Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory error - Wood-grain & carbon-fiber *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory error - Wood-grain & carbon-fiber *pics*

After three months of waiting, I finally took delivery of my '05 TL this week. I didn't notice it during my delivery inspection, but instead of simulated wood-grain in the center console, I've got simulated carbon-fiber. Other pictures I've seen on the site all have wood-grain on the doors and center console with camel or parchment interiors. I did a search and haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Am I the first?

I've already contacted the dealer to look at it next week. I also don't have any heat on the driver's side. I searched and found someone has experienced lack of heat on the driver's due to a bad cable in the heater box which was fixed easily. Hopefully mine will be an easy fix. I'd hate for them to start digging into the dash to fix it.

After 4 days & 300 miles, I'm thoroughly enjoying the TL.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

kinda matches the center console since its all dark colors.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:45 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
You are definitely the 1st with PLIBER!!!

Reminds me of someone I once knew who got a new Plymouth Volare back in 1977. It came with the trunk lid & insignia of the Dodge equivalent, the Aspen. He called it a Vopen. Here, you have Plood and Carbon Fiber Mixed....hence the new name ...
PLIBER

Remember folks, you heard the name coined here first !!
Old 01-15-2005, 10:57 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wow, that's a pretty incredible mistake. Your car is one of a kind! The question is, which one do you want them to replace?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Even though the error, car still looks real good!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:15 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Boy, looks like a few somebodies had a group brain fart! Where is quality control, HELLO.

But it does look nice. Go with the faux carbon fiber.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Instructor

I see you got a valentine 1, niiiiceeee.......
Old 01-15-2005, 11:31 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
... I must be blind
Old 01-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 641 Likes on 283 Posts
umm...where is the Carbon Fibre?

looks like you have wood in the doors, and Aluminum on the center console
Old 01-15-2005, 11:35 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Astroboy

The two little compartments below the radio are carbon fiber.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:43 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
The two little compartments below the radio are carbon fiber.
and around shifter.

Amazing how they can do this mistake? Does QA sleeping or they do not have one? Very serious mistake I'd say. Anybody got 6MT shifter on their 5AT?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:18 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by JoganJani
and around shifter.

Amazing how they can do this mistake? Does QA sleeping or they do not have one? Very serious mistake I'd say. Anybody got 6MT shifter on their 5AT?
I'd rather get Brembo brakes on my 5AT by mistake over the 6MT shifter knob. :P
Old 01-16-2005, 09:14 AM
VTEC HoooA

Maybe they were running low on Plood!?

I am amazed the dealer didn't catch this during the inspection THEY perform on the car when it is delivered to them.....err wait I am not surprised.

So the car was assembled (nobody noticed anything unusual)
The car was inspected by QA (again nobody noticed anythung unusual)
The car passed the dealer inspection (still nobody noticed anything unusual)

All I can say is WOW!!

Some people wonder why Acura is not considered to be on the same level as Lexus....ahh this is one clear example.

Acura QA = <--- sure would be nice to get the smilies fixed
Old 01-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
... I must be blind
Originally Posted by Astroboy

n00bs!!!!!

the simulated carbon fiber is those black doors in the center console, on black and gray interior the doorpanels have simulated CF as well (where the wood is in this picture cause of the light interior).... his interior should have simulated wood in the circled area and the shift gate

Old 01-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Keep it that way! It looks great! I always found the woodgrain in the centre console to be a little tacky looking, but it's nice on the doors. I would have ordered mine that way if I could have... (also would have gotten parchment if I could have with my AT/NAVI)
Old 01-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Team Nighthawk Engineer

That is just unbelievable!! That is definately one for the books. I would let Acura know asap. Makes you wonder if anyone is looking at these cars before they go out... I just hope they haven't forgotten to check anything else on our cars.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Racer

Well just be happy they messed up in the middle. It would've been really bad if they put the put wood trim on one door and carbon fiber on the other door.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:57 PM
"HMS Ruby"

Great color combination! For the record, I like the black too. Makes your TL a bit more unique!
Old 01-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I too like it.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it a lot like that.... looks different and good
Old 01-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KEEP IT!! I think it looks great!! The wood on the doors is enough, and the carbon fiber looks great on the dash...matches the rest of the dash. You have a good mistake.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada

I like it better this way.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I would ask for new set of fake wood pannels and just keep them.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Team Anthracite Member

don't risk damage by having them change out center. if anything, change out the door pieces - much easier to do I imagine and less damage prone. Or keep the unique look you have.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i lik it..... and red 2, very unique!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

just curious...whats the wire coming from by the passanger foot to the cig ligther adapter?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

looks great the way it is. What do you think the chances are of not damaging the aluminum trim when they rip it out? I'd leave it.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

i agree... agian... it looks good...but as far as any damage.... if they do damage something they will replace it....
Old 01-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Advanced

OH MY GOD. This is what happens when you try to get quality control in Ohio I guess. The TL being built in the US was a negative as I considered choices in this category of cars.

And like one of you guys said, Acura is just NOT in the same league as Lexus. I bet there's Lexus product guys with the picture you posted, yet probably nobody at Acura!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:35 PM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by Lore
I'd rather get Brembo brakes on my 5AT by mistake over the 6MT shifter knob. :P
I'd rather get a SH-AWD on my TL by mistake~ ^_^

BTW: if you (philco) think it is weird, just talk to the dealer and let them

exchange a new one for you.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

This is actually not an error. It's just that when the car was wrecked prior to delivery it had to be repainted. It was a black TL to begin with with gray leather. Since the were out of the black they had to repaint it red. Seats had to be replaced because of the severity of the accident. You see, the CF is actually what was supposed to be on it.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:39 PM
10th Gear

The CF in the center console doesn't bother me...I kind of like it. My wife on the other hand wants the wood. She thinks it gives the interior a softer look. I'm going to try to talk to a tech when I take the car to the dealer in a couple days and find out how much of the console will be disassembled just to put in the fake wood.

I wouldn't have to return to the dealer so soon if the heat on the driver's side was working. I shouldn't be complaining. I know it's much colder up north. I worked in Michigan for a few years and can't begin to compare a Texas winter to Michigan.

vikrampatel - The wire in the picture is the power cord to a Valentine 1 (radar detector). I'm temporarily running off the power socket until I have time to hard wire it.

A little better picture of the carbon-fiber in the center console:

Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 PM
10th Gear

Hope rear doors have wood panels, too. I better check mine for any irregularity!
Thanks for the post.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

Update on factory error

I dropped my car off early this morning at the dealer. I got a call a couple hours later that my driver's side no-heat problem was fixed, but that my wood-grain, carbon-fiber accents couldn't be corrected because they were supposed to be like that for the '05 Parchment or Camel interior TLs. I told the svc mgr that I had pictures of other TLs and a paragraph from the Acura website proving him wrong.

After emailing him the pictures and website quote, he called and said that he'd checked with all the salesmen on the floor at the time, and they told him that the combination I had was correct for parchment interior. I gave up arguing with him on the phone.

When I picked my car up tonight, I asked him to show me some proof that
the parchment has mixed accents. His answer was that he couldn't find a part # in the system to order the wood accents peices, so they must be correct??? I have no idea where he was coming from. I asked him to look around the lot with me for other Parchment/Camel interiors to see if any had the mixed accents. On the way out the door, he told one of the salesman about my problem. This salesman had a clue. He told the svc mgr that it sounded like a factory error, because Parch/Camel come standard with wood accents. We checked out all Parch/Camel cars on the lot, and not one had mixed accents. Shocking revelation for the svc mgr.

Finally, the svc mgr is going to go up the chain and figure out what to do. The effort I put out to convince these guys that they didn't know what they were talking about is amazing. After all the BS they gave me, no one apologized.

I did get an '04 TSX for a loaner. It was fun, but no where near as fun as my TL.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:46 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by philco
I dropped my car off early this morning at the dealer. I got a call a couple hours later that my driver's side no-heat problem was fixed, but that my wood-grain, carbon-fiber accents couldn't be corrected because they were supposed to be like that for the '05 Parchment or Camel interior TLs. I told the svc mgr that I had pictures of other TLs and a paragraph from the Acura website proving him wrong.

After emailing him the pictures and website quote, he called and said that he'd checked with all the salesmen on the floor at the time, and they told him that the combination I had was correct for parchment interior. I gave up arguing with him on the phone.

When I picked my car up tonight, I asked him to show me some proof that
the parchment has mixed accents. His answer was that he couldn't find a part # in the system to order the wood accents peices, so they must be correct??? I have no idea where he was coming from. I asked him to look around the lot with me for other Parchment/Camel interiors to see if any had the mixed accents. On the way out the door, he told one of the salesman about my problem. This salesman had a clue. He told the svc mgr that it sounded like a factory error, because Parch/Camel come standard with wood accents. We checked out all Parch/Camel cars on the lot, and not one had mixed accents. Shocking revelation for the svc mgr.

Finally, the svc mgr is going to go up the chain and figure out what to do. The effort I put out to convince these guys that they didn't know what they were talking about is amazing. After all the BS they gave me, no one apologized.

I did get an '04 TSX for a loaner. It was fun, but no where near as fun as my TL.

Sorry for the long post.
Your service manager is a complete idiot.. I truly believe they send these guys to the "school for ignorant service department skills"..
--Ask him if he graduated in the top of his class.......

Sounds like you handled it better than I would of... I hope you get it switched to your liking.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Wink Excellent Color Combo Otherwise !!

Sorry about the center console error. Hope they can fix it easily. I think the wood goes much better with the parchment than the carbon fiber.

GREAT TASTE IN COLOR CHOICES!

Would you believe I had the exact same car on order since end of November from Jacksonville. Got impatient when they said a mid January or later build date. We did a search for any other like cars being built sooner and I believe yours in Texas showed up with a December 20 build date. Managed to locate a Red/Ebony/6MT/Navi already in Florida and I took delivery 12/29. Wife has an Anthracite/Ebony and I liked that interior too.

The red is pretty rare but it's beautiful on the TL and a perfect match for the 6 speed. A real head turner. Enjoy !!

Here's a few pictures of my car.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Your service manager is a complete idiot.. I truly believe they send these guys to the "school for ignorant service department skills"..

Sounds like you handled it better than I would of... I hope you get it switched to your liking.
You might want to talk to someone higher up in management at the dealership &/or contact Acura directly depending on how strongly you feel. I'm not sure you would be out of line requesting a different car for starters and accepting the correction to your complete satisfaction 100% like it was supposed to come from the factory. Also, minimum of a TL loaner or RL or MDX. This is their problem and they told you that you are stupid. Why the hell would the service manager ask salesman how the car is supposed to be?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

Wood accent pieces

Originally Posted by KJSmitty

This service mgr. is way beyond idiot status....
I ordered the pieces in wood to replace my CF pieces that came OEM with my quartz interior. The parts dept. can easily look up the parts and order them. I would take this as insight into the service dept. capability in working with our cars. Take your car to any other dealer but don't leave your car again with these guys....
Bruce
Old 01-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1,011 Likes on 577 Posts

You will need items #10 and #11, which have separate part numbers for woodgrain and carbon. Click here for the item descriptions.

I am pretty sure they will have to take the entire console out in order to replace the storage bins.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Having completely taken apart my console, I can confirm that you do have to take the whole thing out to replace the storage bins. The only parts they could really damage in doing this are those beautiful aluminum strips that run along the two sides. I managed to remove them without any damage whatsoever and that's without the proper trim tools. I'm sure they can do it without hurting your new baby.

Quick Reply: Factory error - Wood-grain & carbon-fiber *pics*