Sponsored by:

Do I need new hood hydraulic lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Do I need new hood hydraulic lifts?

I just bought a carbon fiber hood for my car. I was told that I can't use the stock hood hydraulic lifts because they could crack the CF hood. Can I just use one hood lift? What about other hood lifts that don't use as much force?

I have a VIS CF hood, so why can't I just use both stock hood lifts? I thought that they would be just as strong as the metal hood (at least the underbody of the hood).

I plan on installing the CF hood today, so can someone help me out?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Im not sure if you can use the stock ones, how ever I installed my friends Carbon Creations CF hood abd hydraulic lifts on his integra and it works just fine! Id say use em!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by stavebomb
Im not sure if you can use the stock ones, how ever I installed my friends Carbon Creations CF hood abd hydraulic lifts on his integra and it works just fine! Id say use em!
Were they the stock Integra hood lifts or aftermarket? If they were aftermarket, where did he get them? Has he had any problems with them so far (hood lifts and the CF hood itself)?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:03 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NYFENIXTL have CF hood as well. Look at this thread and send him a PM to ask, you might get a first hand answer.

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/whos-got-more-loot-amy-hilfiger-paris-hilton-124826/
Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that 99% of this aftermarket stuff is crap. None of it is manufactured nearly as well as the stuff people are taking off their cars to install it. Nine times out of ten the mods make the cars drive worse and reduce the resale value. In a way a board like this encourages people to do these mods and once they are done most people will encourage others to do the same even after they are disappointed with the results themselves. The TL looks pretty damn good already. Its nice to make it somewhat unique but don't go crazy. I read one post on a board like this where the guy had $6,000 "to invest" in his mods. I think I laughed for a week.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by Neumahn
I think that 99% of this aftermarket stuff is crap. None of it is manufactured nearly as well as the stuff people are taking off their cars to install it. Nine times out of ten the mods make the cars drive worse and reduce the resale value. In a way a board like this encourages people to do these mods and once they are done most people will encourage others to do the same even after they are disappointed with the results themselves. The TL looks pretty damn good already. Its nice to make it somewhat unique but don't go crazy. I read one post on a board like this where the guy had $6,000 "to invest" in his mods. I think I laughed for a week.
That's nice, and thanks for the comments. However, they are unwanted. I need help. BTW, I don't have a TL. I have an Accord.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
That's nice, and thanks for the comments. However, they are unwanted. I need help. BTW, I don't have a TL. I have an Accord.
then why are you posting on a TL board? you post something except all types of comments, you should have just paypaled me the money instead of wasting it on a carbon fiber hood, what does it doo for you besides making the car 2 different colors?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by rbf351
then why are you posting on a TL board? you post something except all types of comments, you should have just paypaled me the money instead of wasting it on a carbon fiber hood, what does it doo for you besides making the car 2 different colors?
I didn't mean to start a war here, sheesh.

I posted on this board because the TL and Accord are very, very similar. Both cars have the hood lift hydraulic shocks. If someone else on this board has a CF hood, then I want to know how they integrated it with the hood shocks.

And to answer your question, it makes the car lighter. A lighter car gets better gas mileage and better performance.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:58 PM

I didn't mean to start a war here, sheesh.

I posted on this board because the TL and Accord are very, very similar. Both cars have the hood lift hydraulic shocks. If someone else on this board has a CF hood, then I want to know how they integrated it with the hood shocks.

And to answer your question, it makes the car lighter. A lighter car gets better gas mileage and better performance.
your pretty ignorant, you honestly think it is going to make that much of a difference? you will not notice either, and the car is not a race car, leave it the way it came. while your add it you should remove your spare tire and rear seats to save weight.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

your pretty ignorant, you honestly think it is going to make that much of a difference? you will not notice either, and the car is not a race car, leave it the way it came. while your add it you should remove your spare tire and rear seats to save weight.
Thanks for calling me ignorant. I appreciate it. Most people were friendly on this board, and then you came along.

BTW, I replaced the hood not only because it saves weight, but also because I hated the little chips all over my hood. I wanted something that would not rust in the winter for those chips, and something that I would not have to touch up.

If you're so heavy on keeping things stock, then why did you modify or add a DVD player to play on your navigation screen? That's like the pot calling the kettle black. If you notice in the thread that you started about where to place your DVD player, I was the first to answer you, and without making fun of you. We modify our cars because we want to, and because we like the results.

What's with all the hate?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Thanks for calling me ignorant. I appreciate it. Most people were friendly on this board, and then you came along.

BTW, I replaced the hood not only because it saves weight, but also because I hated the little chips all over my hood. I wanted something that would not rust in the winter for those chips, and something that I would not have to touch up.

If you're so heavy on keeping things stock, then why did you modify or add a DVD player to play on your navigation screen? That's like the pot calling the kettle black. If you notice in the thread that you started about where to place your DVD player, I was the first to answer you, and without making fun of you. We modify our cars because we want to, and because we like the results.

What's with all the hate?

it's not worth fighting, they'll just lock this post up. DVD and carbon fibers hoods are 2 complety different things, my reason is because i have a 3yr that i like to keep entertained on long trips. you should have just said because you like it, and not the BS on performance, because thats all it is.

and to answer your original question, do not use the stock ones since they will probably break the hood, carbon fiber hood are very flimsy
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

it's not worth fighting, they'll just lock this post up. DVD and carbon fibers hoods are 2 complety different things, my reason is because i have a 3yr that i like to keep entertained on long trips. you should have just said because you like it, and not the BS on performance, because thats all it is.

and to answer your original question, do not use the stock ones since they will probably break the hood, carbon fiber hood are very flimsy
It doesn't matter if they are different, they are modifications.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I called the place where I bought the hood and they said I should just use one of the hood shocks, and not both. I hope that everything works out.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Careful with using only one hood shock. You will apply uneven pressure when closing the hood and risk tweaking it. Good luck tho.