Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 04:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist

Tonight at 2:10am I was on my way home and was the first car waiting at a red light waiting to turn left. The left turn light turns green and I slowly go forward into the left turn. Some dip shit runs the red light going north straight towards me on the same street that I was on while I was turning left and didn’t stop. I slam on the breaks hard and was able to stop just in time. Probably missed him by about a foot. He just keeps going and didn’t even stop. Probably a drunk SOB. My TL was able to stop right away but the whole car shook as if something was wrong with it. Luckily I wasn’t going very fast since I just started going when the light turned green. I think the car was able to stop so fast because the Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist kicked in. Sure got my adrenaline pumping. I'm glad that nothing bad happened or else I would have been pissed, since I just got the TL about 10 days ago.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately this is one of the big problems with ABS brakes. When they activate, the brake pedal with pulsate. This scares many drivers and the initial reaction is to take your foot off the brake rather than to continue to apply pressure.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very true midas, the pulsating brake pedal and associated noises are your friends when it comes to antilock brakes. I know, it feels like the car is falling apart, but fear not, it's all good.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Good to know everything is fine...

Originally Posted by chavez
Tonight at 2:10am I was on my way home and was the first car waiting at a red light waiting to turn left. The left turn light turns green and I slowly go forward into the left turn. Some dip shit runs the red light going north straight towards me on the same street that I was on while I was turning left and didn’t stop. I slam on the breaks hard and was able to stop just in time. Probably missed him by about a foot. He just keeps going and didn’t even stop. Probably a drunk SOB. My TL was able to stop right away but the whole car shook as if something was wrong with it. Luckily I wasn’t going very fast since I just started going when the light turned green. I think the car was able to stop so fast because the Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist kicked in. Sure got my adrenaline pumping. I'm glad that nothing bad happened or else I would have been pissed, since I just got the TL about 10 days ago.
Acura says:

If the driver suddenly applies the brakes, Brake Assist brings the system to full ABS activation to help stop the vehicle in the shortest distance possible. It is only activated when the microprocessor detects that certain brake pedal speed and pressure thresholds are reached.

Importantly, Brake Assist does not "take over" braking on the TL-it only assists the driver in obtaining full braking performance in an emergency. Brake Assist deactivates when the driver releases pressure on the brake pedal.

As for EBD, it may not be as important as the Brake Assist in this matter. EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution) is to continuously and automatically adjusts the pressure distribution between the front and rear brakes depending on how the vehicle is loaded.

Ultimately, dozens of systems have been working at the same time to make your car safely, steadily, and quickly stop.