Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

destination charges??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
destination charges??

what are destination charges? is destination charge included in +++ (Tax tag title)? what are the other charges dealers try to slip in besides these charges?

I am about to buy a 06 TL and can hardly wait now. But i want to make sure i get the best possilbe deal. thanks for readin the post.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Racer

Thumbs up Consumer Reports

You need to perform more research before stepping into the dealership. My recommendation is to follow the link that I am providing and spend the money to buy a report or better yet, spend the money to get the three month subscription and learn.

Consumer Reports Car Buying Kit
Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Destination charges = freight charges. It's the cost charged by a common carrier to deliver product to some destination. You pay this for anything you buy which is shipped, regardless of whether or not it's shown on a price sticker. It's one of the costs passed on to the consumer.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Destination charges = freight charges. It's the cost charged by a common carrier to deliver product to some destination. You pay this for anything you buy which is shipped, regardless of whether or not it's shown on a price sticker. It's one of the costs passed on to the consumer.
but if the car is already at the dealership they shouldn't charge me destination fee right?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

The destination charge (listed as destination and handling on Acura's window sticker) is part of the cost of the vehicle and is passed onto the consumer. Some dealers quote prices on vehicles without the destination charge (making the vehicle price lower than it actually is) and then tell you destination is additional at time of purchase. As an Acura sales consultant I always quote customers a price that includes destination. Any dealer that quotes a price without destination should be avoided.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Those so called destination charges are BS don't buy a car from a dealer that says you have to pay that charge its like you paying for the electric bill while they hold the car for you and the water they used to wash your car when it got there. That should all be in their own overhead cost what next they charge you to walk into a dealership or pay to park your car while you look at cars??
Old 02-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by pzero23
Those so called destination charges are BS don't buy a car from a dealer that says you have to pay that charge its like you paying for the electric bill while they hold the car for you and the water they used to wash your car when it got there. That should all be in their own overhead cost what next they charge you to walk into a dealership or pay to park your car while you look at cars??
It doesn't matter. You're going to pay for it whether it's shown as a separate item on the sticker of is included in the price of the vehicle. Just like anything else you buy.

Suppose you decide to buy a 6-pack of 60 watt lamps from your local Home Depot. When Home Depot issued their purchase order for lamps from, say, Sylvania, they made sure that the order was large enough "to make freight". This is usually either a weight or a dollar factor. But you can be certain that the cost of shipping those lamps to the regional Home Depot warehouse was included in the net cost of the order.

Same with anything else you buy that gets shipped (which is to say just about everything). You buy a new jacket from a retailer at let's say $200 and just suppose the economies of scale shipping costs worked out to $3 for that jacket. Don't you think the $3 is in the cost of the jacket? Along with hiring people and cleaning floors and keeping the lights on and paying taxes and everything else that goes into running a business. And don't you think this is a good thing? This is the engine and the beauty of capitalism.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Advanced

I am pretty sure up here in Canada the freight charge is the same no matter where you live. It is averaged out so that we all pay roughly the same, or I was led to believe that anyways. I guess what I am saying is that if you live a block away from the port the car comes in at you paying the same as the guy who needs the car shipped to the middle or clear across the entire country.