Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dealer scratched my paint!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The dealer scratched my paint!!!

I can not believe what happened to my car today. I dropped it off at 0915 for some warranty work and oil change. I circled "NO" to the courtesy car wash. And when I went to pick up my 06 NBP TL, I was speechless. My hood, fenders, roof, window panel, and rear bumper looked like someone dragged rocks across my car. I just spent 6hrs on Sunday with the Porter Cable and Mequiar products.
My serviceman, salesperson, both GM's and the Owner came out to see what had happened. The owner said that he will first try to buff it out and if not, offered to repaint the car. I called Geico while I was talking to the "owner. Geico said to let the owner try to fix the problem and if not to my satisfaction (original look) that they will seek a claim against the dealer. The Insurance adjuster from Geico is to check out the car prior to anywork being done tomorrow.
Now I'm driving a loaner from the dealer, 06 TSX. Man, I'm so pissed off I dont know what to do. You might see me on Court TV, Forensic Files series.
In case you were wondering which dealer, its the HALL ACURA in Virginia Beach, VA. Other than these they are good.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Advanced

hmmm, that sucks!!

I am looking to get a TL very soon. Will be sure not to have my car washed by them if I get mine from them
Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Same thing happened to me at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly. They were able to buff if out. When I went to pick up the car they had hit another car in the lot, damaging my front bumper on the right side requiring a new bumper, the scrape dug in about a 1/2 inch in most places at about a foot long gash.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Same thing happened to me at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly. They were able to buff if out. When I went to pick up the car they had hit another car in the lot, damaging my front bumper on the right side requiring a new bumper, the scrape dug in about a 1/2 inch in most places at about a foot long gash.
How does your car look now?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Get some pics. If they are just surface scratches which I am sure they are,they will buff right out with some polishing/ very fine grit compound.
I dont trust anyone with my car, sorry to hear about yours.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Advanced

how did they manage to scratch it in so many places?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:37 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
you have any pics?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:40 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo

I pass by that dealership a few days ago with my friends. We drove 2.5 hours to Orisman Toyota in Chantilly to buy his 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder.

nhousepro ....i feel sorry for u man. I just hate it when the dealer think they are doing u a favor by washing ur car. They make things worst. Hope you wont need repaint.

Repaint will devalue your car

Good Luck
Old 09-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
You got off light

Originally Posted by nhousepro
I can not believe what happened to my car today. I dropped it off at 0915 for some warranty work and oil change. I circled "NO" to the courtesy car wash. And when I went to pick up my 06 NBP TL, I was speechless. My hood, fenders, roof, window panel, and rear bumper looked like someone dragged rocks across my car. I just spent 6hrs on Sunday with the Porter Cable and Mequiar products.
My serviceman, salesperson, both GM's and the Owner came out to see what had happened. The owner said that he will first try to buff it out and if not, offered to repaint the car. I called Geico while I was talking to the "owner. Geico said to let the owner try to fix the problem and if not to my satisfaction (original look) that they will seek a claim against the dealer. The Insurance adjuster from Geico is to check out the car prior to anywork being done tomorrow.
Now I'm driving a loaner from the dealer, 06 TSX. Man, I'm so pissed off I dont know what to do. You might see me on Court TV, Forensic Files series.
In case you were wondering which dealer, its the HALL ACURA in Virginia Beach, VA. Other than these they are good.

Is that all the damage you had? My dealer damaged my 06 tsx twice! The first time, either backed into a wall or ran a tire into my rear bumper. They cleaned that up, then cause swirl marks all or my car. That cost me 300 to get it all buffed out(did not notice till later) Second time (free oil change) the dealer tore a hole in my Aspec bumper. I assume driving the car on some ramps. I got a new replacement bumper. I'm not going to go into what my reactions where. I will tell you, they made the sales and customers come out to the parking lot to see what all the commotion was about. Now I have my own special service manager who I am suppopse to deal with. He is to inspect my car before and after service for ANY damage. I keep my car prinstine and covered. You can put on white gloves and wipe the fender wells of my car and the glove will remain clean. So, I know your pain. Go see the GM of the dealershop and make sure he is aware of what happend and that you are not happy about it. I will tell you, everyone at the dealer knows my car when I bring it.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Netcub
how did they manage to scratch it in so many places?
The guy that washed my car either washed with a dirty clothe or dried with a dirty towel. All the scratches where consistant with the motion of the dried up water marks left on the car.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OMG how am I not surprised. Hall acura that is. Last friday when I traded in my TL on a RSX the dealership had 3 RSX-s' on the lot. 1 white, 1 black, and 1 gray. When they told me they had a black on black I was like really ok I wanna see it. I go to the back and look at it. That car was scrathed from head to toe. It had 2 dents on the trunk with 4" scratches steming from the dents like a garage door fell on it or something. It looked like the car was 10 years old. The plate on the car said HALL. When I told my friend at the dealership who was working the deal for me he said he wasn't surprised. They always get cars that look like crap from them.

I personally hate going to dealers for any warranty work as it always seems like you leave with more problems than when you went in. If I can do it myself and save the hassle of going to the dealer I will. Even if the job is a pain in the ass.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
4th Gear

My buddy had his brand spankin new Mercedes ML450 damaged first by the dealer (drove it back into his house and hit the garage wall!), the dealer totally replaced that car, then a week later, a valet scraped his door panel pretty badly (and tried to stand in front of it, so he'd drive off, and not be able to make a claim).
Old 09-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Racer

Talking

Well I went to pick up my car yesterday. And by the Grace of God, they had buffed the scratches out. Being that I detail my car, I can still see a scracth or two well blended under the paint and clear coat only if I get right up in it: ie eye to paint. I'm just happy that it was taking car of. Now I can call Geico and let the Claims adjuster take a second look at it before I close it out.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I went to pick up my car yesterday. And by the Grace of God, they had buffed the scratches out. Being that I detail my car, I can still see a scracth or two well blended under the paint and clear coat only if I get right up in it: ie eye to paint. I'm just happy that it was taking car of. Now I can call Geico and let the Claims adjuster take a second look at it before I close it out.
I thought it could be buffed out. Good to hear the good news.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We let Acura of Boston clean our car once, not a scratch... However when my father took it to the automated car wash(I wonder why. Probably because I told him NOT to), we got quite a few you can see while detailing the car.

Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
what color was it?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Advanced

Wow. What is it with dealerships and messing up paint? I've never heard so many horror stories. I just got my car back last Wednesday (right before thanksgiving) from the body shop for the fifth time... Now it's covered with swirl marks that I swear weren't there before (It's a new NBP '06 TL, purchased it in end of July); and there's still specs of dust in the paint ... Everytime I go, something new happens with the paint.

I wish that Acura Customer Care would get involved with ensuring that dealerships don't poorly represent the brand. I've told the dealership and Acura that I would've never purchased the car from that dealership had I known this would happen. It appears they all share similar characteristics though.

Dan
Old 11-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dansmith2004
Wow. What is it with dealerships and messing up paint? I've never heard so many horror stories. I just got my car back last Wednesday (right before thanksgiving) from the body shop for the fifth time... Now it's covered with swirl marks that I swear weren't there before (It's a new NBP '06 TL, purchased it in end of July); and there's still specs of dust in the paint ... Everytime I go, something new happens with the paint.
Dan
It's not so much the dealers fault as it is a function of the structure of our society...

The young newbie kid or the unskilled end up (or start) at the bottom.

...which would be the guy that washes cars (one level above the guy that sweeps the floor and empties the trash.

It sucks when it happens but that's just the way things are. My dealer is very complaint (or law suit) conscious. So they do a walk around and note any nicks, scratches, dents etc. before they do any work. When you pick up your car you do a walk around with them. They make sure that they're not going to have to pay to fix anything they don't have to.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Racer

so if the dealer refuses to do anything about it, if i file a claim, will it raise my premium?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Race Director

another reason why car dealers need to have pressurized water car washer instead of brushes.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
so if the dealer refuses to do anything about it, if i file a claim, will it raise my premium?
i don't think so, because insurance will firssay that the dealer is responsible and you should tell them what happened. If they refuse any damage was done, tell you insurance any they will give money to get the car fixed. The insurance company will pursiut the dealer for a settlement. I don't think that the preium will go up since you didn't do anything, but i am not sure.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
another reason why car dealers need to have pressurized water car washer instead of brushes.
Pressurized water doesnt quite cut the road debris IMO. I tried using a do it yourself car wash, w/o using the brush on my vr4, some of the salt came off from the road, but it certainly was not like a brush or sponge.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can anyone tell me what to avoid using when cleaning my car, I'm starting to 2nd guess anything that I do now.