3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F*ckin Yay!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Adam - Sorry to hear of your accident! I sure hope you get it totalled. I'm glad you're OK - hopefully, there's no long-term damage to your body.

Did the side airbags deploy? That could indicate how extensive the frame damage truly is. If so, maybe you could use that while settling. Do you think the airbags / car design helped keep you less injured?

The way that you're writing, it sounds like you are going to use your insurance. Was the other driver uninsured / underinsured? That would suck!

Best wishes for a fast and fair result!

Originally posted by casooner90
Now, my pet peeve.
... Cell phone should be used sparingly and to get the most pertinent information across and not last more than few minutes. If longer, get off of the road, because your mind is engaged in conversation, not on driving as what you should be doing. Take this as a lesson and start considering your cell phone usage. I honestly feel (IMHO) that carrying on a cellphone conversation is as dangerous as being drunk while driving and should be treated as such.
casooner90, I know what you're trying to say here, but I disagree. I don't feel that my driving is severely impacted by my chatting on a cell phone, certainly not as much as if I was driving drunk (not that I would ever do that !). I have still avoided quite a few crashes with other more "driving challenged" drivers while I'm talking on the cell phone. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I think the oft-quoted "talking on a cell phone is like driving drunk" factoid is based on a single University of Utah study ... which would hardly qualify as heavily verified scientific research. I suspect that it is now generally accepted as fact, regardless of the truth.

Here's my thought on the matter: With the exception of the lack of the use of a hand (which I'm holding the cell phone with ... soon to be replaced by Bluetooth HFL, I hope!), chatting on a cell phone doesn't impede your driving performance any more than having a conversation with somebody in the car.

Just because somebody has an accident by being distracted while chatting on a cell phone, doesn't necessarily mean that same person wouldn't be distracted to the same level by having a conversation with somebody in their car. I'll grant you that the driver wouldn't have the conversation at all if they didn't have a cell phone, and thus avoid the accident. However, that same distractable person probably shoudn't be allowed to have conversations with other passengers while driving, either.

Cell phones are a convenient scapegoat. And, boy, don't we Americans love our scapegoats? There's always something or somebody else to blame for our faults. I tend to equate this to some (not all - there's definitely some totally valid cases here) lawsuits for cancer due to a manufacturer's product or manufacturing process. Sometimes, you just get cancer. It's statistically going to happen to some people, regardless of what they've been exposed to.

Just my thoughts ...
Old 02-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Use your insurance!

His insurance company may not be liable to pay the claim, but Adam should definitely contact his insurance agent.

Our Odyssey got hit when it was 1 mo. old (just a little parking lot ding - ~$500 of damage), and the person who hit us was insured but didn't contact their insurance right away.

We on the other hand contacted our agent and got an estimate within a couple of days. When she wasn't moving, all it took was a polite letter to her with a copy of the estimate from our preferred body shop to get a check in the mail to us pronto (she ended up paying out of pocket).

Your agent and insurance should be willing to go to bat for you if the other company is being less than perfectly reasonable.

Mike
Old 02-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Jazz,

You make some points, just points. I'll stick to my opinion that talking on cell phone (hands free or not) will consume your thoughts and thus take you away from your no. 1 task at hand. I may not be the sharpest knife in the kitchen, but I also have noticed my driving focus degrade when I get a call on the phone. Instead of acknowledging the next 12 seconds of the road ahead, you're thinking about your reply on the phone. Thus, I practice a new manuver called "pull over to talk".

As for my observations, I still see them out there. hesitating at a light, coming to abrubt stops, jerking forward at the right turn lane only to stop abruptly when they realize they need to look to their left - no cars still, and many of these other 'drunk driver' like behaviors. So, consider your phone conversations and notice how many times you drive abnormally while on the phone.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Novice
Cell phone use without hands free features should be illegal as in some states.
Cell phone use should be illegal, period, while the vehicle is moving.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Adam,
Sorry to hear about your accident. By the sound of it you may have a good chance at totaling. The thing is you may have to put up a good fight using structural integrity as your line of defense. The body shop can make or break you on this. If the rear wheel is pushed forward along with a door moving into the pillar, the chassis damage alone could make the car unrepairable. Get the body shop on your side.

Cell phones in the car- I just had this conversation this morning at work as we discussed the weather finally breaking and motorcycle riding. I told the other guy I'm thinking about getting rid of my bike and made a point about people driving and talking on the phone. I said I feel very uncomfortable with these people that have the phone glued to their ear, stereo on, etc. I've had several occasions where someone is either veering into me while talking or gone through a stop sign or red light when talking. I'm not innocent either, I've found myself not paying as much attention as I should when I'm on mine, then I curse the damn phone!

Good luck,
Kevd
Old 02-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Cruisin'

I think the body shop would rather have a $20K+ repair job than to argue the car should be totalled!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Adam, I am sorry for your accident and am glad that you feel okay.

In New Jersey, talking on a non-hands free cell phone is against the law. I have never seen it enforced. But I certainly move away from the 102 pound lady driving an Excursion with her kids jumping around, not belted in, with a cell phone to her ear. Scares the spunk out of me! Cell phone use should be illegal everywhere unless it is hands free. There are enough hands free gadgets on the market for $20 or less!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Advanced

think the body shop would rather have a $20K+ repair job than to argue the car should be totalled!
Yes, in some cases you are right. In other cases they'll take the car and make more on parts without the hassle of repair. Keep in mind they are also responsible for any problems that exist from inadequate repair. If your a pain in the ass like me about it, you could make them wish they never attempted to repair it!

Actually a friend of mine went through this recently on his 1 mo. old 540 wagon that was T-boned. The insurance co. actually wanted to repair it at a tune of about $38K! My friend went to a body shop he had ties with and the guy looked at it and said the car would never be what it was nor would it ever be right. My friend got the total, the body shop got the car cheap, with a clear title, and made money parting it out.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Adam,

Sorry to here about your car. I agree I would try and have it totaled. I know I wouldn't feel safe in that car anymore.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Maybe all cars in the future will have Bluetooth....

adam209:

Try to contact the Insurance Adjuster in person.
Asked him/her if they would be satisfied driving your car after it gets (supposedly) fixed.

That's like: if my car were to get stolen--even for 30 minutes.
I don't want the car back after that--It's TAINTED.

Go rent a Porsche 911 for the day...
NathanSilver
Old 02-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
re: drivers on cell phones

I was behind a guy in a Lexus SUV the other day, who was driving slow in the left lane. I pulled up behind him, put my brights on (can't some morons just move over like in Germany without this?), and after he still didn't move I honked. Loud.

So as he was moving over he waved his cell phone to tell me "hey man I'm on the phone."

Well, gee, jackoff, if you're on the phone get a headset or pull over.

Or get a TL / Chrysler / Jeep / BMW with Bluetooth phone connectivity.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
One other note re: driving w/ cell phones -

it's not about HOLDING the phone or DIALING numbers that's the issue, but rather the act of TALKING and LISTENING which consumes more brainpower.

Since women are classically BETTER listeners and men normally listen with half their brainpower, women are more involved with the conversation and put the act of driving at risk...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:29 AM
HMFIC

At least you weren't in a little $hitbox, you might have been hurt. I used to keep my vehicles perfectly and then I started riding motorcycle track days. I had some dumb a-hole lose control behind me then crash into me . My ankle was broken and I developed heel problems - I was on crutches for FOUR months.

Bottom line, be glad you are safe!

Best of luck,

Don
Old 02-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

almost like

deja vu for me. Same thing happened to my colleague, albeit in a beat-up suzuki. He was rear-ended and the beeatch on the cell, actually plowed him across into oncoming traffic and he was then hit again from the front into a telephone pole. Talk about a bad day - so really, you should count your blessings on one hand and extend the other for some real mucho deniro. If only you were in NY, you could actually make out like a bandit.

That being said, the IMPORTANT PART IS: you definitely should get yourself checked out - it will be paid for by the insurance. You may not feel any real pain but the internal bruisings can rear their ugly head later. Trust me, you do want to get those "minor" things taken care of.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks all for your concern. the car was towed to a body shop yesterday at my dad's request. we called our insurance agent and told him the news. he said that if i wanted the car totaled, it would have to sustain damage that's more than half the price of the kbb. he estimated the car to be in the $31k price range, so i would need at least $16k of damage. called the body shop and they said they'd have an estimate by this afternoon. i'm hoping for more than $16,000. as far as suing her for injury, i don't feel the need to sue her. i realize it was her fault and she should pay for it, but i'm really not into ruining her financial life. as long as i get my car replaced, i'm happy. i am glad that i was in the TL though because it's new enough that i should be able to replace it for free. if i was in the bimmer, it is a year old and probably wouldn't get enough money to replace it for free. i am very happy with the TL because i believe it kept me safe and i thank acura for building a safe car. will post after i call the body shop
Old 02-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Unhappy

Adam,

I seemed to be the last one knowing your accident. Hope you would be ok and successfully get what you want back. In this period, I won't bug you too much... Be well.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lindros2
One other note re: driving w/ cell phones -

it's not about HOLDING the phone or DIALING numbers that's the issue, but rather the act of TALKING and LISTENING which consumes more brainpower.

Since women are classically BETTER listeners and men normally listen with half their brainpower, women are more involved with the conversation and put the act of driving at risk...
You're right it does divide your attention but no more than talking to some one in the car. On the oher hand, holding a phone to your ear and talking is significantly more distracting. Plus it removes a hand form controlling the car.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Advanced

just tell you auto adjuster that the frame was damage over 30% and that is consider totaled even if the body looks good or what not frame damage is consider a total car. GOOD LUCK MAN
Old 02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Racer

Originally posted by DMZ
Hope you acted like you were hurt with whiplash or something. Go see one of those ambulence chaser attorneys QUICKLY. They can recommend the 'right MD' so you can have medical expenses, pain & suffering, mental distress, etc.

SUE THE B|TCH WITHIN AN INCH OF HER LIFE!!!!

Remember, the right lawyer can make YOU the winner in the end.

:diablotin
good advice DMV? hehehe
Old 02-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Racer

Re: F*ckin Yay!!!!!!!

Originally posted by adam209
i am so pissed off right now!!!:banghead: :banghead: i hate stupid ass women drivers!!!!!!!:rocketwho :rocketwho some stupid b!tch just f*cked the hell out of my car with her pos american made truck! i was sitting at a f*cking stoplight, and this b!tch was on her f*cking cell phone and just decided to plow right into me. i hit the person in front of me, so both f*cking ends of my car are f*cked up. any suggestions about what to do? just try and get it totaled so i can get a replacement? good thing i got the f*cking a-spec cuz that should be able to let me get another TL, minus a-spec, without any out of pocket charges.
what a filthy mouth!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:55 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah i know nickie, kids these days
Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: F*ckin Yay!!!!!!!

i am so pissed off right now!!!:banghead: :banghead: i hate stupid ass women drivers!!!!!!!:rocketwho :rocketwho some stupid b!tch just f*cked the hell out of my car with her pos american made truck! i was sitting at a f*cking stoplight, and this b!tch was on her f*cking cell phone and just decided to plow right into me. i hit the person in front of me, so both f*cking ends of my car are f*cked up. any suggestions about what to do? just try and get it totaled so i can get a replacement? good thing i got the f*cking a-spec cuz that should be able to let me get another TL, minus a-spec, without any out of pocket charges.
It would be tough to write off unless the damages are very severeas this is a new car that is costly.

The formula is if total repairs + salvage value are more than the Actual Cash Value of the car, it will be a write off. Otherwise it will be repaired.

What a piss off.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Instructor

People who think like YOU......

Originally posted by Hybrid
Is this how you want someone to treat you if you are in an accident that is your fault? Is this how you think this country should work?

.....are the the reason we have so many problems in this Country, where people who "play by the rules" always get screwed in the end .....Open your eyes and look at this scenario for what it is ..... Especially knowing that she was at the wheel of a huge a$$ truck capable of seriously injuring or killing someone, is all the more reason this STUPID SELFISH B!TCH should have been concentrating on the task of driving. These are the kinds of r*tards who give all SUV drivers a bad name!! The only way to "straighten" these a$$holes, is to "rule with an iron hand". Unfortunately, that's the only language these animals understand.

(I know that lots of people think that's a great way to run things, and that they think no one loses in these situations because "an insurance company" pays the bill.) I'm not saying that the lady that hit this TL shouldn't be held responsible. She should, and her new insurance rates should reflect it. And the TL owner should get his car fixed or replaced, including diminished value as applicable. But he shouldn't get any money for non-existent injuries.
As a matter of fact it is this lowlife (FYI, not lady ) that should pay dearly, not the insurance company. Even if the compensation comes from the insurance company, eventually her increased rates are what's gonna kill her, and that's a GOOD thing!! Yes!!!

I was a victim of being rear ended while I was stopped at a red light, by a STONE DRUNK illegal alien with no insurance and no driver's license, a few years back. So, when I hear stories like this my BLOOD BOILS!!!. :rocketwho At that time I'd just bought a brand new Toyota Corolla and it was just 5 weeks old when this happened!! Having worked hard and saved up for it, it was my pride and joy. After being hit, the car was never the same. Luckily I had uninsured motorist coverage, but nevertheless, I did not get any "diminshed value" or any other kind of compensation. So who do you think got screwed in the end?? That son of a b!tch was not even arrested by these corrupt cops here in Southern California, even though a blind person could tell he was drunk the way he was staggering up and down, not to mention the strong odor coming from his breath
Old 02-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Racer

I don't blame you for being pissed. But singling out women drivers as a group of bad drivers is not accurate.

If women had a higher incident of accidents than men, their insurance premiums would be higher... and they are not.

Idiots come in both genders.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:52 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by JohnDoe2
I don't blame you for being pissed. But singling out women drivers as a group of bad drivers is not accurate.

If women had a higher incident of accidents than men, their insurance premiums would be higher... and they are not.

The "idiots" statement I fully agree, I've called myself that many of times while driving....

As for women not having higher insurance premiums, I'm not sure if thats entirely accurate... From my experience, being a father, girlfriends in the past etc. girls/women do cost more. If I remember correctly, back in the 80's insurance groups/companies started changing their theories towards female drivers due to numerous studies. Results proved women tend to be more distracted while driving.

By no means is this a derogatory statement from me towards women! Heaven knows, my wife is a better driver than I in many regards...

As for your mishap Adam, truly is a shame - yet glad you weren't hurt. Good luck with the repair/replacement.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: F*ckin Yay!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Nicki
what a filthy mouth!
Cmon, cut him some slack, his car was just severly damaged!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JohnDoe2

i'm sorry that i sngled out women, but notice i said stupid ass women. not women drivers. some women can drive good, and i applaud them. most that i see, can't drive worth sh!t
Old 02-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

just to update, called body shop and they informed me that the damage is almost $26,500, so i guess the insurance will just total the car. i'm happy that i don't have to get a repaired car back but am sad to see it go. so now the question is what to do for a car. not too sure what i want to do seeing as how i already have a vehicle. should i keep the money that i'll get for the TL and save it? should i buy another TL and sell my other car? i'm gonna be 20 in april and am transfering to sacramento to go to school up there. i know i'll need extra money when i get to college(i.e. clothes, spending money, vacations). my parents are paying for school, my apartment, and my insurance. all i'd have to do would be to get a job for leisure money. any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

Talking

Adam,

The way I see it you have two choices:

1) Get a 2004 Accord and a used 1LE Z28.

2) Get another TL.

In either case, you need to sell that BMW to get your spending money.

Mike
Old 02-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by svtmike
Adam,

The way I see it you have two choices:

1) Get a 2004 Accord and a used 1LE Z28.

2) Get another TL.

In either case, you need to sell that BMW to get your spending money.

Mike
HAHAHAHA...i like option 1. so sell the bimmer buy another acura TL. thing is, i'd get about $8 or $9k more if i just kept the bimmer.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Team Owner

HAHAHAHA...i like option 1. so sell the bimmer buy another acura TL?
Absolutely. You have to get right back on the horse.

Mike
Old 02-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Absolutely. You have to get right back on the horse.

Mike
thing is, i'd get about $8 or $9k more if i just kept the bimmer.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

Then do that.

Or go with Option 1 and head off to the University of Rhode Island instead of Sacramento.

Mike
Old 02-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Then do that.

Or go with Option 1 and head off to the University of Rhode Island instead of Sacramento.

Mike
haha...you forgot i'd have to grow a mullet!!!

that's what i'm not sure about. lose 8 or 9 thousand and have a nice ass acura? or save the money and keep the bimmer. i've realized that although it's nice to have 2 cars(it came in handy since the tl got totaled), i don't need it and can have alot of money to just do whatever i want with. just trying to jusify re-buying the TL
Old 02-28-2004, 11:22 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Go with an attorney, and check with a doctor...
my friend got hit from behind, and the attorney was able to get $150.000 in damages due to medical issues...

you still have time to check for problems as they may appear later...
I hate when people rear-end you because they are doing something stupid!
Old 02-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
Go with an attorney, and check with a doctor...
my friend got hit from behind, and the attorney was able to get $150.000 in damages due to medical issues...

you still have time to check for problems as they may appear later...
I hate when people rear-end you because they are doing something stupid!
i'm not looking to get money from her. i know she did wrong and i should ream her for money, but that's not what i feel like doing. i'm just happy that i came out alive. she messed up, and i hope that she's more aware of what she's doing next time. besides, i hate people who sue people just because they know they could win. life's too short ot get caught up with this. plus, quite frankly, i don't feel like going through the hassle of a lawsuit
Old 02-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Team Owner

i've realized that although it's nice to have 2 cars
I personally have never had more than one car for myself; I just don't see the point. I try to buy cars that I will be satisfied with every time I have to drive: any season of the year, whether I want to go slow or fast, and whether it's just me or hauling others around.

The TL really fit that bill for me. The BMW probably does for you too.

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Team SSM

Question

Hey Adam are the rims and tires OK????

And it was an A-Spec right???

I wonder if the insurance will part it out..
Old 02-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by copter
Hey Adam are the rims and tires OK????

And it was an A-Spec right???

I wonder if the insurance will part it out..
i'm assuming the tires probably have flat spots from sliding on them. not too sure though. i think that the left rear wheel might have been bent a little bit but the front 2 should be in ok condition. as far as the a-spec, the insurance knew that it was an additional $5200 so i'm hoping i get the money for that option. i told the agent that it was like getting a moonroof option added on and that they should take into account that it was not aftermarket. he told me that more than likely, they would give me additional money for the a-spec.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

I personally have never had more than one car for myself; I just don't see the point. I try to buy cars that I will be satisfied with every time I have to drive: any season of the year, whether I want to go slow or fast, and whether it's just me or hauling others around.

The TL really fit that bill for me. The BMW probably does for you too.

Mike
i love both cars. the tl, for me, had more of a wow factor and that's why i think this is going to be a hard decision for me. is that wow factor an 8 or 9 thousand dollar decision? i've been thinking of maybe buying a TL and not getting a-spec. this would only make it a 3 or 4 thousand dollar loss.

Quick Reply: F*ckin Yay!!!!!!!