Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine swaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 12:29 PM
professional TL driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine swaps

i tried to search but didnt find anything in regaurds to my topic....

what are the major differences in the pilots heads and the tl?

the reason i ask is that is has seperate exaust manifolds that bolt to the head. is the chamber the same size? valves? intake passages? the new pilots have 255 hp, not much less then the tl. could the additional power be compression and the cams and intake?... if the heads arent that different wouldnt these be easier for a build up.... just take the tl cam gear and such. i want to build a motor (had already started building a 3.0 for my contour when i wrecked it). so bottom end (rods, pistons) would be replaced with aftermarket (higher comp, na or same comp, forced induction) either way.... what am i looking at here?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
professional TL driver

Ttt
Old 12-13-2004, 11:37 PM
professional TL driver

no one has any info?

i found out a bit more thru my reasearch and help from rets. the pilot is only running a 10.0 to 1 compression ratio and produces 255hp and 250 lbs of torque. even better the MDX has 265hp and 253 lbs of torque and a 10.0 to 1 compression ratio... so what does all this mean? that the engine isnt fully optimized NA. it gives up a full point of compression to the tl. id guess that at a full 11 to 1 the engine would have upwards of 290hp (probably even a bit more) and this doesnt even take into acct the intake or cams from the tl. i know the mdx and tl intake is almost the same, but im sure the tl has more radical cams due to the higher comp and higher redline. which means that with a frankenstein swap u would have 300+ hp. probably even more, since you can spin the beast a little bit faster with the built bottom end and new cams. also this would allow the use of headers since the pilot does (at least my moms 04 didnt) not have close coupled cats (i belive the mdx does) intake appears to be major difference between pilot and mdx. add in a cold air intake. over all this means when you add it all up a motor that has the potential to produce 320+ hp NA.

and for the forced induction crowd the results could be even better as the engine already has a lower compression. 10 to 1, is alot healthier to boost then an 11 to 1 ratio.

now what i have outlined isnt cheap, several thousands dollars in parts alone let alone labor. but it seems easier to buy a pilot or mdx motor then any of the others that are available.

does any one know the cam specs on the tl and also the mdx/pilot?

im looking to build one myself, but i need to lay the ground work first, plus to be flat honest im broke due to the holidays so i have to wait anyway
Old 12-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Intermediate

The MDX has a 3.5ltr V6 doesnt it?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Check the 2nd gen section, I believe there were some people that did 3.5L conversions in their 2nd gen TL's.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:19 PM
professional TL driver

the mdx does have a 3.5 litre, and thats the point an extra .3 displacement... for all those people out the that want more torque this would give an extra 15lbs thru the most of the power band... even more if you played with the parts... i read the 2 gen boards the took type s heads and bolted them to a 3.5 block. my main concern was to use the original 3.5 heads and block the tl cams and intake. so that a full header could be used (you cant with our current heads) so this is a new theme on an old idea. that why im hoping someone here know cam specs, bearing sizes and what not.... to see if there compatable between the heads... you can probably pick up a pilot engine for under a grand. so it makes for an affordable engine swap
Old 02-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Anything new??

I'd like to know more about this, too... thanks...
Old 02-12-2005, 12:20 AM
professional TL driver

its been a while since i saw this thread.... by the dates pushing two months.... in truth not so long, but it feels alot longer....

i really would still like to get the cam specs for both engines that way i could crunch some #. a pilot block and heads seems the way to go, along with the tl intake manifold and cams. but to be sure i would need more info... valve sizes, and cam duration and lift, mainly on the vtec side. the tl intake manifold is the dual stage manifold so it gets the nod there.... the best results of this swap would be to not only gain the extra .3 displacement but to also gain the ability for true headers... although the cat delete pipe from proto type racing will probably give gains the true header set up is by far the best bet