3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does regularly using Sport Shift damage the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bibledriver
So, to my knowledge, Honda has never governed speed on any vehicle (maybe the SUV's). But if 152 is rev limited in 5th, I am not sure if 6th could overcome the drag, and this may be why there is no more acceleration in the videos you referenced. Haven't seen them . . . But if I was to, I would look and listen for fuel cutout in 6th. Only way 6th would overcome drag, IMO, is with SC. Does TLFourplay have one?
Yeah, he does. But I don't know if it was in at the time he did the videos. The videos are in You Tube, just do a search. But there was a big argument about that on here with TLFourplay on this same subject. That's why he did the video to prove his point. Videos are cool as hell!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

These are TLFourplay's vids for those of you who didn't see them:

Video1
Video2
Video3

Enjoy! I did!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Yeah, he does. But I don't know if it was in at the time he did the videos. The videos are in You Tube, just do a search. But there was a big argument about that on here with TLFourplay on this same subject. That's why he did the video to prove his point. Videos are cool as hell!!!!
TLFourplay is convinced he has a speed limiter and the video seems to substantiate that on his car. It was he to whom I referred when I said some members and some magazines believe there is a speed limiter. He repeated that to me as recently as yesterday in another thread.

On the top speed threads (we have a couple of them here), no one else has mentioned a speed limiter (IIRC) but talk about reaching top speed in 4th (AT) or 5th (MT), drag limited, at about 152 MPH. They also mention that it takes some time and distance to get up there.

One or two magazines that tested the TL have made a notation on their test data that it is top speed governed. I have been unable to confirm it in the Acura Shop Manual or Owner's Manual and, and this point, I'm not buying it. Other magazines have said the TL's top speed is drag limited to about 150-155.

What I DO know is that speed limiters are usually installed so that you don't overrun the rating of the OEM tires. That would present a legal liability on the manufacturer. Ergo, the Cadillac DTS is speed limited to 111 MPH because they have cheaper, lower rated tires. When you hit 111, the MID tells you such. I know. I have rented them and run the wheels off them on the Nevada desert.

On the TL, the OEM tires carry a "W" rating for sustained speeds of 165 MPH. We have a Coefficient of Drag (Cd) of .29 which is the same as a C5 Corvette.

Theoretically, and experientially, with the TL's horsepower and gearing (not TL-S), the top speed should be around 150 so there is no need for a speed limiter based on tire limits/liability.

I haven't heard anything about the 3.5L TL-S, but I would expect it to do a little better. Keeping in mind that it takes gobs of horsepower to make a material difference at the top end, I would expect the TL-S to perhaps hit 155-160 on a good day with a skinny driver, 2 gallons of gas, 45 psi in the tires, cool temperatures, and a wind at your back.

All that assumes that it is not one of those special models that has a speed limiter.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

All that assumes that it is not one of those special models that has a speed limiter.

Either TLFourplay is not reading this "mere mortal" automatic shifting thread (for that matter why the hell am I? ), or he has tired of this debate as he said before.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by darksom1

Either TLFourplay is not reading this "mere mortal" automatic shifting thread (for that matter why the hell am I? ), or he has tired of this debate as he said before.
I think it's about 4 a.m. where he is.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Look at the rpms in the video. He was hitting the revlimiter not speed limiter. Then I guarantee an upshift into 6th would probably make him lose speed or at best maintain and not gain any more which again you guys would think was a speed limiter. Governors usually go hand in hand with tire ratings. I'm tempted after this argument to do a run on the 6% downhill grade on my way home this weekend just to prove it has no governor.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked videos... the man's crazy!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Look at the rpms in the video. He was hitting the revlimiter not speed limiter. Then I guarantee an upshift into 6th would probably make him lose speed or at best maintain and not gain any more which again you guys would think was a speed limiter. Governors usually go hand in hand with tire ratings. I'm tempted after this argument to do a run on the 6% downhill grade on my way home this weekend just to prove it has no governor.
You look at the RPM's in Video #2 in Darksom's post. 6th Gear, ~5300 RPM, still pulling revs and speedo, then TLFourplay calls "fuel cut off" at ~152 MPH/~5300 RPM

If there is no top speed limiter why does the fuel cut off at ~5300 RPM in 6th gear?

So, are you and Xpditor saying:

It's not a "fuel cut off" and TLFourplay doesn't know it? Or,

The rev limiter kicks in at 6800 in all gears but 6th, where it kicks in at 5300? Or

That even though he was still pulling revs and felt the fuel cut off that is "drag limited"? Or,

That you don't care about evidence, just your own opinion?

Please explain it, because what I see in the video and what TLFourplay says he feels is EXACTLY like a top speed limiter.

BTW - That is a TL-S IIRC. 6MT.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
You look at the RPM's in Video #2 in Darksom's post. 6th Gear, ~5300 RPM, still pulling revs and speedo, then TLFourplay calls "fuel cut off" at ~152 MPH/~5300 RPM

If there is no top speed limiter why does the fuel cut off at ~5300 RPM in 6th gear?

The rev limiter kicks in at 6800 in all gears but 6th, where it kicks in at 5300? Or

That even though he was still pulling revs and felt the fuel cut off that is "drag limited"? Or,

Please explain it, because what I see in the video and what TLFourplay says he feels is EXACTLY like a top speed limiter.

Originally Posted by Xpditor
TLFourplay is convinced he has a speed limiter and the video seems to substantiate that on his car. It was he to whom I referred when I said some members and some magazines believe there is a speed limiter. He repeated that to me as recently as yesterday in another thread.
Yes, I have acknowledged that. (see quote) His is a 2007 TL-S and his is the only top speed report I have seen on the Type-S.

All OTHER 3rd generation TLs have not reported a similar experience and no speed governor is discussed in the Acura Shop Manual for the 3.2L engine.

If that "special model" TL, the Type-S, has a speed governor..... as his appears to have, it has not been reported by other TL owners.

I have not researched the 2007 Shop Manual for the Type-S and will take his word for it that HIS car has one, as is (as I said) substantiated in the video.

My suppositions on the top speed of the 3.5L are assuming it is not governed but discussing its theoretical top speed, drag limited.

Do you think the German government might have required the limiter in order to import it into that country??? Nah.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Team Owner

Talking

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

The rpms were barely climbing. Speed had pretty much leveled off before he called limiter. The revlimiter was obvious in the 5th gear vids. When he was calling speed limiter in 6th, it sounded like the engine was still at WOT and not hitting any sort of limiter.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
if you really want to know if it is speed or rpm limited, just jack the car up in the front, and run it out to red in top gear.

note: not responsible if you're actually dumb enough to do this :P
Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What ever happened to a good ole dyno? Can you not just get a high speed dyno run? Anybody into dynoes around here?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And there is really only one spot that you can see the 6th gear pull.
Dang, looked like he was ready to add a hood ornament
Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The rpms were barely climbing. Speed had pretty much leveled off before he called limiter. The revlimiter was obvious in the 5th gear vids. When he was calling speed limiter in 6th, it sounded like the engine was still at WOT and not hitting any sort of limiter.

I can hear the cut off in 5th. I can also see the RPMs dipping.

I can't hear it or see it in 6th. But, I can hear him calling "Fuel cutoff. Fuel cutoff."

He should know as he was there so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that his TL-S has a top speed governor.

I'm still looking for another one or for a factory acknowledgment of that fact.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSMTL04
You are correct...it only shifts 1-2 automatically in SS mode for 04-06 TL's.
this is such crap. the auto shift from 1 to 2 gear is the only thing that i dont like about our SS. i wish i had the option of shifting it on my own but atleast i do see an adjustment at when it will shift depending on how hard i pressing on the gas pedal.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Xpditor

I can hear the cut off in 5th. I can also see the RPMs dipping.

I can't hear it or see it in 6th. But, I can hear him calling "Fuel cutoff. Fuel cutoff."

He should know as he was there so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that his TL-S has a top speed governor.

I'm still looking for another one or for a factory acknowledgment of that fact.
I'm not calling him a liar in any way. I believe he really thinks he's hitting a limiter and I'll be the first to apologize if I'm wrong. I know how frustrating people like me can be on the internet because I've posted some of my kill videos in my other car and had people doubt them. Like I said, the next time I go home (next Friday), I'm going to go ahead and run my 06 5AT on the huge downhill grade and confirm for myself that the 06s don't have a limiter. Not that this does anything for the TL-s debate.

I've topped mine out before at an indicated 152mph (probably in the upper 140s realistically) and while holding it there all it took was a barely percievable incline and speed would drop a few mph. Took a very slight corner and it dropped also.