3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does Your Dealer Always Provide a Loaner?
Yes
77.96%
No
22.04%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Does Your Dealer Give You a Loaner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Your Dealer Give You a Loaner?

I bought my 2007 TL-S a couple of months ago and was told by my sales person that "Of course, we give loaners when you bring your car in for service." His reply to my question gave me the no doubt about it response I was looking for. It's almost like he said, "You're buying an Acura, not a Ford Focus...you obviously never owned a premium car before...loaners go without saying!"

So, I scheduled my first A1 service the other day and was politely told by the service rep that loaners are not given out for what is considered, "minor service." If it were major repair work covered under warranty then a loaner would be granted.

I'm shocked...do your dealers provide loaners for oil change service and other such routine maintenance? Is my expectation of receiving a loaner everytime I bring my car in unrealistic?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

My Acura dealer did give me Acura loaners. In the past I owned 5 Audi's and always got rentals which they covered the cost directly.

It doesn't really bother me either way. I think getting a set of wheels is really all that matters. I know some will complain that their loaner isn't as good as their car, but come on it's not like you're driving a Maybach or something
Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd get one if I dropped it off for a wash n vacuum. (BUT I never let them clean my car). Honestly, regardless of what it's in for, covered or out of pocket, I get a loaner.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
My dealer gives me a loaner when my Tl is getting serviced, but i never get an acura TL TSX, etc. But they give me a Hyundai. I asked him do i get a TSX or Tl for a loaner they say no!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAHAHA!!!! Loaner in PA....NO......if you're lucky, getting major warranty service, they might give you a shitty rental car.....HAHAHA!!!!! Oil Change...forget it!!!!

In case you didn't find out by now...Acura isn't a Luxury Car...just an overpriced Honda.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JetJock
In case you didn't find out by now...Acura isn't a Luxury Car...
Yeah, I've heard...maybe this is part of the problem. I know that Lexus dealers in my area always give loaners. They may say, "Oil change on Tuesday, OK..but if you need a loaner, we can't do Tuesday, how about Wednesday." But the option is always there.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Pro

I have never asked for/they have never offered a loaner for an oil change, I just always go in there and they have it all done in 40 minutes or so. If what they are doing is going to take longer than an hour I get a loaner. They have always given me a TL, TSX, or RDX. I think that the way they do the loaner is right, if I dropped my car off and then drove to my office and drove back the car would be done. I dont see any reason that I should keep their loaner all day for an oil changed that takes no time at all. BUT I try to group my services together so I can get a loaner. My dealership is nice too because they have wireless internet for laptops and a stand alone computer with internet access so people get still be productive when there for a half hour. They of course have magazines like everywhere else. Plus they always have fresh baked cookies, fresh poped popcorn, and soda/pop/coke/water, so sitting there isnt all that bad.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Racer

always loaner from my dealer plus I can pick acura I want to - RL, TL, RDX or MDX
Old 09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes!

Took my car in Tuesday after driving back 400 miles from Niagara Falls because the VSA light was on. I arrived around 6 pm, told them what the problem was and asked if it would be a quick fix. The service advisor said they were really busy but would look at it later that evening. (They have late night service hours to 11 pm). He gave me a 2006 TL loaner and said he'd call me with an update.

Received a call the next day that the car was ready and to come back anytime to get the car.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fish008
I dont see any reason that I should keep their loaner all day for an oil changed that takes no time at all.
I agree with you, but my service department told me that I couldn't wait, I had to drop it off in the morning and they'd have it ready at the end of the day AND they would not provide a loaner for such a minor service...an A1 service (which I believe is simply an oil change and maybe tire rotation.)

I'm ok with waiting for a minor service, but if they want to keep my car all day, I don't understand why I should not expect a loaner.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I forgot to add that even if I bring my Honda Accord in for service there, they will give me an Acura loaner, and this goes for simple services like oil changes.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was told that the time of the job determined if I get a loaner or not. If it is over 1hr 30min of work I get one. Oil changes and tire rotation together are 1hr 15min according to them. So this weeds these services out. I always ask them to check out a rattle so I can get a loaner.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No Because I am under the age of 25.

They do however have enterprise come pick me up and pay for a rental, then when my car is ready I drive the rental to the dealer and leave it there

Right now i'm crusing in an 07 4Runner
Old 09-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hoc_james
I agree with you, but my service department told me that I couldn't wait, I had to drop it off in the morning and they'd have it ready at the end of the day AND they would not provide a loaner for such a minor service...an A1 service (which I believe is simply an oil change and maybe tire rotation.)

I'm ok with waiting for a minor service, but if they want to keep my car all day, I don't understand why I should not expect a loaner.
It sounds like they do not want your business. For them to need the car all day for that service also means they are not very well organized.

My dealer always gives out a loaner anytime the car has to be left. It is always an Acura and usually a TL
Old 09-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmahh

They do however have enterprise come pick me up and pay for a rental, then when my car is ready I drive the rental to the dealer and leave it there

Then, wouldn't your answer be yes, they do give you a loaner?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

In case you didn't find out by now...Acura isn't a Luxury Car...just an overpriced Honda.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:28 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

In regards to other replies..

There is a "loaner chart" that the dealer uses I believe.. A certain labor time frame allows for a certain period of time for a loaner vehicle, ie; 5 hours of warranty work permits a loaner vehicle for 1 - 2 days (I can look in my warranty contract later); but note that it's for WARRANTY work.

I believe the Acura NA policy is to provide a loaner for warranty work, the dealer may provide a loaner for service, but if the policy from Acura NA states a loaner for warranty, then all they have to do is a provide a loaner for warranty, not service. While we all appreciate a loaner provided during oil changes and other non-warranty work it might just be the dealer taking an extra step to ensure your satisfaction
Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by ggesq
Then, wouldn't your answer be yes, they do give you a loaner?
I suppose - but it's not an Acura loaner because of the dealers insurance policy.

I actually have to go and sign a contract and give them a credit card; I don't know what the procedure is for a loaner..
Old 09-06-2007, 05:01 PM
-=2005 TL=-

I have always received an ACURA loaner car, MDX, RDX, TSX, or a TL. Yes there was one time when I did not receive it, it was to get my 07 switchblade key cut and programmed, but always got a great complimenatry car wash, even with the RO for the Key.

WEIR CANYON ACURA - look for Danny and say Eugene sent you.
TUSTIN DCH ACURA - look for George and say Eugene sent you.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

HAHAHA!!!! Loaner in PA....NO......if you're lucky, getting major warranty service, they might give you a shitty rental car.....HAHAHA!!!!! Oil Change...forget it!!!!

Sorry about your local luck! Your position is not necessarily the benchmark for everyone else for you to make such a general statement.
I get a loaner for anything over 2 hours work time, no questions asked. Free touch up paint, too.
A Lexus is an overpriced Toyota, isn't it?
Fits your logic well
Old 09-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, my tranny died a few days ago so i took it in to get a new one under warranty, so the first two days, the service advisor was like "sorry we're out of loaners..." so on the third day he calls in the morning and is like "come on in, we have a TL loaner, so i go up there, and after filling out the paper work, all of the service desk ppl refused to sign my papers for the loaner cause im 19, and you have to be 21....i was pretty pissed, so then i asked if my brother, who is 21 and who lives in the same town could get the loaner, so i could get his car, and they went back and asked the manager and he said no. needless to say, i was pretty fucking pissed at my experience with the loaners...but to my understanding they dont give out loaners for work that takes less than one hour....

P.S. when i was 16, i got a brand new 2003 accord as a loaner when i brought my 2000 accord in for service , and when i was 18, same thing, new accord as a loaner....w/e...my car should be ready by tomorrow evening
Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmahh

wtf when i asked for a rental, because they refused to give me a loaner cause im 19, i was told i would have to pay 35 bucks a day for it through enterprise....
Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I get a loaner, sometimes not an Acura. I think its all what time you show up.

At least in Dallas if you bring your car in anytime after 9am, you aint gettin no Acura.

Just be happy that you're getting anything is my opinion. I agree with you hoc_ if your car is going to be there all day you deserve a loaner for sure...
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
just an overpriced Honda.
wow, havent heard that one before....
Old 09-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know. The car hasn't been back to the dealer since I drove it off the showroom floor three years ago.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Sorry, should have read the WHOLE question before answering the poll. My *ammended* answer is NO.

To get a loaner, service will need to be 2 hours or longer (that normally precludes A1 service) AND a loaner has to be available. Service appointments and loaners can be reserved in advance by appointment - it's not required, but you take your chances if you don't make an appointment.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by slawek65
always loaner from my dealer plus I can pick acura I want to - RL, TL, RDX or MDX
Ooh, tell me that you've taken them up on their offer for an RL? I just love the styling on the car...but it was a tad out of my price range when I bought the TL
Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I bought my 2007 TL-S a couple of months ago and was told by my sales person that "Of course, we give loaners when you bring your car in for service." His reply to my question gave me the no doubt about it response I was looking for. It's almost like he said, "You're buying an Acura, not a Ford Focus...you obviously never owned a premium car before...loaners go without saying!"

So, I scheduled my first A1 service the other day and was politely told by the service rep that loaners are not given out for what is considered, "minor service." If it were major repair work covered under warranty then a loaner would be granted.

I'm shocked...do your dealers provide loaners for oil change service and other such routine maintenance? Is my expectation of receiving a loaner everytime I bring my car in unrealistic?
What is A1, oil chnage and maybe 15 minutes of stuff? Honestly even Infiniti is doing this now I belcie the car neeeds to be in for 2 or 4 hours worth of work before they will give you a loaner. I think that is reasonable. Also depending on what you are in for if you push hard enough and the dealer is good they shoudl step up. I bought my first 2 TLs at one dealer, bought my 3rd somewhere else, but wanted first dealer to work on my buzzy back deck and even though I didn't buy my car there he put me in a loaner from a Friday through Tuesday!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Yes my dealer gives a loaner, and it is an Acura that they send you in, TSX if you drive a car, and a RDX if you drive the SUV. BUT you must make an appointment. To get a loaner when the power steering rack was leaking, the appointment to get it fixed would take a week and a half if I wanted to have a loaner. They said it was because stupid people take the loaners for an oil change appointment, which makes the people that have multiple days with out a car go without, or have to wait. DONT BE PART OF THE PROBLEM! JIFFY LUBE DOES NOT OFFER LOANERS, EVEN IF YOU SHOW UP IN A BMW.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Acura of Memphis gives you a loaner for any service you have. (They have two types of loaners: half-day and extended). Usually they match you with your car but I've gotten the RDX twice.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 PM
05 TL

I have never gotten a TL... Only a TSX. Its gunna be really hard to sell me a RDX if I never get to drive one. Doesn't matter, I wouldn't buy a car from my local acura dealer.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Love my TL! ready 4 mods!

I didn't get a loaner for an oil change but I did get one when I had my door guards put on. They lent me a RDX, sweet! Gas guzzler though, made me appreciate my TL :p Have an appt with Acura tomorrow b/c I keep getting these squealing noise when I do a hard turn while braking slowly at the same time. I have to get out of a tight parking space every day Do you guys get squealing noise when doing that? I haven't seen the issue on on the board yet...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

^ your tires?

Mine does it.. our parking garage has very smooth concrete..
Old 09-07-2007, 06:57 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Smithtown Acura will ALWAYS give me a loaner, ONLY AN ACURA, TSX, MDX, TL or RDX...no RL's or RSX's though...

The only caveat is, if I call for service within 1-2 days, they will say "well if you want a loaner, you'll have to bring it on xxxxxx day"....which usually is a few days after I wanted to but its ok. NOW I just call way ahead of time to ensure that I get a loaner.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Acura of Seattle always gives me loaner even for oil changes and general checkups. I have had TSX, RDX & TL the times I have needed loaners. No questions asked. I live 2 hours from dealership so when car has to stay overnight, sometimes my use of the loaner can stretch to a week before I am off work and can make the trip back up to get the car. They have never given me any crap at all.
FYI- Closest dealership to me is 1+ hours away, I decided to deal with this dealership because they had a better reputation than the one in Tacoma.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davejsbx
JIFFY LUBE DOES NOT OFFER LOANERS, EVEN IF YOU SHOW UP IN A BMW.
Yeah, but JL doesn't require you to leave the car ALL DAY LONG!!!

I'm fine with waiting if it is a short service.
I'm fine with making the appointment in advance and around the availability of a loaner.
I'm not fine with the service department telling me that because they can't commit to a time slot that I must leave my car all day and refuse to provide another set of wheels.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gauravp123
...if I call for service within 1-2 days, they will say "well if you want a loaner, you'll have to bring it on xxxxxx day"....which usually is a few days after I wanted to but its ok. NOW I just call way ahead of time to ensure that I get a loaner.
That sounds reasonable and completely acceptable to me.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:27 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

That sounds reasonable and completely acceptable to me.
yup!!!!

I am grateful that they provide loaners for any kind of svc. In fact, that was one of their selling points (smithtown acura)..."always a loaner, ALWAYS an acura"

my friend who has an infiniti g35 (08) doesn't get loaners...
my other buddies who have bmw's (5xx series, 3xx series) will get loaners but at times, more often then not, will be rolling around in a camry, sentra etc. NO disrespect to any of these cars (camry is a great car, sentra is good etc), but for a bmw, you SHOULD get a bmw loaner.

JUST MY $100.00-$99.98 = $0.02
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Instructor

As long as I'm flexible with the date, I always get a loaner. Never asked for one for an oil change, since I'm willing to wait for that.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Instructor

i NEVER get a loaner. I used to ask and they always said " We dont have a loaner at this moment." But the funny thing is that im in the Acura dealer right now getting some work done on my car and before I even ask to have a loaner the lady already tells me "We dont have any loaners" without me even thinking of getting one at the moment. But another service agent walked past me in the waiting area right now and told a mechanic to go get a loaner from the back for an old lady. She just dropped in for an alignment and i had an advance appoint to get my front bumper repaired for a week now. And guess what else!?!? The loaner for the lady is a 2007 Type-S. What Bitches!!

Quick Reply: Does Your Dealer Give You a Loaner?