Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: My Clearing of Tails Voyage

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY: My Clearing of Tails Voyage

First off, I would like to thank this website and all it's fine members for giving me the motivation, knowledge, and courage to start modding my ride and sucking my bank account dry....Also.....FYI..... This mod was a pain in my MF'n ass.

Disclaimer: Do this mod at your own risk. Please don't blame me if you try this mod and screw up. I am not a pro. Just a guy on his first try. Thank you.

So, what you will need, or at least what I used was...Black silicone, Transparent glass paint & brush, Soft cloth, epoxy, masking tape, Dremel with reinforced cutting blade, pliers, Plastx, Air, alcohol, and alcohol in beer form. Oh yea, can't forget 04-05 base tails and TL-S tails. I used Depot's for the TL-s.

To start, I painted my blinker bulbs red because my red led's are still in route. I used transparent glass paint which is fine for bulbs up to 40watts or 350 degrees.

Before cutting, I taped of any areas where slag (melted plastic from cutting) could get into the housing. The slag will create scratches on the bezel. It doesn't really matter on the base tails but would recommend this when starting on the TL-S tails.

I would recommend practicing cutting on the base lights first since you won't be using these except for the clear diffusers. kind of a sloppy cut here cuz I really didn't care, but take your time when cutting open the tl-s tails and it will reduce slag and have closer gaps to close when you epoxy and silicone. But these pics show you where you need to cut.

When cutting the TL's tails, be careful on this corner. It's very easy to cut through the bezel. That's why you practice on the base first and you should have it down by the time it counts.

Before you can start pulling apart, take out these two screws.

If it's not coming apart, then there are parts that are not cut through all the way. Find Them...Eliminate them.

Now comes the fun part. Removing the bezel. You might slip into a deep depression after attempting this. However, I don't recommend anti depressants, cuz they just seem to make everyone crazier...I use beer. But to each his own.

Now remember that every scratch will show. Be careful. So at this point you will probably have to dremel to create space in order to get the bezel out. I don't have pics for this cuz I wanted to jump out a window at this point and didn't have time for it. Luckily everything turned out great for me, but it was tedious.

Once the bezel is out, use the air in a can or a compressor and blow the hell out of everything to get the slag out. There will also be slag stuck on the rim of the two pieces. most will come off by hand but some will need pliers to make it easier.

I them lightly grinded everything down to make a smooth surface to epoxy and silicone everything together.

When removing the diffuser from the blinker area you need to pop it out from the hole in the back. I used the back of a skinny screwdriver with a paper towel wrapped around it and you have to push on the left side according to this pic, and it will pop out. Then release those two tabs on the outside. and viola! Oh. and by the way. The Depot lights will actually have a little glue there so it will be a bit harder to get out.

Now clean everything really good. Don't use any cleaners or chemicals as this is all fake chrome paint. a rag and air will do, just make sure all debris and finger prints are gone.

Now assemble everything. Epoxy. Then silicone.

When everything dries. Use the PlasticX, soft cloth, and elbow grease to buff out your new bad ass cleared tails and they should look like this.

More pics to come. On the ride of course.

Thank you...Love you...Goodnite...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's really sweet! Great write up w/photos and all!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You lie!! This is the work of a professional! Great work and awesome results.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
You lie!! This is the work of a professional! Great work and awesome results.
Lol..Thanks. But I'm really a newbie. I'm kind of a perfectionist tho, so I put all my effort into it.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Here are some crappy phone pics for u guys.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Instructor

^^ Damn I gotta get my side markers on.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Great write up, but remember the more you grind down, the more of a gap that needs to be closed which can lead to more problems of getting it flush within the cars bumpers and rear quarter panels. I would also recommend using gloves because EVERYTHING shows. Also when you cut into it tail light some areas need caution because its very easy to cut into the bezel inside.

Did you have fun getting the bezel back in? Not so much fun and its probably the hardest part.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude that looks sick. Nice work with the lights
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Damn those look great. I love them.

You should look into getting LEDs for the turn signals so that huge bulb isn't in there.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Great job .. But i cant do that too hard lol
Old 05-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Great write up, but remember the more you grind down, the more of a gap that needs to be closed which can lead to more problems of getting it flush within the cars bumpers and rear quarter panels. I would also recommend using gloves because EVERYTHING shows. Also when you cut into it tail light some areas need caution because its very easy to cut into the bezel inside.

Did you have fun getting the bezel back in? Not so much fun and its probably the hardest part.
I know what you mean about getting flush on the rear quarter panel. I did do a little to much grinding there. With the depot's I had fitment issues anyway , but It got worse on that rear quarter panel after the mod. I was using gloves a lot of the time too...That is a must indeed. Just forgot to mention it.

For me, getting the bezel out was harder than getting it back in. Makes me kinda wonder how we do it differently.

I have mad respect for you tho man...You do this all the time...and I hope to never do this again. After all said and done tho. The satisfaction after doin this is priceless.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 AM
socal WDP

bad ass clean tails
Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I just did this also.. and I have to say.. LET ACK DO IT.. lol.. unless you want some pain and crying in your life.. LET ACK DO IT.. Unless you want to beat yourself up and buy more taillights then you need.. LET ACK DO IT.. or if you want to experience the most annoyed feeling in your life.. LET ACK DO IT.. anyways, mine turned out great.. not perfect in my eyes.. but perfect to others.. because they dont stand up close enough to see the specs of dirt in the lens lol .. but I will forever know that it is in there..

Anyways, here is how my taillights turned out.. (Base Depo 07-08 taillights, carbon fiber over red reflector, removed "frost" piece, and custom painted gunmetal bezel)

Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bzyrice, those lights look very good.

Pharonocon: they look very professional, but to me they look too clear. There is almost no read read in the taillight. This could lead to problems with the cops. But as always, " if you like it, that's all that matters."
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Is that a problem if they arent red when you aren't braking? Because they will still light up red which is all that I thought would matter
Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Damn, those tails look great-especially on a Silver TL.

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City-ONE MONTH AWAY!!!.
Click here for details and to sign up!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-07-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRTaylor
Is that a problem if they arent red when you aren't braking? Because they will still light up red which is all that I thought would matter
I live in Oregon. Oregon law says there must be red reflector to distinguish the rear of the car. It also says that red LED's is okay as well. The law doesn' specify if the led's have to be a seperate entity from the tail light itself. So, I have been driving around with a copy of the law in my glove box. I will be praying for the best if I get pulled over, but technically i do have led's in the rear of the car.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Bzyrice, those tails are sweet. Im lovin the carbon fiber in there.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Drifting

This is what I did to rememdy the covered rear red reflector.. I posted this in my progress thread, but I dont think people go to the last page to see my updates lol

So here is what I did:
I took the my 04 TL bumper and hacked the crap out of it, Then I placed real carbon fiber in the opening of the type s rear lip rather than the garnish. Then I took my newly replaced red sidemakers and shaved the corner down so that it fit snug in the hole. Then I placed a bunch of painters tape behind the carbon fiber and red rear reflector just to make sure I liked it. Mounted it with some heavy duty tape once I decided i liked it, and put the bumper on the car! I think it looks OEM and I think it looks great!! I MAY smoke the rear reflectors.. just not sure yet.. the chinese tl helped inspire me to put the reflectors down there. You can also see how my taillights look without the frosted internal piece. They looks SOOO SIIICK! I MAY wire them up to light up.. just havent decided how I want them to light up yet..
Anywho onto the pics!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor

That is sick. But if you actually look at the turn signal on the closest part to the quarter panel it is actually a reflector.

OP: I always thought of doing that style but its just too much chrome IMO. This what I do when I make a clear set :
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Drifting

That is sick. But if you actually look at the turn signal on the closest part to the quarter panel it is actually a reflector.
Yah I noticed that when i had it apart! but thought that this would make sure no one would bother me! Plus I love the look of lower reflectors!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pharonocon
I live in Oregon. Oregon law says there must be red reflector to distinguish the rear of the car. It also says that red LED's is okay as well. The law doesn' specify if the led's have to be a seperate entity from the tail light itself. So, I have been driving around with a copy of the law in my glove box. I will be praying for the best if I get pulled over, but technically i do have led's in the rear of the car.
Huh...I didn't think that law existed cuz I was thinking of having ACK do mine but I'm not sure about the red thing for NC. I'll just have to do some research I guess.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Instructor

OP: I always thought of doing that style but its just too much chrome IMO. This what I do when I make a clear set :

I can't see any difference. Mine are the tl-s bezel and housing with the base clear diffusers. Isn't that what yours are? or am I completely missing something? I'm looking at this on my phone so that could be why.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Instructor

New pics with LED's in

So I have had my LED's and sidemarkers in for some time now and got rid of that ugly ass temporary bulb I painted, I've just been lazy. So anyhow, here you go. License plate number and all.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Did you use resistors? This may be a problem if you plan on upgrading to switchbacks.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 AM
Instructor

Did you use resistors? This may be a problem if you plan on upgrading to switchbacks.
Yeah, I used 6ohm 50watt resistors. Where will the problem be if I upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Tails are still looking great! What kind of LED bulb did you get for the turn signal?

And I love the LEDs in the side markers. Much better than the stock ones
Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bzyrice

that is so cool! very creative.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phambam12
that is so cool! very creative.
Yah thanks man. I've decided that when I have time the rear reflectors will light up only with the map lights, just like my puddle lights. So, after my wedding you guys will see me go crazy on my car again. Lol that's a year from now!! Haha
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Tails are still looking great! What kind of LED bulb did you get for the turn signal?

And I love the LEDs in the side markers. Much better than the stock ones
I got the High Power LX3 series from superbrightleds.

Here's the link. scroll down to the 7443's and you will see them. They are the first ones with the black socket.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html
Old 07-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
Originally Posted by Pharonocon
I can't see any difference. Mine are the tl-s bezel and housing with the base clear diffusers. Isn't that what yours are? or am I completely missing something? I'm looking at this on my phone so that could be why.
He painted the chrome of the bezel black, from what I can see.

Great job btw...Looks amazing!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
yeah looks great.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM

No more diyers hittin this mod up!?!?
Just curious!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
I will be very soon!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Just curious!
Yeah, i did nothing to crazy though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54650987@N06/5508560286/http://www.flickr.com/photos/54650987@N06/5508560286/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/54650987@N06/, on Flickr
Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Just curious!
I'm almost done mine.
Love DIYing. Was about to just get ACK to do them... but saw a pretty good deal on tail light parts that I couldn't pass up.

Originally Posted by nate_0022
I will be very soon!!
I now have a mental-race going on
I'm interested in what you have in store, Nate!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Nate...this as hard as everyone claims...seems like if you have a backup set to use whilst you mod...you'd be ok cause you can take your time.

I ono...I'm torn...I have the USR ones that were a good deal, but would like the turn signal areas to be a little smoked BUT, that said, they DO match the way I have my headlights right now (and I'm using amber rear turn signal bulbs too to keep the theme) so I've been hesitant.

Seems like the conept isn't so difficult.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM

WOW...came back to dipsets picture and was about to ask him why he had a picture of BZYRICE's TL on there...he did the same thing and has that same rear although he filled in the rear diffuser with carbon fiber and used his old red sidemarkers as reflectors for down there...NEW TSX style.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I now have a mental-race going on
I'm interested in what you have in store, Nate!
I'm just taking the parts from the taillights I originally had last spring, not sure if you remember my blacked out taillights, if not they're in my "transformation thread" in my sig. I may keep the bottom reflector red though, not sure yet. I've had problems with fitment on just about every set of taillights I've had so might as well as use my OEM ones that I KNOW fit and transfer my tinted parts in.

Last edited by nate_0022; 03-08-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_0022
I'm just taking the parts from the taillights I originally had last spring, not sure if you remember my blacked out taillights, if not they're in my "transformation thread" in my sig. I may keep the bottom reflector red though, not sure yet. I've had problems with fitment on just about every set of taillights I've had so might as well as use my OEM ones that I KNOW fit and transfer my tinted parts in.
I sure do remember.
I think keeping the red reflector would be nice. It gives it some more contrast.

Hmn... a bit scared to fully assemble my tails. I got them from a forum member.
Some parts are Eagle Eyes (according to ACK they are terrible with fitment). Some parts are OEM. Luckily there is an OEM housing... I may use the E.E cleared lens and try to mount it on the OEM housing. Would have to grind down the edges though since the cuts are very different on the two tail lights I received.

Quick Reply: DIY: My Clearing of Tails Voyage