Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD-A vs DTS 5.1 Surround - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
DVD-A vs DTS 5.1 Surround - Help!

I've enjoyed purchasing and listening to DVD-A disk and last night was know exception. I purchased Steely Dan's Gaucho and it stated it was "5.1 Surround Sound" on the cover. However, it reads as a "DTS" disk, not a DVD-A like my other disks.

When I noticed it was a DTS format, I wasn't expecting it the disk to sound as good as the disks that I have that indicate "DVD-A (with the gold icon).

Anyway, when I played the Steely Dan disk, in my option, it was "livery" and had more separation than even the DVD-A disk I listen too; I was pleasantly surprised.

SO, hers my questions:

1. What is the differences between A) DVD-A; B) DTS 5.1 and C) DTS?

2. Is DTS 5.1 supposed to as good as DVD-A?

3. Are all DTS disk also 5.1 as indicated on the Steely Dan disk I just purchased?

Also, I just picked up the Blue Man Groups DVD-A and I was really disappointed, the only track I liked was the track included on the Acura Demo DVD-A and the volume was substantially lower than my other DVD-A's

Thanks,

Michael
Old 03-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try reading the DVD-Audio primer that's been a sticky for a long time. It answers all your questions and more.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DVD-A primer covers your technical questions as previously posted.

As for why DTS sounds better (even though DVD-A is a better format) has to do with how it's recorded. DTS audio recordings tend to be mixed with more separation, making the sound seem more distinct to the ear.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks!

Hey guys thanks for your help, and I had read that Thread about two months ago, but didn't realize is was a sticky.

Also, since I had read (but obviously don't remember everything that was stated) I attemped to perform numrrous seaches with know luck....

Thanks again, I'll check it out.

Mike Smeezy
Old 03-05-2004, 12:00 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Has anyone else seen the Dual Disc format? CD on one side, DVD-A on the other side. I saw it for the first time on Ebay tonight.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I happened to read a blurb about it on highfidelityreviews.com a moment ago. They said typically the DVD side would be DVD-V, with a possibility of DVD-A.

With the high number of DVD-V players out there, I think they'd be nuts to market these with anything but DVD-V format.

Between DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, Hybrid SACD, DualDisc, etc. etc. I think we're going to end up with a lot of confused consumers who will just not buy instead of risk buying the wrong thing.

Mike
Old 03-05-2004, 12:09 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

CD is still the safe choice. The discs I've seen on eBay claim that they are CD audio on one side and DVD-Audio on the other side... some good releases too.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Racer

I just bought a copy of Jonatha Brooke's steady pull that came in a 2 sided dvd format. One side is DVD-A the other is DVD-V. Haven't watched the DVD side yet, but the DVD-A hasn't left the player in the TL :-)

It's available from her site http://jonathabrooke.com. Cost was $20.

Originally posted by svtmike
I happened to read a blurb about it on highfidelityreviews.com a moment ago. They said typically the DVD side would be DVD-V, with a possibility of DVD-A.

With the high number of DVD-V players out there, I think they'd be nuts to market these with anything but DVD-V format.

Between DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, Hybrid SACD, DualDisc, etc. etc. I think we're going to end up with a lot of confused consumers who will just not buy instead of risk buying the wrong thing.

Mike
Old 03-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mannheim Steamrollers Christmas Extraordinaire is dvda/cd hybrid flip too.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Lore
CD is still the safe choice. The discs I've seen on eBay claim that they are CD audio on one side and DVD-Audio on the other side... some good releases too.
I purchased the Blue Man Groups DVD-A and on the other side was thier DVD-V.

Lore,

Today (03/05/04) I spotted an Antracite non-navi 5AT at Montgomery Theater in San Jose, it was purchased at the Sunnyvale store, do you know who's it is?

Mike Smeezy
Old 03-05-2004, 11:31 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Mike:

No clue -- I live in the East Bay (but have family in the South Bay) so I'm not there all that frequently -- maybe a few days a month. One of my old high school classmates [wow, it's been years now]just bought his last week(Silver/Ebony w/ Navi from Los Gatos) so you might see it around the SJ area.

He lives a quarter mile away from my parents' home too.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

dvd dts is better than dvd-a

play both at the same volume.. dts sounds better with BETTER seperation..

thats why my eagles dvd-dts runs circles over my stone temple pilots in dvd-a

thanks,
eric
Old 03-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have some CD-DTS and they do sound great, I have a few DVD-A, and they sound similar. I then played both on my newly setup DVD-A system in the house and was just blown a-freakin-way by the DVD-A on a capable system. I have one DVD that I didn't realize was not marked DVD-A but rather "DVD Music" which is just dvd-v track. Oddly my dvd-a system in the house won't play it, but the TL will.

I learned with the home dvd-a system just how much treble the TL is lacking, wow. But it still rocks for a stock car system.