Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does The 04 TL Play DVD Movies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 05:46 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does The 04 TL Play DVD Movies?

Does anybody no if the 04 tl plays regular dvd movies. if not does anybody no how to make it play dvd movies?
Old 09-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Racer

Re: Does The 04 TL Play DVD Movies?

Originally posted by RJ3TL
Does anybody no if the 04 tl plays regular dvd movies. if not does anybody no how to make it play dvd movies?
It doesn't have a DVD player, so it won't play DVD movies. The new TL has a DVD-audio system which delivers better sound to your music providing that the CD you're playing has DVD-quality sound.

I guess you can always install an after-market DVD player if you want to watch DVD movies in your car.

If I was driving the TL, I'd be enjoying the car more than anything else.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

What RJ3TL might be asking is will the DVD-based navigation play a DVD movie, similar to the Nissan/Infiniti navigation? That probably won't be answered until someone tries it. I do know that the 2001 Acura nav system will not play dvd movies.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Time will tell....
Old 09-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Yes - it will.

The Navigation System will play DVD movies, but only while in PARK.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Advanced

It would be nice if the DVD player did play regular "movies" full time but just not send the video to the navi screen unless the car was in park, since this would allow you to listen to concert dvd's in 5.1 while driving. Who actually owns dvd-audio discs?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Advanced

it has been confirmed that it will NOT play dvd..it has dvd-AUDIO
Old 09-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
DVD Audio system? NO. Audio only.

On the Navi? Yes, this has been done before.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Re: Yes - it will.

press release says it wont..
BUT any dvd-audio player will play dvd VIDEO..
I am sure some quick mod to the car will enable viewing..

Originally posted by snm_0706
The Navigation System will play DVD movies, but only while in PARK.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Re: Re: Yes - it will.

Originally posted by amdmaxx
press release says it wont..
BUT any dvd-audio player will play dvd VIDEO..
I am sure some quick mod to the car will enable viewing..
Umm no, they're not the same format.

Only the NAVI will play DVD videos.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:45 AM
10th Gear

DVD audio and DVD video are not the same format? My Pioneer deck is a 7" DVD in dash player that plays DVD-audio as well. We shouldn't hope that the acura will do the same? I know the press release says it won't, but original press releases also said 280 hp...can't trust everything you hear.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:05 AM
Advanced

DVD-Audio is strictly an audio system, has nothing to do with dvd vedio, this is from hondanews.com:

In addition, the TL system will also play conventional cassettes. CDs, DTS discs and DVD audio discs can be loaded into the 6-disc, in-dash changer. DVD audio is the next step in audio reproduction technology. Many new releases are being issued in this new format, and many older recordings are being re-mastered and reissued to take advantage of the superior sound that DVD audio offers. With over 500 times higher resolution than CD audio, DVD audio delivers smoother, fuller and far more accurate sound through six discrete channels. The TL is the first North American standard production application of this new technology. (The system will not play DVD movies, DVD-V, DVD-R/RW, MP3 or WMA media.) "

this is from justinjsw from acura.tsx who went on R/D , the exact address is http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=2365

herez another thread:
Originally posted by Peter7777
[Justin, I hate to beat a dead horse, but then again why not? When you say that you tried "it" do you mean that you actually placed a DVD in the trunk DVD player and came up with nada? Go ahead say it, say, "Come on Peter can't you read English.". I can take it! ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justinjsw:
I placed a DVD-video in the Navi unit to see if it will play movies while the car was in park...Answer...NO! Then I asked one of the Acura techs about playing movies in the TL navi unit...he said there are NO software to support video playback.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

The people here that have said, yes it will, on what are you basing your comments?
Old 09-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There seems to be some confusion here. DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, and CD are COMPLETELY different formats. Sure, a manufacturer can make a device that supports, 1, 2, or all 3 of these formats, but that is up to the manufacturer's discretion.

A DVD-Audio player will play DVD-Audio discs.. and those are of a superior sound quality than CDs. There is no way a DVD-Audio player can play CDs better than a good CD player.

If Acura says that the DVD-Audio player does not play regular video DVDs, I would take their word for it. This player will play DVD-A and CD.

FYI, the audio on a DVD-Video disc is COMPRESSED and LOSSY (either Dolby Digital or DTS). On the other hand, DVD-Audio is LOSSLESS (although it is compressed with MLP). Therefore, the sound from a well mastered DVD-A disc will be of a superior quality to the sound on a DVD-VIDEO disc.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Racer

Re: Re: Does The 04 TL Play DVD Movies?

Originally posted by lamster
The new TL has a DVD-audio system which delivers better sound to your music providing that the CD you're playing has DVD-quality sound.
The above statement is false. The DVD-Audio system will deliver better sound if you play DVD-As (as opposed to CDs). It will play CDs as good (or as bad) as any regular CD player.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Instructor

If you put a DVD music video into the DVD-A player, does it play the audio portion of the DVD or is it a different format all together. I am not an audiophile.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally posted by OldGuy
If you put a DVD music video into the DVD-A player, does it play the audio portion of the DVD or is it a different format all together. I am not an audiophile.
It will play nothing, unless the manufacturer of the DVD-A player has also built in support for DVD-Video discs. The audio portion of a DVD-Video is encoded in either DTS or Dolby Digital, neither of which a standard DVD-A player will know what to do with. DVD-A streams are PCM, compressed with Meridian Lossless Packing.

In the strictest definition possible, a DVD-A player will ONLY play DVD-A discs. I believe the DVD-A player in the 2004 TL will play DVD-A discs, regular CDs, and multichannel DTS CDs, as the DVD-A manufacturer has built in additional support for regular 2-channel PCM CDs as well as DTS-encoded multichannel CDs.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Racer

Let me also add that almost every DVD-A manufacturer has (if not all.. I would be very suprised if there was a mfgr that hasn't) designed their DVD-A player to support regular CDs as well. It would be stupid to make people buy separate players for DVD-A and CD, especially since DVD-A is supposed to replace CD... it should be backwards-compatible. SACD is a whole different story though...... anyway, as far as DVD-A players go, some will support DVD-Video and some won't.. and the 2004 TL player is one that won't (according the current press releases from Acura).
Old 09-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

I didn't think that I was inaccurate when I posted that
the TL would allow DVD movies to be played while the
automobile is in PARK - I distinctly remember seeing that in a
prerelease specifications article.

If I was wrong - apologies.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by snm_0706
I didn't think that I was inaccurate when I posted that
the TL would allow DVD movies to be played while the
automobile is in PARK - I distinctly remember seeing that in a
prerelease specifications article.

If I was wrong - apologies.
The Edmunds site claims it will play them...

"Identical in size to regular CDs, DVD-A discs can hold more, allowing them to house six-channel recordings. When played in surround sound, DVD-A discs offer up to 500 times the resolution of a normal CD. DVD-A discs are becoming more widely available in music stores, but if your taste isn't mainstream, you'll probably have to wait awhile to take advantage of this new format. Fortunately, regular CDs also sound great in the TL, and if you opt for the navigation system, you'll be able to watch regular DVDs when the vehicle is in park. The stereo does not accommodate MP3s, because, according to the company PR staff, in keeping with the car's sophisticated image there had to be a cut-off point for sound quality."

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/a...ntent.num1.2.*
Old 09-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Banned

YES
Old 09-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Retired MOD

The TL does have a DVD player or in other words a Multi DVD reader like the one on your computer, which reads DVD's, CD's, etc. DVD ( Digital Versatile Disk) which has nothing to do with video, but widely used to store MPEG-2 video format (DVD movies). To watch DVD's videos on the TL, you would need a MPEG-2 decoder and DTS/Dolby decoder for sound or just play it in stereo. The TL has 2 DVD players (readers) one in the trunk wich is DVD-ROM, can't play DVD-A's nor DVD videos. They used DVD's for the huge capacity to store the maps and everything else. The other DVD player(reader) is in the dash, which also reads audio CD's. Without an MPEG-2 decoder, you can't play DVD movies on either one of the DVD players on the TL.

Some more info attached.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by rhizopod
There seems to be some confusion here. DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, and CD are COMPLETELY different formats. Sure, a manufacturer can make a device that supports, 1, 2, or all 3 of these formats, but that is up to the manufacturer's discretion.

A DVD-Audio player will play DVD-Audio discs.. and those are of a superior sound quality than CDs. There is no way a DVD-Audio player can play CDs better than a good CD player.

If Acura says that the DVD-Audio player does not play regular video DVDs, I would take their word for it. This player will play DVD-A and CD.

FYI, the audio on a DVD-Video disc is COMPRESSED and LOSSY (either Dolby Digital or DTS). On the other hand, DVD-Audio is LOSSLESS (although it is compressed with MLP). Therefore, the sound from a well mastered DVD-A disc will be of a superior quality to the sound on a DVD-VIDEO disc.
you are correct except DVD-A is not compressed with MLP. MLP is a non compressed format.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Bitium
The TL does have a DVD player or in other words a Multi DVD reader like the one on your computer, which reads DVD's, CD's, etc. DVD ( Digital Versatile Disk) which has nothing to do with video, but widely used to store MPEG-2 video format (DVD movies). To watch DVD's videos on the TL, you would need a MPEG-2 decoder and DTS/Dolby decoder for sound or just play it in stereo. The TL has 2 DVD players (readers) one in the trunk wich is DVD-ROM, can't play DVD-A's nor DVD videos. They used DVD's for the huge capacity to store the maps and everything else. The other DVD player(reader) is in the dash, which also reads audio CD's. Without an MPEG-2 decoder, you can't play DVD movies on either one of the DVD players on the TL.

Some more info attached.
u r wrong on the first sentence, TL does NOT have dvd player, it has DVD-Audio player...which will also be backward compatable with normal cds, and just like cds, it will play AUDIO only, has nothing to do with VIDEO..well, if u r talking about aftermarket modding or customizing, then, anything is possible, heck, u can put a DVD +PS2 system on honda civis lol
Old 09-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Bitium
you are correct except DVD-A is not compressed with MLP. MLP is a non compressed format.
WRONG. MLP stands for Merdian Lossless Packing. It is a compression algorithm, however it is LOSSLESS, compared to DTS or Dolby Digital (which are lossy), meaning the original encoding is recovered fully in the decoding phase without any loss of information, at least theoretically.

http://www.ambisonic.net/mlp.html

And DVD-A does employ MLP:

http://www.seneschal.net/papers/mlp.htm
Old 09-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Banned

he only asked if it will play video, not wut dvd-a means.

haha/

the navigation system is NOT dvd-A
its normal DVD format also

Old 09-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Nick79
he only asked if it will play video, not wut dvd-a means.

haha/

the navigation system is NOT dvd-A
its normal DVD format also

To whom is this post directed?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by rhizopod
WRONG. MLP stands for Merdian Lossless Packing. It is a compression algorithm, however it is LOSSLESS, compared to DTS or Dolby Digital (which are lossy), meaning the original encoding is recovered fully in the decoding phase without any loss of information, at least theoretically.

http://www.ambisonic.net/mlp.html

And DVD-A does employ MLP:

http://www.seneschal.net/papers/mlp.htm
I stand corrected
Old 09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by ghost
u r wrong on the first sentence, TL does NOT have dvd player, it has DVD-Audio player...which will also be backward compatable with normal cds, and just like cds, it will play AUDIO only, has nothing to do with VIDEO..well, if u r talking about aftermarket modding or customizing, then, anything is possible, heck, u can put a DVD +PS2 system on honda civis lol
how do you differentiate a DVD player against DVD-audio player???

The TL does have a DVD player or like I said a DVD reader, that allows to phisically read DVD's and CD's not mater what is on the media (video, audio, rom) of course it only understands DVD-Audio format, but that is pass the optical lense that reads DVD's.

In my words if the optical lense can read DVD's is a DVD player.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Hopefully it will moddable to get some video inputs like the 01-03 navi screens are. Then you can hide a PS2 somewhere or other and use the LCD screen. I doubt it will be possible to use the DVD reader provided without loosing lots of functionality.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Advanced

All this discussion prompted me to do a (small) bit of research about DVD audio. I know some of you out there are probably also audio freaks as well as TL freaks, so please correct any errors or oversimplifications. It seems that DVD-Audio is a format for capturing the entire master recording on a disc - as has been pointed out, no loss of data through compression. Most DVD-audio players you could buy at home would also play DVD video and CD formats, but it wouldn't surprise me if the DVD-Audio player in a car's dash would NOT play DVD-video. And in any case, the audio portion of a DVD-video, while it is separated into the "5.1" channels, is still only about as good as a CD. So, if DVD-Audio is so good you'd probably want to buy at least a few discs to play in your TL, then you'd probably want to play them at home in your surround sound system, right? Well, the DVD-video player you have at home may not play DVD-audio, especially if like mine it is a bit older. And then, before you go out and buy one, you'd want to check whether your receiver can accept DVD-audio inputs, which are (someone help me with this) a set of six RCA analog jacks, one for each speaker (Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center, and LFE(subwoofer)). I was pretty impressed by the potential of a separate signal for each speaker, but was even more amazed to find that my ~3-year old Yamaha receiver had the 6-channel inputs needed. So . . . if you get the TL with the awesome stereo, you need to buy DVD-audio discs to really appreciate it, then you need to upgrade your home equipment if you want to play your new discs when you're not driving. However, when I looked I didn't see a tremendous selection of music in DVD-audio - yet.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Fencesitter
<cut>...However, when I looked I didn't see a tremendous selection of music in DVD-audio - yet.
not yet unfortunately...but there *is* some stuff I am really excited to hear in DVD-A....Beck is just about to release his new album "sea change", and Metallica's "Black Album" has been out for a while...there is also quite a few classic rock albums that will be great....I've listend to some of my favourite bands in 5.1 surround that have released stuff on DVD video and it is such an experience...I can't wait until I get my TL and listen to what is available and

...and the record companies like the idea of DVD-A b/c is is almost impossible to pirate...and the consumers will get a great product, so I see it as a win-win situation..this coming from someone who has never burned a shizzy-ass .mp3 before because
a) its stealing and that is just wrong no matter how you look at it
b) it sounds like shiz on any good stereo...and don't give me any "if it is 256K then it is great" BS...that may be true on your 3-watt POS computer speakers but get any $1500+ audio system then it truly sux bollocks...