3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone else get the paint/interior protection?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 02:29 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did anyone else get the paint/interior protection?

Did anyone else get the paint/interior protection? I got it because it seems like a good deal. It’s covers paint and interior for up to five years. They said even if some one keyed my car it would be covered and they would fix it for free. Also if I ripped the leather seat some how it would be fixed for free even if it were my fault. I figured this would come in handy. Maybe when the seats look old I will rip the leather and get a new seat every year. No more wrinkles. :lol2:
Old 11-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did too, also the sound protection. I like the way they do the leather protection and all the other surfaces separately including scotchguarding the carpets.

What they promised you seems odd and I have never heard of anyone giving such an offer. Are you sure? Is it in writing? I know if you have an accident they will re-apply rustproofing/paint protection etc either for free or by insurance.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Advanced

Still waiting for my white pearl to come in. How much did your paint protection cost?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Banned

Angry

Protection packages are always dealer rip offs. At best they offer no additional protection, at worse they may harm what they were supposed to protect. Smart car shoppers should stay away from dealers that "offer" these things (no car manufacturer offers these) its a sure sign of a bottom feeder dealership.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Protection packages are always dealer rip offs. At best they offer no additional protection, at worse they may harm what they were supposed to protect. Smart car shoppers should stay away from dealers that "offer" these things (no car manufacturer offers these) its a sure sign of a bottom feeder dealership.
Sorry don't completely agree. I have had paint protection on all my cars for decades and it does protect from fading, bird dropings etc. Its easier to wash and nothing sticks to the surface. As far as "smart shoppers" are concerned, smart shoppers should always beware of rip-offs and shop around. In my particular case my dealer is using the company I would have chosen anyway and I am getting a good deal. Why should I bother running around from shop to shop for this treatment and another somewhere else for something else?

I particularly appreciate the treatments when I am plowing through snow and salt in the winter. The carpet simonizing is great.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jss1
Sorry don't completely agree. I have had paint protection on all my cars for decades and it does protect from fading, bird dropings etc. Its easier to wash and nothing sticks to the surface. As far as "smart shoppers" are concerned, smart shoppers should always beware of rip-offs and shop around. In my particular case my dealer is using the company I would have chosen anyway and I am getting a good deal. Why should I bother running around from shop to shop for this treatment and another somewhere else for something else?

I particularly appreciate the treatments when I am plowing through snow and salt in the winter. The carpet simonizing is great.
Which dealer did you buy your car from, and which company did the paint protection. I am also in Toronto. I am getting mine in a couple of weeks, so your info will be helpful.
Regards.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 00TLOwner
Which dealer did you buy your car from, and which company did the paint protection. I am also in Toronto. I am getting mine in a couple of weeks, so your info will be helpful.
Regards.
Downtown Acura. I haven't had it done yet as my car doesn't arrive until sometime next month. They use Perma-Plate. I like them as they have been around for over 20 years and the warranty is fix or replace. I have had bad experiences with Ziebart and Vytal, but this one has worked well for me. The warranty is transferrable when you sell.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Instructor

I would say it is rare to find a dealer that doesn't at least offer these treatements these days. I've noticed that at least half of the Acura dealers here in Houston have these "packages" listed on the cars on their lots.

Many dealers use this as a tactic to give the customer a freebee for not much cost. I'm sure we have all heard the infamous "we'll throw in the protection package for nothing" when we deal for our new cars.

Personally, I don't want these packages, and won't pay for them. When I am ready to buy a TL, I will request that they do not put this stuff on. Also, dealers love to give the excuse that "it came from the factory/port that way". Don't believe them. I've seen cars without this stuff, so that is bull.

If the package came with the car for free I'll take it, but I refuse to give a dealer $500 for something that probably cost them $50. If they do come with guarantees or warranties, get them in writing and make sure someone reputable is accountable. A lot of times the warranty is from the protection manufacturer not the dealer and if you car rusts or fades the dealer passes on the responsibility and it becomes a nightmare getting them to stand behind their product.

I'm sure some of these packages are good and do help, but just be aware of what you are getting for your money and don't let the salesperson pull the wool over your eyes. If I paid for paint protection or rust proofing, there had better be an iron clad guarantee from the dealer, a reputable company or Acura behind it.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Banned

Jss I would love to see what this magic potion consists of. I happen to personally know one of the top chemists at mobil corpation, I'm pretty sure she would love to know what it is too!!!!!I know a product that does all you say it does It's called wax!!! It's pretty cheap takes some elbow grease and if you buy a good one it may last a couple mths.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Banned

I just forgot, the reason paint holds so much better now is called clear coat. In order to damage a car's paint through weathering or chemicals is to get through 4 layers of transparent paint, thus making any paint damage aside from chips and deep scratches a thing of the past.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Jss I would love to see what this magic potion consists of. I happen to personally know one of the top chemists at mobil corpation, I'm pretty sure she would love to know what it is too!!!!!I know a product that does all you say it does It's called wax!!! It's pretty cheap takes some elbow grease and if you buy a good one it may last a couple mths.
Ha ha ha. Tried that route before, including a cordless buffer and I couldn't be bothered. Each to his own. I haven't read any arguement to convince me to change what I have been doing for ages. It works for me and I will continue. If I lived in California where there is no salt and nice weather I probably would skip it, but I don't. The roads are salted here for 6 months and its a mess. I like the warranty just as I like the warranty for extended warranty. I don't know why you are so much against this especially when spending over $50,000 CAD for a car. I want it to keep in as good a condition as possible. When I sold my last car after 10 years the paint looked as good as the day I bought it, and it was black.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I've always heard paint sealant and whatnot are a rip-off nowadays for the same reason that vtechbrain stated. I love the "paint sealant" they provide at car washes where it gets whacked off as soon as it's applied. Yeah, I'm sure that protects your paint for all of 5 seconds.

The fabric protection they used to throw into cars could be had for about $3-$5 in a can of scotchgard you could buy from an autoparts store.

BTW, I got the paint protection thrown in for "free".
Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Advanced

I live in Chicago. We have some pretty rough winters with snow, ice, salt, etc. I have never had any problem with any of my cars, and none of them were treated with any extra protection.

The factory paintjob/rust-protection is so good on a modern car that it is entirely unnecessary to augment it with an expensive aftermarket treatment. It's basically pure profit for the dealership. I have no problem with a dealership that offers it, but no repectable dealership should keep on pushing it once you say no. If they do, I would walk right out the door and buy the car somewhere else.

Remember that scene in Fargo when William H. Macy was pushing the tru-coat. Now that was some funny stuff!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro

You guys will get a kick out of this http://www.buy-and-sell-car-secrets.com/CAr-tips-2.html He or she talks about the paint sealent/protectant.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so has anybody used this 5 star shine product??