Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealership service experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up dealership service experience

so.........after a long wait for the right time to get my 07 switchblade keys activated for my 06 TL & 05 TSX. I finally decided to give it a try.

I've read through everything, returned the blank 07 switchblade keys back to the dealership and ordered the premilled blank 07 switchblade keys here. Took them to the locksmith and got them cut for free since they liked the remote so much. They couldn't programmed the keys so they needed to get them done at the Acura dealerships.

Yesterday I've decided to call Richmond Acura to book an appointment for programming my keys and remote. The guy on the phone kept telling me "It's not doable! and NO it can't be done!!!! The 07 keys use different chips!!" He kept going on and on about his over 10 years experiences part guy said it's not doable and he knows his stuff!! I told him that guy doesn't know enough and hang up.
Price was $64CDN+tax to get one programmed.

I've called Lougheed Acura and they were fully booked, the guy told me he wasn't sure if it'll work though.
Same price, $64CDN+tax to get it done.

So finally I called Burrard Acura and booked an appointment, but I didn't tell them about the 07 and 06 key part, I just said I wanted to book an appointment to program my keys.
Price quoted $55CDN+tax.

Here's the story today:
I went to Burrard Acura and showed this guy who was pretty professional with his manner the 07 switchblade keys with my 06 remotes and keys. He wasn't sure if they can program the SB keys, but his answer to me was "I don't know if it'll work, but we'll give it a try." That was the answer I wanted to hear.
Unlike Richmond Acura, that guy thinks he knows everything and replied me with one word "NO".

Then his coworker walked by and he asked him if this mod will work and he answered him the same word "NO! 07 keys use different chips!!!" He kept saying it wouldn't work. I said it will work and he told me he'd like to see me prove him wrong, and he said I am pretty sure 100% it won't work.

So the guy who serviced me took my keys and I waited there for an hour, looked at the new RDX and MDX.

My service guy came back out after and told me "hey apparently it worked!!"
I gave him a thumb up and paid my fee.
His coworker that wanted me to prove him wrong didn't even dare to look into my eyes, he didn't say anything and he had his head down looking away on his computer screen.

So many service guys think they know everything, but they don't! If they don't know the answer, say I don't know. Don't say NO to every questions that they don't know when they haven't experienced it.

So this is to all 04-06 TL owners, the 07 switchblade keys WILL work with either US and Canadian models. Don't take " " for an answer PERIOD.

I am loving the new key! Gonna get my other key done for the 05 TSX soon.
Thanks Acurazine!!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats showing them. Good job. I hate it when the dealership ppl give you a bunch of b.s.

I wanted to ask you if your TL when you purchased it had the little cap removed? The cap I am talking about is the small cap on the gear box where the key fits into it. I am not sure if they come with it or not but I asked the salesmen at Acura and he said it is supposed to be like that. I just hope he is not giving me a bunch of B.S. I live in Toronto and I want to know if this is true with all Canadian TL's. I know in some pics at Acurazine alot of US owners have that little cap on. I hope you know what I am talking about.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
01 CL_S SMR

Hey nice job sticking to your guns with that, you should go to those other dealerships and take them the keys as if they are blanks and ask them to program them, when they say it won't work unlock the car in their face!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Engineer

Originally Posted by Syed
I wanted to ask you if your TL when you purchased it had the little cap removed?
All TLs should have the caps there, they probably broke it and didn't want to replace it.
My TL came with the cap to cover the key hole.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:08 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lights
His coworker that wanted me to prove him wrong didn't even dare to look into my eyes, he didn't say anything and he had his head down looking away on his computer screen.
I would have walked over, tapped him on the shoulder and said "Excuse me, but do you mind bringing your ass outside so I can show you it works? Oh, I'm sorry, I just noticed that you can't come because you're too busy EATING CROW!!!" Idiot!

I love these damn good feel stories! I friggin' love 'em!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Pro

My dealership said the same thing. I said "There are about 100 people I know that have had it done. Just try it."

The service advisor disappeared behind the parts counter for about 5 minutes, and finally agreed to give it a try.

Of course, it worked. I then had the parts guy and 2 other service advisors grilling me in the waiting room as to where I got the blank.

All I said was, "I had it made." I wouldn't tell them where. They were mystified, and I'm sure, still are.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:26 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lights
so.........after a long wait for the right time to get my 07 switchblade keys activated for my 06 TL & 05 TSX. I finally decided to give it a try.

I've read through everything, returned the blank 07 switchblade keys back to the dealership and ordered the premilled blank 07 switchblade keys here. Took them to the locksmith and got them cut for free since they liked the remote so much. They couldn't programmed the keys so they needed to get them done at the Acura dealerships.

Yesterday I've decided to call Richmond Acura to book an appointment for programming my keys and remote. The guy on the phone kept telling me "It's not doable! and NO it can't be done!!!! The 07 keys use different chips!!" He kept going on and on about his over 10 years experiences part guy said it's not doable and he knows his stuff!! I told him that guy doesn't know enough and hang up.
Price was $64CDN+tax to get one programmed.

I've called Lougheed Acura and they were fully booked, the guy told me he wasn't sure if it'll work though.
Same price, $64CDN+tax to get it done.

So finally I called Burrard Acura and booked an appointment, but I didn't tell them about the 07 and 06 key part, I just said I wanted to book an appointment to program my keys.
Price quoted $55CDN+tax.

Here's the story today:
I went to Burrard Acura and showed this guy who was pretty professional with his manner the 07 switchblade keys with my 06 remotes and keys. He wasn't sure if they can program the SB keys, but his answer to me was "I don't know if it'll work, but we'll give it a try." That was the answer I wanted to hear.
Unlike Richmond Acura, that guy thinks he knows everything and replied me with one word "NO".

Then his coworker walked by and he asked him if this mod will work and he answered him the same word "NO! 07 keys use different chips!!!" He kept saying it wouldn't work. I said it will work and he told me he'd like to see me prove him wrong, and he said I am pretty sure 100% it won't work.

So the guy who serviced me took my keys and I waited there for an hour, looked at the new RDX and MDX.

My service guy came back out after and told me "hey apparently it worked!!"
I gave him a thumb up and paid my fee.

So many service guys think they know everything, but they don't! If they don't know the answer, say I don't know. Don't say NO to every questions that they don't know when they haven't experienced it.

So this is to all 04-06 TL owners, the 07 switchblade keys WILL work with either US and Canadian models. Don't take " " for an answer PERIOD.

I am loving the new key! Gonna get my other key done for the 05 TSX soon.
Thanks Acurazine!!
This is just my opinion that most dealership's services adviser are worthless.

I am glad you show them it will work.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Engineer

Originally Posted by Presto
Hey nice job sticking to your guns with that, you should go to those other dealerships and take them the keys as if they are blanks and ask them to program them, when they say it won't work unlock the car in their face!
I might just do that to the service guy at Richmond Acura.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Presto
Unfortunately you don't need the chip programmed to open the car.

Lights... Great story BTW.

You might want to point out to the dealer that there's a "V" stamped on the switchblade key. (I make sure it stays on the key when I machine them). The "V" designates what chip is in the key. In this case a "Type 4" chip and FWIW... the keys that came with your car also have "V's" stamped on them.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who cut the switchblade a locksmith? or acura?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Syed
Thats showing them. Good job. I hate it when the dealership ppl give you a bunch of b.s.

I wanted to ask you if your TL when you purchased it had the little cap removed? The cap I am talking about is the small cap on the gear box where the key fits into it. I am not sure if they come with it or not but I asked the salesmen at Acura and he said it is supposed to be like that. I just hope he is not giving me a bunch of B.S. I live in Toronto and I want to know if this is true with all Canadian TL's. I know in some pics at Acurazine alot of US owners have that little cap on. I hope you know what I am talking about.

That little cap came in a little zip lock bag in both my TL's, if its missing its because someone did not put it in. Also, if you are not required to have a front liscense plate the plugs (painted the color of the car) are also in a little baggy in the glove compartment. At least that has been my experiance and what I have been told by the dealership when my front plugs were missing.

Great job on the Switch blade, that might be a nice mod in the future, and easy... no dissasembly required!!!