Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deposit

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deposit

I went to my dealer to test drive the new TL. We talked about pricing issues and the price range was as expected from a DC area dealer. The thing that really confused me was that he said that the deposit was not refundable. Now, 99.999% that I won't need to get it back, as I want to purchase the car, but it would be nice to have that option. Also, I've heard, from this board, that some dealers start to play games with you once they have your deposit and can't get it back, aka, paid with cash or check. Is my understanding that most times the deposit refundable incorrect?

BTW, I'm working with Alex, the internet sales guy from Pohanka Acura, I know some of you worked with him too and there are mixed reactions, anybody that has worked with him have any comments on him or this issue?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:01 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Deposite is always refundable. If it is not, you should get the contract written from the dealer on price, all details and delivery date. If they do not honor it, you can get it back. I think by law they cannot have a non-refundable deposite unless they write the terms.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:14 AM
Banned

I have never left a deposit, and probably never will. I allow them to check my credit, then order the car based on my word. If that isn't good enough for them (only once did they refuse to abide by my terms in 12 years), then I take my business to another dealership.

So I suggest you not leave a deposit, especially if they are telling you it is none refundable.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2004, 04:03 AM
Intermediate

I left a deposit with Radley Acura. They told me it was 100% refundable. They told me even if you sign the papers, you haven't bought the car until you drive off the lot.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
It's completely up to the dealer. But I would certainly want to have their deposit/refund policy on the sales order. The first dealer I went to said the deposit was 100% refundable with no questions asked. I gave em $500 but went back two weeks later when I got a better price from a different dealer. The refunded my money no questions. The second dealer took $1000 deposit and said in no uncertain terms that the deposit was non refundable and had me initial a paragraph with their terms.