M double sided tape. One you stick 'em on, they are a B*tch to remove. The OEM TL deck lid spoiler attaches with 2 bolts and the same 3M double sided tape.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by sellnACURA
The Body side moldings for the TL and MDX are held in place with 3M double sided tape. One you stick 'em on, they are a B*tch to remove. The OEM TL deck lid spoiler attaches with 2 bolts and the same 3M double sided tape.
sellnacura, did u get the spoiler? you were the one that won it right? was he good to deal with? he answered all my emails within 2 hrs...just wanted to know if he was fast in the transaction...thanx

Cliff
Old 09-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Acura Sales Manager

Yeah, I'm the cheap guy who ordered the "Fake" deck spoiler. The emails were answered right away. Haven't received the spoiler yet. I will get some good pics of it, before and after installation.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:26 AM
Intermediate

I wouldn't take a chance on a unknown cheap part like that on a 35k car either. That's crazy.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Welcome to America where people pay $25 dollars for a 10 cent part saying wow I'm so glad is was on sale!

Does Acura have a P/N for the the tire air pressure caps. Because you know if it not OEM it's crap.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Acurazine Addict

Then I would imagine I'd be getting a whole lot from that little piece of fiberglass which in reality should cost no more that $5.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

I've got a Fake Rear Wing Spoiler, so far its been 4 months and it still holding up. But its kinda heavy.. The trunk would barely pop up using key FOB

PS: I have NBP
Old 09-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Team NightHawk VP

i think these spoilers are just fine, im sure they hold up like theyre suppose to. the little piece of fiberglass isnt gunna rip off because its so light as it is. the bsm holds up for years, probably longer than your cars life as jj said before. i think its kinda stupid to spend 300 on a piece of plastic/fiberglass.

i have a ML320 and the calytic converter was bad and they wanted 2200 for a god dam cc with like the piping and stuff. but i did it anyway and i realized that the hi flow cats would have done the job for probably <500.
i have learned my lesson of paying full price for oem when aftermarket would have just done the job.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:55 PM
Acurazine Addict

i think its kinda stupid to spend 300 on a piece of plastic/fiberglass.
I think it's kinda stupid even spending $160 on this fake one, but it's better than spending $300 for the real one.

i have a ML320 and the calytic converter was bad and they wanted 2200 for a god dam cc with like the piping and stuff. but i did it anyway and i realized that the hi flow cats would have done the job for probably <500.
i have learned my lesson of paying full price for oem when aftermarket would have just done the job.
Woah...

BTW any updates on this yet?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thats mercedes for you, i had a 2000 Ml320 for 2 weeks but im glad i didn't stick w/ that and bought the TL = ) and i agree w/ the first poster, that lil lip is overpriced! whoever won that from ebay tell us about the quality of the product and if possible any diffrence w/ oem? thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used to have a 2000 Monte Carlo before I got my TL. I took off all of the cursive Monte Carlo badging and replaced it with black, I had a red car. It was a bit of a pain to take off, but with some care they came right off. I use that stuff to get tar and dead bugs off to remove the excess tape. It was no problem whatsoever. I did the same with my spoiler on the Monte, the spoiler was a pain to get off, but it came off. In that case I didn't need to remove the tape because I was putting something back on top of it. I have a lease and I'm considering that deck lid spoiler. I'm deathly afraid to do anything to a lease though.

Joe
Old 09-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Thats mercedes for you, i had a 2000 Ml320 for 2 weeks but im glad i didn't stick w/ that and bought the TL = ) and i agree w/ the first poster, that lil lip is overpriced! whoever won that from ebay tell us about the quality of the product and if possible any diffrence w/ oem? thanks
still waiting on sellnacura for pics, if its good, im gunna hop on it right away, im sure it cant be that bad. the seller sells spoilers for a living lol
Old 09-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You Don't Always Get What You Pay For...

I placed an after market spoiler on my 2003 TL (I now have a 2004 TL)... The aftermarket spoiler I purchased came from ebay and was only $159 painted; the paint was spot on, the kit to install was impressive and it was a great deal.

There are times when you should pay full pop for an item (plastic sugery or dental work for expample) and there are times you can save lots of money not falling for all the hype (A 1 inch lip spoiler that cost $20 to produce or bulk toilet paper from Costco)

Dont' belive the hype,

Michael
Old 09-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Racer

sellnacura, keep us updated on your purchase and install (pics too). i'm gonna jump on it too if all's good. thanks for being the guinea pig.

it ain't "fake". it's just not oem. for all we know, they might be the supplier for acura. yeah, i love the lip spoiler, but couldn't get myself to cough up $500 for it installed. so what if the car's $35k?! i wouldn't have done it on a $60k car either. i bought a half million dollar house and i still shop at costco and target, for christ's sake!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Instructor

I have fake 19" rims on my TL. I still feel awful about it. I expect they will shatter within the year. My fake LEDs also keep exploding. When my fake springs eject my car into an overhead bridge that may be the last straw before I go strictly OEM.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Acura Sales Manager

OK folks, got the email from the supplier that the spoiler was painted and shipped. It is scheduled to arrive at my place Oct. 4th. I will then post pics of it before and after install. I was wondering how to post the pics. It says that I cannot post pictures. Do you have to be special to post? A lil help guys...
Old 09-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by BigBluu
sellnacura, keep us updated on your purchase and install (pics too). i'm gonna jump on it too if all's good. thanks for being the guinea pig.

it ain't "fake". it's just not oem. for all we know, they might be the supplier for acura. yeah, i love the lip spoiler, but couldn't get myself to cough up $500 for it installed. so what if the car's $35k?! i wouldn't have done it on a $60k car either. i bought a half million dollar house and i still shop at costco and target, for christ's sake!
haha, thats a awsome comparison lol
Old 09-29-2004, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 10-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Acura Sales Manager

Ok guys and gals, the moment you've been waiting for has arrived! The "fake" lip spoiler is home! First off it was packed in a humongous box, with enough bubble wrap to cushion a 5 MPH impact! The verdict! The spoiler looks, and feels like the OEM. The size, fitment, weight, everything top notch! The spoiler came painted White Diamond Pearl, possibly the hardest color to match. It was a direct paint match! It installs in less than 3 minutes, by 3m super sticky industrial strength double stick tape. The same tape Acura uses on the OEM. Only differance, Acura uses 2 screws in addition to the tape for it's install. The spoiler is so light weight, you don't need the heavy duty trunk springs. For all the nay sayers, this spoiler it not gonna fall off. IT"S ON THERE! You would need to pry it off. I have pics, but I guess I'm not worthy enough to posts em. Please someone let me know the secret to posting. Over all, the spoiler is worth the money, it's not a cheap piece.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by sellnACURA
Ok guys and gals, the moment you've been waiting for has arrived! The "fake" lip spoiler is home! First off it was packed in a humongous box, with enough bubble wrap to cushion a 5 MPH impact! The verdict! The spoiler looks, and feels like the OEM. The size, fitment, weight, everything top notch! The spoiler came painted White Diamond Pearl, possibly the hardest color to match. It was a direct paint match! It installs in less than 3 minutes, by 3m super sticky industrial strength double stick tape. The same tape Acura uses on the OEM. Only differance, Acura uses 2 screws in addition to the tape for it's install. The spoiler is so light weight, you don't need the heavy duty trunk springs. For all the nay sayers, this spoiler it not gonna fall off. IT"S ON THERE! You would need to pry it off. I have pics, but I guess I'm not worthy enough to posts em. Please someone let me know the secret to posting. Over all, the spoiler is worth the money, it's not a cheap piece.
Awesome dude! Thanks for the review. Will be ordering mine asap.

BTW how come you couldn't get a decent deal on an OEM spoiler from your dealership being that you are the sales manager? Or let me guess, Acura even rips off its' own employees.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:36 AM
Acura Sales Manager

Actually the cost of the spoiler is a lot more than the replica. Yes I could have gotten it for internal cost, but still way more than this one. I do believe in using genuine factory parts for maintance, like filters, brake pads, fluids, etc. Those parts are more superior in my opinion. But I figured for a lil strip of plastic/fiberglass would be ok. I will be getting the factory underbody kit though!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro

Thanks for the info. I don't see paying 300 bucks for an oem deck lid. I shall be ordering mines "fake" one as well. I don't think that most would be able to tell from the OEM and the FAKE lids once they are on.

sellnACURA, can you give us info on the person you purchased it from and maybe we can do a group buy?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Where can we order it from? Can you give us the phone number or website? Thanks.

Quick Reply: FINALLY!! the fake lip spoiler