Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine

Everyone wants power. So I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a DOHC that can go onto the 2004 TL's SOHC. Also is anyone running turbo in theres. If so what kinda need a idea because I want to run hard. There are some Maxima's out there that need a challenge and my car comming before this year put going to be running hard by next summer.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:49 PM
givin the business

Old 09-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Engine

Basically wanted to know if the head can change on the engine into a Dual and is anyone running turbo on the 2004 TL
Old 09-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Both Worlds
Everyone wants power. So I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a DOHC that can go onto the 2004 TL's SOHC. Also is anyone running turbo in theres. If so what kinda need a idea because I want to run hard. There are some Maxima's out there that need a challenge and my car comming before this year put going to be running hard by next summer.
I can't say it would be impossible to change from SOHC to DOHC, but I could tell you that you can forget about that, it would practically be a new engine, no way. too much $$.

As far as turbo, the only hope you have is if they make one for the RL in the Japanesse market and then it could be modified or fitted for the TL.

If you want real power you have 2 options a comptech supercharger (40-60 hp throught out the RPM's) or NOS.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Engine

So basically there is no way to get the the horsepower range of 300hp or 400hp. Because I am trying to stay away from NOS. Don't like the super charger.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Engine

Maxima 2004 Se is my enemy so I need to have more then enough power
Old 09-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Racer

the 2004 maxima doesnt make 300- 400hp so what are you worried about. you should be able the get a cai and exhaust and be able to beat him pretty good. what does the max have done to it?
Old 09-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

So basically there is no way to get the the horsepower range of 300hp or 400hp. Because I am trying to stay away from NOS. Don't like the super charger.
of course there are ways to get the horsepower to 300-400. it just depends on how much money you want to spend. comptech is releasing their supercharger which is rumored to be about 60hp increase which would easily take you over the 300 mark. coupled with an exhaust system and some form of CAI intake i would say you might be in the mid 300's. since the engine on this car has such a high compression ratio trying to get more boost in it would be dangerous. you can investigate bore and stroking the engine to 3.5 liters possible and then upping the boost on the supercharger. i dunno who would be able to do this(comptech probably) but anything is possible.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Honda is getting great power and efficiency out of its SOHC design, and it is simple - there is no intrinsic advantage to a DOHC anyway - like any engine, it is a series of compromises. Look at the power and efficiency the LS6 OHV engine provides Chevrolet - shoehorn a SB Chevy in there if you want to run really hard.

It is kinda funny that the Corvette gets great gas mileage with its "dinosaur" OHV engine, where European cars comparable in performance all are gas guzzlers. The worm has turned.

I agree with the others who have dismissed your idea - the cost would be tremendous, as you would have to re-engineer the intake, the ECM fuel, spark, and timing maps - and there is no guarantee you would end up with a better engine. You might have a very peaky engine with good HP, but a lousy torque curve. Then you would have to re-engineer the transmission(s).

Bolt a power adder on there, and dyno tune with a VAFC - that has proven to be the most effective, reasonably priced answer to those who want to take a sedan and make it powerful.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
You can get to 300 PEAK HP with some bolt on's, VAFC, and head work. But again, the difference will be slight, as that would be peak HP - HP is about top speed. A broad torque curve is what gets the job done on the street. You might make 300 peak HP, but if you have altered the power curve, you could lose driveability. Remember that cars optimized for peak HP also have gearing optimized for peak HP. You are not likely going to want to go that route.

You are not going to get 400 HP out of anything but a power adder. If you do not like a SC, get a turbo.

Or a CTS-V.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Team NightHawk VP

turbos arent going to work on the TL, because the TL already has 11:1 compression ratio.

it will work if u run low boost, which kinda defeats the point of the turbo because you want to run it on high boost for a lot more hp.

another option is wait till they come out with lower compression pistons then add a turbo, that wont screw up your engine
Old 09-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by cliff
turbos arent going to work on the TL, because the TL already has 11:1 compression ratio.

it will work if u run low boost, which kinda defeats the point of the turbo because you want to run it on high boost for a lot more hp.

another option is wait till they come out with lower compression pistons then add a turbo, that wont screw up your engine
The honda 2.0 DOCH i-Vtec I has a fuel ratio of 65:1 how sweet. I can't wait to see a V6 3.5 DOCH i-Vtec I (direct ignition), it would outperform the M3 I6 easily.

The Honda diesel i-CDTI has a 16:1 ratio and it is turbocharged. Of course there are no spark plugs.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:14 PM
professional TL driver

the only true advantage to the DOHC design is that you can phase the cams independantly from each other. great if you are an engine builder looking to get every ounce of performance, not so much for us. in order to use that aspect you would have to dyno the engine (many times) and see what combo worked to your advantage (variable cam timing is a similar approach, chaged constantly by a computer) changing over 2 a dohc design wouldnt give you a huge power boost by itself. the cost far out weigh the benifits. you would be better off with a power adder, turbo, nos, sc for the power your looking for.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Engine

Thanks alot. So basically the route is Super Charger. Fine we got that straight. So if I add on a Intake, exhaust it will be right up my alley. but what about headers are there any performance ones out if so would it be alright to bolt one on.

Also about the bor and stroke. How much does an engine shop do that for? Would it help alot?
The maxima doesn't make in the 300 range but it has more torque and it is lighter with a lesser rpm range when this all kicks in. So yea I might have the hp but I wait alot longer. Basically I am trying to make a road car not for drag. For like long runs from the Bronx to Orlando.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Thanks alot. So basically the route is Super Charger. Fine we got that straight. So if I add on a Intake, exhaust it will be right up my alley. but what about headers are there any performance ones out if so would it be alright to bolt one on.

Also about the bor and stroke. How much does an engine shop do that for? Would it help alot?
The maxima doesn't make in the 300 range but it has more torque and it is lighter with a lesser rpm range when this all kicks in. So yea I might have the hp but I wait alot longer. Basically I am trying to make a road car not for drag. For like long runs from the Bronx to Orlando.
you cannot upgrade the headers since they are welded onto the engine. i mean anything is possible if you want to cut the headers off and then weld on your "upgraded" headers. supercharger with intake and exhaust would probably give you mid 300's horsepower wise. as for bore and stroke you will have to find an engine shop that will do it. just to give you an idea here are some engine services offered from comptech. its pretty pricey, the only reason you want to bore and stroke it is so that you can lower the compression and then run more boost.

CompTech Engines
Old 09-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Drifting

Dude..you've got a really nice Acura...if you wanted a "race car"....why didn't you buy something with more power? I just don't understand why somone would start modifying a perfectly good engine in a new car for some extra power...if you wanted the power it would make more sense to buy a car that had the power you wanted in the first place. By putting superchargers on an engine, or modifying the stroke or bore, you're going to void the warranty on a perfectly fine car. You talked about driving to Orlando.....how fast do you want to drive...the TL can sustain over 100MPH with no problem until the cops pull you over eventually.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Advanced

You are right. Was trying something new. I guess the intake and exhaust is it with the supercharger. It will sustain me until I get some more money for another car.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
My question is, if you wanted such a fast car, why did you buy the TL in the first place? To run the amount of power you want, you will have to beef up alot of internals. For a shop to do this work the labor will kill you, you could have just bought a really fast car for the money you are going to put into this one. Did someone say CTS-V?

PS, I'm not saying the TL is slow, but it just seems like this guy wants NSX power and performance out of a front engine, FWD car.

Cliff was right, the compression ratio on the engine is too high to run a high amount of boost. You could probably run 6-7 PSI safetly, which definitely won't get you to 300-400HP.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And don't forget what DOHC really can do in the hands of real engineers (honda), the NSX 3.2L DOHC had 290 HP 10 years ago, and 260HP in the 3.0L. Course at 290HP it had I think 10 or 20 less torque than ours, but the NSX was a 4.9second car I think. (And lighter) (and $89,000)

The Prelude 2.2 DOHC had 200hp and 150 lb/ft many years ago. The S2000 2.0L has 240HP and 152 lb/ft (or was it 160), but that thing is just a feat of engineering magic.

Hence why the new iVTEC system is DOHC, can tweak the overlap like BMW's Vanos system and even further tune the emissions. The Accord 4cyl this year is PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) That is Frigging amazing out of a gasoline combustion engine.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Drifting

[QUOTE=Sherlock]The S2000 2.0L has 240HP and 152 lb/ft (or was it 160), but that thing is just a feat of engineering magic.

QUOTE]

120 HP/liter ratio? Plus Variable valve timing? Damn thats hot.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:51 PM
professional TL driver

for 04 the s2000 is now 2.2 liters, still rated at 240 hp. more torque over a broader area the red line was lowered from 9000 to 8000 (i pretty sure its 8000) , because of the increased displacement
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Racer

Why be afraid of nitrous or a supercharger? If all you want is to race the car, have a shop custom grind a hot cam and leave it SOHC. So you won't have good gas mileage or a smooth running motor, but you might gain 20-30 horsepower.

-Chad
Old 09-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Nah I am want my car to run smooth. They way I wanted it to seem is that I want a car that I know alot of mods can't be done to it and everybody else knows that. So I would mod it behond the regular.

So you telling me that if I get the supercharger that I can only run 6psi not bringing me to mid 300hp?

Also is it possible to add the vtec controller in the car?

Do i have to change my engine mangement system?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Racer

IF you really want to modify a third generation TL to gain horsepower, you should increase the displacement. It'll be expensive, but that will allow you to put in forged pistons and a bulletproof lower end that can handle the high psi of a turbo. As far as the ECU is concerned, there are plenty of aftermarket shops that can remap them for your particular application.

Save your money, buy a car that people expect to be fast and make it insanely fast !!!

-Chad
Old 10-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Your right I should but. I like this car so I wanted some power.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:39 PM
professional TL driver

Nah I am want my car to run smooth. They way I wanted it to seem is that I want a car that I know alot of mods can't be done to it and everybody else knows that. So I would mod it behond the regular.

So you telling me that if I get the supercharger that I can only run 6psi not bringing me to mid 300hp?

Also is it possible to add the vtec controller in the car?

Do i have to change my engine mangement system?

if you can tune the car safely mid to high 300s in hp is possible at 7 or so psi. the only problem is fighting detonation, with an 11:1 compression ratio, the car is already squeezing pretty hard to begin with, using much more then 5 psi (7 is really pushing it) and your asking for trouble. i belive the bottom end can handle that kind of power, but you will have to tune it and you will have to run it pretty rich to gaurd againt pre-ignition. either way it can be done, expesive, but still possible. especially if you tear it down and rebuilt with lower comp pistons
Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Drifting

Your right I should but. I like this car so I wanted some power.

Is your car really not fast enough for you? It's a pretty powerful engine considering the class of car it is.