AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Does acura still give out loaner vehicles? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/does-acura-still-give-out-loaner-vehicles-802284/)

con5tant 12-23-2010 11:45 AM

Does acura still give out loaner vehicles?

I went to bring my car into the dealership because my front passenger door stays locked for some reason. They said it would be a while probably a few days and when I asked if i could get a loaner they said "we can give you an enterprise rental" wtf is this the same thing? My acuracare says rental :yes. does this mean acuracare will pay for the rental car?

princelybug 12-23-2010 11:55 AM

This depends on which stealership you frequent. Loaners are not "required" to be provided, but the stealer provides them out of courtesy. So, some do, and some don't.

If they offer you an Enterprise rental, it is most likely the same thing. The only thing they'll require you to do is keep the fuel level the way it was when you borrowed the car. In most "Acura" loaners, you don't have to refuel, but again, some stealerships require you do that as well. I've had loaners where I didn't refuel and they were fine with it.

It all depends on the stealership. BTW, where are you located, OP?

con5tant 12-23-2010 12:01 PM

they told me to bring my car back after the holidays... this is at los gatos acura (first time ive been there) acuracare should pick up the tab on the rental correct?

princelybug 12-23-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by con5tant (Post 12582669)
they told me to bring my car back after the holidays... this is at los gatos acura (first time ive been there) acuracare should pick up the tab on the rental correct?

I would think so, but the only way for you to be sure is to call and ask them.

CarbonBronzeRocketTypeS 12-23-2010 12:49 PM

Yeah Dealerships are still offering rentals to their customers. I just recently had my acura worked on and the dealership ran out of loaners for me to use. They ended up offering me enterprise as a last resort for a rental vehicle. To say the least I rather would've walked 30 miles to work then drive the 2009 Base POS Ford Focus I was given to drive around in for 1 day. 11K on the ODO but it rattles like an eartquake inside that car and is soooooooooo boriiiiiiing to drive I thought I would literally kill myself in that thing. Plus giong from Driving a 08 Type S to a ford focus was like Acura Giving me the finger for having my shit fixed under warranty lol. Plus they only pay for the cheapest enterprise package which landed me that Ford in the first place.

con5tant 12-23-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonBronzeRocketTypeS (Post 12582821)
Yeah Dealerships are still offering rentals to their customers. I just recently had my acura worked on and the dealership ran out of loaners for me to use. They ended up offering me enterprise as a last resort for a rental vehicle. To say the least I rather would've walked 30 miles to work then drive the 2009 Base POS Ford Focus I was given to drive around in for 1 day. 11K on the ODO but it rattles like an eartquake inside that car and is soooooooooo boriiiiiiing to drive I thought I would literally kill myself in that thing. Plus giong from Driving a 08 Type S to a ford focus was like Acura Giving me the finger for having my shit fixed under warranty lol. Plus they only pay for the cheapest enterprise package which landed me that Ford in the first place.

this dealership has loaners but i dont think they're gonna give me one >:O i dont want a pos enterprise rental

wantedTL/TS 12-23-2010 01:06 PM

My car has been at the dealership since last Friday and they gave me a loaner that I'll have til after the new year.

Car went in for 3rd gear TSB - said parts are backordered right now and that it would take a while to get in.

They gave me a 2010 TL though. Dashboard looks cheap IMO, but drives pretty nice. The only downfall is the "LOANER VEHICLE" sticker from Acura on the back window! :ugh:

myron 12-23-2010 01:15 PM

in Canada they don't give you loaner cars haha I have never seen any dealership give anyone a car before. When you drop off your car, they offer to drive you where you need to go. And then you are on your own till they fix it or what ever. I think you can tell them to pick you up when you need to get the car.

con5tant 12-23-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by wantedTL/TS (Post 12582875)
My car has been at the dealership since last Friday and they gave me a loaner that I'll have til after the new year.

Car went in for 3rd gear TSB - said parts are backordered right now and that it would take a while to get in.

They gave me a 2010 TL though. Dashboard looks cheap IMO, but drives pretty nice. The only downfall is the "LOANER VEHICLE" sticker from Acura on the back window! :ugh:

ahhh what a prick now i cant open my front passenger door until after jan 3rd...

MofroS 12-23-2010 01:20 PM

Usually if you make an appointment they will reserve a loaner for you.

wantedTL/TS 12-23-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by con5tant (Post 12582907)
ahhh what a prick now i cant open my front passenger door until after jan 3rd...

???? confused by what you said in comparison to what you highlighted/bolded on my original posting!

con5tant 12-23-2010 02:24 PM

oh.. just mad at the service adviser for telling me to come back after the holidays and not giving me another car which has functioning doors until then

CarbonBronzeRocketTypeS 12-23-2010 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by wantedTL/TS (Post 12582875)

I too had a chance to drive a 2010 TL and a TSX V6 as loaners!

The Exterior styling on the new TSX's is nice but the interior was way to distatsteful in my opinion it was way too similar to the 2009-2010 accords for the price premium. The interior of the TL 2010 with navi though is quiet amazing though.

wantedTL/TS 12-23-2010 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by con5tant (Post 12583067)
oh.. just mad at the service adviser for telling me to come back after the holidays and not giving me another car which has functioning doors until then

Gotcha! :)

Yeah, he was more than courteous to me. He said that loaners are typically a day only "loan", but due to my circumstances I'll basically have it for 2-2.5 weeks. He was perfectly okay with it too!

wantedTL/TS 12-23-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonBronzeRocketTypeS (Post 12583239)
I too had a chance to drive a 2010 TL and a TSX V6 as loaners!

The Exterior styling on the new TSX's is nice but the interior was way to distatsteful in my opinion it was way too similar to the 2009-2010 accords for the price premium. The interior of the TL 2010 with navi though is quiet amazing though.

Yeah the 2010 TL I have right now doesn't have navi, so I can't comment on it, but it's not too bad of a ride. The projector lenses are a lot better than the 08 TL's.

Wider beam pattern and a sharper cutoff.

Flipster23 12-23-2010 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by wantedTL/TS (Post 12583241)
Gotcha! :)

Yeah, he was more than courteous to me. He said that loaners are typically a day only "loan", but due to my circumstances I'll basically have it for 2-2.5 weeks. He was perfectly okay with it too!

really I had my 4th gen TL for like 2 weeks my sister had her loaner for a month

guess there all different

nj2pa2nc 12-23-2010 03:42 PM

I have no problem getting a loaner car from the acura dealer I use. Of course I give them advance notice when I need one. They only have a certain amount of them. Most of the time I keep the loaner car overnight. I also had a loaner car for almost a month-

stiffdogg06 12-23-2010 04:14 PM

I went to take my TL in for greasing of the window tracks and to look at the brakes. Took over a day and they gave me a 2010 Acura TL with Navi.:thumbsup:

Dave_W 12-23-2010 04:24 PM

Whether or not you get a loaner car is dependent on how many cars the service department has in use. A loaner car is something you want to reserve at least 2 weeks in advance if you know your car is in need of service. The Acura dealership I worked at from 06- 08 had over 40 loaners when I started. I think it was in 07 when the economy started to get bad that my dealership cut its loaner car fleet in half. Doesnt matter what service you are getting, just make sure to reserve a car. I have literally seen customers go in for the timing belt service and get the crappiest tsx loaner the dealership had, then the guy that reserved a loaner in advance drops his car off for an oil change and got to drive the only RL loaner my dealership had back then to work which was three miles away.

ggesq 12-23-2010 05:40 PM

I always get a loaner if I request it. I have a good relationship with a couple of the Service Advisors at Ferman Acura.

con5tant 12-23-2010 07:05 PM

i see... thanks for the responses. i've never been to this dealership before. i use to go to kearny mesa acura in san diego before i moved up north. they would give me a loaner even if i didnt bring my car in for service. lol. they were awesome. thats why this sort of struck me as strange. the service director emailed me and said this

Our loaner vehicles must first be available for owners of vehicles that are coming in for warranty within the 4 year/50k mile original warranty period. Then, if available, we can use them for other clients. Occasionally, even these clients are put into rental cars due to loaner availability. Unfortunately, we just don’t have enough loaner cars to give to every client. Your appointment says “rental/loaner” in it so we will do our best for you when you arrive.

shftl 12-23-2010 08:58 PM

Honda doesn't require dealers to offer loaners, but they encourage it by offering the dealers sweet deals on cars that will be used as loaners, and I was told that Honda also reimburses part or all of the fuel costs.

I had a loaner '11 with nav for about two weeks while the dealership waited for a part (I think Honda is saving money by keeping a thin inventory in the warehouse). It was a nice ride, but I was happy to get my own back. My wife really liked it though...I may have a problem there...

They've given me a TSX a couple of times. They're a blast to drive for a day or two, but the interior feels cramped.

Dave W is absolutely right--you need to reserve in advance. Not a lot of help when you have an emergency, though.

b.ike 12-23-2010 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by myron (Post 12582898)
in Canada they don't give you loaner cars haha I have never seen any dealership give anyone a car before. When you drop off your car, they offer to drive you where you need to go. And then you are on your own till they fix it or what ever. I think you can tell them to pick you up when you need to get the car.

Really? Ive inquired at the southside acura and they said they would give loaners depending on the situation.
And Westside Honda up to a few years ago gave out loaners. But now they do the shuttle thing.

peters_sweet_CL 12-24-2010 12:39 AM

the dealership i go to always give me one...and they let me pick if there is a choice too...but they do want the gas around the same as it was

ACE32TL 12-24-2010 01:12 AM

my dealer always provides me a loaner if my vehicle is gonna take all day or more to service. Ive gotten a 10 and 11 TL w/ tech pkg. The keyless entry is addictive and a must have feature on my next car.

Sutitan 12-24-2010 07:10 AM

I lost my temper last time I tried to get a loaner from my dealership. I called them for a service I needed done, and asked if they had loaners. They said they would have none in till next week friday (a little over a weeks wait). I said fine and I made an appointment to drop of my car for service and pick up a loaner. They day finally came, dropped off my car and they informed me there was no loaner. I kept calm. They offered me a car from the rental place next door to which I agreed. I walked over to pick up my car and they wondered if I wanted to pay XX amount of dollars for an upgrade. I tried to keep my cool, understanding that it was probably just protocal for them to ask, but I snapped a little. All good, I get some old Hyundia or Kia (I forgot). After my service, I came to pick up my car and the service guy tells me I needed to change my brake pads at which point I flipped (I had just changed them maybe 5k miles ago). Needless to say I wouldn't ever go back, which kind of sucks since all my previous experiences with the dealer where above excellent.

nj2pa2nc 12-24-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sutitan (Post 12584296)
I lost my temper last time I tried to get a loaner from my dealership. I called them for a service I needed done, and asked if they had loaners. They said they would have none in till next week friday (a little over a weeks wait). I said fine and I made an appointment to drop of my car for service and pick up a loaner. They day finally came, dropped off my car and they informed me there was no loaner. I kept calm. They offered me a car from the rental place next door to which I agreed. I walked over to pick up my car and they wondered if I wanted to pay XX amount of dollars for an upgrade. I tried to keep my cool, understanding that it was probably just protocal for them to ask, but I snapped a little. All good, I get some old Hyundia or Kia (I forgot). After my service, I came to pick up my car and the service guy tells me I needed to change my brake pads at which point I flipped (I had just changed them maybe 5k miles ago). Needless to say I wouldn't ever go back, which kind of sucks since all my previous experiences with the dealer where above excellent.

sorry about that. The dealers only have a certain amount of loaner cars. Sometimes the previous customer does not return the car when they are supposed to and then the next customer has no loaner car.

wantedTL/TS 12-24-2010 07:36 AM

Question, and this may be dependent on each dealer, but will they reimburse you for fuel that you put in the loaner??

nj2pa2nc 12-24-2010 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by wantedTL/TS (Post 12584307)
Question, and this may be dependent on each dealer, but will they reimburse you for fuel that you put in the loaner??

since you do not have to pay for use of the loaner car I doubt they will reimburse you for the fuel you use. I know some dealers want you to refill the tank but not all.

wantedTL/TS 12-24-2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc (Post 12584311)
since you do not have to pay for use of the loaner car I doubt they will reimburse you for the fuel you use. I know some dealers want you to refill the tank but not all.

That's what my gut was going with, and what logistically made sense. Wasn't sure though. :thumbsup:

ACE32TL 12-24-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by wantedTL/TS (Post 12584307)

I doubt it, but like u said may be dependent on the dealer. My dealer just told me to return it and dont refuel. The 11 TL only had 16 miles on it and the dealer said people will just put regular fuel in them and they would rather refuel it with the proper premium on such a new car i guess.

jchan2 12-24-2010 10:30 AM

I've had issues securing a loaner car when I go for service and have yet to get one...

In Athens the Acura dealer there says loaners require that the primary driver be 21+ for insurance reasons, and here at home you only get loaners if you bought the car from them, and only if you're "doing more than an oil change".

I tried to get a loaner at home over Thanksgiving and they said they wouldn't have any until the week after next, but both dealers (Athens and Nashville) offered to drop me off/pick me up...

Ultimately, it wasn't that big of a deal since we have a variety of cars available here at home, but if the TSX were my only car, it would be mighty inconvenient considering the Acura dealer here at home is a good 30 minutes away for me.

Whenever my dad went to the Infiniti dealer he would always be able to get a loaner, even for a simple oil change, and he often kept them overnight, drove to work the next day, and returned the car after work.

jc70ss 12-24-2010 11:44 AM

My dealer always does. They let you pick your car. This year I had a 10 RL, MDX, TL. Makes me sad when I have to give them back:yuck:

Dave_W 12-24-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc (Post 12584305)
sorry about that. The dealers only have a certain amount of loaner cars. Sometimes the previous customer does not return the car when they are supposed to and then the next customer has no loaner car.

This is very true and happened a lot at the Acura Dealership where I worked. Sometimes it was the entire weekend before a customer would return the car and we noticed it was the same customers doing this, so they got enterprise cars thereafter.

Elegant TYPE S 12-24-2010 03:51 PM

My dealer only loans out fully loaded ZDX's. I had one for 3 weeks while they were working on my car.

jchan2 12-24-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_W (Post 12584715)
This is very true and happened a lot at the Acura Dealership where I worked. Sometimes it was the entire weekend before a customer would return the car and we noticed it was the same customers doing this, so they got enterprise cars thereafter.

Do the dealerships not charge a late fee if you return it late? When my dad got Infiniti loaners the loan car agreement that he signed before leaving stated that after you were notified the car was ready, you had a set amount of time (I think it was 24 hours, or 1 business day) to pick up the car or they'd charge you $50/day for the loaner until you returned it.

Mileage was unlimited, though, so my dad always drove to work (55 miles) and back before turning in the car.

Dave_W 12-25-2010 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by jchan2 (Post 12585296)
Do the dealerships not charge a late fee if you return it late? When my dad got Infiniti loaners the loan car agreement that he signed before leaving stated that after you were notified the car was ready, you had a set amount of time (I think it was 24 hours, or 1 business day) to pick up the car or they'd charge you $50/day for the loaner until you returned it.

Mileage was unlimited, though, so my dad always drove to work (55 miles) and back before turning in the car.

The one I worked for never did in the entire 2 years I worked there. Of course that could be different from one dealership to another.

nj2pa2nc 12-25-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jchan2 (Post 12585296)

From personal experience we have never been charged a late fee and mileage was unlimited. A few times we dropped our car off on a saturday and were able to keep the loaner car until Monday. (the dealer had no problem with that since they knew ahead of time). Many times now when we have our car serviced we get to keep the loaner car overnight. We travel from NJ to the dealer in PA (125 miles one-way)

Jackass 12-25-2010 11:17 PM

I have always gotten a loaner for anything more than an oil change from Jay Wolfe in KC. My last issue was with my climate control and they gave me a new MDX for a week while they figured out what the issue was. Their basic request is that you return it with the same amount of fuel as it had when you got it. Pretty fair deal I must say since I am not putting miles on my own car and getting to test drive a newer model.

dmdk 12-26-2010 06:06 PM

Ive always gotten a loaner, went by the other day to set up a repair appt, and my usually guy no loner works there. So this other guy barley looks at me and says we dont give out loaners for an alignment. I reply, oh really , for the past 6yrs I've never left without a loaner. He looks on the computer at past history and say he will have one waiting.