Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastest you've gone in your 3G TL or TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
aTLien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fastest you've gone in your 3G TL or TL-S

Just wondering how fast you guys have gone, fastest ive gone was 120. i dont think my heart has every beated so fast, and my palms were sweaty as hell. i want to push it more, one day
Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jumbosizeme79
Just wondering how fast you guys have gone, fastest ive gone was 120. i dont think my heart has every beated so fast, and my palms were sweaty as hell. i want to push it more, one day
Ive done 140 at 4am on an empty highway. I hardly ever go over 80 on a regular basis tho.....just asking for trouble.
BTW....Put on your flame retardant suit!!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
143 mph in my 00TL, wasn't much fun with warped rotors, lol....

in the 08TLS, only 110mph, I only have 2K miles on it, got to wait until at least 5K. But this car is a beast!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
143 mph in my 00TL, wasn't much fun with warped rotors, lol....

in the 08TLS, only 110mph, I only have 2K miles on it, got to wait until at least 5K. But this car is a beast!
U dont have to wait till 5k. Your motor is already broken in from the factory.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
Ive done 140 at 4am on an empty highway. I hardly ever go over 80 on a regular basis tho.....just asking for trouble.
BTW....Put on your flame retardant suit!!
alittle over 140
Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
140 with the 08 tls. had a huge fight with the ex and just needed to drive..i was actually only going like 60 the entire way and then on my way back a corvette pulled up next to me and wanted to race so i said what the hell..why not?! haha.

i regret doing it especially since im not an expert driver and it wasnt a race track or anything but i havent gone over 90 since. ive def learned from my mistake.

btw i did beat the mid-90s corvette 3 out of 4 rolling starts
Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM
TYPE-S CBP MT

a little over 140 around 3 in the mornign on the Van Wyck... a 5 series pulled up to me and i put a beatin on him..... we both got off the same exit, and he stopped to ask about the car...
LyfeIs what you make it!

I’ve done about 100mph in the TL. That was on a holiday and I was in a rush. With the crazy drivers down here, you'd be pushing your luck doing over 80. There’s always an accident down here.

I did do 120 in my Nissan with 3 ppl and a bunch of stuff in the back when I was driving from NY to TX. There are some straight ass roads in those farm states.

140+ is just fkn crazy IMO.
71Q

I dont feel comfortable doing top speed runs in the TL somehow. Maybe because its soft and smooth, and bone stock. Ive had it to 120ish on private roads, i dont need the tickets.

My other car is a different story, i think im used to little sidewall deflection and stiff suspension, and thats why it is more confidence inspiring. Quite a few people with supras do the 200+mph thing, i just cant bring myself to trust off the shelf tires that much.

I was astonished however, the TL has WAY more in it than 120, i think the ECU just gives it the shutdown somewhere around there, because mine slowed on the pulling. It was surprisingly docile at 100+ however, I definetly enjoy expressway driving in the TL a good deal!
Pro

147 and hit fuel cut...
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Race Director

U dont have to wait till 5k. Your motor is already broken in from the factory.
Wrong.... the moment I will do my 1st oil change, I will unleash, in the mean time, the factory 'break-in' oil is designed to cure the engine only, it's not ready for abuse yet.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Old 01-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Pro

Wrong.... the moment I will do my 1st oil change, I will unleash, in the mean time, the factory 'break-in' oil is designed to cure the engine only, it's not ready for abuse yet.
Actually i work for honda/acura and i went to marysville with a few co-workers. The engine is run out of the car at different loads and the oil is changed.
The old days u had to break in cars........not anymore with todays manufacturing technology.
We can agree to disagree if u want tho!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by illstrategy
a little over 140 around 3 in the mornign on the Van Wyck... a 5 series pulled up to me and i put a beatin on him..... we both got off the same exit, and he stopped to ask about the car...
Thats exactly where i did my 140 blast! Coming back from the city racing my boy in his Q45.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Race Director

140 at the Van Wyck? It's nothing but construction and pot holes, brave souls!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
71Q

Im not saying you should not "break in" under circumstances you like, however, im not sure i can agree with this. I assure you, i am being entirely topical here, and i am not trying to argue, however, many major engine builders reccomend getting a proper tune and dynoing a car/motor after ONLY ONE full temperature cycle. I cant understand what could "cure" within an engine, not to mention, there are no metal shavings or anything short that could compromise a new engine. If there is assembly error, it will go wrong regardless of break in. You are aware the rings were seated LONG before you even saw the car you purchased! Many companies reccomend long break in periods, and those periods outlive the "assembly warranty" that they offer. I assure you, its hogwash.

So far, the healthiest motor ive seen in a supra, was "broken in" on a dyno 20 mins after they allowed the car to heat cycle, and a short cruise with a good tune. The car makes excellent power, compression numbers are virtually perfect 20k miles later, and there is nothing more than a "regular" amount of blowby, i wouldnt call it anything extraordinary.

Again, im not trying to argue, or make anyone change the ways they feel comfortable with, however, i dont believe this is anything but a damage control tactic. It seems as though this limits the amount of potential damage done if there is a problem with new parts. I cant speak for OEM's etc.. however, i havent ever seen a car that has been declined warranty repair early in vehicle life due to a lack of following "break in" rules. In fact, the only thing ive seen declined ever have been wear items, AND items that were abused, both of which i understand full well.
Again, i mean no disrespect in this, but if i have been misinformed by some of the biggest/best engine building companies in the world, please let me know!

Take care
Mark
Old 01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=fast+TL
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
71Q

Actually i work for honda/acura and i went to marysville with a few co-workers. The engine is run out of the car at different loads and the oil is changed.
The old days u had to break in cars........not anymore with todays manufacturing technology.
We can agree to disagree if u want tho!
I was going to say, the only detriment to the motor would be assembly lubricants... Many of which are not condusive to oiling systems.
If honda/acura does as you say, which i am not doubting in the least, then all the assembly lubricants would be eliminated, and all is well. If they are run whatsoever, the rings are seated LONG before the cars make it to a lot!

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha, 95 or 100 for me when I was pretty pissed off passing someone on the highway. I make it a rule not to drive this fast though as it's pretty darn dangerous and pointless in most cases. Not to mention the bonus of paying a HUGE fine and/or suspended drivers license, auto insurance premium increases, etc.

That said, when I was younger and stupid (er... more stupid) I had my old Vette up to 135 or 140 while f*cking with some guy in a Dodge Viper of all cars at 1 AM on the highway -- this on my first date with a girl from a class I had just asked out.

Long story short, I was taking her home via the Interstate when I saw the tail lights of a car in the distance also on the highway. Approached it, I couldn't make out what the hell it was. When we got about 8 car lengths away from it, the rear-end of a Dodge Viper began to take form. I was thinking this was pretty cool since I haven't seen one of these before no less on the road in the flesh. So what did I do? Pulled up next to him doing about 85 MPH and revved my engine a few times while looking over at the guy!

He responded with a few revs, then down-shifted and took off like a bat out of hell. I still remember seeing the whole car literally raise up a little bit when he gunned it. Anyway, I gave chase. The whole thing couldn't have lasted more than 1 or 2 minutes before he spanked me and I we called it quits.

The funny thing about the whole experience is we took off, I got ahead, then he got ahead, then I, then he, etc., at about 140 MPH on my speedo, I called it quits. Driving that fast will not only make the stripes on the highway go solid, it will make your heart beat equally fast as jumbosizeme79 pointed out.

I coasted down about 110 or so (which I remember seeming slow) as did my worthy adversary until we were more or less neck-and-neck. I dunno why, but I hit it again accelerating ahead of him again approaching 140 on the speedo when the only smart part of my brain still functioning amidst the flood of adrenaline and testosterone said, "ENOUGH YOU MORON" and I slowed back down to sane speeds as the Viper literally flew away from us.

140 MPH is like 205 feet per second. What's the average response time for a sober adult? 2-3 secs? In that time to react to something coming out of the darkness of the 1 AM sky, I would have covered 400-600 feet! Too scary. Man, I did some stupid shit in the past.

Sorry to hijack your thread reminicising.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Van Wyck below the Grand Central is smooth, but it's too short to be running 140mph.
I just pass 3 digits this weekend, 100mph, would have done more, but the wife was in the car and it was on the NJT; They will take away your car if you drive too fast.
When I was younger, no fear, 120 in my Maxima on the Belt.
No idea how i did this, must of been downhill, 110 in a civic on rte 80 (yes a stock civic)
Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
maybe 100mph, but i used to ride FAST motorcycles, so going fast in a car is just not really going fast....fastest i have been on a bike was about 160 give or take a mph or two...and trust me, there is a big difference between going fast in a car and going fast on a bike...not to mention the rate at which you get there vrs a car....
Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Race Director

I don't mess with the nj turnpike, those Nazi troopers are no joke, they come out with a plunger in hand, ready for you.

I gun in at night, on the gowanas, southern state pkwy....emm, def. not belt, besides worrying about cops, you have worry about cracking your rim, or some jackass in a 1990 oldsmobile cutting you off in the left lane. lol.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im scared to go fast these days for some reason, so only 95 or so driving from arizona to norcal.

But when i was in college, driving on the i10 from tucson to phoenix, took the 00 v6 accord to 125 and took a pic of it too lol. Boy was that stupid
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Team NBP

i'm with vinnier6... i don't go fast much on 4 wheels anymore. maybe 90 or so. triple digits are saved for when i'm on two wheels (on a track and not on public roads of course)
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr04
i'm with vinnier6... i don't go fast much on 4 wheels anymore. maybe 90 or so. triple digits are saved for when i'm on two wheels (on a track and not on public roads of course)
thank god for sears point.....when i used to live in san fran...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
135 MPH on straight country road with good visability.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Acuras Only in

About 100 .. nothing major .. just forgot to take my right foot off a bit ...
Old 01-29-2008, 05:08 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't mess with the nj turnpike, those Nazi troopers are no joke, they come out with a plunger in hand, ready for you.

I gun in at night, on the gowanas, southern state pkwy....emm, def. not belt, besides worrying about cops, you have worry about cracking your rim, or some jackass in a 1990 oldsmobile cutting you off in the left lane. lol.
LOL, so true, they'll even get you for driving in the left lane.

The Gowanus is too freakn dangerous lately, too many non-drivers scared of the barricades.
The belt isn't so bad, it use to be bad when I was younger, before they had asphalt (so many potholes)
And yes the number of non-drivers in NYC is unbelievable, half the people don't deserve a license.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
65, OF COURSE
Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny I was just thinking about this question, me and my boy were talking and we were discussing the top speed of my car and he had asked me what the top speed was and I told him the fastest I ever had my car was just a hair pass 140 but I almost crapped my pants while doing it. It was on rte 15 going towards harrisburg from md. Totally straight road and I was the only one driving east bound for the last 30 min or so plus the highway had guardrails on bothsides of the road so I decided to go ahead and see what I could push her to. I cracked the vtec in 5th and I looked down I was going about 140ish just a hair pass it, in 5th at about 5800 rpms and I said this cant be good and I let off. I always wonder what the fuel cutoff is I should of just shifted to 6th to see what I could of got. Too scared to ever try it again.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With the condition of my stock EL42s (32K mi. on them) you won't be seeing me going over 70 at all and I won't be going over 10mph on backroads either, I've had my backend kick out on me and I had to correct my car which was at a 90 degree angle in between oncoming traffic and a car parked on the side, and I was only going 12mph over, hell even the Jeep Grand Cherokee behind me was surprised I broke lose.

Until I change these tires I'm going slow, lol. Not going to hurt the TL.

But I've been fast and with the upgraded springs it feels alot more comfortable I think.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by korrupted
LOL, so true, they'll even get you for driving in the left lane.

The Gowanus is too freakn dangerous lately, too many non-drivers scared of the barricades.
The belt isn't so bad, it use to be bad when I was younger, before they had asphalt (so many potholes)
And yes the number of non-drivers in NYC is unbelievable, half the people don't deserve a license.

90% of drivers with NY plates from what I've seen drive VERY well. But on some of the narrow bridges towards Astoria Queens, is that Triboro? Where they are fixing the bridge and it splits...Well anyway a lot of non-NY drivers always take up two lanes and it gets me annoyed, many non NY drivers cant drive through tight spaces.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

140 on the NYS Thruway

...on my way to court for a speeding ticket LMAO

AND i got pulled over for it! thank GOD he only clocked me at 87mph! i got out of it cuz i'm a smooth talker i woulda been in jail definitely
Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Bello

about 120 after i get my cold air intake i plane to take it over!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

85 yesterday. some guy in an s4 was tailgating me on the 695 just before the throgs neck. I down shifted to 5th pull away from him. Right after that I see someone else tailgating the sh*t out of me, only he was in a charger with a spot light and flashing lights. Just my luck. No speeding ticket though cause I had an 07 PBA card. He gave me a seat belt ticket instead and told me to be careful... $90, but hey, atleast no points...
Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by backofmyac
85 yesterday. some guy in an s4 was tailgating me on the 695 just before the throgs neck. I down shifted to 5th pull away from him. Right after that I see someone else tailgating the sh*t out of me, only he was in a charger with a spot light and flashing lights. Just my luck. No speeding ticket though cause I had an 07 PBA card. He gave me a seat belt ticket instead and told me to be careful... $90, but hey, atleast no points...

whats a PBA card? and where can i get one of these magic "get out of a ticket" pass?

and i got my baby up to about 135mph or so before i saw a few curves in the road, approaching very quickly, and took my foot off the gas. very fun, very scary, but the car still felt very stable. before this i got up to the limiter in my 95 monte carlo Z34, which was 118mph. also fun, also scary, but very unstable.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
still only hit 130 in the tl-s but my cl I pinned at 140+.............
Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
aTLien

ey speaking of fuel cuts, is there anyway to disengage the fuel cut?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
aTLien

also surprisingly the car drives real smooth at that speed. i did a 100 a couple times with my friends on local roads, and i wouldnt even be thinking im doing 100 until i look down.. but yea real smooth ride
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

PBA = Patrolmen's Benevolent Association card. A "get out of ticket" pass is exactly what it is... most of the time. A buddy of mine is a cop and basically the card just has the officer's badge number and lets other cops know that you know a cop. Cops usually honor the card because they wouldn't want their own friends and family to get a ticket if they presented the card.

Quick Reply: Fastest you've gone in your 3G TL or TL-S