Sponsored by:

Depreciation for '04 6MT Nav

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 05:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Depreciation for '04 6MT Nav

All,

What do you think the TL is going to depreciate in a year? Knowing that the car is basically going for MSRP now ... do you think an '04 TL this time next year will be in the high 20s?
Old 11-26-2003, 05:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Depreciation for '04 6MT Nav

Originally posted by acbrisker
All,

What do you think the TL is going to depreciate in a year? Knowing that the car is basically going for MSRP now ... do you think an '04 TL this time next year will be in the high 20s?
I've heard that the manual transmission model will depreciate faster than the automatic due to much less demand. This would be consistent with all other manufactures with the exception of high end cars like Porsche etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

I saw a CNN survey that said Acura was one of the top 5 manufacturers that held the most resale value after 3 years and was over 50% at 3 years.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:37 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a survey posted last year on this site, maybe by Consumer's Report or J.D. Powers, that specifically ranked the Acura TL #7 out of all cars in holding the most value. There were some other Hondas in the top 10, like the S2000.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Depreciation for '04 6MT Nav

Originally posted by Jss1
I've heard that the manual transmission model will depreciate faster than the automatic due to much less demand. This would be consistent with all other manufactures with the exception of high end cars like Porsche etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

I saw a CNN survey that said Acura was one of the top 5 manufacturers that held the most resale value after 3 years and was over 50% at 3 years.
From the other threads on availability, it would appear that Honda underestimated the demand for 6MTs and Nav cars.

The conventional wisdom regarding poor resale and low volume on manual transmission cars is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Company's that abandoned the manual market now are skeptical to return because their demographics indicate low sales volumes. If they had cultivated the sporty image with more than just spoilers and pin-stripes, they may have the kind of manual following that marques like BMW enjoy.

The residual values I have been quoted on leases are the same for manuals and automatics.

I would expect 6MT cars to be worth as much or more than 5AT cars, since there appear to be far more 5ATs around.

For many people, including myself, the 6MT is an absolute requirement. Without it, the TL wouldn't have gotten a second look from me. (Too bad it may turn out to be the reason I don't get a TL)