3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know how to use the search anymore???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Does anyone know how to use the search anymore???

This board is getting so cluttered up from hundreds of the exacts same posts, sometimes a few a day. All of these new members that are not bothering to search are cluttering things up for the ones that do bother to search. Just about everything that has been asked lately has been answered in great detail at one time. Now all I'm seeing is watered down and incorrect replies because most of the regulars and knowledgable people are tired of typing the same old stuff.

This is really ruining the board IMO. There is no excuse for those asking about: what size speakers the TL uses, How to stop the rattles, How to install an amp, Strut bar questions, a-spec 6mt vs 5at questions, dino to synthetic questions, fuel octane and mpg, forced induction options, painting engine covers, 30K and 105K service, subwoofer installation and LOC, which CAI, what times the 6mt runs, gimmick sparkplugs, torn compliance bushings...

I pulled these just from the first page of each forum and every one of them has been answered many times in the past. Half of the ones I listed were resolved in '04 and '05 and there are many more not on the list.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
Completely Agree. Alot of new topics were brought up when i first joined 2 years ago but as of lately, its the same thing over and over. And i agree that the "old-timers" are just tired of answering the same questions so newbie questions sometimes dont even get answered...
And the old SEARCH was sooooo much better...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
repost
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
hai guys, which CAI is the best?

kidding of course. im a n00b but i do my best on searches. ive been around though. 8thcivic, g8board, sccoa.com, svtperformance, etc...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
People are just lazy bastards. I see this on every car related message board I go to, and even others.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
What was that about the OLD SEARCH????
because I think the search we have now sucks.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Even if the search function sucks or you don't know how to search (takes practice), NEW and OLD members need to be looking at the 3G Garage before posting a thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The search is better than it used to be but it's still not that good, and people are lazy like MW said.

I've always had better luck doing a site search with google. Like: "3G TL a-spec install" site: acurazine.com

And, when you are new to forums, the first thing on your mind is not searching, it's getting a quick answer.

I also think that having this link stickied would also help alleviate duplicate posts:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/

I know you can get it by clicking the 3G garage and then the link inside there, but most peeps won't click that much.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ggesq
Even if the search function sucks or you don't know how to search (takes practice), NEW and OLD members need to be looking at the 3G Garage before posting a thread.
LOL. I figured I was going to be banned for this thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Team Owner

The reason I care is #1 bad info for the people who do search and #2 it makes it even harder to search when you have all of these "half assed" threads to sort through.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I still say we need something like a search engine helper (if one exist). Before someone can submit a thread, the engine should pick up keywords and generate a message like "There are XXX threads similar to your request available via the SEARCH function. If you create a thread for info deemed redundant by Admins, you will incur an infraction."
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
LOL. I figured I was going to be banned for this thread.
I think most of us agree with your rant- that's why I am letting this thread run for a bit.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 PM
iWhine

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
It would be cool if it was a priority for noobs to watch something like this before they made their first post...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6BTcEwtmZo
Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The CAI question never stops! When I first joined...I asked and got some rude ass reply. Now I understand. But ya, I've noticed it a lot. It makes the 3G section less desirable to come to.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
which oil is best for my car?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Team Owner

I run 87 octane to save money. Has anyone else done this?

Does my red look a little pink to anyone else???

Edit: Nevermind.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,201 Likes on 689 Posts
Agreed. Felt like I saw 3-4 threads asking just for a roof spoiler recently.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Agreed. Felt like I saw 3-4 threads asking just for a roof spoiler recently.
Hey, what kind of photography do you do? I only ask because one of my really good friends is a professional photographer.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Hey, what kind of photography do you do? I only ask because one of my really good friends is a professional photographer.
Off-topic. Banned.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Off-topic. Banned.
LOL. I hesitated to post just for that reason.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,201 Likes on 689 Posts
Just the basic point-and-shoot w/ small post-editing touch ups. Real beginner/amateur-esque stuff with a few gems, imo.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
I agree with you for the most part but also since this is an open site and anyone can answer, most of the replies are off topic/ threads are 100 pages long and sometimes someone hears an answer and posts it not knowing how to say what he means (telephone) and its wrong anyway. I for one searches and 90% of the topics are all over the place but sometimes I get the urge to start a new thread because I need confidence and most of the time threads here do not give me what I'm looking for. I also agree that most of the threads started are something that can be found by google, search and most of them are just common sense.

Also to be honest I love helping people out, but I recently, including today, have seen a thread RIGHT over the other thread asking the same thing.

Last edited by AckTL05; 06-17-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Brand new members most likely won't know to "search" before they ask. We're posting from an experienced point of view.

Maybe if the Admins put a ban on certain topics, then they won't be posted?

This can work in the same way the site does not allow other forums or links to them to be posted.

Or, maybe every new member, once they join, can be pointed not only to the Garage, but also to the most often discussed topics.

I know this is all available, but maybe somehow they can be directed to them immediately upon joining?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
search titles only ftw
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^ yep.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it weren't for new members and "noob" questions, this forum would be dead.
Also, it's just the nature of the beast.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
I have to agree with shonuff and princelybug---the 3G Garage really needs to be thrown in people's faces. IMO, it is probably the single best thing about this forum. There is so much good quality information and experience, it just blows my mind.
Add to that the fact that it is very well maintained by the admins and it becomes an ever growing tool to be used by noobs and longtime members alike. Almost every time I go there I see something new.
Yet we still have to point it out to folks.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 AM

I changed my search preferences to search titles only. it should be defaulted this way.
Thanks Slooo97.

I think i fixed why my searches were useless to me. when i searched for a word, the post would NEVER come up. and thats why i said it sucked.

Also, I know it would be hard work but could we clean up the useless info threads?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AckTL05
I agree with you for the most part but also since this is an open site and anyone can answer, most of the replies are off topic/ threads are 100 pages long and sometimes someone hears an answer and posts it not knowing how to say what he means (telephone) and its wrong anyway. I for one searches and 90% of the topics are all over the place but sometimes I get the urge to start a new thread because I need confidence and most of the time threads here do not give me what I'm looking for. I also agree that most of the threads started are something that can be found by google, search and most of them are just common sense.

Also to be honest I love helping people out, but I recently, including today, have seen a thread RIGHT over the other thread asking the same thing.
Originally Posted by princelybug
Brand new members most likely won't know to "search" before they ask. We're posting from an experienced point of view.

Maybe if the Admins put a ban on certain topics, then they won't be posted?

This can work in the same way the site does not allow other forums or links to them to be posted.

Or, maybe every new member, once they join, can be pointed not only to the Garage, but also to the most often discussed topics.

I know this is all available, but maybe somehow they can be directed to them immediately upon joining?
I agree with you guys. Nothing wrong with starting a new thread but sometimes it's better if you need clarification to post at the end of an old thread that you found through a search on the topic. That way you can read over the previous responses so there's not so much repeating. Adding new info to an old thread is great and it makes the search so much easier than sorting through 100 threads on the same topic with the same answers.

Of course, I'm not in favor of any sort of disciplinary actions, we need the new members and most of them are great. Just point them in the right direction and let the lazy ones sort themselves out.

I like helping people too, it's hard to ignore many of these threads but I force myself to do it most of the time especially when the same question is already posted on the first page and has been answered.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe something in the area of the PM waiting period, IE you must have 20 posts before you can start a new thread?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The reason I care is #1 bad info for the people who do search and #2 it makes it even harder to search when you have all of these "half assed" threads to sort through.
THIS. I do ALOT of searching before posting threads, but I sometimes wind up with Half ass answers, instead of a complete one. and some of these questions are more opininated, like whats the best CAI? HOLY SHYT, they all do the same thing, its really about what looks good to YOU!!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
people who have never been on forums before and don't know the general rule of SEARCH FIRST, ASK QUESTIONS LATER will make new threads. When someone asks, Can I put type-s tails on my base TL and has anyone done this before? I mean come on, these cars have been around for 6 years now, you honestly think you're the first one asking this question?

And search engine does suck on this forum, but I just google everything I need and put in acurazine in the search and it makes life a little easier.

also people making stupid thread titles make it hard to search. There might be some good information about turbos lets say (just an example) but the threads title is "YO YO FAST" or some dumb bullshit like that.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This board is getting so cluttered up from hundreds of the exacts same posts, sometimes a few a day. All of these new members that are not bothering to search are cluttering things up for the ones that do bother to search. Just about everything that has been asked lately has been answered in great detail at one time. Now all I'm seeing is watered down and incorrect replies because most of the regulars and knowledgable people are tired of typing the same old stuff.

This is really ruining the board IMO. There is no excuse for those asking about: what size speakers the TL uses, How to stop the rattles, How to install an amp, Strut bar questions, a-spec 6mt vs 5at questions, dino to synthetic questions, fuel octane and mpg, forced induction options, painting engine covers, 30K and 105K service, subwoofer installation and LOC, which CAI, what times the 6mt runs, gimmick sparkplugs, torn compliance bushings...

I pulled these just from the first page of each forum and every one of them has been answered many times in the past. Half of the ones I listed were resolved in '04 and '05 and there are many more not on the list.

Actually I always search before posting a new question but it seems like the search feature never gives a good answer.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
The search is better than it used to be but it's still not that good, and people are lazy like MW said.

I've always had better luck doing a site search with google. Like: "3G TL a-spec install" site: acurazine.com

And, when you are new to forums, the first thing on your mind is not searching, it's getting a quick answer.

I also think that having this link stickied would also help alleviate duplicate posts:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553554

I know you can get it by clicking the 3G garage and then the link inside there, but most peeps won't click that much.
Originally Posted by ciscopath
I still say we need something like a search engine helper (if one exist). Before someone can submit a thread, the engine should pick up keywords and generate a message like "There are XXX threads similar to your request available via the SEARCH function. If you create a thread for info deemed redundant by Admins, you will incur an infraction."
Originally Posted by myron
people who have never been on forums before and don't know the general rule of SEARCH FIRST, ASK QUESTIONS LATER will make new threads. When someone asks, Can I put type-s tails on my base TL and has anyone done this before? I mean come on, these cars have been around for 6 years now, you honestly think you're the first one asking this question?

And search engine does suck on this forum, but I just google everything I need and put in acurazine in the search and it makes life a little easier.

also people making stupid thread titles make it hard to search. There might be some good information about turbos lets say (just an example) but the threads title is "YO YO FAST" or some dumb bullshit like that.
Originally Posted by JackSampson
Actually I always search before posting a new question but it seems like the search feature never gives a good answer.

The people want a better search. OR default "search for titles"
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
maybe there should be restrictions like the ability to create new threads put on new forum members. maybe that will force them to search? or when they auto join, automatically send them a PM telling them to search or something?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
I have slowed down on this site as I have done all that I want to do to my car. Search is your friend and it isn't that bad. I have been on here and have done a few descent DIY threads that are in the garage section. I agree. With the op. People ask the same questions over and over and over the past year, I have just gotten tired of the same questions. Newbees will be newbees. Ask away but don't be surprised when you don't get an answer.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:14 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I agree with you guys. Nothing wrong with starting a new thread but sometimes it's better if you need clarification to post at the end of an old thread that you found through a search on the topic. That way you can read over the previous responses so there's not so much repeating. Adding new info to an old thread is great and it makes the search so much easier than sorting through 100 threads on the same topic with the same answers.

Of course, I'm not in favor of any sort of disciplinary actions, we need the new members and most of them are great. Just point them in the right direction and let the lazy ones sort themselves out.

I like helping people too, it's hard to ignore many of these threads but I force myself to do it most of the time especially when the same question is already posted on the first page and has been answered.
Originally Posted by LostSol_FoundTL
Maybe something in the area of the PM waiting period, IE you must have 20 posts before you can start a new thread?
with both of the above posts.

Originally Posted by myron

I do the same.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I don't mind when there is an emergency and noob requires immediate help - misfire, codes..etc... I think the problem section should accept everything... No waiting period! This would discourage many from ever coming back. Most people search forums when they have a problem.

In the main section...partly why I stopped responding...is cluttered with bs. I'm losing interest fast. I've experienced 2G, now 3G is suffering same fate...too bad I won't join 4G (the fuglyness keeps me away) I've been here too long to repeat myself over and over and over again... In fact most of us, to answer a specific question do the search ourselves, and then we pose...wait a minute...why the f*ck am i doing this? they can do the same...And we leave the thread.

The search function is a joke; tweaking with advanced options improves the search a bit... I suggest changing all titles to specific key words...instead of "Yo son, ill mod yo, check it out, blue blinging" to "Ricer: Blue LED under hood (place of purchase)"
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
I search before I post on any forum, yet to older members on this and other forums, they know where the answers are. You may know of a great, very detailed thread that contains valuable information, yet it would take a new member a long time to find that thread. The search function on this site has yielded several useful threads to me, along with the 3's garage, with threads linked to each topic. It comes down to the new members wanting instantaneous answers when their first search try doesn't get any results.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to use the search anymore???