3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Illuminated Side Sills (LED Overlays from Supercomputers)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
if you have found the white wire w/ red stripe and it still isn't working. the only thing i can tell you is try checking your grounds (black wires that are spliced to door jam switches) try making sure those are tapped correctly. pliers if necessary.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by con5tant
ohhh. yea i wiretapped that wire first and it didn't work so i thought that was the wrong one. i just tried it again and still didn't work. i crushed the shit out of the wiretaps too. think i'm just gonna go buy some better wiretaps tomorrow
I'm having issues too. Supercomputers has been great with helping and I'm going to try this again in a few days when I have time. Let us know if using different wiretaps helps.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
University of Tennessee

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah. The wire should be white with red stripe on the passenger side. If one of the Mods could correct that. Thanks!

Hopefully the new wire taps will work for you. Let us know what happens.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Guys some pointers:

1> I would not use the crimper....they dont work all the time...they didnt work when i tried to install the KP window module nor did they work this time....I would rather solder the wire

2> red and white stripe DOESNT NOT MAKE SENSE....its a white wire with red stripe....

Here are all the wires I used:

Driver Side 12V constant - red from sill - Gray with blue stripe - Found in rear sill loom
Driver front switch - front sill black wire - Green - Found in front sill loom - there were 2 green wires here....one had one silver mark the other had 2 marks....i used the one with one mark
Driver rear switch - rear sill black wire - Green with Yellow stipe - Found in rear sill loom

Passenger Side 12V constant - red from sill - White with red stripe - found in rear passenger loom
Passenger front switch - front sill black wire - white with red stripe (yes again) and this wire had 1 silver mark....i had to open the door switch to confirm this - you can find this in the front sill wire loom
Passenger rear switch - rear sill black wire - green with white stripe - found in rear door sill loom....

Also, I have a 05 Base 5AT....I opened all the door switches to confirm what wire goes to the BLACK from the door sills....

I took a knife to each wire...cut the insulation (NOT THE WIRE) and exposed the wire....once that was done i wrapped the wire from the sill around it, soldered a little and put some electrical tape....and back in the wire loom....

I will put some pix up today....
The following users liked this post:
Drewman752 (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for that, I might go out and do mine right now.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Your welcome Let me/us know how it comes out
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
So...you connected your ground wire to the passenger front constant..? I thought it was suppose to be green with white stripe for the grounds.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Racer

Did my driver side seeing as i have to go into work now, passenger will have to wait. I basically just wrote down the wire colors from swoosh and went from there with a knife and electrical tape.. I have a soldering iron but its a biggin, so i just made sure i wrapped the LED wires around the car harness wires and taped securely. They look amazing. work perfect.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 PM

So...you connected your ground wire to the passenger front constant..? I thought it was suppose to be green with white stripe for the grounds.
to be honest imagine there is no ground....there is a constant 12V and when you open the door the circuit is complete causing the light to turn on....the black wires are the switch connectors and the red wire is a 12V....i think acura ran outta colors and hence they used the same wire twice but with silver markings....i have seen multiple same color coded wires but with different silver markings on them....

Originally Posted by Drewman752
Did my driver side seeing as i have to go into work now, passenger will have to wait. I basically just wrote down the wire colors from swoosh and went from there with a knife and electrical tape.. I have a soldering iron but its a biggin, so i just made sure i wrapped the LED wires around the car harness wires and taped securely. They look amazing. work perfect.
Glad that worked for you buddy...

You can thank me by pressing the thank button on the bottom of my post plzz LOL
Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

hrmm.. interesting. since your front passenger isn't connected to the door switch does it stay on even when the door is closed?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 PM

nope....why are you so confused bro ?

i tested each sill by pressing on the switch and they would turn off when i press the on the switch.....

imagine a circuit...when you press the switch the circuit is open and the led is off....the wire is hot when the switch is unpressed....so you connect the red wire to the switch and black to a not really a 12v but a ground....everywhere its written 12v coz the wire is hot when you unpress the switch....i hope we on the same page.....
Old 06-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

some weird shit is happening with mine
connected red to this

then connected rear passenger black to this

the car thinks the door is open all the time now and the sill doesn't light up

*sill does work, i tested with car battery
Old 06-09-2011, 06:17 PM

damn...ok....the white with red you showed is located in the rear loom right ?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

no, front
Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 PM

try the rear loom....i think whats going on is you connected to the front switch wire....so it stays HOT all the time....and hence the sill doesnt go on and the circuit is "closed" all the time so that car thinks the door is open....

in the rear loom there is a white with red stripe....also open the passenger front switch to see what color code the wire is and also how many silver marks it has on it....
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
then connected rear passenger black to this

the car thinks the door is open all the time now and the sill doesn't light up

*sill does work, i tested with car battery
that's the correct green wire to tap the black negative into... but in that picture i don't even see your black wire spliced into it.

i see part of the outter green case that you removed, but did you wire the negative black wire to that green wire?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

^
yea i removed it prior to taking that picture

also, i'm waiting for others to chime in before i continue...

Last edited by con5tant; 06-09-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Racer

My rear passenger sill works fine, i got the red HOT from the sill harness in the rear white with red stripe in the rear loom... i have the black rear switch into the green with white stripe found in the rear loom. which makes the rear sill work... Now for the front, i tapped into a white with 2 red stripes doesnt work, and white with 1 red stripe. i cant find a white with red stripe and 1 silver marking in my car harness... the sill does work i hooked it to the rear so.... now im back trying to figure out which wire to tap into from the door.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

i spliced the REAR passenger white w/ red stripe, same thing as when it was in the front.

as of right now i am giving up on this mod, going to put my set up for sale on the black market (yea its pissing me off that much) when i get a chance
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Racer

i spliced the REAR passenger white w/ red stripe, same thing as when it was in the front.

as of right now i am giving up on this mod, going to put my set up for sale on the black market (yea its pissing me off that much) when i get a chance
Nope figured it out, there is no white with red strip and a single silver mark... look for a Mint color wire with 1 red stripe and 1 silver mark... and tap into that one and ull be golden... make sure you look more towards the B-Pillar also.

So just do the rear as you had it working, and look for the mint wire with red strip and 1 silver mark.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's like McDonald's...I'm loving it
Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Nope figured it out, there is no white with red strip and a single silver mark... look for a Mint color wire with 1 red stripe and 1 silver mark... and tap into that one and ull be golden... make sure you look more towards the B-Pillar also.

So just do the rear as you had it working, and look for the mint wire with red strip and 1 silver mark.
Wait what? Mint = green im assuming. So youre saying tap into the green with red stripe NOT the white with red stripe? Why is everyone else tapping into the white/red and it working and not me. Lame Im starting to think my cars wire colors are different then everyone elses

Last edited by con5tant; 06-10-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Racer

Wait what? Mint = green im assuming. So youre saying tap into the green with red stripe NOT the white with red stripe? Why is everyone else tapping into the white/red and it working and not me. Lame Im starting to think my cars wire colors are different then everyone elses
same here haha, its not a dark green like the others we have used but a very light mint color. it looks white if you dont have a clear light source on it. which i had a very bright light to look at all the wires. but yea its a mint/light green with a red stripe and 1 silver marking on it. it was underneath all the other wires in the bundle. hope this works out for out!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM

My rear passenger sill works fine, i got the red HOT from the sill harness in the rear white with red stripe in the rear loom... i have the black rear switch into the green with white stripe found in the rear loom. which makes the rear sill work... Now for the front, i tapped into a white with 2 red stripes doesnt work, and white with 1 red stripe. i cant find a white with red stripe and 1 silver marking in my car harness... the sill does work i hooked it to the rear so.... now im back trying to figure out which wire to tap into from the door.
did you open the front door switch to see ?

i liked how CONSTANT connected the rear black switch wire right to the switch....try the same for the front coz you have a HOT wire already so you just need to get to the switch wire

dont give up bro....if any of you as coming to KS for the meet, I will help you with this mod....

it looks like mint color...that is true....i had to rub on the wire to see the real color....but it still looked kinda white to me :donno:

Originally Posted by MyBabysBaby
That's like McDonald's...I'm loving it

check the door switch for the color bro....

same here haha, its not a dark green like the others we have used but a very light mint color. it looks white if you dont have a clear light source on it. which i had a very bright light to look at all the wires. but yea its a mint/light green with a red stripe and 1 silver marking on it. it was underneath all the other wires in the bundle. hope this works out for out!
thanks for helping the thread out bro....
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Racer

Yeah, i checked it after the install. i had about every wire cut open. *not the SRS wires F that haha* and was messing with the door switch while trying to figure out which one.. i ended up just pulling the foam from the B-Pillar and looking at the switch its self at what wire was going into it haha...

But thanks for your help as well!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

wait a sec...mint with red stripe... this is the same wire that goes to the front passenger door switch (at least that's what mine is; the rear passenger is dark green w white stripe and front passenger is mint with red stripe)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

front passenger switch
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Racer

yup tap ur black wire for the front sill into that one..
Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

i did
where does the red one go? now i tried white with red stripe and that didn't work
Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Racer

The red 12v constant wire goes to the white with red stripe wire in the rear wire loom*back seat area* there might be acouple so if it comes down to it, just tap into it while both ur sills are connected. and just try either or. basically your looking for a 12v source and im sure ull find it. just dont do any yellow wires as im sure those are for the SRS system.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Dude Constant....i hope you are still using the wire harness that came with the sills....

if you are planning on wiring each one individually then you will have the tap the front sill red wire to the same wire as you used for the rear sill...
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
nicely done. very informative
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
THis is the place to go if you need help installing my door sills. Tons of information. Again if you dont know electric go to any radio install shop and they can throw these on easy for you!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
front passenger switch
I'm having a GOD DAMNED NIGHTMARE hooking these up. I followed the instructions for the passenger side and now I cannot get my passenger door light, nor the front passenger sill to work. My rear sill works fine.

The problem appears to be with the front switch (yes, I plugged it back into the door jamb). So, I disconnected the sill harness wire from it, removed the crimp, taped the exposed piece of wire, plugged it back in and STILL NOTHING. So now, even without the sill hooked up, I am getting not power to my door light or the sill. Again, the rear sill works fine. HELP!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
You sure the door clip in the front is fully clicked back into position and in the right way. If your door light isnt working it seems there is an issue with your ground for the front
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by VicTL06
I'm having a GOD DAMNED NIGHTMARE hooking these up. I followed the instructions for the passenger side and now I cannot get my passenger door light, nor the front passenger sill to work. My rear sill works fine.

The problem appears to be with the front switch (yes, I plugged it back into the door jamb). So, I disconnected the sill harness wire from it, removed the crimp, taped the exposed piece of wire, plugged it back in and STILL NOTHING. So now, even without the sill hooked up, I am getting not power to my door light or the sill. Again, the rear sill works fine. HELP!
So I figured it out. Turns out that by taking out the switch connector, the actual door switch mechanism came loose. It also turns out that the screw that holds the switch into place is integral to the connection. Go figure!

So we're back on track, now! Sweet!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:17 PM

LOL...that seems to be the ground for the switch
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
Guys some pointers:

1> I would not use the crimper....they dont work all the time...they didnt work when i tried to install the KP window module nor did they work this time....I would rather solder the wire

2> red and white stripe DOESNT NOT MAKE SENSE....its a white wire with red stripe....

Here are all the wires I used:

Driver Side 12V constant - red from sill - Gray with blue stripe - Found in rear sill loom
Driver front switch - front sill black wire - Green - Found in front sill loom - there were 2 green wires here....one had one silver mark the other had 2 marks....i used the one with one mark
Driver rear switch - rear sill black wire - Green with Yellow stipe - Found in rear sill loom

Passenger Side 12V constant - red from sill - White with red stripe - found in rear passenger loom
Passenger front switch - front sill black wire - white with red stripe (yes again) and this wire had 1 silver mark....i had to open the door switch to confirm this - you can find this in the front sill wire loom
Passenger rear switch - rear sill black wire - green with white stripe - found in rear door sill loom....

Also, I have a 05 Base 5AT....I opened all the door switches to confirm what wire goes to the BLACK from the door sills....

I took a knife to each wire...cut the insulation (NOT THE WIRE) and exposed the wire....once that was done i wrapped the wire from the sill around it, soldered a little and put some electrical tape....and back in the wire loom....

I will put some pix up today....
Can you please post the pics?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:02 PM

I have some pix....not too detailed but will post them up....gimme 10-15 minutes....
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks sick!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: DIY: Illuminated Side Sills (LED Overlays from Supercomputers)