Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decklid Spoiler Install Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decklid Spoiler Install Question...

Does the OEM decklid spoiler attach with some sort of adhesive or is there drilling involved?

Many thanks!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Instructor

I just installed one on my TL last weekend.
The process is significantly more involved than simply taping.

You have to measure and drill the sheet metal. (not complicated and the instructions are superb).
Then you have to take the sound proofing and carpet out of the trunk lid. about a dozen pop out clamps and 1 screw.
Then you have to install and sticky tape the decklid spoiler.
After you do this, and very a little known fact is that you have to replace one of the torsion springs of the trunk. This is to have the same action when you pop the trunk as when the spoiler wasn't attached. And yes, even the small weight of the decklid spoiler is enough to affect the way the trunk opens.
For this you need a special tool (A friend who works for honda was kind enough to lend it mo me). I think that whitout this tool, it would be next to impossible to do the job right. The new torsion spring requires significant force to get in place. I don't think a screwdriver would be enough leverage.
After this, you replace all of the soundproofing and carpet panels and you are done with the job.

Highly recommend the look of the spoiler.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:38 AM
10th Gear

rkilian,
does the kit comes with the torsion spring for the trunk?

thanks
Old 01-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Yes, the kit comes complete with the spoiler, spring and two nuts for the bolts. It also comes with a tempate to determine the distance from the edge of the trunk to the bolt hole.
The instructions are not part of the kit nor is the tool required to remove/reinstall the torsion spring.
I would not attempt to install this spring without the tool. You can always leve the trunk without the new spring but it will not "pop" open, it will simply unlock and stay very close to it's locked position.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the reply! I was kinda hoping it wasn't just a peel-and-stick affair. I've replaced the torsion springs in the trunk before and I would never try it without the special tool.

I'm this close to ordering the decklid spoiler as I think it's pretty subtle yet adds a nice finish to the rear of the car.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Racer

I'd say go for it. I really love it on mine.. I did not install the torsion spring, and my trunk open a decent amount. Almosthalf way open.. ...

but definately go with the decklid over the other ugly true rear spoiler.