3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Poll: Hear the "CLICK" sound as described below..
Yes. I do too.. (unfortunately)
70.17%
Nope. No clue what you're talking about..
29.83%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Does anyone else get a "click" noise when ... ? 3G Garage # A-004

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Acura TL Navi Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else get a "click" noise when ... ? 3G Garage # A-004

i'm new to these forums. it's very interesting to say the least. i am a new 2004 TL navi owner (white) and am very happy with the exception of the following things:

1) very loud seatbelt warning.. gives me a jump sometimes when i least expect it.
2) having to click on "OK" after the navi boots up each time i start the engine..
3) "click" noise (and feeling) each morning when i drive off to work..

point (3) is what i wanted to talk about here. does anyone else get this? it seems to happen only after the car has been parked for a long time (say, several hours).. hence, i hear/feel it happen each morning after the car's in the garage all night. i get it when i BEGIN to drive off (depressing the accelerator). doesn't seem to matter how slowly or fast i depress that accelerator, i still get it.

the "click" sound is not only a noise but i can actually FEEL it through the accelerator pedal. it's very distinct to me (although my wife says she can't hear it). but i'm kind of a perfectionist so i tend to notice these sorts of things (thankfully, there's not been any sign of the headliner falling down yet.. although i have to say, that's the reason why i chose to add the wind visor accessory to prevent that particular problem.. anyway).

am i alone in this "click" sound? thanks.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's normal-due to ABS self test.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Acura TL Navi Driver

Originally Posted by Novice
It's normal-due to ABS self test.
normal? really? it seems pretty annoying actually to be normal. my wife has a toyota highlander (2002) and i used to drive an acura integra, a honda accord, and other honda/toyota cars all with ABS and a bunch of other things and never noticed this "click" before. perhaps it's just more pronounced with this TL.. *sigh* oh well. thanks anyway for the reply...
Old 06-05-2004, 10:21 PM
3rd Gear

I just noticed the issue described last week. I've had my (Red/Parchment/Navi) TL for three weeks now and I experience the exact same thing you described. One click the first thing in the morning, but not any other time. I haven't asked the dealer about it yet.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:09 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Never heard it. Try turning your radio on
Old 06-05-2004, 11:18 PM
5th Gear

I heard the same thing too in the morning !!! I am due to service within a month or so and will find out from the dealer. He sound as if from the steering. I do not remember hearing it if I try straight. Only when I back up and turn the steering wheel.

Stay tune.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Acura TL Navi Driver

oh good. sounds like i'm not alone here. i'm "glad" others are having this problem too. hopefully there's an easy solution to this (perhaps after the first tune-up). i'm kind of hoping this problem will go away all by itself. if anyone has anything else to add, by all means..
Old 06-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
You're not listening

Originally Posted by astudios
oh good. sounds like i'm not alone here. i'm "glad" others are having this problem too. hopefully there's an easy solution to this (perhaps after the first tune-up). i'm kind of hoping this problem will go away all by itself. if anyone has anything else to add, by all means..
Hello??

This "problem" is not a problem. It has been thoroughly discussed on the forum several times. You could do a search if you want to see all the conversations.

It is the ABS brake system doing a self-check. It occurs like a thump which can be felt through the pedal/steering wheel at about 10-15 MPH. It almost feels like something in the transmission.

The only problem is if you don't know what it is and are not expecting it. I am pretty sure it's mentioned in the Owner's Manual.

XP
Old 06-06-2004, 01:53 AM
Cruisin'

I didn't vote because even though I have the "click" first thing each morning, it is not unfortunate. It's just the ABS doing a self-diagnostic. The TSX I had prior to the TL did the exact same thing.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Can I say something here...

I voted "NO"... b/c I have no clue what you're talking about... Sorry.

Based on what I've known, most of ppl above, Novice, xpditor42, NighthawkUA662 , saying "normal" would be right...

We have to define clearly what you're really hearing first...

IMO...

“Thump” or “flap” sound: Normal, ABS check/recycling. It “usually” only happens in the first drive-out and reach nearly-10 MPH for your first time. Usually it could only happen in the morning, but it may occur if you turn off the engine and your 04TL sits in the lot more than hours or dozens of minutes. ABS pump needs to replenish the pressure, then you hear the sound...

This one could be felt sometimes from your driver seat’s floor/steering wheel/pedals although your music is ON loudly.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=33

“Click” sound from outside brake (not squeaking): Normal, if you change the direction of driving, you “might” hear it. Rolling down your window in the quiet place or your garage, moving your car back and forth or do the 3-points turns, you “might” be able to replicate this sound. Brakes pads and shims are the factors. They slide back and forth as the wheel spins the opposite direction. Then, you will hear the "click" noise after the first time you brake in opposite direction.

“Click” sound from inside brake: Could be Normal as long as it’s not continuingly making “click” sound. The brake's switch causes this noise. Someone has replaced it due to the endless and always-happen “click” sound while stepping on the brake. If your “click” sound only occurs sometimes, it should be OK.

:o
Old 06-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Pro

1) How about fastening your seat belt?

2) N/A

3) No click.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:43 AM
You touch my tra la la...

The fasten seatbelt ring startling you is a good thing. It means buckle up.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Team WD Member

Originally Posted by rets
“Click” sound from inside brake: Could be Normal as long as it’s not continuingly making “click” sound. The switch causes this noise. Someone has replaced it due to the endless and always-happen “click” sound while stepping on the brake.
I've been noticing this with every tap of the brake pedal. Is this really a problem? Who is the "someone" other than the Acura factory or dealer?
Old 06-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by jefffree
I've been noticing this with every tap of the brake pedal. Is this really a problem? Who is the "someone" other than the Acura factory or dealer?

Sorry, I don't remember who they are... but, I have seen two members here having their dealer replaced their swtiches due to endless "click" sound each time they step on the brake pedal.

If it's only happening occuassionally, it should be fine. Please check with your dealer...
Old 06-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Team WD Vice-President

As others have said, the noise is the ABS doing the self check. The TL's ABS self check is not nearly as loud or noticible as what my A4's was.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Team Anthracite

so you drive without a seatbelt and you are startled by the "put on your seatbelt dummy" signal?

HAHAHAHAHA

i can just see someone driving down the road in their TL then all of a sudden you see them veer off the road into a tree and the guy gets launched from his windshield and splatters on the ground.

that would be a riot from a safety feature
Old 06-06-2004, 10:29 PM
kwh
3rd Gear

Interior brake pedal click every time I press the pedal!

My brake pedal clicks every time it is pressed (click happens about 1/3 through the travel). I just got the car a month ago and this is driving me crazy. I already took it back to the dealer, but they said that it is the "brake light switch"... but that is not true. They also told me that all TL do this... I didn't believe them, but we checked two brand new ones on the lot and they made the click too (not quite as loud though).

I can press the brake pedal (while parked) and the brake lights come on before the click happens, so it can't be the "brake light switch". And by the way, it is also not the "reverse lock" switch either because I can change gears with the pedal only pushed a little bit (then the click happens after I push it further).

What is the "switch" that some people have had their dealer's replace?? Is it an ABS switch??
Old 06-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by kwh
My brake pedal clicks every time it is pressed (click happens about 1/3 through the travel). I just got the car a month ago and this is driving me crazy. I already took it back to the dealer, but they said that it is the "brake light switch"... but that is not true. They also told me that all TL do this... I didn't believe them, but we checked two brand new ones on the lot and they made the click too (not quite as loud though).

I can press the brake pedal (while parked) and the brake lights come on before the click happens, so it can't be the "brake light switch". And by the way, it is also not the "reverse lock" switch either because I can change gears with the pedal only pushed a little bit (then the click happens after I push it further).

What is the "switch" that some people have had their dealer's replace?? Is it an ABS switch??

IMO, as long as it's not making frequent "click" sound each time you step on your brake pedal, it should be normal, my 94 Legend has this "click" sound since the day 1 in 1994. It does happen right after the braking light On (if you press slowly), as you said above. After 11 years, the "click" is still existed and the car is as perfect as it has been.

Based on this thread below, it could be "a plunger on the brake switch"...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78345

They're another two threads talking the replacement of this switch, but I couldn't find any of them... do your own search...
Old 06-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
it unlocks the shift gate in auto tl's so you shift out of park once the brake is depressed
Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

There have been several other threads on this. This one tells you all you need to know:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80058

By the way, a simple search on "brake click" would have gotten you there.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

TLGator...
Old 06-07-2004, 03:52 PM
ABP Auditor

Thanks for letting me know what this sound is!!!! I get the click once every morning and was trying to figure out what it was. ABS reset is ok, although no other car I've owned makes this noise.

Yes, I have the brake pedal click too and will ask the Dealer to replace the switch at my first service. It is only slightly annoying but if can be fixed as other in the thread mentioned above will testify.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Instructor

My TL and my wifes CR-V do the same thing.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

ABS?? Why wouldn't it do the same thing every time you start the car, why only after its been sitting for a while? My TL has made this noise from day one. I hope its only the ABS, sounds a lot like a dry cylinder though.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Click, schmick.

Originally Posted by Elinas
ABS?? Why wouldn't it do the same thing every time you start the car, why only after its been sitting for a while? My TL has made this noise from day one. I hope its only the ABS, sounds a lot like a dry cylinder though.
My Maxima made a similar noise for 14 years. It was the automatic transmission interlock release.

You know that you can't shift out of park unless you step on the brake, right?

Well, the click was the solenoid releasing the interlock on the shift mechanism.

Is that what you're talking about? I haven't noticed it on my TL. Anyone with a 6MT have the clicking?

XP
Old 06-08-2004, 03:39 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xpditor42
Hello??

This "problem" is not a problem. It has been thoroughly discussed on the forum several times. You could do a search if you want to see all the conversations.

It is the ABS brake system doing a self-check. It occurs like a thump which can be felt through the pedal/steering wheel at about 10-15 MPH. It almost feels like something in the transmission.

The only problem is if you don't know what it is and are not expecting it. I am pretty sure it's mentioned in the Owner's Manual.

XP
I looked last night and I didn't find anything about ABS self check in the Owners Manual under ABS Breaking System. On what page is it described?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I don't know if it's there, but lots of things won't be listed in our owner manual, such as squeaking noise from brakes, pop-out gears, rattles, adjusting temp sensor... I guess Acura/Honda won't say it if this is so-called characteristic stuff.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Acura TL Navi Driver

thanks to all who helped respond.. it takes a load off my mind.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:27 PM
9th Gear

Same Here

Have the same problem, seems a little more than a click. I need to take it in to the shop. I hope they have an explanation since it doesn't happen unless it has been sitting or cold.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Advanced

It's normal- it's the ABS reset- My Toyota Celica did it all the time along with a moan sound- happens just as you take off- going a few miles per hour
Old 06-17-2004, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when I was at the dealer the other day I heard one of the other svc reps explaining this same exact thud/flap sound. It's the abs modulators charging up after an overnite sit. He said you could probably pull the fuse and try it in the morning to see that it doesn't do it. Sure you'd be w/o abs for a bit, but it'd be a valid test.

But I kinda agree with the post that it almost doesn't seem to do it on a straight away pull-out but rather it does it when you back out of the driveway, then crank the wheel, then take off and THUD, there it is.

Had it since day 1, kinda just ignore it now.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xpditor42
My Maxima made a similar noise for 14 years. It was the automatic transmission interlock release.

You know that you can't shift out of park unless you step on the brake, right?

Well, the click was the solenoid releasing the interlock on the shift mechanism.

Is that what you're talking about? I haven't noticed it on my TL. Anyone with a 6MT have the clicking?

XP
I have a 6MT and it clicks almost every time I hit the brakes. I'll mention it at my first service.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Sherlock
... ... it's the abs modulators charging up after an overnite sit. He said you could probably pull the fuse and try it in the morning to see that it doesn't do it. Sure you'd be w/o abs for a bit, but it'd be a valid test.

But I kinda agree with the post that it almost doesn't seem to do it on a straight away pull-out but rather it does it when you back out of the driveway, then crank the wheel, then take off and THUD, there it is.

Had it since day 1, kinda just ignore it now.

Very detailed explanation. Even my SVC manager cannot say better.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:55 AM
3rd Gear

I bought a 2004 about 2 weeks ago and I have this with a "clunk/click" noise coming from the front of the car. It happens almost everytime i'm starting to accelerate from a stop and it doesnt matter how long the car is on or what time of day. It doesn't happen when i step on the brake it only happens when i step on the accelerator to go...Its rather annoying when the windows are down and I dont have my radio up high enough to drown it out. Any thoughts on what this might be? This does not sound normal to me NOT like what other people have been writing in about the ABS Self Check click only happening once when they start and backout the car.

I had my car in for a bunch of rattles (seat belts-parts on order, driver window, glove compartment, rear deck/speakers) over the past two days and they seemed to fix most of them. I also had them check out the clicking as well and the mechanic's logic was that there was rocks in the tires but when I drove it home it was still doing it.. So, clearly he had no clue.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

JEESH! Do you guys ride down the road with the stereo off just so you can listen for squeaks and rattles? I understand the desire for $33K car to not have imperfections, but we bought a first year, major re-design car. These things are gonna happen. I've had several Hondas and this is my second acura. All of them have had something that gave them what I'll just clasify as "character". Noisy trunk lid springs, creaks in arm rests, squeaky suspension, etc. My 2001 Prelude SH used to make a grunt/moan noise @ around 5-10 mph when it moved for the first time of a day, everyday! I was told that the ABS was re-pressurizing the system and doing a self-check. Once i found out that it was "Normal", I believed it and decided that it was okay. It never got any better and it never got any worse. They never failed, either. So, there was never anything to be concerned about.

Sure, I've had some squeaks and such on my SSM 6spd and my dealer has fixed the few that bothered me (rear deck rattle/sun visor/right passenger foot well). On real rough road, I do get rattles coming from the driver's door. I guess it's something in the air bag, but it's not very loud. I only notice it on rough roads, though. No big deal...

My suggestions: 1) Turn-up that very good sounding (for OEM) stereo.
2) Quit looking for problems. You'll only find them.
3) Try to believe that people are trying to be truthful. It is possible that
they are not trying to blow smoke up your @#$.
4) Feel satisfied about your decision in buying the car.
5) ENJOY THE CAR!

btw, I haven't noticed the click on my 6spd. I guess i'll turn down the radio when I leave from work today :'(
Old 02-24-2005, 01:14 AM
4th Gear

I bought 2005 a month ago, and I'm experiencing exactly same thing. It happens everytime right after the car had been parked for a long time. I drove VW Jetta before, and never experienced same thing. Seems like not a common thing happening with ABS..
Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope...

After having my TL nearly a year now, I've never experienced any odd sounds from the car, including the ABS test.

What I do hear every day, as I'm driving away, is the sound of the doors automatically locking at around 5 - 10 mph. Can't say I've felt that through the pedal, but then again I'm not looking for it either.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Hi,
I do feel it after the car is parked for awhile or overnight.. I feel it when the car is rolling about 5-10mph.. it's a fast click for a second in the acceleration pedal.. I was told it was the ABS. I aslo feel the same click but longer when I brake on a slippery or wet conditioned road... or fast and sudden braking...

1) are both of those clicks due to ABS?
2) Does anyone have the similar experience with my second description?
3) Assuming it's normal and won't harm the car in the long run?

thank you for answering the question
Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 AM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Yeah, they are both the ABS....2nd most definately is the ABS.
Felt the same thing in my '03 TL-s...Its normal.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

Hey all.

I got my 04 TL july last year and after about a mouth or two I got the "Click/Thump/Flap/Clunk Noise, gas pedal vibration". Came here and found the threads discussing that it was the ABS check. Now it’s been about mouth and a half since the a1 service and guess what, yup, the noise is gone.

So if it was the ABS check, should I be concerned that it’s not there anymore? Note that did have the “opportunity” to use the ABS about 2 weeks ago, so I do know that it does still work.

Or was something fixed during the service that was not noted in the paperwork? I had the service done at Autowest Acura Of Stevens Creek.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else get a "click" noise when ... ? 3G Garage # A-004