Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Tint Your Windows!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vtechbrain
The car does not need it anyway. Tints should just be illegal. My2cts.

What are you, communist??? Didn't know they had that ideology in the "Caribbean." This is America and people have what we call freedom. If you don't want to tint your windows, fine. Don't do it and don't tell others what they do and don't need.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Warranty might not cover, but if it was dealer installed the dealer has to warrant the repairs. So that would mean either a new tint or a moleskin.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Racer

Get the moleskin installed when you tint your windows.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

how the hell was this revived?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acuraddict
After five days, my tint has multiple vertical scratches caused by something inside the door. What should I do? Acura needs to address this, and fast. Lots of dealerships are tinting the cars, and this is going to be an ongoing problem.

Any suggestions on how to approach my dealer for support in getting Acura to take responsibility? Even though I did not get the windows tinted by the dealer, the fact is that this would have happened regardless of who did the tinting. I had mine done at a shop that regularly does work for Jaguar, Ford, Saturn and other dealers in their neighborhood, and they've been in business for 14 years. This same shop did both of my other TLs and nothing like this ever happened.

I'm not happy, and I need advice.
Let's deal with Acura addressing this problem - ain't gonna happen! What you add an aftermarket item, its your responsibility. If the tint was dealership installed or was part of the sale, you probably have a legitmate gripe. You've been in this forum for awhile and you cannot tell me you haven't read or noticed threads/posts dealing with tint scratching. The members here have recommended the use of moleskin on the inner wiper blade to prevent scratches and so far, it has worked. One other option mentioned was to remove the blade itself and this was verified by one of the mods. One other thing, did you ask the tinter about the possibility of scratching and the use of moleskin? I asked the folks who did my tint, they knew of moleskin as well as the problems encountered with the TL. Another source of info about tinting is tintdude.com and most of folks there are tinters who have years of experience. Here are some excerpts.
They need felt. Luckily the panels pop right off after removing a few screws. (For those of you who aren't frickin' sissies when it comes to pulling panels.
I had two of these come back for scratches so I put felt on now. I told my Acura dealer about this and how I have a solution for it and they told me that's why we will only use you guys because we are always going the extra mile for their customers. Sweet.
I just put a thin strip on both wipers. Works fine.
You better felt those 04 TL gaskits. If you dont it will scratch. PPF on the bumper is a main in the ass, imho
BTW, here's the link to the message board and click on 2004 Acura TL and 2005 Acura TL.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:27 AM
321 whp SAE

MOLESKIN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 AM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bklynpanman
MOLESKIN!!!!!!!!!!

This seems like the obvious answer. After all the scratches I have read about on this forum and how MOLESKIN stops it all, why would anyone in their right mind tinit without it????
Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
In California the old code (not sure if it has been updated) is that you can tint the back windows as dark as you want to (heck you could paint them black and completely cover them up if you wanted to)...as long as you have two side mirrors...

The reasoning is that they cannot ask more from cars than any other vehicle... And there are vans, trucks and semi-trucks that do not have back windows at all...

The front windows are a different story... You can't even touch the glass with clear film is my understanding... (again, this is old information, so this may have changed in the last 10 years or so)...
Old 02-11-2005, 06:10 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JackSprat01

What are you, communist??? Didn't know they had that ideology in the "Caribbean." This is America and people have what we call freedom. If you don't want to tint your windows, fine. Don't do it and don't tell others what they do and don't need.

O good greif.... :

He didn't say you or anyone else "do or don't need it",,,. He made a simple comment that "he felt" the TL doesn't require it...
Should tint be against the law? If its application proves to be a hazard to the masses, then yes. "Laws" in America stem from what benefits us all. In a communist society however, that isn't always the case......

Read, "comprehend", then open mouth and/or attack your keyboard.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by moreace
His argument was just fine. You are the one he needs to get a clue. He was not comparing vidibility issues, but necessity issues. He did not mean rear defrosters or side defroster hinder vision at all. He was moving towards the fact that they are for use primarily in colder climates. You think somebody in California cares if the car has side mirror defrosters? Then he was nice enough to ackowledge that he knows the entire world does not live in these warm climates and that they are needed for cars that exist where it snows. Seeing as he does not experience winter there is no way he would know snow chains are illegal, probably just saw them in movies. Further he is right in everyway about the tint and i agree 100%. If you have to roll down your window then maybe you should consider glasses or a lighter tint. Legal limit in someplace is 35%, give this is not everywhere, but if you tint at 35% you get all the benefits he mentioned about tint to some degree and can still see fine. I doubt you would have to roll down your window at all at night. A number of my friends have it. Next time why don't you stop and think before saying something stupid about a poster and accusing him of saying something, that if you took the time to read and understand, you would realize he wasn't saying at all. to stay in the spirit of the thread, I'm not attacking you, but c'mon, respect your fellow posters and use your brain a little, that's what it is there for. You're whole post kinda sucks lovemytl. I understand people who take both positions for or against tint, but you have no weight, argument, or common sense on your side. You should know when you are "running the curb" by the way. Preach on Z factor, nice post

20% will hinder your visibility. I have 35% and no problems at all
Old 02-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Instructor

No need to tint the windows. Why do you want to futz up your car anyway?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To tint or not...

I live in Florida and would like to tint my car to keep the interior cooler and avoid sun/heat damage to the interior of the car. Unfortunately after reading the numerous post about scratching, moleskin etc., I have decided avoid further headaches and not tint my car despite being able to use moleskin to prevent scratching. Acura should have designed the windows to be tinted without damage but it's too late now.

I work in medicine and use moleskin as padding to protect body parts from pressure. I don't know if the moleskin being used by the tint installers is the same thing I use for medical purposes. It is simply a padded material with an adhesive backing and is really (imo) just cheap crap. It may be ok to use between toes or to pad a cast for a few weeks but it's nothing I want installed on my car and expect to last for years. I'll pass on the tinting
Old 02-11-2005, 11:11 PM
9th Gear

I love tinted windows...I think they enhance the look of the car along with the cooling effect. I had my windows tinted Thursday and I'm still giving them time to settle before I try to roll them down.....will keep ya'll posted on the effects
Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 AM
professional TL driver

i have hda tint since i bought the car, the dealership actually set the appointment up with the shop and paid!!!! no problems yet 13000 miles and almost a year.... windows up and down a couple times a week
Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 AM
3rd Gear

I went to a tinting shop that the Acura dealer recommended. The gentleman seems to know what he was talking about. He said something to the effect that there is a much harder roller inside the door that holds the window in place. He said that he would need to remove the door panels to be able to put something on the rollers in order to prevent the tint from being stratched if a grain of sand or something got down inside the door. This might explain the reason he was charging 300 dollars to tint the windows. That and the fact that he recommended ceramic tint due to the XM radio's antenna being in the rear window.

I went to get a quote from another tint installer and they mentioned nothing about having to deal with the rollers that are inside the door. If you are going to get tint, the installer should be telling you that they have to deal with the rollers, not the other way around.

I am still debating on whether I want to tint the car. But if I do, it will be with the installer who knows about the issue with TL windows even though he was charging more.

I have an 05 TL w/navi ABP w/camel interior - one week old and I've already put 500 miles on it
Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

My driver's side window tint got scratched by the guide rollers and the dealer replaced the tint and fixed the roller issue. They replaced the tint because I had them put it on when I bought the car from them. I always have the dealer install the tint so that it's covered under their warranty. Of course, they contract some outside company to actually install it, but they gave me no grief about fixing the problem.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rod-in-atl
I went to a tinting shop that the Acura dealer recommended. The gentleman seems to know what he was talking about. He said something to the effect that there is a much harder roller inside the door that holds the window in place. He said that he would need to remove the door panels to be able to put something on the rollers in order to prevent the tint from being stratched if a grain of sand or something got down inside the door. This might explain the reason he was charging 300 dollars to tint the windows. That and the fact that he recommended ceramic tint due to the XM radio's antenna being in the rear window.

I went to get a quote from another tint installer and they mentioned nothing about having to deal with the rollers that are inside the door. If you are going to get tint, the installer should be telling you that they have to deal with the rollers, not the other way around.

I am still debating on whether I want to tint the car. But if I do, it will be with the installer who knows about the issue with TL windows even though he was charging more.

I have an 05 TL w/navi ABP w/camel interior - one week old and I've already put 500 miles on it
Did they recommend Custom Sun Control on Cobb Pkwy? They know everything about tinting Tl's. Here's a link: http://www.customsuncontrol.com/
I assume by your user name you are in Atlanta.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rod-in-atl

First thing, it's not a roller but a hard rubber piece with an upper and lower blade installed in the door and that was determined to be the cause of scratching tints. The cure to that was to install a strip called moleskin (a piece of felt with adhesive backing). Many forum members have used moleskin and will confirm it does prevent scratching. Most tinters charge about $25 per door or you can DIY and it is quite simple. Again most forum members did it themselves. He is correct saying the door panels have to be taken off to make the install easier. Click here for info on moleskin.

If you have Navi, it is recommended by Acura to use a Ceramic film. Ceramic film is more expensive than dyed or metallic film. The GPS antenna is located below the deck shelf of the rear window. Metallic film interferes with the GPS signal, however some forum members have used metallic film on their TL's with no ill effects and others have had problems with it. TheIt will not interfere with your XM reception as the antenna is on top of the roof.

Most tinters should know about moleskin and if they have been tinting TL's, they should also be aware of the scratching.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
If you have Navi, it is recommended by Acura to use a Ceramic film. Ceramic film is more expensive than dyed or metallic film. The GPS antenna is located below the deck shelf of the rear window. Metallic film interferes with the GPS signal, however some forum members have used metallic film on their TL's with no ill effects and others have had problems with it.
I have Formula One 20% metallic all the way around and last Friday checked my Satellite info ... I was tracking between 7 and 8 satellites concurrently ... if the metallic tint was interfering it certainly wasn't noticeable.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

This is a well known problem with all new ('04 and newer) Acuras and Hondas. I had the same thing happen with my '04 Accord last week. The guy at the tint shop said that every acura and honda had come back with the same complaints. The problem lies with the rubber sealer that presses against the glass. If any dirt, sand, etc. get down there in between the plastic piece and the window it WILL scratch the film. The only solutions I have seen people trying is either removing the strip (causes road noise) or placing a felt like material over the plastic piece.. to act as a cushion. On my car.. I am going to try the second solution (the felt)... only b/c the wind/road noise in my car now is really annoying. So the answer is, yes, the tint WILL scratch if you don't modify the rubber window pieces. Sucks, but until honda/acura decides to redesign that specific part, we all just have to wait.

Edit: Crap... I just read Hawhyen51's post.. so.. um .. yeah.. what he said
Old 02-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Advanced

yea i got the scratches to my friends and they are pretty long it sucks!!! im pissed
Old 02-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Cruisin'

Moleskin...?

So can someone tell me where to get the moleskin? I am having mine re-tinted and I want to try this method. Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

I sell mole skin below.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:56 AM
people die violently.

i have lumar tint and been tinted for 3 weeks now, roll them up and down everyday and nothing. i think it`s who tint your windows and get the job done right with perfect quality tint.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Advanced

I live in Florida,, and tint is NOT a necessity! Never had it, can't see spending the money for it.

I am totaly against tint on the front door windows, for a safety reason. As part of the MSF traing I've had (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) I watch drivers heads at stop signs to make sure they are paying attention to their driving and not playing with their cell phone or stereo. I have been saved from being run over by drivers pulling out, because I've slowed down, changed lanes, or stopped when I've seen they were not paying attention. With tinted windows I cannot see what they are doing. I find it extremely scary when I'm on my motorcycle. Just because someone is smart enough to buy a good car like the TL does not mean they are smart enough to drive safely.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:16 PM
is still kickin!

i also have vertical scratches on my tints, but are really small cant see them unless i point them out, luckily i got a lifetime warrenty on em
Old 03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Are you talking about tint on your motorcycle or tint on your TL? So you say it's not a necessity on a TL because when you are on your motorcycle you can't see the driver's face and discern his intentions?

I live in Florida, and here or anywhere else where sun shines hotly in the summer, tint is a necessity. It keeps the car cool, it keeps glare out of your eyes, it protects the interior (especially the leather), and it also looks nice, which is just an added benefit.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by HiG4s
I live in Florida,, and tint is NOT a necessity! Never had it, can't see spending the money for it.
I find it extremely scary when I'm on my motorcycle. Just because someone is smart enough to buy a good car like the TL does not mean they are smart enough to drive safely.
Yes, and other TL owners are smart enough to tint their TLs and not drive motorcycles. If you're that scared, get off that damn thing before you end up as a big bug on someone's windshield.

Yes, and I agree. Don't tint your motorcycle.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't the scratces occur because you dont have moleskins?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HiG4s

I am totaly against tint on the front door windows, for a safety reason. As part of the MSF traing I've had (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) I watch drivers heads at stop signs to make sure they are paying attention to their driving and not playing with their cell phone or stereo. I have been saved from being run over by drivers pulling out, because I've slowed down, changed lanes, or stopped when I've seen they were not paying attention. With tinted windows I cannot see what they are doing. I find it extremely scary when I'm on my motorcycle. Just because someone is smart enough to buy a good car like the TL does not mean they are smart enough to drive safely.
I applaud you for your safety awareness. However, there are riders who think they are always in the right and many of us have seen them on the roads weaving in between cars and that sort of thing. I wish MSF training was mandatory. And you're absolutely correct that many people in autos do fiddle around and not pay attention to their surroundings. We all wish for more stringent laws regarding those folks who use cell phones and do other idiotic things while operating a motor vehicle. Because auto windows are tinted does not mean the driver is not aware of what's going on. As stated in previous posts, we opt to tint for many reasons; to keep the car cooler, reduce glare and enhance it's looks.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
The car does not need it anyway. Tints should just be illegal. My2cts.

This is a free country. You need to calm down.