Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer trying to pull a fast one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer trying to pull a fast one?

I have a 2005 TL that I bought in Dec 07. I just received the "Service Due Soon" message with the code "A1" (oil change and tire rotation). So I called the dealer where I bought the car from to see if they could perform this service after they finish the recall notice regarding the windshield wiper motor and the power steering issue. The dealer told me I missed the "60,000 mile maintence" and wanted to know if I wanted that done instead for $500+.

I thought there was no 60,000 mile maintence required for the car and that the MID will tell you what service you need? I called a different dealer and they told me to just use the MID codes. I also checked the manual oline and in my car and I didn't see anything regarding specific mile maintenance.

I liked my original dealer and referred my father to them to check out the new RL but I'm not sure if I can trust them anymore.

The A1 service will cost me around $60 there. Doing it myself is not an option. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
doesn't surprise me
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Pro

and the Stealership strikes again
Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't even have to read the post, the title said it all. Car dealers are only lying when their mouths are moving, it's the easiest way to tell.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The RECALL for the ps hoses and the wiper motor are very important- thats why they are recalls! Its free!!!- cost you nothing for those repairs- get them done ASAP- the power steering hose can leak-break- at the connection iirc- spray flammable on hot surface of exhaust- not good- underhood fire is possible
Call the dealer back and ask if they have the PS hoses for your year in stock- there was some back-orders because of the amount of cars- 3 years worth, all needing these hoses replaced at once

the service writers job is to create income for the shop- cant blame them for trying to do their job.
Mid vs miles method will always be different- if you are old school- 60k miles/3 years- its time to change the brake fluid- flush it completly, change the ps fluid- which they will do with the new hoses-, so thats taken care of for you,
inspect the brake pads and rotors,
new engine air filter and cabin air filter should be replaced every year- cabin filter should be replaced every year and if not done before- they ream you on labor on this job Simple DIY--engine air filters last about the same time- a year
Give the car the once over- look at the cv boots for tears-leaks
Seafoam treatment- fuel induction cleaning service will help- and some NGK Iridium spark plugs will make it run like new- I know the book says 105- we are talking real world trying to get best performance for max fuel economy.

See a private shop for these things after the dealer does the recall fixes
Look in the real phone book under automobile repairing, one or more will have honda/acura listed or have a pic of same in the ad
Those guys will know about your type of car and what is commonly needed at this mileage, based on what other cars like it need when they come in.
Seafoam the engine to clean sludge from oil- see the DIY, makes a huge differance now and in the long run for the engine. Just pour 1/3 can into engine oil and drive to oil change place/shop doing work. Put the other 2/3 can in the gas tank when its a bit below half.

Thats what I would do at 60k miles
Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Acura Owner Advocate

Not All Dealers And Service Personal Are Looking To Rob You, Many Like Myself Have Yours And The Cars Best Interest In Mind. If There Is Ever Any Question On What They Are Recommended Is Required Or Not Check Your Mantenance Manual. It Will Also Decode What Each Letter And Number Mean On Your Maintenance Minder. And To Answer Your Question You Are Correct There Is No 60k Service For That Car And You Can Go To An Independent Shop But I Would Recommend You Make Sure They Use Honda/acura Parts And Fluids At Least And Mark In Your Maintnenance. Journal Date Mileage And What Was Done And Get A Receipt! Also Keep In Mind Those Indepent Shops Do Not Have Access To The Latest Updates And Maintenance Procedures That Acura Puts Out To Better Take Care Of Your Car I Am Constantly Fixing Things That These Back Yard Mechanics Screw Up.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SERVICEADVISOR
Not All Dealers And Service Personal Are Looking To Rob You, Many Like Myself Have Yours And The Cars Best Interest In Mind. If There Is Ever Any Question On What They Are Recommended Is Required Or Not Check Your Mantenance Manual. It Will Also Decode What Each Letter And Number Mean On Your Maintenance Minder. And To Answer Your Question You Are Correct There Is No 60k Service For That Car And You Can Go To An Independent Shop But I Would Recommend You Make Sure They Use Honda/acura Parts And Fluids At Least And Mark In Your Maintnenance. Journal Date Mileage And What Was Done And Get A Receipt! Also Keep In Mind Those Indepent Shops Do Not Have Access To The Latest Updates And Maintenance Procedures That Acura Puts Out To Better Take Care Of Your Car I Am Constantly Fixing Things That These Back Yard Mechanics Screw Up.
Wow this was hard to read
Old 07-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

not really-I think that typing style is being emphatic without shouting---
He is an actual current acura service advisor working for several years at the same place.
He gets us secret info~ so be nice!

I often suggest a private shop for those who dont DIY, because my car is older and past normal warranty- so I think of doing things myself, or spending only what I have to.
Others who didnt grow up working on cars are dependant on the system of repair techs
The dealer is the place for certain jobs you want done right the first time by a trained and practiced tech,,,not be the first one of these they have done!! It cost a bit more but it was done right--like valve adjustments

He makes an important point- especially newer cars- there are factory Service bulletins and info/updates that they have access to for making the car run its best.
The problem often lay in the communication of the phone person and the customer, just as in any business- the phone and desk staff are the first line reps.

You want to know if they can do a specific service, and you dont get a straight answer.
Some people are good at their job and some are not- just like in the real world~
Going in and looking at the shop- is it clean and organized- are things running smoothly- talk to the service writer in person and they can take the time to look up specifics for your car- run the VIN for any recalls to take care of while its there etc
On the phone- when there are 5 customers at the counter and 4 on hold, you may not get the best info. Its just a human trying to help them after all
Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Acura Owner Advocate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
not really-I think that typing style is being emphatic without shouting---
He is an actual current acura service advisor working for several years at the same place.
He gets us secret info~ so be nice!

I often suggest a private shop for those who dont DIY, because my car is older and past normal warranty- so I think of doing things myself, or spending only what I have to.
Others who didnt grow up working on cars are dependant on the system of repair techs
The dealer is the place for certain jobs you want done right the first time by a trained and practiced tech,,,not be the first one of these they have done!! It cost a bit more but it was done right--like valve adjustments

He makes an important point- especially newer cars- there are factory Service bulletins and info/updates that they have access to for making the car run its best.
The problem often lay in the communication of the phone person and the customer, just as in any business- the phone and desk staff are the first line reps.

You want to know if they can do a specific service, and you dont get a straight answer.
Some people are good at their job and some are not- just like in the real world~
Going in and looking at the shop- is it clean and organized- are things running smoothly- talk to the service writer in person and they can take the time to look up specifics for your car- run the VIN for any recalls to take care of while its there etc
On the phone- when there are 5 customers at the counter and 4 on hold, you may not get the best info. Its just a human trying to help them after all
wow! you hit the nail on the head. really well said!
Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Advanced

DIY on all maintainence items or find an independent shop. Dealer is a last resort...........I mean a VERY last resort. In addition, most dealers are extremely arrogant which adds salt to the overcharging wound.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

What's your take on the Dealerships pushing 15,000 mile, 60,000 mile, etc service, when the MID and Owners Manual direct the consumer otherwise?

Why aren't the *dealers* following the manufacturers recommended service intervals?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Acura Owner Advocate

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
What's your take on the Dealerships pushing 15,000 mile, 60,000 mile, etc service, when the MID and Owners Manual direct the consumer otherwise?

Why aren't the *dealers* following the manufacturers recommended service intervals?
Acura factory discourages us from selling anything other than what's in the maintenance journal we at my delaership only sell factory recommended service no flushes! that is the biggest no no, the only flush that should be done on the car is brake fluid and thats every 3 years. unfortunetly acura is not strict enough with dealers selling extra service remember follow you maintenance journal it will keep your acura running as designed for many years
Old 11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered Losers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went to my Acura dealer here in New York and she recommended,
Fuel and Emissions System Cleaning for $230.00, I have 22807 miles on her
(2006 TL A/T). She said it should be done every 20,000 miles. At first I agreed then declined the service. Should I have it done or not?

I always followed the maintenance minder, today I had my power stearing hose recall done, oil change, oil filter change, and engine air filter change.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Just my $0.02

I currently take my 06 TL to the local Goodyear dealer and have my CTS serviced there as well. They know me, I trust them, and they don't overbill me. I bring them the supplies I want them to use (I use Mobil 1 Oil/filter), and they charge me for what services I request. I follow the MID and generally change my oil at 7000 mile intervals at which time I usually rotate the tires. I usually pay <$15 for the oil change and ~ $20 for the tire rotation (yes, I know I can do it at home), and they torque the wheels properly. This is completely within warranty requirements (see Magnusson-Moss Act). In this way, maintenance on my car is pretty inexpensive.

15K, 30K, 45K, and 60K mile services are simple a waste of $$$ and pure dealer profit.

I would take the car to the dealer more for warranty engine/ transmission work if it was needed or for the timing belt/ water pump change (I don't have to worry about that for quite a while - 34K on the odometer).

Cars can be 'overmaintained' because we worry too much about what likely won't happen. Follow the manual.

RE: the fuel system cleaning: I only did this once on my 00 TL when the gas pedal was sticking a little, but don't think it's required unless you have a problem.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

A few things to consider:

Fuel cleaning treatments really are important- with the use of 10% ethanol in our gas, it leaves behind a lot of crud. All that needs to get blasted off now and then, so things like piston tops are clean. Combustion prefers clean to carbon!!
If you like seafoam or bg or wynns- those are all good brands- redline is good in the fuel tank- its an easy DIY you can do for 20 bucks and the car will run better or your money back!

Acura says brake fluid flush starting at year 3 - then every year forever.
Thats a good schedule to follow. If you live in harsh weather area- change it sooner than year 3 to be safe. Brakes are a very important part of the car~
Moisture gets in the fluid (see hygroscopic) and is bad news-
Flushing the brake fluid every year is cheap insurance against ABS part or brake part failure $$$$
Calipers fail and may not work or may get stuck partially on...thats fun

When looking at MID figures and the maitenance book, consider if you are in the Severe Service useage. Short trips in town, stop and go commute etc.
Those all cut down the allowable miles between service, and the service may include checking extra things.

Any shop should have a printed list of what is done on each service being offered
We used to call them minor service or major service or basic oil service, on other makes of car,,,now they call them miles or A B C or 15 30 60...whatevers
Read the book- look at your fluids condition

Power steering fluid is another one to get changed around 60 IMO
The brake fluid is my personal crusade- get people on fresh fluid!!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

the smart peson does the little things themself- supposed to happen on the service but may not
Lube all the door hinges and locks- use silicone spray on rubber door edge seals and sunroof seal

It helps to wax any painted area that touches rubber seal- door sill -trunk edges..
Will keep them from freezing shut in winter cold
Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered Losers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the speedy response guys.
I think I'm a worrier when it comes to maintenance.

she did say something about it cleaning the injectors.

anyway I think I will wait until its time to change the plugs and the 30k service to do it.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Team Owner

the plugs are fine to 60k, nor required then by the book but many people find its a good time for max performance and mileage.

Every 15k miles/once a year is good to do a fuel system cleaning
If you own a tv you have seen the shell commercials with gunk buildup on valve in just 5000 miles on cheap brand gas. With good brand gas its a little better but still needs a good blast clean now and then
You can find complete DIY info for Seafoam/Deep Creep on azine
Same product is used in many of the cleaning machines, and been around since 1940
for the 100-150 shops charge you can do it at home for 20
Old 11-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Team Owner

3stage
Its good to be on top of maitenance- nothing wrong with taking extra good care of your car. These things run many years, over 200,000 miles on the engine and running strong is normal! If you dont drive very much, or do a lot of short trips or stop and go commute, its ok to change the oil at 3500 miles to be extra safe.
otherwise 7500 on good oil
The MID does not know HOW you drive, only how much since last reset
Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Team Owner

I have seen some cars from the East coast get a lot of corrosion at the hub the brake rotor contact--check yours
the rotors are crusted on!
Good to take everything apart, clean and lube, or in a year or 2 when you need to replace rotors, they will be stuck like superglue
Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
been there, done that

Originally Posted by lembowski
Wow this was hard to read
Acura factory discourages us from selling anything other than what's in the maintenance journal we at my delaership only sell factory recommended service no flushes! that is the biggest no no, the only flush that should be done on the car is brake fluid and thats every 3 years. unfortunetly acura is not strict enough with dealers selling extra service remember follow you maintenance journal it will keep your acura running as designed for many years
where can i find this so called maintenance journal ?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Team Owner

its in the back of the owner manual- a book filled with important info about TCS and ABS sytem operation-when and why~
If your book is missing- a free version is available to read online or download
click your cars year, then model- wait- pdf file opens and go to index for anything you need https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
register with acura customer care 1-800-382-2238 x5 and http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
That way they can contact you in event of recall- and you can check if any recalls outstanding on your ride now.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 AM
been there, done that

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
its in the back of the owner manual- a book filled with important info about TCS and ABS sytem operation-when and why~
If your book is missing- a free version is available to read online or download
click your cars year, then model- wait- pdf file opens and go to index for anything you need https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
register with acura customer care 1-800-382-2238 x5 and http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
That way they can contact you in event of recall- and you can check if any recalls outstanding on your ride now.
U DA MAN
Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

what I know about the TL I learned on acurazine!!
the rest of it is from being raised on racecars bikes boats and airplanes