Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

experiences buying from faraway dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
experiences buying from faraway dealer?

I'm looking to buy. Since prices are cheaper on the east coast, I'm considering purchasing from a NJ dealer and having the car trucked to CA.

Anyone done this, and can tell me what to expect? I'm told there are trucking fees of approx $1000, and some issues with CA smog and VIN check. What's this really like?

Thanks!

david
Old 03-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a similar thing although the dealer was only about 200 miles away (so I drove it down). Many dealers asked for MSRP or $500 off for the Nav model, but I ended up getting $2400 off MSRP. Given that it will cost you $1000 and now you might be able to get a better deal on TL, I would say do some more extensive search around CA dealers before you come all the way out here.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Novice
I did a similar thing although the dealer was only about 200 miles away (so I drove it down). Many dealers asked for MSRP or $500 off for the Nav model, but I ended up getting $2400 off MSRP. Given that it will cost you $1000 and now you might be able to get a better deal on TL, I would say do some more extensive search around CA dealers before you come all the way out here.

Good luck.
Be careful in choosing who transports the car and how its transported. A cross-country trip in an open car carrier isn't the greatest thing for a new car. There's a couple of high-end companies ( [URL=http://www.horselesscarriage.com/] ) but the cost would eat up any savings you got on the car. My company paid $2K to get my C36 from Chicago to NY.

Also, some dealers discriminate when servicing cars purchased elsewhere. This could mean difficulty in getting appointments and loaners. If the price difference is within a few hundred dollars you may be better off buying the car from the dealer that's going to service it.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Racer

Originally posted by BarryH
Be careful in choosing who transports the car and how its transported. A cross-country trip in an open car carrier isn't the greatest thing for a new car. There's a couple of high-end companies ( [URL=http://www.horselesscarriage.com/] ) but the cost would eat up any savings you got on the car. My company paid $2K to get my C36 from Chicago to NY.

Also, some dealers discriminate when servicing cars purchased elsewhere. This could mean difficulty in getting appointments and loaners. If the price difference is within a few hundred dollars you may be better off buying the car from the dealer that's going to service it.
I agree with this, I'd swallow hard and pony up the extra cash to buy local. It just isn't worth the aggravation and uncertainties.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought from NJ Live in Ohio
Old 03-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro

Thumbs down DON'T DO IT!

What you're thinking of doing makes zero sense! Even if you could get the car for $2,000 less than in CA, the cost of transporting it, and flying to East coast, plus the extra risk and hassle will not be worth it! And realistically, you wouldn't even be able to get the car $2,000 cheaper than in CA.

If you don't plan on flying to East Coast to take delivery, you're greatly increasing your risk. Almost every single car is delivered with some defects that have to be pointed out at the delivery time to get them fixed for free. If you're not there to get the selling dealer to fix them, your local dealer will NOT fix them for free.

I'm a big proponent of buying from a faraway dealer, but my definition of "faraway" is within a 6 hour drive. I live in DC area and bought from NJ, but it cost me close to nothing to go there to ensure that the car was perfect, and I drove the car back myself.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I just bought my G35 this way. Paid $600 to have it shipped across the country. It would've costed the same, for me to fly out there, and drive it back, less the hotel and gas costs, but it still would've been cheaper than buying locally. I opted to have it shipped, because I don't want to drive back through the Rocky Mountains in February.

As for risk, I don't think there is any. Depends on your dealer. Mine just said that if I had any problems, to get it fixed, and mail them the bill and they'd take care of it. I know someone near me who also bought a G from the same dealer, and his car had some scratches. From what I heard, the dealer took care of him just like they said they will.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

It's nice to see something is cheaper in NJ. Because everything else about owning a car in NJ has to be the most expensive in the nation.

Does the fact that the car is a ULEV assure it meets the CA emmissions requirement?

But I'd have to agree with the other posts in that there are too many risks in transporting a car 3000 miles that you haven't had a chance to inspect prior to delivery. Who's to say if something happens in transit that the transporter blames the dealer and vice versa.

Pay for the piece of mind or wait until the market saturates itself a little more and price drop. I know that's easy to say since I've got mine already. If you do follow through, consider DCH Montclair Acura. They have a great reputation. Good Luck