Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't you wave to other TL owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink TL-Forum Reader Signal :: Quickly press emergency blinker twice

Same happen here San Diego, not even one TL driver respond back to my wave or nod.

Regarding the TL-Forum Reader signal, I decide this is what I'm going to do. Everytime I see another 3rd Generation TL, I think i'm gonna quickly press my emergency blinker twice. (blink blink to the other TL) This way no confusing hand gesture, no high beam, no tapping on the brakes.

What do you guys think ??
Old 06-03-2004, 06:49 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest I havent had the chance to wave to another TL, I have yet to see another one on the road in my area. Actually kinda nice really.

although, I have washed it twice so far, and both times I was out washing I had a few people walk by and make nice comments. And today while washing had a nieghbor from down the street walk up and ask some questions and give some nice comments. Kinda funny, he said "Too bad I could never afford one" I kinda felt bad.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Racer

I do. The older generation TL owners are not as nice so I don't look their way, but recently saw my first TL which looked like mine. Spoilers, suspension, etc. They waved and I waved back.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by w1n78
usually when i see other TLers on the highway we drive next to each other and take up 2 lanes and chill until one of us gets off the highway.
That sucks. I hate it when people block the lanes like that. Don't do that. It's not a fast lane it's a passing lane. Either pass or get the fuck over. :banghead:
Old 06-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Just an FYI. We "geezers", especially those of us who live in the snowbelt, have learned that DMM, like silver, is very forgiving when dirty (i.e. winter- most of the time). Dark colors are gorgeous when clean, unsightly when not. Lots of upkeep - been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Waves? Miata drivers do it religiously; I think it goes back to similar behavior that occured when the British ruled the sports car world. TL? Haven't had the opportunity, but have thought about it. When I drove the Bimmer, all I got were glares, so I'm still in rehab.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
That sucks. I hate it when people block the lanes like that. Don't do that. It's not a fast lane it's a passing lane. Either pass or get the fuck over. :banghead:
If ever there was a legit reason for road rage, THAT'S IT!!!! That definitely makes me want to Earnhardt someone doing that!! (And I'm talking Sr., not Little E!!)

Peace
Old 06-03-2004, 09:17 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by DavePA
Just an FYI. We "geezers", especially those of us who live in the snowbelt, have learned that DMM, like silver, is very forgiving when dirty (i.e. winter- most of the time). Dark colors are gorgeous when clean, unsightly when not. Lots of upkeep - been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Waves? Miata drivers do it religiously; I think it goes back to similar behavior that occured when the British ruled the sports car world. TL? Haven't had the opportunity, but have thought about it. When I drove the Bimmer, all I got were glares, so I'm still in rehab.
What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? ---> WIth a BMW, the PRICK is on the inside.....no offense to you personally, but my neighbors have 2 Beems and the whole family are assholes. One night pulling out of my own street the mother came up the street in her X5 and flashed me because she thought I had brights on. The Bi-xenon's showed her what bright really was! It seems beemers especially suv blind people alot more than our cars so I don't know what the issue was. Add this to the fact that my street speed limit is 25 and her and the daughter zoom by my house at about 50 everyday in a residential.....anyways, here in Denver I also have only seen a couple other TL's, not too common YET. I have gotten a lot of looks when my car is clean, but with a 30% full tinted windshield and limo tint all around, maybe they just wonder who is inside(NBP)? I saw a SSM on I-70 and double honked when I went by and they turned the brights on and left them on! Good thing for that tint....Most people do not notice anything around here, they are too busy talking on the phone while driving or just have their heads up their ass in ignorance
Old 06-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Advanced

No offense taken. I've had BMW's for 6 years and bought them for what they did (Sorry, no one else nails the ride/handling conundrum like they do), not for others' perceptions of the owner. One nice thing about being rid of it is all the "baggage" and misconceptions that went along with ownership. One positive note, though. I made it a point to be an extra-courteous driver, allowing people to pull in front of me, etc. in an attempt to disspell some of the universal contempt that is harbored against drivers of the marque, not unlike you and your neighbors. If they drove Toyotas, they'd probably still be assholes, but just a little more tolerable.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
im usually driving way too fast to have them notice a wave
Old 06-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Ahoy, Amigo!

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
If ever there was a legit reason for road rage, THAT'S IT!!!! That definitely makes me want to Earnhardt someone doing that!! (And I'm talking Sr., not Little E!!)

Peace
Here in Metro Miami, the standard driver-to-driver greeting is 1) a finger wave :thefinger , 2) a Spanish expletive :argue: , and 3) a shot across the bow from a 9MM. :ar15:

On my motorcycle, to another m/c, we alter this with a sneer and a thumbs-up instead of the finger.

In my Jeep Wrangler, I'm too busy trying to keep my fillings in to wave, so I just smile. It's a good idea to keep both hands on the wheel.

In my BMW, I ignore those less fortunate or, if it's a M-B, I shoot a moon.

I can't tell you what I do with other TL's since the only ones I have seen were in parking lots and empty (2).

One I saw today at Costco in Pompano Beach was WDP (white) with the front, rear, and side ground-effects thingees and the little lip spoiler. It had a quarter sized piece of paint missing on its right upper bumper cover and it is black underneath. I was embarrassed so I covered my eyes and walked past quickly hoping that my TL did not see it.

J/k about the moon. Actually, we do a Sieg Heil. :lol1:

Guten tag,
XP
Old 06-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Racer

i either give the a , "V" , a nod, honking twice or my fog lights. so far i've got nothing but the same back. usually when i see other TLers on the highway we drive next to each other and take up 2 lanes and chill until one of us gets off the highway. maybe it's just a VA thing?
Maybe just a VA thing.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PetesTL
In Chicago, any hand gesture to a fellow motorist results in a complimentary middle-finger.

That was the case when I lived in NYC. LA people just don't care or too laid back to pull out the middle finger. In LA, I've gotten decent responses, smiles, waves, stuff like that.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Racer

Does it really matter anymore?? I used to try to give some kind of gesture to a fellow TL'er, but now see so many on the damn road, its like no biggie!! Sucks, but its true!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:44 AM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

So far in my seeing other TL owners around the Simi Valley, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks area I have had only 1 good experience. I caught up to a Green one and the guy kept speeding up in pulese like he was trying to show me whats up. I finally got next to him on a 2 lane section of the highway and I passed him by a little. He caught back up and looked over and gave me a big thumbs up (I had just gotten my full A-Spec installed and he was stock). We ran almost side by side for a while and then I had to get off to get some gas.

However, at least 5 other times I pull up next to another 04 TL Driver and its some moron on the phone, or some lady who could care less what car shes in.

But I have to admit, I do tent to hate on the 5AT drivers on the road. When I see a TL, the first thing I do is to try and scope a look at the front brakes. If I dont see that Black Caliper, I usually just scoff and drive off leaving the Grocery Getter in my rear view. Its all about the 6MT Baby!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:12 PM
clintrob

This morning on my way to the office, I pulled onto the highway behind a black TL, then look in my rearview, there is a maroon one right behind me!! We had 3 in a line, crusing about 70mph.. I gave them all a wave, until we each took our exits... it was kinda cool... black, silver, red all lined up..
Old 09-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by criss
I wave to any TL I see but usally get no response back. I work in the Tysons Corner area and there must be a TL on every corner now.
Have to agree, also stuck here in Tyson Gulch, VA. TLs' were rare until mid-summer, but now see them all the time. The media always tell us how affluent we are in the DC area, so I guess the TL is the new Volkswagen around here.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Racer

I get respect from other cars a lot mroe than a person with any gen TL. I see lots of 2nd gen TL's, but get nothnig from them. Had some guy pull up to me today in the bronx and gave me a compliment on the car and asked if i wanna trade. Got prob 0 compliments from 1/2/3 gen TL owners, but get them all the time from people with other cars.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dutchml
Passed a DMM 04 TL at 10 mph in a shopping center parking lot and gave him a "V" as I went by and he looked at me like I had two heads. Is it just the impotent, constipated geezers that drive gold cars that act like that? (Actually, I think I was older than he was!!) Or do they just not like RRP? What kind of response do you get from other 04 TL drivers?
In the Chicago area I have yet to have another TL owner even look over when they go by or sit at a light. My buddy has an STI, every single Subaru WRX he goes by waves. Maybe it's just the type of car, who knows. I took his car for a drive and sure enough, WRX owners waved....
Old 09-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by baby_igor
Have to agree, also stuck here in Tyson Gulch, VA. TLs' were rare until mid-summer, but now see them all the time. The media always tell us how affluent we are in the DC area, so I guess the TL is the new Volkswagen around here.
I see a bunch now. Not too suprising since I also see a bunch of 2nd gens.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Instructor

On my way to work everyday i see about 2 or 3 TL's. The exact same ones! i alawys remember this one Black one with chrome rims. Some old guy with a mustache drives it. I think??? if ur on this bored... scratch the old comment but i usually wave or give them a nice lil nod.

Today morning on Santa Monica and Sawtelle i saw a guy with an anthracite and chrome rims. I gave him a lil wave. and he nodded back.

It seems like the people without license plates are usually more enthusiastic about it. Once u've had the car for a few months, u dont care.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Team NightHawk VP

i live in nj and i saw at least 10 today, just driving around town. theyre everywhere now, it used to be rare 6 months ago lol
Old 09-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cliff
i live in nj and i saw at least 10 today, just driving around town. theyre everywhere now, it used to be rare 6 months ago lol
3 other people in my apartment complex have one now...ugh..
Old 09-24-2004, 03:33 PM
ZHP 4CE

Since I still drool over TL's, sometimes I'll give a TL driver the thumbs up when stopped next to them at intersections, but only if it's someone who looks like they'd understand and appreciate it. Most of the time, they'll smile and nod thanks, but I've gotten a couple questioning looks from people wondering why the a-hole in the BMW is giving them the thumbs up.

Last week I was at the gas station and there was a guy filling up his NBP TL on the other side of the pump. When I complimented him on his car, he was pretty surprised since he thought that BMW drivers tend to look down on other cars.

I get and give waves to other BMW drivers all the time. Yeah, there are a lot of pricks and snobs who buy them just for the name, but there are also a lot of enthusiasts with whom it's pretty cool to share the experience of owning and driving a BMW. I think you also find that kind of attitude with Subie, Z, and Wrangler owners as well.

BTW, anyone in Houston with an '04 SSM TL who parks in the garage at 1001 McKinney downtown? If so, I park a few cars down from you every day.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i either give the a , "V" , a nod, honking twice or my fog lights. so far i've got nothing but the same back. usually when i see other TLers on the highway we drive next to each other and take up 2 lanes and chill until one of us gets off the highway. maybe it's just a VA thing?

people in Va are not laid back like people in Cali
Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by baby_igor

yea but you dont see that many NBP ones.....
Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 AM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

What age is a "geezer"?

Or is it a mindset?

Tim Barrett (A Maybe Geezer?)
Old 11-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Bay Area AZ Group Rulez!

Originally Posted by jtruman
I would wave, but there are getting to be too many TLs around here... on my way to work, about 3 miles on the freeway, I saw 3 different TLs on the other side of the freeway.
Yep more and more TLs over here. I'll try to wave when I get the chance.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Advanced

hello fellow TL owners how are you doing yeah i wave to TL driving by also beep the horn too lol
Old 11-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
No - we haven't been properly introduced, and it would be unseemly (I am following 19th Century social protocol). I like my privacy, and appreciate the gesture in kind.

Waaayyyyy too many of these cars - There are only 10k or less S2000's brought to North America, and I do not wave, honk, scream, moon, or otherwise gesture to them.

My 1995 NSX-T was one of 713 ever made - of the few of any year I even saw from time to time, I do not recall any one of them getting frantic. Driving one of those cars has a way of making trivial pursuit low on the priority list.

Wave away - in fact, here is a pro-active displays of love and affection if I ever bump into all y'all. Just to show I am not stuck-up:
:cheer:
Old 11-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wave to other TL drivers? Ha! I'd probably do a handspring. I have had my TL for a little over a month and have seen only one other one in 2000 miles of driving including several trips between Seattle and Portland. Rare as Passenger Pigeons up here.