Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD Audio discs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question DVD Audio discs

I haven't even gotten my car yet, but last week I went out and bought a few DVD,DTS audio discs to load when it's delivered. Does anyone have any recommendation for great sounding stuff. I'm listening to the Doors right now, and it's great...brings back memories.....and I also listened to Cheryl Crow, and REM. The REM sounded great, but I was a little bummed with the sound of the Cheryl Crow disc. Anybody have any sugestions???
Old 02-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
This has been discussed a number of times, but here are my recommendations for DVD-A's that IMHO really show off the 5.1 capabilities of the TL:

Blue Man Group - Audio
Queen - The Game
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Yes - Fragile

And, a little off the beaten path

Dishwalla - Opaline
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee

Mike
Old 02-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Check out the reviews at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/dvdaudio.asp

It seems that some albums take much better advantage of the DVD-A 5.1 capabilities than other albums. If the DVD-A version just sounds like a CD, why bother?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recommend Queen (game) and Donald Fagan. I concur with rvmeush - bought Peter Frampton and can't tell the difference, so why bother DVD-A format when it sounds like a CD. I also like the clarity of Linda Ronstadt - she is sitting next to me in my car (I couldn't tell my wife to sit in the back).
Old 02-23-2004, 11:48 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Dude, Dishwalla has a DVD-Audio disc? I gotta buy that... I loved that album.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Instructor

the Coors, In Blue is excellent
Old 02-24-2004, 03:30 AM
Drifting

Rvmeush, thanks for the link. Also everyone else for the info. They should make a sticky about new discs for our audio system since it's such a new thing and most people are not familiar with whats available...and how it sounds.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quite honestly The Eagles Hotel California is the only "high fidelity" souding DVD-A I've heard..

I've bought Shania Twain "UP" and also "CORE" and I have to turn up the volume levels in my home system to high levels.. I put in Shania Twain "UP" normal cd and it sounds better and a lower volume level..

I have a sony es 7.1 digital drive reiciever with a matching sony dvd player and Bose 16 speakers.

A regular cd sounds better when I hear it on the NEO-6 mode cinema than a the same disk on DVD-Audio...

only the Eagles DVD-A sounds better...

I'm not buying anymore DVD-A disc until they get this high fidelity issue corrected.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Racer

I just picked up Jonatha Brooke's Steady Pull on DVD-A (acutually, it's a dual sided disc with DVD-A on one side and DVD-V on the other). I was unforutnately a little underwhelmed with the DVD-A portion. Steady Pull is a great album, but they didn't do a whole lot different with it when redoing it in DVD-A.

But I'll put in another plug for the Toy Matinee disc. It's available in both DTS and DVD-A formats. I only have the DTS one so far and it sounds fantastic.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Advanced

bought

diana krall's Look of Love - haven't compared it to the CD but you can certainly hear the distinct chanels. Her voice actually projects out of the front speaker - only problem is, spatially, you on the driver's side and not directly in the middle. Excellent CD if you're bringing your hot dates out - sets a really nice mood in the car at night with those pimping blue lights.

I play Shania's UP on CD and it just sounds awesome, I can't imagine the DVD-A being any better and am not gonna spend $18 to find out.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:03 AM
IVY LEAGUE

the bjork dvd-a is crazy...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Racer

Not to flame, but I have a bad feeling that the DVD-A technology will not become mainstream like CD's and DVD Video has. There is too much of a premium on the discs, and only a very few systems can play this format... Alas, I hope that this is not so...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 AM
Racer

It's the same with any new format. Remember when CDs first came out, all the same questions were raised. I agree that the fate of DVD-A or DTS music disc as the next generation format of choice is still up in the air, but I think over the lifespan of the times we'll actually have our TLs that it's not a huge concern.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Drifting

The only way for a format to thrive is for people to buy. When sales start making the marketing people take notice, then more titles will follow, and the quality will improve. It took 20 years for CD's to sound halfway listenable compared to analogue, so this is no different. The potential is there.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Linkin Park-Reanimation is a sweet DVD-A. I also have Metalica, but am not as impressed.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JetJock
The only way for a format to thrive is for people to buy. When sales start making the marketing people take notice, then more titles will follow, and the quality will improve. It took 20 years for CD's to sound halfway listenable compared to analogue, so this is no different. The potential is there.
I agree, but they need to have a better variety of music for the mainstream public to embrace the format. Older groups need to have their greatest hits put into the new format, rather than just an old album with a few good songs, and the rest junk.

.38 Special's Live at Sturgis is my favorite so far since they play both their newer music, and many of their greatest hits.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

I think it's a good idea to talk about this from time-to-time.

My best DVD-A is Steely Dan's Gaucho ("Hey Nineteen"). That's my best demo disc.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Racer

Funny, I was a little underwhelmed with Reanimation at first. I loved this disc in the original 2 channel format and was really looking forward to getting my hands on it in DVD-A. Perhaps my expectations were too high going in, but I came away unimpressed in the first couple listens. I just don't think they did a whole lot with the DVD-A conversion. There's some mice moments on it though.

But, this is just a great disc overall, in any format. One of my favorites.

Originally posted by Bartman
Linkin Park-Reanimation is a sweet DVD-A. I also have Metalica, but am not as impressed.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

I know this was mentioned some time ago, but any good recommendations on where to find a good selection of DVD-A and DTS discs at decent prices? There was a link to a website posted a while back, but I coundn't find it.

Originally posted by clafournaise
I think it's a good idea to talk about this from time-to-time.

My best DVD-A is Steely Dan's Gaucho ("Hey Nineteen"). That's my best demo disc.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

DOH! There's a bunch of links to places in the stcky dvd thread up at the top. Sorry for the stoopid question.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:08 PM
kfh
Cruisin'

Anyone with experience playing Dual/Flip DVDs

Does anyone out there have any experience playing the "new" dual or flip DVDs in the TL?

I know some of the early concerns of the format was that the discs may be too thick for some players.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:52 PM
6th Gear

Only one I own is REM - Document. Great album, even better in DVD-A. I'm hearing portions of songs I've never even noticed before. Stipe in the front with acoustic guitar, Mills backing vocals in back with lead guitar. Highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys REM.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by marquis
I know this was mentioned some time ago, but any good recommendations on where to find a good selection of DVD-A and DTS discs at decent prices? There was a link to a website posted a while back, but I coundn't find it.
http://www. d v d p l a n e t . com

Great prices, but all the good stuff is out of stock most of the time
Old 02-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Drifting

I love that Steely Dan album, I've had it for quite a while since I wanted to listen to the format at home. I think it was one of the first disc's that I got in the new format. I almost forgot that I have some lying around stuck in my CD collection at home. Guess I'll have to dig them out and load them in the car when it comes next month. Damm....I can't wait!!! For some reason, music sounds better when your "truckin"!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours - great, nice use of 5.1

Metallica, Metallica - very good, but in some parts I thought the CD actually has more realistic drum and guitar sounds.

Grover Washington, Limelight - Awesome for surround sound fans, sounds come from everywhere, very well done.

Linda Rondstadt - Great. I don't have the cd, so can't compare, but I don't even like this kind of music much, and I listen to it often because her voice sounds so amazing, like she is right next to you.

Vivaldi, Four Seasons - great, but not surround. All the sound comes from the front (do they do that on purpose?) Clarity is amazing.