Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a G35x for shits and giggles

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a G35x for shits and giggles

Well I am hoping and praying that the '06 TL will be AWD. That is what I am waiting for.

First impressions of the G
1. very nice smooth ride
2. overall power very good, tranny smooth (auto)
3. good handling, didn't feel jumpy
4. hate that butt ass ugly interior
5. navi system looks stupid popping up from the console
6. no bluetooth, voice rec, touch screen navi
7. heard a slight vibration from somewhere in the dash, not really a rattle.

The one I test drove had a sticker of over $42,000 due to the optional performance package, navi, full size spare, wing and ground effects, etc. Nice but not worth it for that ugly ass interior. It was just plain retarted.

If the car had the interior of the TL and all the features I would buy it. since it doesn't, I will be waiting for the SH-AWD TL to arrive.... hopefully within the next '05 -'06 model year.

my $.02
Old 06-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jackal2001
Well I am hoping and praying that the '06 TL will be AWD. That is what I am waiting for.

1. very nice smooth ride

The one I test drove had a sticker of over $42,000 due to the optional performance package, navi, full size spare, wing and ground effects, etc. Nice but not worth it for that ugly ass interior. It was just plain retarted.

If the car had the interior of the TL and all the features I would buy it. since it doesn't, I will be waiting for the SH-AWD TL to arrive.... hopefully within the next '05 -'06 model year.

my $.02
I did likewise last Saturday (Ray Catena). I agree with you on the first 3 points, with the 4th point being subjective. It's a VERY smooth ride; almost too smooth IMO.

The hide-a-way Navi screen is cool; IMO local driving doesnt necessitate the need for a 6.5" LCD screen in my face. So, a hidden Navi screen is fine by me. (Ironically, the I35 also has a popup Navi screen but the 5G Maxima has an indash one. go figure.)

Bluetooth is great only if you have a Bluetooth compatable phone. Most cellphone subscribers in NJ (for instance) are Verizon Wireless customers and VW doesnt support bluetooth. So to me, it's a neat but currently useless feature. (Verizon Wireless has the best Northeast coverage by far so I wouldnt think of changing carriers.)

Voice recognition is offered in the current M45/Q45, so I imagine that it'll trickle down to the G35 by next year or so.

All in all the G35X is a ride on par with the new TL with the added benefit of all wheel drive. My only complete is that its somewhat tight inside but what can I expect from an "executive express".

Peace.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Instructor

One thing about the navi on the G is you can't use it while the car is in motion. Now I am not sure about the TL. I don't know if it is the same or not.
The interior on the G that I drove was camel color. It wasn't the graphite interior, so maybe that is why I think it was ugly. The black may look better.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing about the navi on the G is you can't use it while the car is in motion. Now I am not sure about the TL. I don't know if it is the same or not.

what do you mean you can't use the navi when the car's in motion? what's the point of the navi then? yes, you can do whatever with the navi in the tl...in motion..in park..racing...whatever.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro

The interior on the G that I drove was camel color. It wasn't the graphite interior, so maybe that is why I think it was ugly. The black may look better.
I had a silver ext/black int. The camel interior in the TL is nicer; that I can attest to. But Black works. But if you felt it was ugly, no problem. Its your opinion and you're entitled to it.

The TL has more conservative styling so IMO it's easier to get acclimated with. The G35S doesnt have that virtue. (Heck! I still think the rear of my 5G Maxima is BUTT ugly. But I was more into its performance and the edge it has on quality vs the 2k2 Altima.)

If I had to pick between the two (which I may next Spring), it'd be difficult.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:09 PM
SOLD

1. very nice smooth ride

my $.02
Did you SHIT, GIGGLE, or BOTH?
When I drove one I giggled at the driving experience and shit at the interior of the car. :sqnteek:
Old 06-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigBluu
what do you mean you can't use the navi when the car's in motion? what's the point of the navi then? yes, you can do whatever with the navi in the tl...in motion..in park..racing...whatever.

When I was driving the car, the dealer tried inputting an address by use of the little knob. He then stated that you can't use the navi while the car is in motion. if you stop, you can input a destination and then follow the navi, but you can't do anything when you are actually going over 5mph. guess it is a safety issue by looking at the screen. personally i don't see how it would be possible to enter a destination while driving using the toggle switch to choose characters. impossible imho.

Since I told the dealer that I had no prefrence to color as I just wanted to drive it, it had the camel interior. I told him that i hated the color and he said that he did as well. I just don't like the layout as much as the TL.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:13 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

You can use the address book and points of interest while in motion. You cannot put in addresses. The address is fairly large so if you are lost, you can always go into the address book and go home (or work or whatever is in you address book).
Old 06-16-2004, 07:55 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
'06 TL will be AWD
Old 06-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Instructor

keeping my fingers crossed for '06. I only have to wait 14-15 months...... waiting sucks.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

I told him that i hated the color and he said that he did as well.
Just a point, had you told him that the interior makes you feel as gay (in the happy sense) as a tick on a dog's arse...he would say he does as well.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Instructor

You are probably right. We were talking about the TL and other cars and he said that he really liked the TL too. Kind of a younger guy. He said that the only thing that he didn't like about it was the torque steer. That is why I am waiting for the AWD TL to come out too.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Advanced

where are you getting the AWD TL in 2006 from?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Bluetooth is great only if you have a Bluetooth compatable phone. Most cellphone subscribers in NJ (for instance) are Verizon Wireless customers and VW doesnt support bluetooth. So to me, it's a neat but currently useless feature. (Verizon Wireless has the best Northeast coverage by far so I wouldnt think of changing carriers.)

Verizon has an awsome bluetooth phone scheduled for 7/6/04 i think. It's an awsome phone. Mot V710. A guy I know who works at Verizon is using it now.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=475
Old 06-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by redline
Verizon has an awsome bluetooth phone scheduled for 7/6/04 i think. It's an awsome phone. Mot V710. A guy I know who works at Verizon is using it now.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=475
If this could be confirmed i would wait for it , but verizon has put most of us off as long as I am willing to wait.

Just my .02
Old 06-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Originally Posted by Fionn
where are you getting the AWD TL in 2006 from?
Rumours say in 06 the TL may come as an option of AWD
Old 06-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DC5_Integra
Rumours say in 06 the TL may come as an option of AWD

Rumours say the TL may come with AWD? Now that sounds like rock-solid info.

:bigclap:
Old 06-17-2004, 11:10 PM
USC YQUE

Gotta love those rumours!

Originally Posted by emgarf
Rumours say the TL may come with AWD? Now that sounds like rock-solid info.

:bigclap:
Rumours also have "weapons of mass destruction" somewhere in Iraq!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:51 AM
A.K.A. Karl Hungus

Originally Posted by Eduardo
Rumours also have "weapons of mass destruction" somewhere in Iraq!
Oh aren't you so precious!

Nah, we actually found those. :fingerfawk:
Old 06-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

I owned a G35 coupe with Navi. You cannot set a destination while the car is in motion, unless you have already saved that desitination in your address book. It's a safety feature. It takes too much attention to set the address while driving. But, it does suck if you have a passenger in the car to do it.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by silveraccord
Oh aren't you so precious!

Nah, we actually found those. :fingerfawk:
Old 06-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Awd

RE: AWD -

I would doubt it. Remember, the TL is based on an Accord platform. A main reason for this is to keep costs down). So, if there isn't going to be an AWD Accord, I don't think there'd be an AWD TL. Just because the RL will have AWD doesn't mean it will be introduced on the TL. They have completely different platforms.

It would be AWESOME if it did come out with AWD.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by maller

I would doubt it. Remember, the TL is based on an Accord platform. A main reason for this is to keep costs down). So, if there isn't going to be an AWD Accord, I don't think there'd be an AWD TL. Just because the RL will have AWD doesn't mean it will be introduced on the TL. They have completely different platforms.

Honda did it before with the Odyssey (FWD-V6). The MDX and Pilot are both built on the Odyssey platform. (Granted, I dont know whether or not Honda developed the Odyssey platform with a future AWD setup in mind. )
Old 06-18-2004, 09:37 PM

Damn, $42k???
Old 06-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Instructor

I think I remember somewhere that someone said that they did a test of an AWD accord. It just doesn't make sense for accura to keep increasing the HP and leave it FWD. Believe me, the TL would have won 1st place in all car tests if it would have been RWD or AWD. If they put the TL down to 240HP let it run on regular 87 octane, I would buy it. 270HP FWD and I am sure they will be increasing the HP in the future, is just too much for FWD car.
JMHO
Old 06-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Here is the video of the SH-AWD system.... tested in the accord!

http://www.world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2004-4040401a/
Old 06-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

I read that the Accord Japan/Europe, Accord North America, new TL, and new RL are all designed from the same platform. I do not recall where I read it, but it was a reputable source. Platform sharing is a standard and wise practice in auto manufacturing these days. Personally I love it because design commonality provides two strong benefits: improved quality and reduced costs

- Joe Kotran
Old 06-19-2004, 11:36 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I think I remember somewhere that someone said that they did a test of an AWD accord. It just doesn't make sense for accura to keep increasing the HP and leave it FWD. Believe me, the TL would have won 1st place in all car tests if it would have been RWD or AWD. If they put the TL down to 240HP let it run on regular 87 octane, I would buy it. 270HP FWD and I am sure they will be increasing the HP in the future, is just too much for FWD car.
JMHO
Lets not get into this line of thought...The G35 would continue to win all tests if it had the TL interior :sqnteek: We'll see if Honda delivers the goods in 2 years. By then though, the GTR should be out to wreak havoc.