Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD-A Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-A Questions

The DVD player does not label the DVDs, nor the tracks. I am surpised that this information is not somewhere on the vast storage of the DVD. Is there a way to get the TL to display this information?

Many DVDs include a 2 channel high resolution version of the audio. Is there a way to get the TL to playback that portion of the DVD?
Old 02-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Track information (and disc navigation) are typically handled by the video portion of the DVD-A, which the TL audio system will not display.

The TL audio system will only play "Group 1" of the DVD-A. I do have one DVD-A that has stereo on one side and 5.1 on the other (Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me), but that's a rarity.

Mike
Old 02-15-2004, 11:02 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mike,

Not for long! DualDisc (CD/redbook on one side, DVD-A/DVD-V, or PCM on the other) may just be the Next Big Format.

Even Sony is on board (CD/PCM). Weird. I hope it ends up being a good thing, and not a format the favors DVD-V extras instead of hi-quality MLP tracks.

Jon
Old 02-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by svtmike
Track information (and disc navigation) are typically handled by the video portion of the DVD-A, which the TL audio system will not display.
This statement suggests that the design of the DVD-A discs does not incorporate the possibliity that the discs are being played on a non-video system. The data for the disc title and sound titles must be on the disc - it's only a matter of getting access to it and displaying it on the VFD. With as much controversity with audio formats, I find it hard to believe that this feature was not built-into the DVD-A spec. If so, then this begs the question of why (or whether) our units can display this info....
Old 02-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by racerchris
This statement suggests that the design of the DVD-A discs does not incorporate the possibliity that the discs are being played on a non-video system. The data for the disc title and sound titles must be on the disc - it's only a matter of getting access to it and displaying it on the VFD. With as much controversity with audio formats, I find it hard to believe that this feature was not built-into the DVD-A spec. If so, then this begs the question of why (or whether) our units can display this info....
The spec allows for metadata to be multiplexed with the audio/video display streams, but there is no standard that I know of for the format of that information, so to my knowledge there is no one who puts the info in that way.

The thinking is probably that the display is the same as you see on the front of your DVD player, and if you want advanced navigation beyond that you have to have a display screen.

Mike