3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downsizing from a TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Before I bought the 08 I looked for something and concluded $ for $, real world mileage, total cost of ownership, driving satisfaction the TL was a bargain. It is a good car keep it and drive it till it dies. You might save surprising little with a more eco ride and you give up a lot.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Keep the TL....
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Civic Si and CRZ (Mugen!) get my vote. I feel you on insurance… mine is $280 per month with a clean driving record (Sentry).
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdumanski01
I guess I just hate civics.. Or I love rsxs, I don't know.

A civic cannot handle as good as my rsx.. I dont care what anyone says
you must because my 06si ran circles around rsx-s's. LSD stock on the Si too.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
^^ This.
Getting rid of a perfectly good car (at a loss especially) for something cheaper makes no sense (unless your car is 'used up' and ready to be replaced, which I doubt yours is). Cars are continually depreciating assets and if you sell, you will lose, big! I recall when gas became very expensive a few years ago that a lot of people were trading in their paid in full SUVs to get a Civic or equivalent. On the news, a cost analysis was done, and basically, it paid to keep the car/SUV you have unless gas hit something like $6-7/gallon (for a poor mpg vehicle like an SUV- I assume the price per gallon of gas would need to be higher to make it worth selling the TL-S since it gets better mileage). Personally, I'd keep what you have. Buying a different car even if it's more or less a direct trade for the TL will be a step down, and I assume you will have seller's remorse. For me, even if gas hit $10/gallon, I'd still be better off keeping what I have vs. selling and buying at a minimum, an $18-20K economy car (as that's the price floor with decent equipment for an economy car these days). If you sell, someone's going to get a nice TL-S at a decent discount.

Also, price shop around for insurance. Raise your deductible to lower the premium. Enjoy the benefits of no car payment.
Yes I want to sell the TL for something else. It sucks too much gas for my. I drive 300-400 miles a week and fill up at least once every 5-6 days. If I buy something new it will be a few years old and paid in full at time of purchase. I'm seriously considering a Mazda Miata. Flame on!!! Ive had a lot of cars in the last 20 years and do like the Acura/Honda brand but am not stuck on them.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Its been 4 months since you started the thread. Have you looked into any specific cars? Again, if you only care about MPG, go pick up a hybrid!

Or if you got the cash, Tesla Model S.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameisraj
I feel you on insurance… mine is $280 per month with a clean driving record (Sentry).
OUCH!!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JackSampson
Yes I want to sell the TL for something else. It sucks too much gas for my. I drive 300-400 miles a week and fill up at least once every 5-6 days. If I buy something new it will be a few years old and paid in full at time of purchase. I'm seriously considering a Mazda Miata. Flame on!!! Ive had a lot of cars in the last 20 years and do like the Acura/Honda brand but am not stuck on them.
Good time to sell the TL-S if you you want something new. The 08 get lots of people checking it out, asking questions and it is stock. I obviously don't believe in selling reasonably economical, highly reliable and very fun cars.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
if you're considering a miata, consider a FRS or BRZ when it comes out. Saw an FRS on the road the other day and it is a head turner. 24 mpg city, 30 hwy but we all know that can be mitigated with an light foot.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I upgraded from an 06 Mazda3 and they are very reliable, economical cars and it was pretty fun to drive.

In fact, my Mazda3 had less squeaks and rattles than my TL.

I guess it goes to show you the difference in a car made in Japan and a car made in the US (even if it's a japanese make).
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually smaller cars do have higher insurance rates like Civics. I remember when I had that car few years back insurance was high due to teenagers buying the car and hooking them up and crashing them. People like myself with good driving record ended up paying for higher insurance rate on these cars
Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 PM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would keep the TYPE S since it is payed off...you'll lose $ through the process when you sell it while purchasing a new car...you are feeling short term pangs of guilt when paying at the pump, but if you drive as much as you say you do, i don't think you'll be filling up THAT much less than you are now. A civic isn't a Kia sub-compact...they hold some pretty high resale prices for even a few years used.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
It's not really worth the downgrade. I average 21-24 in the TL in a mix of city/hwy. You'd be giving up a lot of creature comforts for just a few MPG. I have a Miata as a spare car and I will say after driving it for a week straight, I came running back to the TL. I still switch it up, but the gas savings between the two is moot.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
Its been 4 months since you started the thread. Have you looked into any specific cars? Again, if you only care about MPG, go pick up a hybrid!

Or if you got the cash, Tesla Model S.

No hybrid for me. I have test drove a few newer miata's 08 and 10. I think it is also just about time for a change of cars. I've had my TL for nearly 3 years. I don't need a big family sedan. I've checked insurance rates and they are nearly the same. The car will be paid in full at time of purchase.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GF just bought a 2012 TDI Sportswagen and its awesome. A TDI Golf would make a great daily driver. High MPG and 240 torques! Plus a nice 6MT. I was tempted to get the Golf but it would look lame with matching cars, the Sportswagon has the same front end and I dont want a Jetta.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM

TDI Golf would be a nice. If MPG is what you are after - how about a Volt?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Threads like this are amusing since the premise is based on feelings rather than facts. There's no mention of insurance deductible or insurance cost for that matter to make an assessment.

You need to do a cost-benefit analysis on this trade because it could take you years to yield any real savings.

Here are some tangibles of switching to a new/different car:

1. New/used: sales tax - just the tax savings will buy a lot of gas. Yes this could be offset by a dealer trade-in; however, you can get a better price selling the car yourself. The difference could be a $1000 dollars or more which by the way buys a lot of gas.

2. New: Depreciation - the first year of ownership will cost you at least $1000 which also buys a lot of gas. Years 2-4 will also cost more so add another $1000.

3. New/used: buying a different car almost always leads to additional purchases to outfit the car to your needs- roof racks, car covers, window tinting, etc. Again- this stuff will buy a lot of gas.

4. Used: what happens if you wind up buying a lemon? You waste a lot of time making the car stable as in trips to the dealer and such. Again a lot of gas and time too.

Insurance is a wild card because there's a chance a cheaper car doesn't save you as much money as you think. With a paid-off car you have the option of going with liability which I wouldn't recommend but it's an option. Insurance is also based on claims and some cars (like Civics) may have more claims or higher bodily injury factors than the TL that are driven by more mature drivers and may be garaged.

Why don't you drive less or try to carpool? If you're renting it might make sense to live closer to work so you're not driving 300-400 miles a week. You can always save a lot going with a higher deductible- that's an easy adjustment to save money if you're a good driver.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 06-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
On a side note, if you do want to buy another car. I would actually look at the new Nissan Altima 2.5s. That car would be a lot closer to the comfort, looks, performance of a TL-S than a Civic would. I hear they get decent mileage too.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I once bought a brand new rdx for 38k... After only 8 months, i traded it in straight for a 07tl-s stick... Lost 10k on the deal... No regrets whatsoever.... The rdx auto was sooo boring... If the rdx came out in stick, i would keep it

If you want to trade in the tl because you are unhappy with the car itself because of its qualities then maybe its worth it

If you want to get rid of it because you cant afford it, is the savings worth the money you will lose on the sale/trade?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And i agree, inquire with esurance. I use them to insure my nsx and tl full coverage and i still eat everyday haha
Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Threads like this are amusing since the premise is based on feelings rather than facts. There's no mention of insurance deductible or insurance cost for that matter to make an assessment.

You need to do a cost-benefit analysis on this trade because it could take you years to yield any real savings.

Here are some tangibles of switching to a new/different car:

1. New/used: sales tax - just the tax savings will buy a lot of gas. Yes this could be offset by a dealer trade-in; however, you can get a better price selling the car yourself. The difference could be a $1000 dollars or more which by the way buys a lot of gas.

2. New: Depreciation - the first year of ownership will cost you at least $1000 which also buys a lot of gas. Years 2-4 will also cost more so add another $1000.

3. New/used: buying a different car almost always leads to additional purchases to outfit the car to your needs- roof racks, car covers, window tinting, etc. Again- this stuff will buy a lot of gas.

4. Used: what happens if you wind up buying a lemon? You waste a lot of time making the car stable as in trips to the dealer and such. Again a lot of gas and time too.

Insurance is a wild card because there's a chance a cheaper car doesn't save you as much money as you think. With a paid-off car you have the option of going with liability which I wouldn't recommend but it's an option. Insurance is also based on claims and some cars (like Civics) may have more claims or higher bodily injury factors than the TL that are driven by more mature drivers and may be garaged.

Why don't you drive less or try to carpool? If you're renting it might make sense to live closer to work so you're not driving 300-400 miles a week. You can always save a lot going with a higher deductible- that's an easy adjustment to save money if you're a good driver.
Well said (typed)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems like OP just wants to downsize, money/gas prices do not seem to be that great of a factor as originally presumed?

2008 Miata mpg is around 22/27 according to a quick google search. If you are doing lots of city driving currently then you would see costs savings of maybe 7mpg but no savings in highway driving. TLs get great mpg in highway driving. You will lose that 'saved gas money' on the trade in/buy/sell process. But again, I think OP has decided he wants to downsize and he wants to try something different. Nothing wrong with that.

3G TL is a great car but every car is a compromise of sorts. The 3G TL could be seen as the ultimate compromise because it's not the best in any category (except for style heh), but it's great at everything which is why many of us bought it. We thought that for the money it just didn't make sense to get anything else. But that's only if we needed 4 doors, needed seating for 5, roomy interior and trunk, etc - insert your own reasons/needs. Once your needs and desires change, so does your approach on what kind of vehicle suits you best.

If OP is more interested in reliable, fun, decent mileaged 2 seaters then perhaps we can help him to that end. Miata definitely fits the bill. Civic Si Coupe, Toyota/Subaru FRS BRZ, Hyundai Genesis Coupe are all 2+2 seaters but are relatively comparable just to name a few. My only experience with a 2 door 2 seater is my 2003 350z. I absolutely love it. It's much more raw and unrefined compared to my TL but that's part of the charm. Rear wheel drive, tons of torque down low which makes it feel much faster and more fun than the TL. Imagine you took the TL, shrunk it down to 2 doors 2 seats, made it lighter, removed any sound deadening material, added an awesome sounding exhaust, gave it more torque lower in the rev range, made it rear wheel drive...well thats the 350z. Very affordable used and tons of fun. If you want more refinement then maybe try a g35 coupe. I've yet to try a 370z but if you can find one in your price range then it might be worth a shot to try. Has an automatic rev matching feature built as part of the manual transmission so you get the perfect downshift every time apparently, sounded cool but it can be turned off as well.

There's no point in convincing OP to keep his TL because his needs and lifestyle no longer require something like the TL. But if he needs suggestions or recommendations on other vehicles then fire away. Good luck JackSampson!